what would a splatoon spinoff look like? + do you want a spinoff?

do you want the next splatoon game to be a spinoff?

• Total voters

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
back when it was leaked that another splatoon game might be in development i saw that a lot of people were talking about wanting a spinoff, and i saw a bit more of it when the final fest was announced. i've always been on the side of not wanting a spinoff at all. the pvp aspect of splatoon has always been the most interesting to me, and going an entire game without that would kinda suck. they have also always had the story modes and now salmon run and side order on top of that as their own side modes/spinoffs.

of course that is my biased opinion and maybe i just been looking at it the wrong way, so my question is what do you think a splatoon spinoff would/should look like, and why shouldnt it just be something they add onto the base game? is a spinoff even something that many people want instead of the games we been getting?

Cephalobro

I'm thinking of a squad adventure-type game where you lead the normal Octarians to the surface world, the ultimate goal is for them to found a settlement, which would be the next main game's hub. It would have aspects like resource-collecting necessary enough for them to build said settlement but also some combat, so fighting against both bandits and wild animals that threaten the mission would be included as you progress through the game.

The reason why this concept wouldn't work well for the base game because it would have mechanics that are extremely different from it. Many people have wanted a Splatoon spin-off even before Splatoon 3 was announced. Spin-offs would do great for the series because we could explore alternate stories without them taking development resources away from the next main game, so we could fully explore the lore without being limited due to the main game's story not being allowed to diverge.

*Buster*

Full Squid
I think a strategy game like Fire Emblem or Mario + Rabbids would work really well for a prequel game if they wanted to expand on the lore. Although I’m not sure how well it would actually do outside of the core splatoon fanbase, and if many Splatoon fans would even want a strategy game. I still think the concept could be done really well though!

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
the thing with story modes is that they all have to stick with the core splatoon gameplay. they can branch out from the octo valley formula, but they're all singleplayer adaptations of the multiplayer gameplay. a spinoff would be able to branch out further and try a core genre besides third-person shooter

naturally this wouldn't appeal to everyone. and that's fine! i'm interested in the possibility of splatoon spinoffs because i am a Lore Enjoyer, but people who primarily come to splatoon for the multiplayer/the fact that it's a competitive (or co-op) shooter would be less interested

idk what specifically i want out of a spinoff, though

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
I don't think I would dislike a spinoff, especially if it allowed for deeper storytelling. And I would probably buy and play the heck out of it no matter what it was. They've created such a vibrant world and I can't imagine any aspect of it that I wouldn't want to spend time in.

But if developing the spinoff in any way consumed or shifted away resources that otherwise would have/should have gone towards developing/improving the core games, I would really rather they not. If you gave me the job of allocating resources I would want them all put towards making the the core games, particularly the multiplayer aspects, as good as they can be.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
We know that the next Nintendo console is on the way, and I want them to take their time producing Splatoon 4 and making it nice and shiny. Getting a spinoff game in the meantime would be fantastic. What it would entail, I have no clue, but with how creative Nintendo has been getting with the latest Splatoon 3 content, I trust they’ll be able to cook. More roguelike content would be nice, but I feel like it would be more suited to a main game singleplayer.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
why shouldnt it just be something they add onto the base game? is a spinoff even something that many people want instead of the games we been getting?
My issue with adding unique separate modes to the base games is that they don't get to be as fleshed out as they should.
The main focus will always be the pvp after all but there is so much potential in something like Side Order or even Tableturf that will just never be explored because it's only an addition to the existing multiplayer gameplay.
Even the main single player campaign of Splatoon 3 could have been so much better.
I also think having a spinoff be a different genre shouldn't be a problem, plenty of game series have experimented outside of what they're known for. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have a separate team work on something else while Splatoon 4 continues to get developed.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i feel like, given how much more power the next console will have, a splatoon battle royale is a very real possibility. and personally i would be all for it, it's a totally valid way to take the splatoon gameplay loop in a new direction, and like. come on that would be awesome and hilarious
i'm gonna go as far as to say i think the next game should be a spinoff in some way, given that we can theoretically just keep updating splatoon 3 because it will also be available to play on the next console regardless. splatoon 4 could really do some spicing things up to get new players interested, i think it's gotta be fresh in some way

Mili

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-6426-7546-0600
I think I speak for everyone when I say we want a spinoff!!! Party game spinoffs are always a good bet, and with the many amiibos the Splatoon series has, I'm sure we could even integrate some fun functionality......

Joking aside, the only reason I hoped for a spinoff when I first saw this post was because I'm uncomfortable with a Splatoon 4 releasing soon after 3, I really think Splatoon 4 needs the time.

But thinking about it and reading some comments here, I'm not too interested in many of the spinoff ideas that involve minigames or the man Splatoon gameplay in some different context, I do feel like a spinoff is mot necessary, Splatoon's representation in other series like Smash or Mario Kart is all I need tbh, I really want to see more of Splatoon in a possible future Smash too....

Edit: Pretty soon after posting this I began doubting how I felt in the last paragraph, oops, it's pretty late after all.
I will post a comment later on with something I had in mind sorry about that....

Tinybitt

Full Squid
Alright, alright, alright:

How about some “Splatoon Bros. Ultimate™️”?

You can fight as Mr. Coco against Sheldon as a fight for businesses emerges. Instead of the final fest being decided by inklings, idols decided to brawl it out live. Also, there’s only one stage in the game and it’s Moray Towers.

In all seriousness though, I’d kill for a spinoff that’s a mix between a third person shooter and an RPG. But considering the costs of development, time and underpowered switch 1/2 hardware, that’s never going to happen.
Honestly, I’d take any spinoff, but I really want to see a story based splatoon RPG

Cephalobro

Yup, in a spin-off, the story about the Great Turf War can be freely explored without the limitations that the core game has on the story mode.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I keep imagining what we could've gotten if Splatoon had debuted a generation or two earlier, when every IP could get its own straight-to-handheld spinoff. Hell, the timing of S1 meant a 3DS game still could've been possible, but it just didn't happen.

The biggest obstacle to spinoffs today is the growing scale of HD game development. I want shorter games with worse graphics made by people who are paid more to work less and I'm not kidding, but the industry marches in the other direction. Small side projects are dead because all of the time, manpower, and budget must go to the ever-growing AAAAAAA behemoth game, with a relentless appetite for more As.

But since we're fantasizing, one idea I've had would be an RTS with ink mechanics, set during the Great Turf War. I think it would be the best way to portray the scale of the war, and there are definitely some things you could do with ink there. I'm not even big on RTSs but it just feels like the perfect fit for Splatoon.

Alternatively, a versus puzzle game, just because I'm sad that the whole genre is dead and I wish somebody would make new ones. Could involve painting pieces over in someway? I dunno, somebody think of something so I can have a new versus puzzle to play.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
I would much rather have Splatoon 4. if its just another story mode then why cant it be a DLC?

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
We are aware that any potential spinoff game will be heavily influenced by the results of Grand Fest, yes? If Past wins we’re almost certainly getting something themed around the Great Turf War. If Present wins, it’ll be some side content taking place at the same time as main game story events. As for future, we have no clue.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I think the mileage will vary and depend a lot on what genre/platform is chosen

Something like side order/octo expansion but expanded into an entire game? (Something the series desperately needs with a lot of interesting lore thats hard to find) would be pretty sick

A mobile gatcha game? Less so.

Cephalobro

Oh no, anything but gatcha, Splatoon 3 already shows how much of a bad idea it is with the Shell-out Machine.

Neko :D

Senior Squid
Pronouns
She/He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-3356-5161-8137
I would personally accept a spin-off, as long as it has more features such as new weapons, brands, and character design options. But if it doesn't include any of those, I wouldn't be able to genuinely enjoy the game. I have to agree though with the gatcha idea (Ha, I really do!) It would be pretty funny to see something like that!!

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom