• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is squid partying ok?

How do you feel about Squid Parties?

• I love them in all modes.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I loathe them in ranked, but I don't mind them in turf wars.

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • I loathe them in turf wars, but I don't mind them in ranked.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I loathe them in all modes.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • It depends on the partiers for whither I like it or not.

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • I am neutral about them / I don't have an opinion.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Only in private matches, please.

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Squid partying is OK in regular turf wars (sometimes, I'll get back to that later) and private battles. It isn't ok in ranked battles or Splatfest. For ranked, it's obvious. If you squid party, it's like disconnecting, yet without the disconnect nerf (the one where depending on how far into a match a disconnect occurs, the points lost to down in value). This causes people to rank down faster. In Splatfest, you're basically allowing the other team to get a win. But, if it's a mirror match, it's ok, it doesn't count towards the end result. But! There is somthing that is completely disrespectful that you can do in TW to tick someone (me) off really, really hard. Getting a spawn camp, then FREAKING SQUID PARTYING IN THE OPPOSING TEAM'S FREAKING BASE. I like squid parties as much as the next guy, but this is NOT OK AT ALL.
Squid partying when camping people into their base feels more like a form of squidbagging to show that you're winning and that they don't stand a chance, which is really horrible in my opinion. When this happens most of the time i just try to push back, and if it doesn't work i just jump on the spawn point since at that point there's no reason to keep trying. It's really demotivating though, I don't like doing that. I prefer helping out my team as much as possible, honestly. Squid partying all match in turf wars is actually rather disrespectful since there are people that actually want to play and i'm realizing via experience and wanting to actually play the game that it's really not that fun to lose because you have partiers on your team. I usually don't feel like contributing to the party either since I'd prefer to play the game and win, even if I'm more on the casual side over the competitive side.

Nonetheless I suppose I cannot change the opinion of people that enjoy squid parties in Turf War, but do keep in mind how it can be a bother to players that want to play the game whither it be casual or competitive. It doesn't feel like it boosts morale at all- since it's just fun for you and it puts the rest of your team one man down. Or two. Or three. It really depends.

Also for the love of everything, don't do it in splatfests. I've already had it happen to me on Marie's team and i was 100% certain they were sabatogers just from that. I just saw someone on the other team (Callie) that was doing it while my friend was playing, and their whole team just... gave up. It was sad. Please, please don't squid party in splatfests.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'll also admit, back in the day I'd try to start a squid party whenever I'd fight my own team during a Splatfest. My logic was, this one match would be unimportant in the grand scheme of things: wins against your own team count not towards the end wins total, and there's nothing else at stake, so why not screw around and have fun with it? Of course it never worked, so I stopped after a while. Then came Splatfest power, and with it an incentive to take battling your own team seriously, so that idea went out the window pretty quickly.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'll also admit, back in the day I'd try to start a squid party whenever I'd fight my own team during a Splatfest. My logic was, this one match would be unimportant in the grand scheme of things: wins against your own team count not towards the end wins total, and there's nothing else at stake, so why not screw around and have fun with it? Of course it never worked, so I stopped after a while. Then came Splatfest power, and with it an incentive to take battling your own team seriously, so that idea went out the window pretty quickly.
I think it's still kinda ehh to do it in matches vs. your own team, but that could be just my own opinion.
Especially with the splatfest power thing, yeah.

G

girigiriHERO

I'm going to assume the fact you can obtain SSS with 30 cumulative wins will help change the mind of the "TW doesn't matter" people, as now it's just as relevant as Ranked.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'm afraid I have to agree there. A victory now is worth 1700p more than it used to be (considering the value of the Snail and the increased win bonus) - frankly, a lot by any standards. Again, one can make the argument that everyone's equally likely to get partiers on their own team as on the opposing team, but that's not too different from saying, say, that it's okay to sabotage a Splatfest team because people on the opposite side are doing so in roughly equal measure.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
That's sensical. I'm even less inclined to try and party in turf now, and I hope that people change their minds about it since they earn more money from winning. I'm actually working on an alt to make my new "online public main" over my private, so it's going to help me more than you can imagine with the win money increase. I really do hope I get no partiers. Gh.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Nah, not really. If the SSS per 30 wins also counts for ranked, there's still no reason to choose TW if you really want to grind.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nah, not really. If the SSS per 30 wins also counts for ranked, there's still no reason to choose TW if you really want to grind.
Counter-point - you still get nothing if you lose in ranked, and as much as you inked in turf. Technically ranked is more efficient, but only if you're consistently winning which isn't always possible at high-level play. This change brings much-needed variety to the grind.

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
Geez, this whole heated debate reminds me of that one thread about the value of shiny Pokémon caught with the Poké Radar years ago! Except that thread went on for, like, 255 pages… twice. :p

I've been interested in squid parties ever since I first learned about them from videos of Japanese players messing around in Turf. That was still early on, and few people knew squid parties were a thing back then. My friend and I were really hoping to get one started, but we both agreed beforehand to only party if we were on opposite teams so that there wouldn't be a disadvantage for either side. (And if we ended up on the same team, we'd just play the game as normal.) I don't recall us having much success getting others to play along, unfortunately—as I said, it was still pretty new. Nowadays, I don't try to start parties because I have very little success usually.

I rarely ever play Turf anymore; I'm always in solo Ranked. I've never, ever encountered any squid partiers in that mode, but I would be really mad at them if I did. Ranked and Splatfest battles are strictly off-limits for parties for me. When I play Turf, it's either because I really hate the current Ranked rotation or I need to level up gear. If I come across a party, I'll join in on the fun for a couple matches and then leave when I want to get back to playing seriously. I don't want to be that one player dropping in on a lobby of a majority of partiers and ruining their fun.

As for why I find parties enjoyable… I've always liked cooperation in games, and I'm fascinated by how communication still happens when you don't really have any (intended) way of conveying meaning to strangers. I'm a huge fan of Journey specifically because you can bond with complete strangers with very few actions at your disposal. I dunno, people finding ways to have fun regardless of cultural or language difference just strikes a chord with me. While I do find that spamming squid form and superjumping in place get old fairly quickly, I love showing partiers fun stuff about each map—weird graphical glitches, cool shortcuts, glitches and the like. Kind of like how experienced Journey players like to take others out of bounds to see the sights.

I also love the more creative stuff. Earlier today, I was in a party lobby, using the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco. I disrupted a fellow partier and then proceeded to walk slowly alongside them to emulate the effects of the sub. I also saw two Rollers (one on my team and one on the other) as well as a brush very slowly inching toward each other. I found it pretty funny! Also, Blasters are pretty cool for "fireworks"! And so is aiming a Killer Wail at the sky. i just like the fact that we could potentially all just splat each other and call it a day, but we choose not to, wordlessly, because we all just want to have fun with these random strangers.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
See, if partiers were generally like you, sensible and creative, this thread wouldn't exist :) Keep up the good work!

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
See, if partiers were generally like you, sensible and creative, this thread wouldn't exist :) Keep up the good work!
Haha, thanks! I just like to experiment with things, and parties are a pretty good way of doing so. For example, it'd be pretty hard to find out in normal gameplay that running into a non-moving enemy Roller won't splat you, but will instead push the Roller and yourself back. It's also great to start doing something random (such as walking very slowly or jumping over each other in squid form while alternating colors) and have those complete strangers understand what you're going for and join in. Though I'll admit it's more likely the majority of partiers are just in it for the flopping and superjumping.

SuperStar2361

Inkling
NNID
SuperStar2361
i'd say that it's ok to party in private battles and turf war, but never ranked. people generally tend to take ranked more seriously because more is at stake, so it's much less acceptable to do it in ranked.

i never party in ranked, but i also never start a squid party in turf wars because i don't know the people i'm playing with, so i don't know if they're ok with it. that doesn't mean i don't like partying at all, though, because i like to join a squid party if somebody else has started one. i play in tw to have fun most of the time - i don't mind partiers at all in that mode because i enjoy both playing 'normally' and partying.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
i'd say that it's ok to party in private battles and turf war, but never ranked. people generally tend to take ranked more seriously because more is at stake, so it's much less acceptable to do it in ranked.

i never party in ranked, but i also never start a squid party in turf wars because i don't know the people i'm playing with, so i don't know if they're ok with it. that doesn't mean i don't like partying at all, though, because i like to join a squid party if somebody else has started one. i play in tw to have fun most of the time - i don't mind partiers at all in that mode because i enjoy both playing 'normally' and partying.
It's not really acceptable in turf wars anymore because you actually earn more from winning now- when you lose in ranked you get nothing so I'm certain people will be taking turf wars a lot more seriously now. It's best just to keep your partying in private battles. IMO it wasn't good before this, even, but i'll admit I partied before because I thought it was "ok" for a bit. It's really not.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
A possible counter-argument: if there are more partiers on one side than the other, then the party side will lose a TW. This means that a greater number of serious players will reap the benefit. You are always less likely (3/7 or lower) to be on the inevitably losing side if you are not a partier. So although they will irk those with whom they were teamed up, on balance, partiers will give victories to more players who need them.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
A possible counter-argument: if there are more partiers on one side than the other, then the party side will lose a TW. This means that a greater number of serious players will reap the benefit. You are always less likely (3/7 or lower) to be on the inevitably losing side if you are not a partier. So although they will irk those with whom they were teamed up, on balance, partiers will give victories to more players who need them.
...Which leads to angry players like me and threads like this. How is that in any way a positive?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
...Which leads to angry players like me and threads like this. How is that in any way a positive?
Was merely suggesting a viewpoint! I did say a "possible" argument - I think that it's healthy to try to consider these so as better to be able to work out what one's opponents think of the situation.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Was merely suggesting a viewpoint! I did say a "possible" argument - I think that it's healthy to try to consider these so as better to be able to work out what one's opponents think of the situation.
Ah. I can see what you mean now, even if I absolutely disagree with it :P

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Only in a private party in online then never

If you squid party online I tend to just splat you all and ruin your fun for taking it online xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom