Why Competitive Splatoon should use all Game Modes instead of one

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
You're mixing in the arguments of other people in order to call my post illogical.
Nah fam, it was all related the point you were (trying) to make about how there are variances in turf and comparing it to tournament structures. I simply went into details about the common misperceived "variants", and how they either are the same in ranked or aren't variants at all. Unless you have more I didn't address. You didn't really go into details except for the "1 moment" thing, so I assumed you agreed with en masse on all the variants. Sure your point is that people don't base tournaments off a single instance or factor and using that as a comparison, but my post spoke about how Turf is more than a single instance which breaks down that entire comparison. You may not agree and oh well, but its all there...

Voidaken

Inkling
NNID
Voidaken
I agree with your point and believe all game modes are competitive and should see competitive play; however, your scenario and argument about how some people prefer a specific way to play the game is sort of a moot point. Think of Smash Brothers. There's a ton of different game modes and settings for that game(hell, even completely different games), but the community agrees on one specific way to play. You don't like it? Too bad. People will go around and make tourneys for other tournaments, such as Items On or Amiibo tournaments, but that gets, like, what, 2,000 spectators online? Once the community elites have chosen the "right way" to play, that's the way it is, and nothing is changing that.
It's sort of a ****ty thing about gaming communities, but it's just sort of the unwritten rule of the land.

Box

Pro Squid
Nah fam, it was all related the point you were (trying) to make about how there are variances in turf and comparing it to tournament structures. I simply went into details about the common misperceived "variants", and how they either are the same in ranked or aren't variants at all. Unless you have more I didn't address. You didn't really go into details except for the "1 moment" thing, so I assumed you agreed with en masse on all the variants. Sure your point is that people don't base tournaments off a single instance or factor and using that as a comparison, but my post spoke about how Turf is more than a single instance which breaks down that entire comparison. You may not agree and oh well, but its all there...
But Turf War is actually scored based on the situation at a single instance.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
I'm giving up.
If you were "crushing" for 2 minutes straight and then they admittedly break your defense, you allowed yourselves to get flanked, unable to push back bubbler, then yeah, you guys threw. You chose not to spawn trap and because of that when they overtook you they had enough ground already to comeback.

It would honestly be the same in ranked. As I've stated before if you rode tower to 1, stopped them from advancing the entire game until the last minute when they wiped your team and they were able to get it home, just because you dominated most of the game doesn't mean you were the better team if you couldn't get it home or control the last part of the game.
But in Ranked, you have to hold position for much longer to be able to win after a push back. That's in no way the same situation.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
But Turf War is actually scored based on the situation at a single instance.
Right but that situation is based on how the entire game was played up into that point. Every action has a reaction, and those reactions build up across the game and the winning team comes out of that. You just don't have a countdown or in turf's case a percentage counter to let you know explicitly where your team's progress is. It's the same in ranked if in the beginning of the game you got your counter down to 1 and dominated majority of the match if the other team can get the knockout right before OT factors in.

@Benjamin Hellcat put it great in his post:

Also... a quick read through of "Playing to Win" by David Sirlin may help to understand. It looks to me that we are either arguing different points with each other or perceiving the game differently.

The idea that the better team lost is and will always be false, because it doesn't matter. The idea that the team entirely made up of scrubs got lucky on a technicality and pure luck is extremely far fetched.

A win is a win.

It is pure opinion that the other team was simply sitting on their laurels until that last 30 seconds. This flawed perception is being made by a player trying to come to grips with why they lost based on an inflated self image of them self or their team.

A whole is always made if it's parts.

As a note, I only occasionally play Turf Wars when i need a break from ranked. It's not as bad as is being exaggerated here. Chill.

I'm giving up.
But in Ranked, you have to hold position for much longer to be able to win after a push back. That's in no way the same situation.
Not necessarily, it just depends on the situation or where the tower/zone clock is and your penalty time. Same in turf, lets say if you dominate 30 secs in, get wiped out, come back 30 seconds later you now have 2 minutes to hold. This is all very situational.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Someone had brought up a good point as to why Turf Wars is unviable, and I just cannot remember off the top of my head. It had something to do with that it couldn't be based off of who ultimately won, but over points or something, but that is too inconsistent, and the only way for the mode to be viable was for the whole structure to be changed.

The conversation was being discussed during the Ink or Sink Testfire Tournament Skype Chat. He raised some logical points.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think there's a way of making Turf Wars "viable" for competitive play (technically it already is, as someone said in the first page, if people are competing over something, that something IS competitive viable... or something like that). That said, personally, I don't like that mode that much, so I am fine with Tower Control/Splat Zones being the ~~~official~~~ competitive modes. Though a mode being competitive or not means next to nothing towards an online game like Splatoon. Turf Wars not being competitive (according to some) will not stop people from playing it.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Not necessarily, it just depends on the situation or where the tower/zone clock is and your penalty time. Same in turf, lets say if you dominate 30 secs in, get wiped out, come back 30 seconds later you now have 2 minutes to hold. This is all very situational.
That's not situational, because you always have penalty time if the opponent take back the objective.
If your penalty time is low enough in the end and manage to comeback, that means you already worked hard enough beforehand to get your penalty time this low. If you did major mistakes, your penalty will rise again, you get punished for your mistake.
Turf in the 30 last second doesn't have such a gameplay mechanic.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
I wonder what Nintendo's thought was making Turf War "casual" and excluding it from ranked.

Box

Pro Squid
Right but that situation is based on how the entire game was played up into that point. Every action has a reaction, and those reactions build up across the game and the winning team comes out of that. You just don't have a countdown or in turf's case a percentage counter to let you know explicitly where your team's progress is. It's the same in ranked if in the beginning of the game you got your counter down to 1 and dominated majority of the match if the other team can get the knockout right before OT factors in.
You're distracting by bringing up things that don't matter. The point is that they're not scored the same. You have less information about the whole of the match when you look at the final score in turf than you do looking at the final score in zones or tower and it's because of this difference.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Just as a side note, I would like to mention that there is actually such a thing as competitive Rock Paper Scissors. I'm dead serious.

http://priceonomics.com/the-world-of-competitive-rock-paper-scissors/

So, is it possible to make a serious competition out of something that people would traditionally consider to be non-competitive? Yes. But does that mean that the game does not have flaws in its structure that allow players of lesser skill to win? No. (See the part of the article about tournament results.)

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
You're distracting by bringing up things that don't matter. The point is that they're not scored the same. You have less information about the whole of the match when you look at the final score in turf than you do looking at the final score in zones or tower and it's because of this difference.
No I'm not. You keep saying the whole game doesn't matter and I explain how it does but you call that distracting. If distracting is proving that the whole game of turf does matter then yeah, it is distracting from your point as it proves it wrong.

I agree that you have less information, as you only get the percentages at the end. So there is less hard data of "Oh we needed to come back x%" or "we cant let them get x% more turf" Lots of times you look down at the map in Turf War and it seems even, even at the end before the scores come up, lots of times it looks like your team won when they actually lost vice-versa. So if your complaint is there is no accurate way to track exact progress during the match then you are right. That is a valid point. That still doesn't mean the whole entire game up until the end doesn't matter. You may feel frustrated and think its not good for ranked for that reason, valid, but like I said before unless you are arguing you could be spawned camped for the entire game, not ink a single thing, and come back in the last minute with any consistency, then I would agree turf is flawed and only the last 30% matters. However that isn't the case no matter how you look at it.

I wonder what Nintendo's thought was making Turf War "casual" and excluding it from ranked.
I explained in my first post that Nintendo's definition of casual is likely based on confrontation. Ranked modes are more specific point focused with a high amount of confrontations. Someone new to the mode wouldn't be able to really get used to the game if they are getting killed every 10 seconds without being able to fully understand the capabilities for certain item abilities or even charge their special. As Box mentioned as well, there isn't a reliable method of keeping track of who is winning other than eyeballing. The ability to track increases incentive and the pressure to win as it keeps it in your face. Not that it wouldn't be there if played competitively as not knowing exactly how much you are ahead or behind also puts the pressure on you, but if you weren't competitive minded it would be something easy to avoid and you could play "casually".

That's not situational, because you always have penalty time if the opponent take back the objective.
If your penalty time is low enough in the end and manage to comeback, that means you already worked hard enough beforehand to get your penalty time this low. If you did major mistakes, your penalty will rise again, you get punished for your mistake.
Turf in the 30 last second doesn't have such a gameplay mechanic.
Going in circles a bit. Like I stated before The penalty time is a handicap. Yes its related to how long you have to hold for but its situational to how long that penalty is. It could be 1 to 60 secs. In Turf there is no penalty time but when in the game you have to make a comeback or hold, depends on the length of the game clock. If you dominate with 2 minutes left on the clock then you HAVE to hold for those 2 minutes. Not 60 secs + your like 5 second clock time. Like I said before if your complaint is that there is no penalty/handicap, that's valid. However to infer that means you always hold/comeback for longer/more effort in ranked isn't true.

Last edited:

Box

Pro Squid
No I'm not. You keep saying the whole game doesn't matter and I explain how it does but you call that distracting. If distracting is proving that the whole game of turf does matter then yeah, it is distracting from your point as it proves it wrong.

I agree that you have less information, as you only get the percentages at the end. So there is less hard data of "Oh we needed to come back x%" or "we cant let them get x% more turf" Lots of times you look down at the map in Turf War and it seems even, even at the end before the scores come up, lots of times it looks like your team won when they actually lost vice-versa. So if your complaint is there is no accurate way to track exact progress during the match then you are right. That is a valid point. That still doesn't mean the whole entire game up until the end doesn't matter. You may feel frustrated and think its not good for ranked for that reason, valid, but like I said before unless you are arguing you could be spawned camped for the entire game, not ink a single thing, and come back in the last minute with any consistency, then I would agree turf is flawed and only the last 30% matters. However that isn't the case no matter how you look at it.
Now you're back to bringing in other people's arguments in order to counter mine.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
Now you're back to bringing in other people's arguments in order to counter mine.
Whatever dude, still directly relates to your argument and proves it wrong. Explain how it doesn't then instead of just making a statement without backing it up.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Another problem with turf wars is that ties at the end are apparently randomized. When you win by 0.1 % a team is randomly selected from what I gathered.Not a huge deal, yes, and yes, ranked modes do the same, but ranked also has overtime and stuff.

Box

Pro Squid
Whatever dude, still directly relates to your argument and proves it wrong. Explain how it doesn't then instead of just making a statement without backing it up.
I don't really feel like putting in a lot of effort when you're trying to prove my arguments wrong without really reading what I'm saying.

I think you basically agree with me but you keep on bringing in all of this other stuff.

Edit: I might actually bring up a short list of things that don't matter to this argument, but give me a little while.

Last edited:

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
I don't really feel like putting in a lot of effort when you're trying to prove my arguments wrong without really reading what I'm saying.

I think you basically agree with me but you keep on bringing in all of this other stuff.

Edit: I might actually bring up a short list of things that don't matter to this argument, but give me a little while.
You keep on saying I'm not addressing your point without explaining how I'm not addressing your point and giving examples about how what I am saying isn't matching up. I'm in advertising, I see through the BS so you are going to have to actually prove your point and stop dancing around how my many reasons that disprove your point are actually wrong.

As far as the overarching conversation of should we have Turf in competitive, yeah, I agree we probably shouldn't however that doesn't mean I have to agree with your reasons of why it shouldn't be. I don't even know why this aspect is a question as I've probably said it 10 times now in this thread, maybe you should actually read what I am saying...

Box

Pro Squid
Things that don't matter:
-That in both Turf and Ranked you can lose after having a period of doing well
-That the better team in Turf war is more likely to win (tautology)
-That holding the lead going into the climax of the match gives an advantage
-That the game is played out in a mostly non-random fashion
-That playing multiple matches in turf converges on the better team winning overall
-Bad analogies
-Anything Sirlin says

Things I was saying or getting to:
-That turf war and ranked modes are scored in a fundamentally different way
-That the final score in turf war draws less information from the match than ranked modes
-That turf war is therefore less informative about the skill of each team

Things I planned to talk about before this nonsense:
-That turf war has no objective until the end of the match
-That these factors suggest a very conservative approach for the majority of the match at high level play

Since you keep talking about stuff on the first list instead of the second, there's not much I can say.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
Things that don't matter:
-That in both Turf and Ranked you can lose after having a period of doing well
-That the better team in Turf war is more likely to win (tautology)
-That holding the lead going into the climax of the match gives an advantage
-That the game is played out in a mostly non-random fashion
-That playing multiple matches in turf converges on the better team winning overall
-Bad analogies
-Anything Sirlin says

Things I was saying or getting to:
-That turf war and ranked modes are scored in a fundamentally different way
-That the final score in turf war draws less information from the match than ranked modes
-That turf war is therefore less informative about the skill of each team

Things I planned to talk about before this nonsense:
-That turf war has no objective until the end of the match
-That these factors suggest a very conservative approach for the majority of the match at high level play

Since you keep talking about stuff on the first list instead of the second, there's not much I can say.
Sigh, again, you say "things don't matter" without explaining why. Just because you say they don't matter doesn't make it fact. Can you not explain why they don't matter? I've literally asked you to like three times. You literally are just listening of things instead of engaging in conversation. We are getting no where because of it.

Sidenote LOL when finally get to the point you think EJ's guide of "how to argue" actually has relevance to this forum. EJ, brah, people need it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom