what would a splatoon spinoff look like? + do you want a spinoff?

do you want the next splatoon game to be a spinoff?

• Total voters

ikebro

Senior Squid
Pronouns
any/pronouns
i've always thought that a full-scale rhythm game would be cool! there's certainly enough music in the series to do so. and ppl liked squid beatz, so i'd assume that there's a market for this kinda thing. i'm just not sure how they'd be able to expand it into a full standalone game, honestly. i understand both sides here lmao

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i've always thought that a full-scale rhythm game would be cool! there's certainly enough music in the series to do so. and ppl liked squid beatz, so i'd assume that there's a market for this kinda thing. i'm just not sure how they'd be able to expand it into a full standalone game, honestly. i understand both sides here lmao
ohhh a standalone splatoon rhythm game would be good. like i'm in the 'i want a heavily lore/story focused spinoff' camp but splatoon rhythm game just makes TOO MUCH SENSE

...story-based splatoon rhythm game focused on splatbands anyone??

another spinoff concept that, similarly, Just Makes Sense to me would be like. something focused on fashion, since it's such a big part of inklings' culture. this definitely wouldn't grab everyone who's mostly into splatoon for the multiplayer (i'm not even sure it'd grab me, and i'm the one suggesting it - the only, like, fashion game i've played was a 3ds demo of a style savvy game, and while i thought it was cute it wasn't something i'd play a whole game of), but like... c'mon.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
We are aware that any potential spinoff game will be heavily influenced by the results of Grand Fest, yes? If Past wins we’re almost certainly getting something themed around the Great Turf War. If Present wins, it’ll be some side content taking place at the same time as main game story events. As for future, we have no clue.
ooh I didn't think about this
thanks for giving me another reason to go team past besides the shirt

Masked_Katz

Gnarly Eddy's Boyfriend
Switch Friend Code
SW-3907-3792-4200
honestly, I've always loved the idea of a mobile Splatoon spin-off - I'm not exactly known to play many games on my phone, but I've really enjoyed the Nintendo ones I've tried (especially Pocket Camp when I last played it years ago)

the Splatoon world is known for its unique culture and history that we have only really seen a glimpse into, and I'd love some sort of chill, down-to-earth game set in it where we can just sit back and kinda vibe with it... a lot of people joke about how we were close to getting customizable apartments in 3, but I think a small Splatoon spin-off centered around that concept could make for a nice example (assuming it wouldn't just be Miitomo all over again)

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
honestly, I've always loved the idea of a mobile Splatoon spin-off - I'm not exactly known to play many games on my phone, but I've really enjoyed the Nintendo ones I've tried (especially Pocket Camp when I last played it years ago)

the Splatoon world is known for its unique culture and history that we have only really seen a glimpse into, and I'd love some sort of chill, down-to-earth game set in it where we can just sit back and kinda vibe with it... a lot of people joke about how we were close to getting customizable apartments in 3, but I think a small Splatoon spin-off centered around that concept could make for a nice example (assuming it wouldn't just be Miitomo all over again)
i want splatoon miitomo.

Masked_Katz

Gnarly Eddy's Boyfriend
Switch Friend Code
SW-3907-3792-4200
i want splatoon miitomo.
honestly I could dig that, I should have clarified that I just wouldnt want it to be as undeveloped and unpopular as miitomo turned out to be, but I personally enjoyed it (when I actually convinced one or two people to actually use it with me) and could see a Splatoon-ization spirital successor being dope if done right 👁

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
honestly I could dig that, I should have clarified that I just wouldnt want it to be as undeveloped and unpopular as miitomo turned out to be, but I personally enjoyed it (when I actually convinced one or two people to actually use it with me) and could see a Splatoon-ization spirital successor being dope if done right 👁
in 2026 squiitomo will be real and comp splatoon players will use the feature miitomo had where you sent messages to your friends via your side miis to kick players off their teams. i can see the future and it’s beautiful.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I don't understand the appeal of a Great Turf War-based spinoff game. Looking past the aesthetics, what would the gameplay even be?
But since we're fantasizing, one idea I've had would be an RTS with ink mechanics, set during the Great Turf War. I think it would be the best way to portray the scale of the war, and there are definitely some things you could do with ink there. I'm not even big on RTSs but it just feels like the perfect fit for Splatoon.
I think an RTS would be the perfect way to represent the scale of the War, because then it wouldn't just center on one hero but the entire armies on both sides.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've mentioned this before but it still surprises me that Nintendo never made a small spinoff title for Splatoon on the 3ds.
I really wanted to get into Splatoon as a kid but I didn't have a Wii U so something small for the 3ds would have been really nice at the time.

NeoXVIII

Inkster Jr.
I've thought about and tried out splatoon in different genres after seeing splatoon the card game. So far top down 2D, Tower Defense, and Strategy/Tactics would be interesting I think.

slopsuit

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-0774-8637-8781
I have been saying for months how badly I want a splatoon spinoff, i feel like the lore and worldbuilding in the game is so strong that it could really make spinoffs that expand on it really interesting. I think its mainline gameplay mechanics are amazing and theres just nothing like it. Its so uniquely fun as is and im excited to see how they innovate with it but i also would just adore having a sort of life simulator game set in the splatoon world where you have much more in-depth character customization and can decorate apartments and socialize with other players and characters. I know its very animal crossing esque and we already have that from nintendo so its not very likely, but i always thought the splatoon universe has its own unique appeal for a genre like that and would love to see it

Hokuto

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
A Splatoon skateboarding game, a la Tony Hawk Pro Skater but mixed with some of Splatoon's mechanics, would be very fun.
If this got made, I would die of happiness. Not because I have any attachment to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, but because I have a squid who would. This is the kind of logic that dictates what I want to see in the world.

I've thought about and tried out splatoon in different genres after seeing splatoon the card game. So far top down 2D, Tower Defense, and Strategy/Tactics would be interesting I think.
Nintendo had a tower defense series: Dillon's Rolling Western. While interesting and innovative, it wasn't very successful. (If it says anything, I haven't even finished the first one.) I wonder if they're even interested in revisiting the genre.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like the idea of having a small spinoff platformer that would also be canon in the world of Splatoon.
I have no idea how it would look like or what it would do differently from other platformers but I still think the concept sounds very interesting.

Yeenom

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
I think an RPG like Megaman Battle Network could be interesting. Nintendo is consistently good at adapting their series' to RPGs and it's a structure that naturally focuses on lore and story. The main issue with every story mode is that gameplay always get in the way of their stories and basically forces the plot into the background, which is kinda a double-edged sword: On one hand, less people would probably be interested in the lore if it was all easily accessible and and just kind of told to you but on the other, you basically have to put so much work into finding the story... in story mode.

Cephalobro

I think an RPG like Megaman Battle Network could be interesting. Nintendo is consistently good at adapting their series' to RPGs and it's a structure that naturally focuses on lore and story. The main issue with every story mode is that gameplay always get in the way of their stories and basically forces the plot into the background, which is kinda a double-edged sword: On one hand, less people would probably be interested in the lore if it was all easily accessible and and just kind of told to you but on the other, you basically have to put so much work into finding the story... in story mode.
Not to mention, so much of the lore is scattered, Splatoon is literally the only Nintendo series whose lore is scattered to Japanese-exclusive sources, which makes it hard to even know what they say exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom