• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Why Competitive Splatoon should use all Game Modes instead of one

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I never mentioned the Single Player mode, or the amiibos, or the minigames btw. I'm only referring to the four online modes. And you didn't prove why that isn't a bad thing. Making all the four modes to be used for competitive Splatoon. Nothing bad will come out of it, and it will expand the overall meta than just focusing on one or two modes.
There will most likely be a most popular mode that the community will mainly use, and again, taking things WAY too literally. No crap we don't comp play single player.

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
There will most likely be a most popular mode that the community will mainly use, and again, taking things WAY too literally. No crap we don't comp play single player.
There is a difference between literally and too literally, and I can guarantee i'm not the ladder.

And sure there will be a most popular mode, but doesn't mean all other modes shouldn't have a chance.

Since you like comparing this shooter game to Smash Brothers. I shall use Smash Brothers as an example.

Melee is the installment that is considered the most hype and competitive.

Going by your logic, Melee should be the only game Comp Smash should use. But of course MANY people are going to disagree since other Smash installments exist. And each Smash Bros game is different enough to have it's own meta. (Like I said about the modes) And all they have in common is: The more % = the bigger chance of winning. It's a GOOD thing that all the Smash games are used for Comp Smash. It makes the community bigger, and stand out more. It makes some video game something MORE than just a video game.

*sigh*

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
There is a difference between literally and too literally, and I can guarantee i'm not the ladder.

And sure there will be a most popular mode, but doesn't mean all other modes shouldn't have a chance.

Since you like comparing this shooter game to Smash Brothers. I shall use Smash Brothers as an example.

Melee is the installment that is considered the most hype and competitive.

Going by your logic, Melee should be the only game Comp Smash should use. But of course MANY people are going to disagree since other Smash installments exist. And each Smash Bros game is different enough to have it's own meta. (Like I said about the modes) And all they have in common is: The more % = the bigger chance of winning. It's a GOOD thing that all the Smash games are used for Comp Smash. It makes the community bigger, and stand out more. It makes some video game something MORE than just a video game.

*sigh*
There is a difference between a game mode and a game itself

*sigh*

I'm positive each mode will be used at least a few times, but if other modes are not nearly as popular as one, than it is unnecessary to keep featuring them if only the one or two modes are getting popular

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
There is a difference between a game mode and a game itself

*sigh*

I'm positive each mode will be used at least a few times, but if other modes are not nearly as popular as one, than it is unnecessary to keep featuring them if only the one or two modes are getting popular
Those unpopular modes will still have players using them if this happens. Which brings back to one of my main arguments on why it's good.

Also no need to be an *******.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
IMO Turf Wars might have a niche in competitive play, but as a spectator and competitive player I highly doubt it would be preferable to Splat Zones or Tower Control.

Also, just something to keep in mind: considering there is no community standard for competitive Splatoon (yet), I encourage everyone come August to try hosting their own events to incorporate your own ideas into competitive play. That way, if you're interested in Turf Wars from a competitive standpoint, you can host it yourself.

I've been a TO and host to many different competitive games, and just because someone else does it one way doesn't mean you have to do it the same.

However, my personal opinion is that the current ranked modes are far superior to Turf Wars in that they are both more entertaining and more skill-based.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
IMO Turf Wars might have a niche in competitive play, but as a spectator and competitive player I highly doubt it would be preferable to Splat Zones or Tower Control.

Also, just something to keep in mind: considering there is no community standard for competitive Splatoon (yet), I encourage everyone come August to try hosting their own events to incorporate your own ideas into competitive play. That way, if you're interested in Turf Wars from a competitive standpoint, you can host it yourself.

I've been a TO and host to many different competitive games, and just because someone else does it one way doesn't mean you have to do it the same.

However, my personal opinion is that the current ranked modes are far superior to Turf Wars in that they are both more entertaining and skill-based.
So... Did I make this thread too early? Because I made it since mostly everyone believes that Splat Zones should be the only Mode.

I don't think a community is gonna do something just to cater to a small amount of people wanting to play something different
After since you try to keep trying to provoke me to replying and not really taking consideration to half of what I said, I am fully convinced your are just a troll poisoning this thread. I am now ignoring you, have a nice day.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
So... Did I make this thread too early? Because I made it since mostly everyone believes that Splat Zones should be the only Mode.
I don't speak for everyone else, but neglecting possibly 2 entire ranked game types doesn't exactly exude diversity or inclusiveness. If competitive Splatoon was only about Splat Zones then it might get stale quick.

Gotta stay fresh!

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
I don't speak for everyone else, but neglecting possibly 2 entire ranked game types doesn't exactly exude diversity or inclusiveness. If competitive Splatoon was only about Splat Zones then it might get stale quick.

Gotta stay fresh!
Alright, i'll keep this thread up then. I'll add your mini-speech about waiting till August in the OP.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
@AnchorTea, seeing as how you never responded to my last post(though I don't fault you for that because the discussion was getting pretty contentious), do you at least agree/concede that Ranked mode is more skill based than TW? I also pose this question to others who think TW can be (potentionally) competitive.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
I've only skimmed this thread, but including all modes brings up a few questions: do we use every map and every mode, or do we decide what maps are strongest for what modes and limit it down to 2-3 maps per mode?

Maybe we could allow Smash-style counterpicks, or have a list of modes for a Bo7 like in Halo that is cycled through. But this is still a bit too early to say what works and what doesn't. Something like this shouldn't really be discussed until the end of the year.

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
@AnchorTea, seeing as how you never responded to my last post(though I don't fault you for that because the discussion was getting pretty contentious), do you at least agree/concede that Ranked mode is more skill based than TW? I also pose this question to others who think TW can be (potentionally) competitive.
Hell. Yes. I even have personal experience with this.

I pretty much win 96% of TW matches. Because I have a good mix of Splattering and covering turf effectively. One of the reasons is because I have adapt a strategy with close combat with the Dynamo Roller. The reason I am not that good at ranked though is because I have issues with crowd control and my overall perception.

Maybe if there was a TW match with 4 skilled players vs. 4 skilled players. Then it would be pretty intense. Can't confirm this though since August takes a million years to come.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum

After since you try to keep trying to provoke me to replying and not really taking consideration to half of what I said, I am fully convinced your are just a troll poisoning this thread. I am now ignoring you, have a nice day.
How am I a troll? For stating my opinion on the topic?

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
This is very similar to this thread here.
I will copy and paste my post from there to high to further the argument that Turf Wars cannot be as competitive as Splat Zones.
(And that they cannot co exist.)
Splat Zones and Turf wars are the only two contenders right now for title of main competitive mode. While Turf Wars is the flagship mode of the game, Nintendo has geared it towards a more casual audience. Splat Zones is a King of the Hill esque mode that has the same general format as Turf Wars in terms of maps and players per team. Nintendo has deemed this the competitive mode which is offered for Splatoon by surrounding Ranked mode around it. Now that we have facts out of the way, we shall commence to hear my humble, not full of myself opinions. While I do think that Turf War will have an impact one way or another on the competitive community in the future, I just can’t see it becoming any bigger than a side-show. In Turf Wars, there might be many inactive cam players (which means players that wont get any footage time at a certain interval) due to the main objective of the entire mode, which is cover as much of the map in your own ink. They won’t get any cam time, because as it stands, there is no real conflict happening with them, just inking and inking. The active players are the ones who dash as quickly as possible to the front lines in order to gain conflict. Those few players are the ones who will get cam time. What does this mean? The audience has less content to watch, because conflict is not thriving. Is this bad for the competitive community? Arguably not. Is this bad for the people spectating? Yes. The whole situation the Turf Wars is put in is a complete contradiction of Splat Zones. In Splat Zones, you have to be constantly fighting for the base, and if you aren’t, well then you will lose. This makes it so that conflict will be available at any time you wish, and you can hand it to the spectators on a silver platter. That is why I think Splat Zones will be put in charge as the primary mode for our beloved competitive community; it is simply more exciting to watch.

Last edited:

Snowboar

Full Squid
NNID
Snowboar
ITT Mario Kart players complaining about "luck" in Splatoon....

Shouldn't we wait until there has been turf war clan matches before we start dismissing the mode as a competitive mode?

"Yeah but we of Imperious have tested it, and we didn't like it," Therefore we must take out the mode and force others to play splat zones/tower control because we are better at those modes to retain our status as a "top tier" team.

I would appreciate if you could leave your bias and personal agenda to yourselves and discuss the actual competitiveness of the mode.

Personally, I think instead of trying to get this mode banned, trying to get something constructive going would be better. I mean come on, many of us came from the Mario Kart community, which didn't have a properly functioning "team mode" either. But what we did do was create a meta game out of it, even though the mode was still FFA.

Going with this analogy, I think something like "adding the points of a team up over the span of 12 matches, the clan with the most points wins." just like the Mario Kart meta game. This would make everything you do important. (inking turf, killing the enemy to prevent them of racking up points etc.)
It would also make winning less important and it takes out the importance of the last 30 seconds, because it will only award 1200p which over 12 games could easily be recovered from. (again, just like in Mario kart)
It also forces your team to do well consistently on both skill and strategic level. (which makes the mode even more competitive than the others because the other modes rely more on raw power rather than strategic playing.)

TL;DR: Please use more constructive criticism instead of dismissing the game mode.

oh and P.S. I've seen people talk about "random inkzookas/inkstrikes etc" these people aim their special attacks at you, there is literally nothing "random" about that. (except when lag starts messing up the game) But this can be said of any game mode Splatoon has to offer.

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
This is very similar to this thread here.
I will copy and paste my post from there to high to further the argument that Turf Wars cannot be as competitive as Splat Zones.
(And that they cannot co exist.)
Splat Zones and Turf wars are the only two contenders right now for title of main competitive mode. While Turf Wars is the flagship mode of the game, Nintendo has geared it towards a more casual audience. Splat Zones is a King of the Hill esque mode that has the same general format as Turf Wars in terms of maps and players per team. Nintendo has deemed this the competitive mode which is offered for Splatoon by surrounding Ranked mode around it. Now that we have facts out of the way, we shall commence to hear my humble, not full of myself opinions. While I do think that Turf War will have an impact one way or another on the competitive community in the future, I just can’t see it becoming any bigger than a side-show. In Turf Wars, there might be many inactive cam players (which means players that wont get any footage time at a certain interval) due to the main objective of the entire mode, which is cover as much of the map in your own ink. They won’t get any cam time, because as it stands, there is no real conflict happening with them, just inking and inking. The active players are the ones who dash as quickly as possible to the front lines in order to gain conflict. Those few players are the ones who will get cam time. What does this mean? The audience has less content to watch, because conflict is not thriving. Is this bad for the competitive community? Arguably not. Is this bad for the people spectating? Yes. The whole situation the Turf Wars is put in is a complete contradiction of Splat Zones. In Splat Zones, you have to be constantly fighting for the base, and if you aren’t, well then you will lose. This makes it so that conflict will be available at any time you wish, and you can hand it to the spectators on a silver platter. That is why I think Splat Zones will be put in charge as the primary mode for our beloved competitive community; it is simply more exciting to watch.
Spatoon was geared to a casual audience, but a competitive scene has already been bound to happen. Isn't that ironic?

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Spatoon was geared to a casual audience, but a competitive scene has already been bound to happen. Isn't that ironic?
Splatoon was built to be competitive, but also caters to casual audiences. Sort of like the opposite of how smash is.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Can I ask why that is relevant to the discussion we are having?
They bolded the part they were referring to man, you said Turf War is geared towards casual and they pointed out that Splatoon as a whole is geared towards casual yet has a competitive community developing, making the implication that Turf War can also be competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom