• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Zapfish Academy [IC Thread: What's in a Club?]

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
Kei nodded in understanding, giving a silent "Thank you" in jellyfish. She grabbed the nearest music sheet..
And stared at it, dumbfounded. She had no idea what these dots with tail meant. Plus the title was in Inkling.
She plucked each note again, listening to the sound. Kei hadn't realized until now...
How the heck do I read this? Is this a different language with dots and tails? What is it!?

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
"No thanks, Mr. Bigfin" Kbot said. "I prefer to stick with what I know. I really like playing trumpet."

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
"Tutu?..." Nyron raised an eyebrow. That's the second time James has called him that...

"Well...yeah, they're written as intelligent," Nyron said, "I mean, if they were the dominant species on the planet, they would have to be more intelligent than others, right?"

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
[Games]

"I was just about to suggest those games!" Pulling up a chair, Jennie smirked and leaned forward. "B.S sounds good." She declared, "we should definitely play B.S."

Jennie skidded a printed, folded-up paper over to Barrett. "If you don't know how to play, there's instructions here-- it's either called Cheat or I Doubt It in this though. Basically," she quickly summarized, "where this game gets it's name is that you can put down any set of cards... as long as you can fake it. If someone is, mmm bluffing or b.s-ing the cards they put down, you can call 'em out! Make them take the center pile."

Good poker face and quick eyes. My kind of game, she thought to herself.

Jennie clicked her tongue. "I like this more than Thirteen, but if you absolute want to play that," she aimed this toward Barrett, "cool. But like I said, we should definitely play B.S."

((@Hesoca & maybe @ReedRGale ?? ))

Hesoca

Full Squid
[Games Club]
Barrett glanced between the two players with complete perplexment - first at the urchin giving him the stink eye, and then at Jennie, whose verbal explanation was either out of helpful courtesy or the thought that he would be too lazy to read the written instructions, (the latter of which was characteristically true).

"Yeah," he said slowly, plucking the instructions off the table and giving them a haphazard glance, "I've played it a few times."

Plopping into a seat next to Jennie, he tossed the paper to the side. "I'll be honest, I could kinda care less about Thirteen. So BS is cool." With a grin, he leaned back in his seat, and, motioning towards Barb, added, "Well, now that we know what we're doin', you gonna deal us in?"

((@Aykorn & @ReedRGale: So how is this going to work? Are we just throwing down cards at random, and making up which ones are truths/lies as we go along?))

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Games Club (Card Table):

"Sure," Barb said, sliding the cards across the table with practiced ease. Maybe it was Barrett's imagination, but she kept glancing back at him more than Jennie. But then again, maybe that was just in his mind.

"Jennie, you first." she muttered.

((@Hesoca and @Aykorn depends on how you want to play it. I could literally simulate this with actual cards if you'd like and we can play a legitimate game over an app or we can play fast and loose. I usually tend to do the latter, but enacting an actual game of BS might be interest--though less realistic as we can't see each others facial expressions while playing. :P))

TACarbuncle

Inkling Commander
NNID
TACarbuncle
(Sports)

Viola let out a big smile as she hopped on the spawn pad, weapon at the ready as her body changed to the color on the pad. She watched as everyone else got ready, waiting for a signal to start. As soon as she heard it, she ran forward, spraying her .52 Gal forward and doing quick hops in squid form to move faster.

As she got closer and closer to the other side, she soon spied Krys along the way. Turning past a nearby object, she popped out and attempted an ambush when Krys got close.

[ @lonelyrollingsquid Hopefully, that's good enough ^^; I'm not quite used to this style of determining a winner.]

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
(Games)

With cards dealt to her, Jennie quickly organized her hand. "Whoever has the 2 of clubs goes first," she piped up.

Okay, so she had noticed there was a certain air of uneasiness between the urchins. She wondered if she could start some kind of conversation --lighten the mood-- or if she'd be called out for trying to be distracting. Jennie tried anyway. "So..... if you were a superhero. What powers would you have...?"

((@ReedRGale & @Hesoca
play improv? :0 I think actually simulating a game is going to take, like, forever, but you could try. I was thinking you could tell us when we need to lie to put down cards through PM or something. Fast forward through putting down a bunch of cards))

Hesoca

Full Squid
[Games Club]
“Yeah, hold up,” Barrett muttered, fumbling through the cards in his hand with a small frown. Between Barb staring at him like he was a freak (I mean, she was doing that, right?) and Jennie earnestly trying to break the tension, things were going downhill fast. And all because he had decided not to nap through the rest of the period.

Then again, it wasn’t like he hadn’t had this kind of treatment before. There were… well, there were a lot of reasons why his presence might make someone uncomfortable. Most of them involved his brother in some way. But who really knew, right? For all he cared, the whole situation was unrelated to him personally.

“Got it.” With his usual grin, he pulled out a card from his hand and tossed it on the table. “One 2. You all can check it if ya really don’t trust me.”

Chuckling at his own comment, he glanced between the two players before stopping on Jennie. “You asked somethin’ about powers, yeah?” – and he paused, fiddling with the edge of his cap – “Yo, I’d take time control in a heartbeat. Or superspeed. Heck, might as well have all the powers ever. Beats havin' to settle on one thing, right?”

((@ReedRGale and @Aykorn: Improv is good with me! I agree with Aykorn’s idea, though; we could always just skip through a couple of turns to keep the game from running too slow. ))

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Games (Card):

Barb quietly laid down two threes, looking thoughtful. "Powers, huh? Well, all of them would defeat the point... destroys uniqueness." It was still probably his imagination but Barb seemed to be jabbing at Barrett.

She looked at both of them after saying that, then said quietly in her reaspy voice, "empathy. If I could have a power, it would be the ability to feel what others are feeling."

((@Aykorn and @Hesoca Awesome, I love improv much more than trying to follow hard rules. :p))

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
(Games: cards)

Jennie glanced and grinned, smoothly picking a card out of her hand and playing it. "One four," she said, and signaled with her fingers.

"I've heard the 'time-stopping' before. Lots." Jennie smirked while leaning back in her chair. "I don't why you'd need any other power for after that, 'cause what can't you do with all the time in the world? But," she tilted her head at Barb, "never heard the 'Empathy' one. What could make you want that?"

She clapped her hand over the top of her portion of the deck and switched the topic back to herself. "If I had powers, I'd control metal. Magnetism and polarity and stuff."

((Maybe to "skip" over turns, whoever wants to answer next says that whoever comes before them put down a card. like, I could say Barb put down whatever card she were supposed to and pick up responding at my turn. So fast forwarding kinda? @Hesoca @ReedRGale ))

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Book Club: @VeryButter

"That's what I think," James said. "They don't seem to be built particularly tough, so they must be smart to make up for it."

"They couldn't have been too smart..." Tlaloc muttered. When he noticed everyone was glaring at him, he said, "hey! If they were so smart, they would have been able to invent something to survive the floods. I mean, we've got submarines." He humphed before sinking further into his chair.

((Sorry I took so long to respond))

Hesoca

Full Squid
[Games Club - Cards]
"Yeah, but what if you want to do somethin' that you can't do with time control?" Barrett replied, attempting to defend himself, "Like... create a thing, or defy physics. Then you'd need some other powers, yeah? Havin' all the powers means ya can to whatever ya want, whenever ya want, however ya want to. The uniqueness," he added, with a grin Barb's way, "comes from how ya use it, not what it is."

Rifling through his hand, he threw two cards down on the table. "Two fives. Anyway, metalbending is legit. You'd have plenty to work with, considerin' all the ruins and junk scattered around here. Gonna be honest, though" - and he leaned back in his seat - "I dunno what you'd do with empathy. I mean, what's the point of feelin' what other people are feelin'?"

((OOC: @Aykorn & @ReedRGale - That'd be great, I think. We'd just need to know how many turns to fast-forward by. ))

lonelyrollingsquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Selfcat
(Sports)

Krys saw Viola from out of the corners of her eyes and instinctively slammed the button on her gun to activate her special.
She smirked as her opponents ink bounced off the bubbler and turned, firing at Viola. Krys watched gleefully as Viola was sent back to spawn and resumed covering the turf with ink.

((@TACarbuncle sorry for the late reply ))

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Games Club (Cards):

"Powers seem to be broken into two types," Barb responded, setting her cards down so she could hold up two fingers for emphasis. "Those that affect the world and those that affect other people. Physical and emotional. Omnipotence doesn't count. I always found the latter of which more interesting, though probably less useful."

Picking back up her cards, she looked over to Barrett and said, "BS" dryly.

((@Aykorn and @Hesoca There we go!

@lonelyrollingsquid Please pick another person to engage.))

Hesoca

Full Squid
[Games Club - Cards]

"...Tch."

With a sneer, Barrett flipped over his two cards. One five... and an ace. Not even close to being the right set.

"Yeah, okay." Grumbling, he shuffled the pile into his hand. "Callin' me out. I see how it is." Despite all his mutterings, though, he seemed relieved to be called out early on, while the pile was short.

"Alright, then," He glanced around the table, "My turn to ask a question. How about... what's the worst thing someone's given to you as a gift? Any occasion counts."

((@ReedRGale and @Aykorn - Responded! ))

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
After Barb put down her card, Jennie started glancing over her own hand. "One seven," she chirped, sliding the card in.

What an interesting question. Jennie tapped her mouth with her dogtags to think. "Awful gifts? Hm." She didn't exactly get horrible gifts all the time but surely something stood out...

"Augh. Yes, that's the one." Jennie put a hand over her horrified expression.
"One of my grandparents thought to get me a coin bank. For my birthday? Which I have absolutely no need for because if I wanted to just throw coins in a container and never look at them, I would."

She placed both hands on the table. "But this bank was freaky. It had super beady eyes, and blobby, creepy as shell face. Polly decided she was never coming into my room again unless she couldn't smash it herself."

((@ReedRGale @Hesoca ))

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
(Music)
Parzival looked around, extremely bored. "Why can't something happen already? Why can't Pause text me? And what the heck is the teacher doing?' All these thoughts were going through his head before everything went black as he fell asleep.

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
(Music)
Kei's head spun around the room,only to find Parzival succumbing to sleep. She tried to poke him.... No help...
She carefully came closer... Then waved a jelly-like strand over his face.
"If you don't wake up.. I'll sting you!" She lightly teased.
((I stopped receiving alerts, sorry for not replying for sometime!))

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
In Parzival's dream, he was underwater. His first thoughts were 'Holy carp, I'm gonna die! We're not meant to be in water!' He started hyperventilating, and then he calmed himself down. He attempted to look at himself, he had incredibly long tentacles and humongous eyes. He heard a voice "We caught 'im!" and the reply "Reel him in! We're gonna be rich!" Parzival found himself tangled up in a bunch of string and felt himself being pulled up. He tried to yell but all that came out was black ink. He tried to escape, but it was no use. He found himself on a boat, with humanoid creatures staring at him. When he tried to breath, his lungs burned. "I'm sorry big guy, but we have to say goodbye" said one of the humanoids right before stabbing a knife into himself. "Godspeed, Parzival!" he said. Parzival some how became an Inkling again and did everything is his power to save the man, whose face was becoming more and more like his father's with every compression. He was alone. Nobody would save him now. He saw all sorts of images flashing, including Octarians, BigFin, and his father. Then he woke up. "It was all just a dream... Just a dream." Parzival muttered to himself. It all felt so real, as if someone was telling something. Parzival shook it off and continued to pay attention the best he could, with the images flashing through his mind, trying to interpret the dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom