• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Worldwide Splatfest Inklings vs. Octolings 7/20

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Saw a post that reminded me, neither squids nor octopodes can hold a candle to the glorious cuttlefish. Similar body shape to a squid, only more so, and with cuter eyes. (Well, cuter until they dilate, anyhow.)

But alas, there are no Cuttlings in the Splatoon universe yet, so we must make do.
Yeah, I saw that post too! Who knows, maybe they’ll keep the trend and add a third species for Splatoon 3...

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
Gosh, I'm still torn on which team I want to choose! But one thing is certain for me: I'm getting really tired of the whole "if Team Squid wins, the developers will *insert vague idea of negative things happening to Octolings* in Splatoon 3!" mindset that I'm seeing around the internet. Please, just calm down. Nintendo isn't about to ditch Octolings when the fanbase has so clearly wanted them for so long. I really don't think we have anything to worry about! Our Octos are here to stay.

That being said, these fears seem to be channeling hatred for Squids/Inklings, so I find myself leaning more and more towards joining Team Squid simply to prove them wrong and show my support for the underdogs. I personally prefer playing as an Octoling (the girls are so feminine and quiet, I adore them) but nothing could ever make me hate the Inklings. I'll be happy for whichever team wins in the end!

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
I'm for team Squib! :p Yes, octopodes (the 'correct' term but whatever) are smarter than squids and exhibit intelligent problem solving skills BUT my fascination with the Squibs is there incredible array of body forms that greatly outnumber the octopodes. there is Flying squid which, with it's large fins and membranous tentacles can glide out of the water. Young Chiroteuthis mimic stinging siphonophores to deter predators. Magnapinna have ultra long tentacles bent at 90 degrees. Firefly squid are bioluminescent. Glass squid have T H I C C, transparent bodies, and Giant squid have been culturally depicted as the Kraken (Oh how I miss you:().

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Well on the bright side (for me at least), with the likely abundance of worthless mirror matches, I can get some weapon practice!

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
I'm for team Squib! :p Yes, octopodes (the 'correct' term but whatever) are smarter than squids and exhibit intelligent problem solving skills BUT my fascination with the Squibs is there incredible array of body forms that greatly outnumber the octopodes. there is Flying squid which, with it's large fins and membranous tentacles can glide out of the water. Young Chiroteuthis mimic stinging siphonophores to deter predators. Magnapinna have ultra long tentacles bent at 90 degrees. Firefly squid are bioluminescent. Glass squid have T H I C C, transparent bodies, and Giant squid have been culturally depicted as the Kraken (Oh how I miss you:().
Technically "octopuses" is the correct English plural for octopus. "Octopodes" is the Greek reformation, since the word "octopus" is Greek to begin with, but we're not speaking Greek here. ;P In a way, I suppose both are correct? Source

But anyway, yeah, I don't think I ever realized just how many different kinds of squids there are! Firefly squids have always been my personal favorite - what's cooler than a tiny, glow-in-the-dark woomy? I've always liked the intelligence of octopuses and their love for solitude, however. Both are such cool animals.

Neva

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2770-4966-8786
So what confuses me is that.. If you don't have the Octo expansion can you only pick team squid? That seems kinda dumb.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I still think Team Squid will be more popular despite most agreeing otherwise, but we'll see!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Why are some people approaching this as a real-life animal squids vs octopuses fest? Inklings ARE squids (remember the kid/squid song?) and Octolings ARE octopuses and the artwork and fact you can only play as whatever you voted for has everything to do with this too.
I still think Team Squid will be more popular despite most agreeing otherwise, but we'll see!
I think they'll be less popular, but since I expect there to be more dedicated players on the Inkling side they might be more prevalent during the fest.

Cephalobro

It is actually not about the playable cephalopods themselves, the reason for limiting the sides to the respective playable characters are to be consistent with their real life animals. The text even clarifies this when talking about the nature of the animals and not talking about Inklings and Octolings.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
The icons show an Inkling and an Octoling, so it's just as much about them as it is about the animals

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is actually not about the playable cephalopods themselves, the reason for limiting the sides to the respective playable characters are to be consistent with their real life animals. The text even clarifies this when talking about the nature of the animals and not talking about Inklings and Octolings.
I mean, it isn't techincally, but it is. If you know what I mean.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well, I've done my job. Just got to Squid King.

My win:lose ratio was 20:5. Ended with a Squid Power of 2236.8.

Most of those losses happened while I was in Champion rank for whatever reason. Otherwise everything else went pretty buttery smooth.

This Shifty Station was an interesting one. The gimmick itself was something I never payed too much attention to. Very much an open battlefield.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Made it to Squid King, and there was not a single mirror match, so perhaps I'll be wrong about Squids being more popular then. Also currently at 2500 power, Glooga Dualies putting in the work!

I dig the new Shifty Station, it sort of adds side objectives to turf war with destroying enemy tentacles/defending your own, and the map itself is large and open. Also that confetti effect they've added is kinda cute, though I'm suspicious if it might be making disconnects more likely. :L

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Weird, I haven’t had a single disconnect so far, and I did in fact have one mirror match as a squid. Maybe I’m the odd one out. Then again, I’m only Defender so far, with ~10 matches under my belt, so I’ll have to wait and see.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
dude i love this shifty station! i keep kicking *** on this 1 :D i haven't lost a single match on the shifty station yet,but i think even if i lost i still played well,to bad this map can't become a regular 1 T~T

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom