• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why are female Inklings more popular?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'm sure i'm not the only female that uses the boy inkling instead of vice versa.
I've definitely seen more players with female names using male inklings in this game compared to Splatoon 1. I almost never saw that happen in the first game. With most cases being the opposite, male names on female inklings, which was my case.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I think part of the reason of the female's popularity is the "Squid Girl" trope created by Ika Musume. I can see someone choosing a gender and going "Let's see...oh hey! Squid girl! Then there's Squid.......boy? No thanks.".

Then there's the design itself. The boy looks too normal. He isn't as emotive, meaning he doesn't show those lovely teeth as often, and he doesn't have those large tentacles dangling on the side of his head. Those giant mesmerizing tentacles.

There's also the cuteness factor. The girl is just too cute not to choose. Once again, she's more emotive, so you get to watch her super happy win animations. She's slightly smaller with softer features, so whatever she does will be seen as cuter than the boy if he does the same thing (Splatling win animation). Then once again...that hair!

Final bonus? This doesn't apply to when the thread started, but best girl in P5 looks like a female inkling, and that's just muy bueno.

Males seem to have improved in the second game. Their hair styles are more interesting, and they are given a much more calm and collected disposition. I was actually surprised to see so many males when starting the second game. I was convinced there would be way more female characters.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
Initially I started off with the boy since the ponytail with bangs look is :cool:. I found myself getting really tired of the boy after about two months though. Playing with the female inkling is just so much more, idk, satisfying? I guess its like others have said, the girls just have that cute factor going for them. I enjoy looking at the female inkling more too, because somehow I find them easier to see? The hairstyles make them stand out far more than the Boys do.

squiddoodly

Full Squid
I've definitely seen more players with female names using male inklings in this game compared to Splatoon 1
The thing about playing Splatoon, is I see people with nicknames more than actual names, so there's more females using boy inklings than I might actually think but I just don't realize they're females with nicknames that can belong to anybody.

xelli

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2133-7944-8510
This was true in the first game but this time around I notice an equal amount of boy and girl inklings

squiddoodly

Full Squid
This was true in the first game but this time around I notice an equal amount of boy and girl inklings
Thankfully the boy inklings have better, more likable hairstyles than the first game. I'm glad people have floated towards them more though, maybe I won't be the only boy inkling on a team anymore.

VOCALOVER

Inkling
I'm male too and play as a female Inkling because, well everyone already said it, but they are so adorable!

And I think a cute Inkling girl splatting everyone is just, fresh.
That's exactly the reason I wear nothing but the Squid Hairclip + the School Cardigan or the Zekko Hoodie and they also happen to have the abilities I want!:p

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Because the red high tops on inkling girl look absaloutely beautiful

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
For the first game, I would say because the girl inkling just has a better design. She looks a lot more natural, and she's seen on a lot more cover art, as she was made first. And the first game, the boy inkling had that awful man bun. It was pretty ugly.

However, most people just pick their inklings based on their gender, or whatever they see themselves as (I'm not going to start a war with the LGBT here). For me, I use the boy inkling, because my username is "ThatOneGuy", it wouldn't make sense if I played as a girl inkling with this name.

I have girl friends who like playing as the boy inkling, and I don't know to this day why they use it, and vice versa. I have some guy friends who use the girl inkling, and I have no clue why. So I guess it's to whatever preference you have.

Also in splat 2 they did a good job with the boy hairstyles, too bad 3/4ths of them are invisible if you're wearing a hat.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I guess a lot of people also like the voice and catchphrases of the Inkling girl more. In Splatoon 1 I always found it a little cringy seeing Inkling girls with male first names, but there seems to be less of that seen in Splatoon 2. I'm glad there are more using Inkling boys thanks to the choice of hairstyles.

I've actually considered changing to the boy a few times just for fun since I've never played as one before and also because I like the design of the School Cardigan for the boy more than the girl.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I know I'm in the minority about this, but I like the boy inklings a lot more than the girls. Don't get me wrong, the girls are awesome, but they're just so hyperactive and enthusiastic. While the boys are much more cool-headed and mellow. Just watch the shooter victory animations for the boy and girl inklings from Sploon 1 and you'll see what I mean. Plus, I actually really like the ponytail hairstyle, and the buzz cut from Sploon 2 as well!

Last edited:

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
I know I'm in the minority about this, but I like the boy inklings a lot more than the girls. Don't get me wrong, the girls are awesome, but they're just so hyperactive and enthusiastic. While the boys are much more mature, cool-headed, and mellow. Just watch the shooter victory animations for the boy and girl inklings from Sploon 1 and you'll see what I mean. Plus, I actually really like the ponytail hairstyle, and the buzz cut from Sploon 2 as well!
"much more mature"

are you actually kidding me, girls are technically more mature than boys because boys joke around like *****s

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
"much more mature"

are you actually kidding me, girls are technically more mature than boys because boys joke around like *****s
Soooo, joking around is immature? Good thing I'm immature then rather than all stuck-up and stiff in a vain attempt at looking mature on the outside. Just pulling your leg of course, but boi that argument is so age-old, I couldn't resist. :D

All gender wars aside, the Inkling boys and girls seem to be drawn from the idealized/stereotypical shounen and shoujo in the Japanese culture. Females being all genki and cute and boys being more "cool" and calm...er. Though the spoken lines of the Inkling Boy amiibo sorta destroy that image with him going full yo at me, lol. Personally I prefer the boy inkling over the girl inkling because he resonates more with me. Playing as a girl feels wrong, something I confirmed one day when I grinded splatfest for a friend of mine. I do like the inkling girl's design, voice and all but I can't bring myself to use it as an avatar.

I'm still a little bummed we didn't get a long "hair"-down option for boys in Sploon 2 but the side-cut one sorta makes up for it, it's a fresh change after having had the same bland, fringe-less ponytail back from S1 all the time (still been happy about it being "long" hair technically though). While I'm not a fan of the short hair options design-wise I can see why people are liking them, one of the reasons being that it's closer to the more popular short hair in real life.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
"much more mature"

Hey, I'm not being sexist or anything. I'm just saying I like the boy inklings personalities more, there's nothing wrong with that. Okay, maybe mature wasn't the right word. Girls definitely are more mature than guys in real life, I can't argue with that. Sorry if I angered you.

Last edited:

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Hey, I not being sexist or anything. I'm just saying I like the boy inklings personalities more, there's nothing wrong with that. Okay, maybe mature wasn't the right word. Girls definitely are more mature than guys in real life, I can't argue with that. Sorry if I angered you.
Nah it's fine bro, I just said it thinking you did't realise :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom