• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is squid partying ok?

How do you feel about Squid Parties?

• I love them in all modes.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I loathe them in ranked, but I don't mind them in turf wars.

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • I loathe them in turf wars, but I don't mind them in ranked.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I loathe them in all modes.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • It depends on the partiers for whither I like it or not.

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • I am neutral about them / I don't have an opinion.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Only in private matches, please.

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
"I really only shoot people on my team when they kill people from the other team that are clearly partying with me and not causing any real harm."

I hate when my teammates are inconsiderate aggressive jerks like that. Don't you think if I wanted that nice, innocent partier splatted, I'd do it myself!?!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
"I really only shoot people on my team when they kill people from the other team that are clearly partying with me and not causing any real harm."

I hate when my teammates are inconsiderate aggressive jerks like that. Don't you think if I wanted that nice, innocent partier splatted, I'd do it myself!?!
Agreed. It's just like, if we're not trying to kill you and we're not inking turf why don't you go ink turf instead of trying to ruin our party?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Damn, Dess beat me to it.

My thoughts are mostly similar: if you're going to do it, fine, but never at the expense of everyone else (ie. you persist in squidding about whilst your teammates are dying left & right) or the match (ie. your team's getting stomped and you decide to give up halfway through the match, preventing any chance of a comeback). Como dice, you got to know when to fold 'em; fighting your team about it is never worth it, especially since that's equivalent to giving the enemy a free win. Just save that stuff for later, and if nobody's biting then invite some people to a private battle and party to thy heart's content.

*EDIT*

Agreed. It's just like, if we're not trying to kill you and we're not inking turf why don't you go ink turf instead of trying to ruin our party?
Dunno about y'all, but the partiers I've met hate it when anybody else tries to ink around them. They'll then get on my ***, forcing me to wage war with them. It's never pretty, but at least it provides some action.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
i enjoy partying any time, though never in ranked (i rarely play ranked anymore) though I have seen a few rare cases of the other team possibly trying to derank by partying and letting us get a few points.
that being said, i've rarely ever tried to start a party on my own, though if someone on my team wishes to party, id feel bad having them feel alone.
Hitting the level cap kind of makes partying guilt free to me haha

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
My thoughts are mostly similar: if you're going to do it, fine, but never at the expense of everyone else (ie. you persist in squidding about whilst your teammates are dying left & right) or the match (ie. your team's getting stomped and you decide to give up halfway through the match, preventing any chance of a comeback).
That's why i usually only party for the last few seconds if we're hardcore losing, but that could be just what I do. I try not to give up hope util the end.
Usually if more than half of the team is fooling around I feel it's ok to just mess around, but if it's only two people on a team it's probably not the nicest thing to do considering.

Dunno about y'all, but the partiers I've met hate it when anybody else tries to ink around them. They'll then get on my ***, forcing me to wage war with them. It's never pretty, but at least it provides some action.
I actually think i've seen this before? I mean... there was a time were I was just inking some turf around some partiers and I got attacked, even though I wasn't trying to be aggressive. I try not to do this and i've honestly shot at teammates that try to do that when i'm partying.

i enjoy partying any time, though never in ranked (i rarely play ranked anymore) though I have seen a few rare cases of the other team possibly trying to derank by partying and letting us get a few points.
that being said, i've rarely ever tried to start a party on my own, though if someone on my team wishes to party, id feel bad having them feel alone.
Hitting the level cap kind of makes partying guilt free to me haha
Same :0

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I've been attacked even when I've left the partiers alone and went on inking, even when they've got a sizable chunk to themselves like Saltspray's top end. What am I supposed to do, just stop playing for the remainder or disconnect? Bah!

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've done a "squid party" in Ranked before but it was during a Quad Squad... And it wasn't the an actual squid party. :p There have been times when a couple friends and I will start a quad squad and for the first two minutes or so, we'll lure the other team into a squid party. After some time has passed, we start killing them. I know a lot of people are going to call it bad sportsmanship but yeah. It's actually pretty fun and quick money. It lures people into a false sense of security that they really can't come back from very often. We're all S/S+ so it doesn't really matter if we win or lose; we just do this for fun. I've gotten nasty messages but I've also gotten friend requests that said it was really funny. x3

During Turf War... I don't mind squid parties. :) I do think that if after the first minute, no one is participating with you then you should let it go and play seriously. I've actually had people harass me during Turf War when I'm not in the mood to squid party and I really don't agree with that... Although I think my name has a lot to do with it. :( My IGN is Senpai and there's been an increase in players trying to squid party with me and harass me, only to send me a friend request saying they'd like to play again with "senpai". What in heaven's name makes you think I want to play with you ever again after that? I'm just going to block you actually. It's aggravating sometimes and I'm seriously considering changing my name over it. :confused:

I do like squid parties though. If I'm in the mood for one and come across one, I'll gladly join. Or I may start on for myself. Of course, if no one joins me after the first minute, I'll start playing seriously. It's actually a little fun. I'm often using the Inkbrush to squid party but I'm also an Inkbrush main. So if no one joins, I just jump into action and can usually help my team take back the game with how fast and slippery I am. The other team has trouble catching me and it's amusing to see how hard they pursue me when I start playing seriously. :rolleyes: Should've just played with me. :rolleyes:

But yeah, squid parties are more common among Japanese players. They typically find them more fun and are more likely to jump in. :) It's weird because Japanese players are more competitive than Western players generally but they're also more fun. xD

I actually think i've seen this before? I mean... there was a time were I was just inking some turf around some partiers and I got attacked, even though I wasn't trying to be aggressive. I try not to do this and i've honestly shot at teammates that try to do that when i'm partying.
There are some people who will kill people who are inking just for safety. Honestly... Most people will turn on us and kill us instead. If we leave them alone, most of the time they're just going to come over and attempt to ruin our fun by killing us. So a lot of people who squid party have learned to kill those who are inking and keep them away before they can kill us. I usually just leave them alone but if it seems they're coming too close to us, I'll toss a bomb or sprinkler at them to ward them off.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've done a "squid party" in Ranked before but it was during a Quad Squad... And it wasn't the an actual squid party. :p There have been times when a couple friends and I will start a quad squad and for the first two minutes or so, we'll lure the other team into a squid party. After some time has passed, we start killing them. I know a lot of people are going to call it bad sportsmanship but yeah. It's actually pretty fun and quick money. It lures people into a false sense of security that they really can't come back from very often. We're all S/S+ so it doesn't really matter if we win or lose; we just do this for fun. I've gotten nasty messages but I've also gotten friend requests that said it was really funny. x3

There are some people who will kill people who are inking just for safety. Honestly... Most people will turn on us and kill us instead. If we leave them alone, most of the time they're just going to come over and attempt to ruin our fun by killing us. So a lot of people who squid party have learned to kill those who are inking and keep them away before they can kill us. I usually just leave them alone but if it seems they're coming too close to us, I'll toss a bomb or sprinkler at them to ward them off.
An admitted troll, then? On the block list you go. People like you are part of why I refuse to quad with my friends, either we run into elite Japanese squads with military-level tactics or jokers like you, and it generally proves to be unpleasant either way.

As for the second part... it's a two-way street. People here like to claim killing partiers is "rude" and "ruining their fun", and I guess it can be if one guy out of 8 butts in. But you're already refusing to play the game in the intended manner, not sure how you can possibly have a leg to stand on if you preemptively harass people just trying to play the game.

Though I've encountered your little "tactic" before, and thankfully my friends and I just killed them dead. You know, like you seem to expect people to in turf battles. I'm sure it's not fun when it backfires so harshly. Oh, the schadenfreude!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
That's, uh... Kind of really messed up, and I don't even play ranked.
That's really all I can say about that... Like Dess said you kinda just admitted to being a troll to get wins, which is really unfair and rude.
If I did play ranked, and if I was a better / pro player i'd probably kill you if you tried that the instant I saw it. Ranked is serious, yo.

As for the second part... it's a two-way street. People here like to claim killing partiers is "rude" and "ruining their fun", and I guess it can be if one guy out of 8 butts in. But you're already refusing to play the game in the intended manner, not sure how you can possibly have a leg to stand on if you preemptively harass people just trying to play the game.
I agree with this.
I think this is the main reason I try to not initiate in squid partying unless a majority of the game's players are already doing it.
Honestly I at least try to get 400 points either way, so i'm not completely useless when I end up partying.

G

girigiriHERO

I say never ever do it in ranked (though I don't really play ranked since I play for fun)...
If others start squid partying on your team, I feel it's ok to join them if you don't feel up for being serious? I enjoy doing it sometimes as a sort of relaxing thing, ESPECIALLY when maps I hate are on or when most of my team is doing it anyways.
without reading any replies I will give you the definite answer...NEVER, UNLESS it's in a Private Game. Don't ruin other peoples fun because you don't feel like playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

For all people who support Squid Partying, nobody should be forced to leave a lobby and rejoin or quit matches because you don't feel like playing properly, go in to solo if you're a loner and jump around with the Octolings all you want.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
without reading any replies I will give you the definite answer...NEVER, UNLESS it's in a Private Game. Don't ruin other peoples fun because you don't feel like playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

For all people who support Squid Partying, nobody should be forced to leave a lobby and rejoin or quit matches because you don't feel like playing properly, go in to solo if you're a loner and jump around with the Octolings all you want.
But you see, nobody's gonna listen to that if they're just playing for fun to begin with.
Especially Japan players that couldn't care less, because they're the ones I see doing it most.
Honestly, as I mentioned multiple times, Splatoon is a game for fun. Everyone's definition of fun is different- whither it be partying or not. I just say let people have their fun unless they're actively doing it just to be a jerk.

You're kinda making squid partiers out to be villians no matter the situation and from what i'm gathering, you don't want it to be allowed in any online matches when we're just trying to enjoy the game too. Some know when to stop partying and play serious though, especially when nobody else in the team is participating. If everyone else is and one person is playing serious just let the guys have their fun because it's likely they just happened to meet in a random match. It's happened to me like that before. How else are you going to meet other squid partiers other than scavenging the miiverse and begging your IRL friends, if you have any?

I need to continue on to say how a majority of the squid partiers I met and added were japanese and had very little english understanding if any, and I probably would have never met them otherwise (We even do serious matches. It's pretty fun). So despite there being the quite a few that give squid partying a bad rep like ones that do it in ranked and ones that attack players that just want to cover turf and not bother the partiers, it's actually useful to make overseas friends in a playful manner and perhaps even do serious games with them later.

That could just me my opinion, though. I just didn't like how you instantly started talking like me and others that squid party sometimes aren't "playing properly" and should basically frick off in a game for fun to begin with. Huh.

(Sorry for my language, I couldn't think of a better term at the time.)

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
An admitted troll, then? On the block list you go. People like you are part of why I refuse to quad with my friends, either we run into elite Japanese squads with military-level tactics or jokers like you, and it generally proves to be unpleasant either way.
Oh dear. My apologies. I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to have any sort of fun in video games. I didn't realize they turned into such serious business at some point. :confused: Calm down. It's a joke. Although I realize that less and less people are able to take a joke any longer. My bad for trying to have a little fun I guess. x)

Though I've encountered your little "tactic" before, and thankfully my friends and I just killed them dead. You know, like you seem to expect people to in turf battles. I'm sure it's not fun when it backfires so harshly. Oh, the schadenfreude!
It's actually quite fun when it backfires! :) That's not sarcasm either. x) When it comes to squid partying in Turf War, I'm appreciative of the players who can catch me. It's not the easiest thing to catch me with a brush; I've made more than enough people salty by being the hardest thing on the field to catch. So it's always nice to find players who are skillful enough with their weapons to catch me.

When it comes to Ranked, any of us are quite appreciative of peoples' skill levels. It's actually quite common to find people in S+ who are capable of fighting back. Sometimes we can't even kill them because their guard is up so high! c: If someone can hold us off after our trick, it's still been a successful time. We found skilled players and had a fun match. The fun is what counts! ^.^

I've made a lot of friends through doing this. Many people find it amusing and find it to be a nice challenge to fight us back. I've found it especially amuses people when we're all using the same weapons and dressed the same. That's when we get the most amused friend requests from people. x) I guess it depends on how you look at the game, no?

That's, uh... Kind of really messed up, and I don't even play ranked.
That's really all I can say about that... Like Dess said you kinda just admitted to being a troll to get wins, which is really unfair and rude.
If I did play ranked, and if I was a better / pro player i'd probably kill you if you tried that the instant I saw it. Ranked is serious, yo.
It's apparently a crazy thought but maybe.... We're just trying to have fun and joke around with people. :/ Often times though, it doesn't seem like fun is allowed in Splatoon anymore. Everyone is always serious and can never lighten up. If trying to make people laugh and have a good time means that we're bad people.... Fine. We're bad people. I don't think any of us would have trouble saying we're bad people for trying to have a little fun. :/

Besides, it's squads in S/S+. We don't lose or gain any points during squads at this point. So it's not like a win or loss matters. That's why so many S/S+ players won't do solo anymore. We can play and mess around in squads without worry. x) If we win.... cool. We won. If we lose... Cool. We lost. The other team was skilled and we can appreciate that. It's always nice finding a skilled team.

It's never about the wins but I do understand that it is much easier to assume the worst in anything. Frankly, we don't care if we win. If we were playing to always win, we'd be using our main weapons. We just want to have fun. It's like when we choose to all use Bamboozlers. Other quads will often underestimate us and go easier on us. We know they'll probably go easier on us and that underestimation can cause us to win but it's still hilarious to attempt Rainmaker with four Bamboozlers. Seriously, it's really amusing to chase the other players around with sticks. :P Does it really make us "trolls" for attempting to have a little fun with our sticks? Does it make us "trolls" to not be completely serious during Ranked? It's quite sad if it does. We never ask people to take it easy on us when we're using Bamboozlers or squid partying to throw them off. We're just trying to have a little fun and joke around. If someone takes it easier on us... It's not our fault. If someone goes all out... It's not our fault. We'll play according to how the opponents do.

I don't know. I guess I thought in a squid party thread, there would be a little more understanding towards trying to have fun in the game. Squid parties in Turf War serve no purpose than to have useless fun.... Same thing here. We're just trying to have useless fun to entertain ourselves when we're tired of being competitive all the time. That's all. :)

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It's apparently a crazy thought but maybe.... We're just trying to have fun and joke around with people. :/ Often times though, it doesn't seem like fun is allowed in Splatoon anymore. Everyone is always serious and can never lighten up. If trying to make people laugh and have a good time means that we're bad people.... Fine. We're bad people. I don't think any of us would have trouble saying we're bad people for trying to have a little fun. :/
I only say it's rude in ranked because usually people don't like to joke around in that mode.
But ... Hell if I know. I don't play ranked so I probably shouldn't be talking / I never really understand what's fun about being rank S/S+ in ranked, sorry about that. I was just going off of what others said and the fact we lost when other people started partying the few times I played. I apologize for that. I thought turf wars was the mode for lightening up, but apparently everything is serious now? Whenever I try to justify squid parties being ok as long as you're not a jerk in turf wars I get told "no! it's bad!" by someone.

I was about to make the no fun allowed joke with the person I replied to before you just posted, but I felt it'd be rude...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I only say it's rude in ranked because usually people don't like to joke around in that mode.
But ... Hell if I know. I don't play ranked so I probably shouldn't be talking / I never really understand what's fun about being rank S/S+ in ranked, sorry about that. I was just going off of what others said and the fact we lost when other people started partying the few times I played. I apologize for that. I thought turf wars was the mode for lightening up, but apparently everything is serious now? Whenever I try to justify squid parties being ok as long as you're not a jerk in turf wars I get told "no! it's bad!" by someone.

I was about to make the no fun allowed joke with the person I replied to before you just posted, but I felt it'd be rude...
Nah~ It's cool. x3 Misunderstandings can happen. I guess it depends on what sort of player people are. I've met a lot of friends through doing this and people can find it really amusing. x3 But people also can get nasty about it, but I also get nasty messages when playing normally so. xD That's why we try to keep it in quads though, you know? We don't disturb anyone's game like we would in twins. If people fight back at the start, we'll switch quickly and fight back too so they don't get an easy win. If they participate in our small party, they'll usually fight back hard as soon as we turn on them. :P

The S/S+ ranks are niche ranks. They're only fun for competitive players. I'm a competitive player but at the same time, it can get tiring sometimes and it's good to unwind a little bit. The competition is fun but being serious all the time is so boring, so it's good to have a little fun in turf or Ranked. These days... Turf is getting as competitive as Ranked is so there doesn't feel like there's too much of a difference. x)

People will always say something is bad when they don't like it. :) I would say just continue~. there are different ways to play the game. We've gotten an idea as a society that there is only one way to play games and that's just not true. People can easily switch lobbies if they don't want to be in a party lobby~ Like how we switch lobbies when we get salty at a player. No harm. No foul.

I'm not sure if this made any since. I haven't slept so I'm sorry if it was a little confusing. ^.^'

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Oh! I added a poll for anyone interested that's reading most recent posts!

I'm not sure if this made any since. I haven't slept so I'm sorry if it was a little confusing. ^.^'
It's fine, I think I get the just of what you were saying!
Thanks for clearing it up for me. I really don't understand super competitive play since that usually ends up stressing me out to an extreme. That's the main reason that I don't play ranked... I'd probably become a little burning ball of fury or something and that's not fun for me or my friend I do duo squad with since we're often in a voice chat. I guess in the end your method makes sense too, especially considering it's technically a way of catching the other team off guard for the advantage of winning (which seems like it could even be clever the more i think about it)

I guess I can also see how it pisses people off, too... I wouldn't like that to happen to me, but if i'm in a four-squid squad with friends in a voice call we may be able to plot out a strategic recovery to win >:3c

I mean... If I was actually competitive... and comfortable talking to more than just one person at a time.

G

girigiriHERO

there are different ways to play the game. We've gotten an idea as a society that there is only one way to play games and that's just not true. People can easily switch lobbies if they don't want to be in a party lobby~
That's where you are wrong, by jumping around you are literally NOT playing the game. So by you inconveniencing others, WE have to change lobbies? You're the definition of selfish. That's like saying I could join a hockey game and pull out a baseball bat because, it's all fun, this is how I play.

Rules are made so there is a standard, if you want to Squid Party, or play Hockey with a Baseball Bat, do it in private so you're not being a nuisance to those who want to RELAX and play. If anything it's more stressful to have someone jumping around rather than playing a game of 4 vs. 4

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh dear. My apologies. I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to have any sort of fun in video games. I didn't realize they turned into such serious business at some point. :confused: Calm down. It's a joke. Although I realize that less and less people are able to take a joke any longer. My bad for trying to have a little fun I guess. x)
If someone purchases and loads up a competitive online game, they're looking to COMPETE. It varies of course, with players all over the place between the spectrum of casuals and 12-hour marathoners, but the majority of people who bought this game and stick with it are here for the player vs player at their skill level.

If you want to joke around and have fun with friends, there's thousands, hell, millions of other titles for you and your friends to do so on. Why potentially ruin the experience of 3-7 other people for your own jollies with an activity as simple as ZL ZL ZL?

I tolerate parties, but I do not understand them. I don't see what's so appealing about mashing a button to flop about. That's something you do in games to pass the time during travel or waiting, not an activity to be sought. Heck, even the sound alone bugs me. But you know what? All that's fine at the end of the day, despite me grumbling enough to have a rep as the party-hating guy, it's ultimately just water under the bridge five minutes later.

What you do ISN'T fine. If my A rank friends lost a match to that, and therefore points, they'd be fuming and rightfully so. Your shiny fancy S isn't an excuse to not give a damn about others. If you care so little about sportsmanship that you'll try to trick people by not playing, why not just hack to get your "easy money"?

It's a competitive game, of COURSE there's people who treat it as serious business, there always is. People strive to be the world's best at Kirby games since they have time trials :P Saying something's "a joke" or that you're just trying to "have fun" because it's "just a video game" are all classic arguments that people have used to justify their cruddy behavior for as long as games have existed. It wasn't a valid excuse twenty years ago and it sure as hell isn't now.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
…I just squid party to release stress. I find it fun because I don't have to worry about the objective and if we lose (in turf) it's okay. If we win, then it's "WHOA!" And then we go again.

The first time I found myself in a squid party I was trying to win the objective and tried to splat the partiers. Then I just kinda gave in and went over to the partiers. I got splatted (they probably were suspicious) but I ended up being one of them in the end. (The whole room was pretty much in on it, just so you know) We played a lot of battles(parties), one person even writing my name in ink(they had a typo but I was happy nonetheless).

But then some people left the lobby, and some serious players came in. That slowly killed the party and I think I ended up leaving after the first two real battles, but it was a great way of having fun after being frustrated with turf war (and me beating myself up cause I die easy deaths sometimes :/). I haven't found that many(or any) squid parties after that, but I would love to run into some in turf.

I did have a couple of battles with a Japanese user with an N-Zap where we were practically buddies, following each other around and super jumping to each other when we got splatted. We also got revenge splats :) but then he was put on the other team…I think he left sometime after that.

But I would love to squid party again! It has a way of calming me down and putting a goofy smile on my face. But if you don't want it in ranked, your wish is my command. Just keep it in turf :)

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i don't think you can say "never in ranked", because there's two situations i would and have.

first would be when the other team has a disconnect, or several. i feel really bad about stomping teams with disconnects, ESPECIALLY before the patch where you only lose a small bit for DCs. when this happens and my team is clearly winning, i try and party a little with what squids are left to maybe make them feel better. it probably comes across more as a taunt, but sometimes the other team start partying with me. we get the win, and the other team probably feel less salty about the DC in the end <:3 (id never do this at the expense of my own team, though, dont misunderstand)

second, a very specific case, i was extremely upset and frustrated with ranked at one point. so two of my S friends invited me, also an S, to a tri squad. what did we do? if we came across any teams with A+ or lower, we would just party. it was honestly SO GREAT. we got lots of squids partying with us, and i am positive we brightened a lot of frustrated players' game sessions. maybe it's throwing matches, maybe it's giving them an unfair advantage, but who cares. the ranking up system is so unfair and RNG based anyway that one or two throw matches isnt going to make much a difference, other than giving those squids a probably well-needed pick me up :>

at the end of the day, while i know theres a time and place for everything, this is still a game and if people aren't having fun, whats the use?

G

girigiriHERO

I really don't care if you do it in Tri or Quad Squad Ranked as long as your friends don't care because it's a simple knock out for the team.

What I don't like is people saying (sorry to call you out @G1ng3rGar1 ) Turf Wars doesn't matter because it's not Ranked. Just because it's not Ranked doesn't mean people don't get upset that they lose because someone doesn't want to play, as I had stated, it's simply being selfish. In a team based game, not considering your team mates feelings is so rude. One day after leaving and re-joining I was in 5 squid parties in a row, always on my team. I blocked them immediately after as I always do and got paired with others. Do it in private, because issues like that can sour someone's exp so much. There are no valid reasons to do it outside of private, just excuses that don't hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom