• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Worldwide Splatfest Inklings vs. Octolings 7/20

Phantom808

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Phantom808
Switch Friend Code
SW-0079-4659-0012
just saw the results..and tbh i am not even shocked nor suprised,Team octopus had alot of the noobs this time so i already knew it would be like this.
Exactly. I was constantly getting level 20s on my team who were getting under 5 splats half of the time which was really annoying. One match I got 1200 points and 14 splats and the rest of my team had a total of 3.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Probably the best experience I've had playing this game since release. Played my first couple of matches solo and then went on in a group, finished 20-6 overall, peaked 2339, finished 2282 power. Probably fastest time I've gotten to Queen or King lul. Most of the games against Octos were pretty easy, it just seems to me like we lost to squid a lot more. If you saw any "Splat Dad" in a squad with a bunch of other Splats, that was me. gg thoctos

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm surprised Inklings only won by such a small margin because it was an absolute Octoling slaughter this fest. Had a win/lose rate of about 75/25 in the end. That's better than any Splatfest I've ever had.

I seriously, really, ****ing hate that this Shifty Station was only available for 24 hours. If this were a normal stage, it'd be one of my favorites for sure. The gimmick is unique and adds something, while not being too distracting. The layout was great too. I played for about 100 matches (instead of just going to Queen like usual) just so I could play it some more.

They better bring back Shifty Stations when the Splatfests end, even if that's late in the game's life.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I know bad teammates come with Splatfest, like that's standard stuff. It's kinda annoying seeing someone go 0/5 with the bamboo or E4K and ink like 300 turf, but that's standard TW fare. You're kind of expected to carry games every now and then.

It's D/C's that are a massive dud for me. Unless your team can regularly score double kills, you're working up sharply uphill as you have 1 less ink tank to cover ground with, which is a problem because that's exactly the objective in TW. All it takes is one wipe and you're not coming back, unless you get a miracle or the enemy team has the aforementioned bamboo/E4K on their team. Talking about that...

This shifty station is in particularly bad because of that, you're not claiming their objective with just 3 guys targeting the tentacles leaving a good chunk of their turf unclaimable. They will easily steamroll through yours, allowing access right to your spawn where they can commence the spawncamp because there is only one way out of there. If this happens you might as well just wait it out and take the loss, you're not coming back because you have to tunnel through their team, their 2-3 tentacles, and then reach their side somehow with one less person.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
HA! Not the least bit surprised at all!

Heck, after Team Squid Squadding on an alt, I took it into solo... with an E-Liter... my worse charger weapon skill-wise! My matches were often an unintentional 3v4 with me missing shots and often getting only assists via ink mines—yet went on a win streak and ending just under 2300 splatfest power!!!

Didn't matter what group of randos I got—I was an E-Liter Luigi and won by doing nothing!

Gonna console my octo loss by rerolling my hundred sea snails for chunks...

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Welp, the duty has been done...

The O C T O T H O T S have been terminated.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
My solo experience with team squid was the opposite of what most people are saying. I had Roller teamies that did nothing but roll. I was often trying to defend mid by myself while everyone else is roaming around the stage, and 3 or 4 Octolings were together ready to destroy me.

I will quickly admit I didn't play particularly well. I was messing around with Tetras, which I don't quite know how to use effectively. There were other issues, but I'll leave it at that. It's still frustrating that I had to carry the entire match to win, and I just wasn't good enough to do that.

Needless to say, this Splatfest was awful for me. I just wanted it to freaking end, but the losses just kept piling up and the purgatory just kept going. On one positive bit, I made a new piece of equipment without having to use chunks.

Last edited:

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I'm sorry, did just warp in from an alternate dimension? because as a team squid member I was getting my butt kicked. though that might be because the only maps I got played were some of my least favourites, (Kelp Dome, Humpback Pump Track and this awful, awful Shifty Station,) Camp Triggerfish is pretty great though.

Also, I was yet again stuck in:
Dualie Squelcher Hell TM

I'm just glad we squids won so Team Overrated can't gloat to my face.
This shifty station is in particularly bad because of that, you're not claiming their objective with just 3 guys targeting the tentacles leaving a good chunk of their turf unclaimable. They will easily steamroll through yours, allowing access right to your spawn where they can commence the spawncamp because there is only one way out of there. If this happens you might as well just wait it out and take the loss, you're not coming back because you have to tunnel through their team, their 2-3 tentacles, and then reach their side somehow with one less person.
^ This.
I'd also add that I think the primarily flat surfaces made it pretty good for the newly buffed Tenta Missiles.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Dumpster fire for me, too, on team Octopus. I personally was on fire, with scores between 900-1300 every time, and usually 4-7 kills (I usually get only a couple). I even had one hellacious disconnect where it was just me against 3 opponents, and I went 5-0 in that game. I am officially an Explosher main. But I lost, and lost, and lost. My best games were mirror matches. So yeah, I'm also surprised it was that close.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I was gone all week on a trip and didn't get back home until there were only 2 hours left in the 'fest. After unpacking and everything I could only play 9 battles, but I did go 7-2 repping team squid. If there was anything that sold the complete imbalance to me it was the fact I played 2 battles where both teams had a disconnect and we easily won those 2 battles.

The second of these 2 battles was on Goby Arena. After exiting the matchmaking screen it had the camera moving across spawn and it showed one of our players disconnecting and turning into vaporized ink. When the battle started we tried our hardest to keep it close, and we did a really good job of holding our line. After about halfway through the match they had a player warping around and then disconnect. The rest of the battle was a complete spawncamp. All I did after that was stay in the center of the map to pick off enemies that got around my other 2 teammates. I finished that battle with the most points of anyone and with a K/D of 10(1)-0. Stats don't mean everything, but team octo had some horrendous players.

I believe it is now time to accept that the less popular team has an advantage.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Glad Squid won of course, but it also means the least popuar team wins yet again. Hard to deny there's correlation at this point. Those who desperately want those 3 extra snails now know to choose the likely less favorable side. I still have 100+ so I'll continue choosing based on how I feel about the topic.

Also I had a hilarious 10+ game streak of getting non-contributing charger teammates, yet somehow only lost one of those games. In general I believe most players on both sides in any given Splatfest are, well, not the greatest to say the least, so you pretty much have to carry every game if you want to have a high win-rate.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Also I had a hilarious 10+ game streak of getting non-contributing charger teammates, yet somehow only lost one of those games. In general I believe most players on both sides in any given Splatfest are, well, not the greatest to say the least, so you pretty much have to carry every game if you want to have a high win-rate.
That's a lot of chargers... but if one of those was somehow me while on my alt—you have such wonderfully defined shoulders and impressive arm strength :oops:! lel

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
That's a lot of chargers... but if one of those was somehow me while on my alt—you have such wonderfully defined shoulders and impressive arm strength :oops:! lel
Ha, my slouch position by default shoulders and sticks for arms beg to differ! Were you just practicing, cause honestly Chargers aren't the best pick for solo splatfest if you're really trying to win. Maybe the Firefin is okay though.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
On the contrary I (mistakenly) feel that solo Splatfest charger is a "great" personal 'git gud snipe skrub' motivator... somehow. :confused:

But that could just be personal justification as I've sort of deviated into a habit of using chargers for a portion of my solo Splatfest outings. :oops:

And normally I lean on mid and short range chargers, with the Eliters being my worst charger skill. I only used it as an amusing test to see just how lousy Team Octopus was. This resulted in my squid alt getting into a win streak by being carried every match. At least I managed to ink lots of turf (by missing). Eheheheh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom