• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is squid partying ok?

How do you feel about Squid Parties?

• I love them in all modes.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I loathe them in ranked, but I don't mind them in turf wars.

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • I loathe them in turf wars, but I don't mind them in ranked.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I loathe them in all modes.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • It depends on the partiers for whither I like it or not.

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • I am neutral about them / I don't have an opinion.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Only in private matches, please.

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters
G

girigiriHERO

I'm not saying that at all. You can be just as competitive in turf wars as you can be in ranked. But since there is a consequence for losing in ranked, you are less likely to see as many players fooling around as you would in turf wars, making turf wars the ideal place for squid partying if they choose to not create a private battle. Like I said, having one or two party squids in a lobby full of players actually trying to battle is inconsiderate of them, as it ruins the battle for everyone else (especially if all the party squids end up on the same team). Entering a regular battle lobby already full of party squids is different. Everyone is there to party rather than battle and there is no consequence for losing. There's nothing wrong with that.
Having just hit level 50 after owning this game since launch (not a heavy player) a bit of stress has been taken off my shoulders and I'm actually playing better (I was S82 but Level 49 haha) and knowing that I realize even more there ARE stakes in TW. 2 wins is 6 mins, 5 loses is 15 mins of time for the same reward with 2000 less coins and 2 wins away from a SSS. Those are stakes that people do care about believe it or not. Many people don't play for their Rank, they play to enjoy the game the way it's meant to be played and maybe perfecting that build with re-rolls. Squid Parties make that a LOT more difficult. I personally see no difference between -5 Ranked points vs -1000 coins/exp [for gear] and 3 EXP points for that win.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I myself would prefer not earning 1000 extra coins over losing points in a ranked match since I haven't been interested in unlocking new abilities on gear for a while nor have I had to worry about leveling up for a while. But you're right. I suppose it's not fair if you're looking for a real battle and you end up in a lobby with seven party squids. That's just as bad as a party in ranked. Interesting. I've actually never thought of it that way until now. I know I did little to no squid partying while leveling up to 50 and didn't like running into squid parties when I was trying to unlock abilities on gear before, so I know how you feel with that.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

(Also, I'm curious. Has anyone here ever witnessed a squid party in S or S+ solo ranked matches? I've heard of it happening in ranks as high as A, but not S or S+ yet. It sounds like something that only happens in the C's and B's since I'm assuming more experienced players at those ranks are not all that competitive.)

...meh-beh

Short and sweet version is I got one squid on the enemy team to bloop with me for 15~ seconds, then we both got back into serious kill mode.

If you want the full scoop, I posted it a page or few back. I'll edit this after I locate it. There's a whole debate between myself, Dessgeega, and another guy whose name I don't remember...

BRB re-reading =p
Edit: oh goodness, it was you giri. I'm a stupid.
Curse my spotchy memory >_<
EditEdit: And the story is on page 2 =3 HA nvm that, terrible skim reading s terrible, I'll have to dig more if I want to find that post xP

FINAL edit: Ok so it was actually on a seperate thread... aaand it wasn't very in depth ^_^;;

but if you are still somehow interested it's over here >>>http://squidboards.com/threads/little-triumphs.25740/

Last edited:

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Also, I'm curious. Has anyone here ever witnessed a squid party in S or S+ solo ranked matches? I've heard of it happening in ranks as high as A, but not S or S+ yet. It sounds like something that only happens in the C's and B's since I'm assuming more experienced players at those ranks are not all that competitive
I've witnessed a few in solo ranked matches.... But it's usually when one of the teams is completely dominating the field and the other team has little real chance of coming back. I remember one match, I had decided to get a little more on my rank and I was S+ at the time. This was Tower Control on Ancho-V games. I almost never saw the other team. The match lasted like less than a minute, consisted of myself and a fellow teammate squid partying on the tower while our teammates killed the other team by themselves. I'm not even...sure what to make of that. xD Its sad to say that's not the only time I've seen an S+ team completely incapable of fighting back for some reason. o_O

I mean, it was fun and the other player on the tower with me sent me a friend request but it was uber weird that the other team never came near the tower and got spawn locked so quickly. x) But that's the only time I ever see them in solo ranked anymore is when one team is completely dominating the other. When it comes to S+ matches, most people are uber competitive so you will see very little screwing around during solo ranked. x) S rank seems to be split between them.

G

girigiriHERO

Thanks to everyone for hearing me out, I'm just trying to get you to look at it from the point of view of some one who isn't as hardcore a player as yourselves might be. As I stated in a earlier post, I've had Splatoon since release and put in just over 200 hours, but I just reached level 50 in the last week, therefore me while playing TW there was a lot at stake, my personal time. Losing a match and losing 3 EXP towards my level annoyed me a lot when it was due to a squid partier on my team not wanting to play.

And as previously stated, while it can work in my favour (easy win) I much prefer matches that put my skill to the test. A lot of S rank players play Turf War now, so it's rarely fun and games when everyone is playing to their full potential, and I enjoy playing TW every now and then.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
D= ???
... Well then. I would've found that quite the opposite of amusing. Winning in ranked because of some silly squid-mate with fabulous hair and delicious cookies that can squid party and then proceed to dominate front lines? I'm thankful to have never come across upbeat teammates with this amount of sheer skill and fun in my journey to S+, and you've motivated me to never rank back down to S. Thank you. I won't forget this. :,)
I know you worded it differently, but this is exactly how I read it.^^^
So I'ma confused. You are afraid of having a teammate that can goof off for 15 seconds and still work with ya to win the match?

...or are you jealous because you're afraid you would lose the match if you did the same thing?

(holy CARP look at my ego)
If you never want to play with me, that's fine I guess. But I think its super cool whenever I recognize someone from squidboards in my randoms.
(I've only ever seen Mr.9 but that's beside the point)

If we ever do cross paths, I'll throw you a few friendly bloops at the start of the match ;)

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
So I'ma confused. You are afraid of having a teammate that can goof off for 15 seconds and still work with ya to win the match?
...or are you jealous because you're afraid you would lose the match if you did the same thing?
No, you inconsiderate squid. Every second matters in a ranked battle. I'm not going to lose a battle because one or two players aren't taking it seriously. I'm all for partying, but not in ranked. You barely won by two points that round. You got lucky. And no, I'm not jealous of that at all. In my opinion, admitting to everyone that you would actually do that makes you look bad. Really bad. And I'm certainly not going to be jealous of someone making theirself look bad.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
(Also, I'm curious. Has anyone here ever witnessed a squid party in S or S+ solo ranked matches? I've heard of it happening in ranks as high as A, but not S or S+ yet. It sounds like something that only happens in the C's and B's since I'm assuming more experienced players at those ranks are not all that competitive.)
I've seen 0 dedicated squid parties in S+ ranked.

The only semi-exception is when I'm on a team which is stomping the other team out in, e.g., SZ. Then, it's somewhat common for me to see parties at the last 5 seconds or so of the match (if the other team isn't in the area). However, I think of that as more of a "well done" celebration than an actual party. In that case, I don't have a problem with it since the outcome of the match is certain. (I do think that kinda "party" is lame if your opponent had a disconnect).

Edit: Btw, @Green Waffles is a solid teammate. He's allowed 15 goofing off seconds in my book. ;)

Last edited:

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I've seen 0 dedicated squid parties in S+ ranked.

The only semi-exception is when I'm on a team which is stomping the other team out in, e.g., SZ. Then, it's somewhat common for me to see parties at the last 5 seconds or so of the match (if the other team isn't in the area). However, I think of that as more of a "well done" celebration than an actual party. In that case, I don't have a problem with it since the outcome of the match is certain. (I do think that kinda "party" is lame if your opponent had a disconnect).

Edit: Btw, @Green Waffles is a solid teammate. He's allowed 15 goofing off seconds in my book. ;)
I admit I myself have spammed ZL on the tower with another teammate when it was at 1 and while the whole other team was respawning. But that's not exactly a party. It's one thing if you're going to do it the last few seconds of a match when the other team has absolutely no way of winning no matter what, but it's just plain inconsiderate in my opinion if you're going to party for 15 seconds in the first minute of the match. I'm sure Green Waffles is an excellent player, but I personally would not want to be on a team with him in ranked if that's something he does often.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I do kind of have to agree that partying during Ranked is a little inconsiderate - especially during higher ranks because of how uber competitive the heightened Ranks can be. The only time I've actually squid partied during Ranked was in twins. There are times when I'm twinning with a friend and we'll be matched up with some friends. Depending on the people we run into, some of those twins end up turning in squid parties for like the first minute of the match simply because we can and we know each other. There are times when we come back and there are times when we lose for it, but we have fun with each other. This only if we get put on the same team, of course.

I can't say for solo Ranked since I hardly do it anymore - and I really should begin doing it again. But I wouldn't expect to see many people squid partying in S+ since everyone playing solo Ranked at that point wants the S+ 99. Now squidbagging... I see quite a lot of that. x) But that's an entirely different story lol. Sometimes I do wonder how much of the 'squid partying' people see in S or S+ is actual squid partying or mostly just people squidbagging. I remember one time, I was in a solo q and a Carbon Roller squidbagged me so I squidbagged him back... It ended up with the entire lobby starting to squid bag each other except for one player who sent me a nasty friend request for "starting a squid party". One: I didn't start it lmao. I just responded. Two: we were taunting each other. x) I don't see how it's possible but I guess it's possible to confuse them? I don't know.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This thread is still going?

Ohhhh the stories I could tell...

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I can confirm with anecdotal "evidence" (in other words, lack thereof) that yes, in my time playing in S, people on my team, at least 2, would teabag the map like it's no tomorrow.

goddammit

G

girigiriHERO

I can confirm with anecdotal "evidence" (in other words, lack thereof) that yes, in my time playing in S, people on my team, at least 2, would teabag the map like it's no tomorrow.

goddammit
I see no problem with Squid Bagging. Sure it's not polite, but when you do it back to the one who killed you and "started it" it's bitter sweet.

I remember in 1 match a player bagged me, I proceeded to kill them 3 times during that match and bagged them every time.

Another time (my fav) was the entire team was bagging us, my team won and in the final 30 seconds I killed 3 of them in a 3 on 1 (god bless Run Speed Up) withing a few seconds of each other and I'm sure all 3 saw me bagging them all on the kill cam.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I see no problem with Squid Bagging. Sure it's not polite, but when you do it back to the one who killed you and "started it" it's bitter sweet.

I remember in 1 match a player bagged me, I proceeded to kill them 3 times during that match and bagged them every time.

Another time (my fav) was the entire team was bagging us, my team won and in the final 30 seconds I killed 3 of them in a 3 on 1 (god bless Run Speed Up) withing a few seconds of each other and I'm sure all 3 saw me bagging them all on the kill cam.
That just sounds really unpleasant, on all sides. Stuff like that is why Splatoon was my big exception to not doing PVP ever. Bleh.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Even if considering doing it in retaliation, I've always been leery of squidbagging because I've got the nagging suspicion that whoever aggravated me will take pleasure in my doing it, as they'll see that they elicited a reaction. It's also awful if other players see you doing it and don't know the context (especially enemies, being less likely to have seen their teammate 'starting it', but besides, nobody knows that you weren't the inciter apart from, perhaps, teammates who also fell victim).

G

girigiriHERO

Even if considering doing it in retaliation, I've always been leery of squidbagging because I've got the nagging suspicion that whoever aggravated me will take pleasure in my doing it, as they'll see that they elicited a reaction. It's also awful if other players see you doing it and don't know the context (especially enemies, being less likely to have seen their teammate 'starting it', but besides, nobody knows that you weren't the inciter apart from, perhaps, teammates who also fell victim).
Fair enough but then again I don't play Splatoon with people I know with exception to my older brother, so to be entirely honest I don't care what they think of me. Talking to you all is a bit different because we can have actual conversations (and yes, I do realize you are also the ones playing Splatoon as well) but in a game where everyone else is faceless and voiceless it doesn't really bother me to give them a dose of their own medicine.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'm actually surprised this thread is still going. Huh.
While I don't have much to contribute, I'm mostly just shocked a thread I've made has been going on so long I guess even though I've been away.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think I may have witnessed the only form of squid party that I actually thought was rather neat.

You know how every so often a teammate or two will spam the Booyah! command as the battle starts? Well, one of my teams did something similar, only they were simultaneously squidbagging and inking, moving in a straight line towards the battlefield. It was... how do I put it... like one guy would be inking turf while the other two were partying (and I think they switched roles a few times), but as a whole unit they were making their way towards the middle ground, and as soon as they met the enemy team the gloves came off.

Given that they actually accomplished something in the process, I'm not sure if this can be considered a proper squid party. But I for one found it entertaining enough; had I not assumed they were just ****in' around, I probably would've joined them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom