• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Weapons that in our opinions should get nerfed

Which one of the 3 weapons I listed should get a nerf ?

• Dualie Squelchers

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Blaster

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Sloshing Machine

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Yeah in competitive, tentatek and splattershot are just about the only shooters you will see. You might find N-Zaps but most people would rather play sshot than zap so they can slay. And since splat zones is basically the only mode a lot of competitive players play (which is basically team deathmatch) that's why people choose sshot a lot.
Well Splat Zones is the only more that the Japanese play in. I honestly think Clam Blitz is the best more for tournaments and I am kind of surprised that Japanese tournaments are still only Splat Zones. In casual you defintely find a lot more Nzaps

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well Splat Zones is the only more that the Japanese play in. I honestly think Clam Blitz is the best more for tournaments and I am kind of surprised that Japanese tournaments are still only Splat Zones. In casual you defintely find a lot more Nzaps
People only play Splat Zones because it is the least broken mode in the game. Clam Blitz has some stupid exploits and literally breaks sometimes (the power clam is stuck in the "breaking the shield" animation). The exploits include jumping with clams and sneaking in clams from far away hard to defend areas. Also you can score 80 points in 1 second if you have 4 clams after merely killing like 2-3 people. RM and TC aren't even very fun for players on both teams because of stingray on tower and the rain. There's no overtime and comebacks are very difficult and a lot of the match feels like a waste of time. For zones only it requires the most coordination and skill seeing as it's essentially team deathmatch. The whole mode is Kills then Paint then Pressure. The whole mode revolves around good killing skills and special coordination as well as effective pressuring skills which is the most fun and the most competitive. I like the other modes but I fully understand why people play zones only.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Yeah, I can see that. Zones is really about skill. The objective doesn't move so that removes a variable. Tower Control can be won simply by one team or another having more Stingrays to use and that's not really a ton of fun. Rainmaker is essentially a Capture the Flag mode which means, once again, a mobile objective much like Tower Control. Stingrays are less effective, but the rain clouds sure are. I know I am repeating a lot of the points that @Mar$el brought up, but that's because I am airing out the topic a bit more in my mind.

This brings me to Clam Blitz. I like Clam Blitz a lot, I won't lie. But I understand its problems in a competitive scene. Still, with a bit of work, I would say that Clam Blitz could be run for tournament potential. Some of the exploits need to be fixed, but it is a mode that requires skill in finding and holding onto your clams and teamwork in coordinating a successful push to get the clams into the enemy goal. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it at least deserves some thought I feel.

What I'm really trying to get at is that Tower Control sucks.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Yeah, I can see that. Zones is really about skill. The objective doesn't move so that removes a variable. Tower Control can be won simply by one team or another having more Stingrays to use and that's not really a ton of fun. Rainmaker is essentially a Capture the Flag mode which means, once again, a mobile objective much like Tower Control. Stingrays are less effective, but the rain clouds sure are. I know I am repeating a lot of the points that @Mar$el brought up, but that's because I am airing out the topic a bit more in my mind.

This brings me to Clam Blitz. I like Clam Blitz a lot, I won't lie. But I understand its problems in a competitive scene. Still, with a bit of work, I would say that Clam Blitz could be run for tournament potential. Some of the exploits need to be fixed, but it is a mode that requires skill in finding and holding onto your clams and teamwork in coordinating a successful push to get the clams into the enemy goal. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it at least deserves some thought I feel.

What I'm really trying to get at is that Tower Control sucks.
Exploits like super jumping to team mates with clams, something I never do because it’s cheap and unfair.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Exploits like super jumping to team mates with clams, something I never do because it’s cheap and unfair.
But isn't that part of the strategy when it comes to Clam Blitz? Yes, you can jump to a teammate with clams and score some measy points if you time it right, but you can just as easily be wiped by a good defensive player waiting for you to jump in. I know I have taken out a few overly aggressive squids by waiting for the super jump when our barrier is down and proceeded to wipe the enemy team out because they all used the same strategy. Every offense has a suitable defense. For very action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
But isn't that part of the strategy when it comes to Clam Blitz? Yes, you can jump to a teammate with clams and score some measy points if you time it right, but you can just as easily be wiped by a good defensive player waiting for you to jump in. I know I have taken out a few overly aggressive squids by waiting for the super jump when our barrier is down and proceeded to wipe the enemy team out because they all used the same strategy. Every offense has a suitable defense. For very action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
It's pretty much always going to be Power Clams people are jumping with, and it's not possible to splat them before they can throw it. It's a very cheezy strategy that bypasses the Power Clam revealing your location downside. Won't be surprised if they do something about that in the 3.0 update.

the

Inkling Commander
It's pretty much always going to be Power Clams people are jumping with, and it's not possible to splat them before they can throw it. It's a very cheezy strategy that bypasses the Power Clam revealing your location downside. Won't be surprised if they do something about that in the 3.0 update.
Yeah, maybe (if they still wanna make it possible to jump with power clams which for some reason is still a thing), make it impossible to throw clams for like a half second to a second after landing...?

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
With that understanding, perhaps an exception can be made for the Power Clam specifically. Make it so that if you are still allowed to Super Jump with a football, make it so that there is some end lag to that action. Make it so you can't throw it right away. This change would make two things happen:
  1. Make this game type more fair by requiring more skill in sinking the initial Power Clam.
  2. Give some merit to Drop Roller, an ability that is very under utilized at the moment.
It would be one simple change that I think would be welcomed across the community. As much as I like Clam Blitz, I would welcome this nerf as it would encourage better play and even the playing field some more. I hope that this is something that comes when version 3.0 becomes a thing.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
With that understanding, perhaps an exception can be made for the Power Clam specifically. Make it so that if you are still allowed to Super Jump with a football, make it so that there is some end lag to that action. Make it so you can't throw it right away. This change would make two things happen:
  1. Make this game type more fair by requiring more skill in sinking the initial Power Clam.
  2. Give some merit to Drop Roller, an ability that is very under utilized at the moment.
It would be one simple change that I think would be welcomed across the community. As much as I like Clam Blitz, I would welcome this nerf as it would encourage better play and even the playing field some more. I hope that this is something that comes when version 3.0 becomes a thing.
Yeah that would fix it IMO. Also, I think why many people (including myself) don’t like using drop roller is because I feel like it gets pretty out classed by stealth jump. Yes, the point of drop roller maybe to get a kill, but in situations where I don’t won’t to be killed when superjumping in I would definitely choose Stealth Jump. Also it’s useless on dualisms, unless you want three rolls lol

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Stealth Jump has a caveat that makes it difficult for me to recommend. If an enemy gets really close to your landing point, they can still see where you are going to land. I might be wrong about that, but that's what I was reading. If I could get some kind of confirmation on that I would appreciate it.

Regardless, I really do hope that those changes get implemented into Clam Blitz soon! I really like the game mode and I would like to see more people get into it!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Stealth Jump has a caveat that makes it difficult for me to recommend. If an enemy gets really close to your landing point, they can still see where you are going to land. I might be wrong about that, but that's what I was reading. If I could get some kind of confirmation on that I would appreciate it.

Regardless, I really do hope that those changes get implemented into Clam Blitz soon! I really like the game mode and I would like to see more people get into it!
You can see someone's stealth jump if you are within like splattershot range of the jump. In my opinion it protects you more than you would think. I mean obviously you can't just jump to a frontline player but jumping to a flex who's just a little bit more back you would go unseen. I use it on several weapons when playing frontliner/slayer. You gotta get back in quick and safe to keep up the pressure and get kil- er uh splats.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
You can see someone's stealth jump if you are within like splattershot range of the jump. In my opinion it protects you more than you would think. I mean obviously you can't just jump to a frontline player but jumping to a flex who's just a little bit more back you would go unseen. I use it on several weapons when playing frontliner/slayer. You gotta get back in quick and safe to keep up the pressure and get kil- er uh splats.
Imo, stealth jump is also really usefull counter vs chargers and other long-range weapons.
One good long-range weapon could technically deny you using super jump in a big area (even if your team is dominating) since he/she can easely take you down before you move.
This is not always the case but it happened alot to my that i super jumped in an area, where my team is dominating, only to be gunned down by that long-range user that backed up in it’s base.

the

Inkling Commander
Imo, stealth jump is also really usefull counter vs chargers and other long-range weapons.
One good long-range weapon could technically deny you using super jump in a big area (even if your team is dominating) since he/she can easely take you down before you move.
This is not always the case but it happened alot to my that i super jumped in an area, where my team is dominating, only to be gunned down by that long-range user that backed up in it’s base.
In addition, if someone can’t see your marker until they are close, they may not be able to set up to take you out before you land, meaning that more often than not you’ll have a fighting chance even if there is an enemy close to your marker

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Thanks for the information! This actually gives me a better idea of how things work in a grander light. I don't really super jump often. I find that it is a good way to get me sent back to spawn with a new identity as a practice range target. But I can see how this would be useful. I might have to try it out a bit for myself and see if it makes things easier foe me to super jump back to an ally!

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Thanks for the information! This actually gives me a better idea of how things work in a grander light. I don't really super jump often. I find that it is a good way to get me sent back to spawn with a new identity as a practice range target. But I can see how this would be useful. I might have to try it out a bit for myself and see if it makes things easier foe me to super jump back to an ally!
I have started jumping back to spawn a lot. Generally if I sense trouble. Also if I have Sting Ray or Tenta Missles, jumping back to spawn is really good

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I, personally, don't jump back to spawn to use either. I just find some decent cover and let loose. Now here's my reasoning. Splatoon is a fast paced game with all sorts of action going on all the time. Taking the time to super jump back to spawn to use a special takes time away from your role on the battlefield that could be used to help a teammate take down an oncoming threat, cover a flanking route, or just to be a simple distraction. In short, the time taken to super jump back to spawn, use your special, and then swim back (or potentially super jump back) can be used for other things that are more useful to your team. It might be more dangerous, but it saves time and grief in the long run. These are my thoughts. This ideology has served me well so far, but maybe there's a point to this that I am missing?

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Alot of players in tournaments usually jump back to spawn to use stingray.
Not sure if this still true now since i’m not completely up-to-date with the scheme, but for stingray it seems pluasible.
It leaves you vulnarable for quite some time, even if you falled back an enemy could still easely spot and approach you (But a solid team schould prevent that, then again your team may be busy pushing)
And since your always far away from the action, you can ‘rotate’ the beam faster as if you’re close by.
E.g. 564F655A-D0B3-4C9A-A3AE-697914EBA6D6.png
(Credits to @Elecmaw )

Making it easier to pressure a bigger area.
I would consider returning to spawn to use the ray depending on the situation, but for tenta missiles it’s not worth it due how fast it deploys imo.

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I was thinking about that as I was posting it. Yeah, I can see merit to going back to spawn to use the Stingray. I still stand by my missile strats though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom