Animal Crossing Social Thread

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Never been part of the Animal Crossing or New Leaf communities to know their activities. The few times I have been online with the game all these years I RARELY meet another person.

I believe amiibo compatibility will be for both the statues and cards. Will have to upgrade from the 3DS I've had for four or five years that's more noticeably showing its long used wear-and-tear, suffered but survived multiple causes of water damage, and has a few personality kinks.

Just wish the NA new 3DS XL possessed more color options.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Never been part of the Animal Crossing or New Leaf communities to know their activities. The few times I have been online with the game all these years I RARELY meet another person.

I believe amiibo compatibility will be for both the statues and cards. Will have to upgrade from the 3DS I've had for four or five years that's more noticeably showing its long used wear-and-tear, suffered but survived multiple causes of water damage, and has a few personality kinks.

There's always cute cases you can put on it!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
There's always cute cases you can put on it!
True true. And I've always thought about painting my handhelds, non-spraypaint/airbrush style. Especially since I'm giving up hope that we'll have anything to choose beyond black or red...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

There is, or was, a vast economy built around buying and selling villagers. The absolute rarest and most popular villagers would sell for millions upon millions of bells. People would dedicate huge swaths of time to this. And now you can just get the card of a villager you want, use it, and they move in. Amazing.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Dessgeega , Ah~ now I get it. Yeah, that can wreck havoc on a sweet arrangement. Especially since I've seen prices on those Animal Crossing amiibo statues and cards get slashed pretty fiercely from time to time. It's like the stores can't get rid of them!

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
My roommate picked up AmiiboFest in an attempt to provide something we could both play when she got her woo last year, and I have to agree that particular game falls real flat after the first playthrough. Yeah you can add characters via amiibo or cards, but it's still the same game every time you play. A little on the yawn side for what's supposed to be a group activity

...though I do imagine it's better with more people and probably a certain level of inebriation...

HHD, however, has been fun, aside from the fact it makes me salty having access to items in that game I haven't got yet in NL :'D

Now if they could combine Animal Crossing and TomoLife somehow, I'd be in a new kind of sim heaven.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Oh, hey, a thread for one of my favorite game series ever. No, really, AC is rad.

I know the brief yet burning Amiibo Festival discussion has waned, but I'd like to throw my thoughts about that title somewhere appropriate before discussing the more recent news with everyone here. Long post below.

Amiibo Festival only existed to fill a spot in Nintendo's Wii U library, like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. It's really unfortunate. I have to agree that it's definitely evident in the game, specifically through a number of nuances I noticed in the Board Game. I have not unlocked all the mini games yet (I believe I've yet to unlock the Card Battle game...) nor have I actually played the other ones extensively, so I'm just gonna go off on the board game only.

I strongly believe Animal Crossing, other than Mario, is a very suitable series to use as a foundation for a board game, as well as other sorts of genres, since Animal Crossing's premise is doing whatever you want; a lot of the "objectives" in Animal Crossing can be fleshed out into their own little things. It works imo. I'm not so much annoyed at Amiibo Festival for not being another traditional entry as much as I am that they failed to push the game to its full potential. This actually could have been my favorite party game ever but well I mean, whatever. Anyway, a huge trend I notice in the Board Game is "wow, this is a cool idea, but it's not enough of it"; for example, placing Public Works Projects in the board game? That's freaking awesome. Making your own boards is really cool. But here's a better idea; how about using our own towns as boards? Maybe that's too ambitious, so how about something basic, something so basic, I'm surprised it's not the case; there are only a set number of properties you can place PWPs on. I find that absurd. Granted, I don't like how tedious New Leaf's PWP placement process is ("you cannot place a street lamp here as there is a river about 20 miles away from us, if I'm going to exaggerate), but at least that gives you reasonable freedom. Here, it's clear a small amount of different layouts can be achieved with placing PWPs on the board. If the player was given a lot more freedom towards customizing the board, this could've had many players spending countless hours making their own personalized town.

Also, people complain that you have to constantly place amiibos on the gamepad each turn. I actually find that to be ok, because the concept is supposed to directly emulate a board game. One may ask, "why not buy an IRL board game then"; good question, but I just see this game as a typical board game, just in a different coat of paint, so I'm okay with playing it as such. What is not okay is what something someone mentioned a while ago; guest players can use the gamepad's buttons. The amiibo placement on the gamepad is fine, but it contradicts the guest player's means of playing the game. The fact that someone has to grab what is essentially the board itself every time it's their turn is quite jarring and awkward. "But wait, not everyone will have an amiibo" Then honestly, not because of how "awkward" the amiibo placement is, but because of how guests will play the game, they should not have made it so that amiibos are how you roll the die. Speaking of guest players, only guests can play as villagers. Even worse, the villagers are all preset with default outfits. Even more worse, the Villager amiibo himself doesn't do anything!!! THAT IS PROBABLY MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE GAME. Oh, sorry, it does do something, it makes a gold statue of villager in the town plaza... ok....

I have a whole lot more to say, like, a giant mountain of things to say, both good and bad. But I'm really tired. I just want to throw this out there; what makes me more frustrated than the game itself is a lot of people thinking "of course it was going to suck," "I knew it," "it was inevitable," etc. No, you didn't know. Perhaps these types of games aren't for everyone, but several people were hellbent on hating this game day 1, simply for what it is. I mean, if you go "this game looks bad because it's a board game" and then someone goes ahead and says "yeah, it's a bad game because of -blank-, -blank-, and -blank-" specific issues, then you just can't say "I knew it", because no, YouTube comment section demons, you chose to close your ears as soon as this wasn't shown to be New Leaf HD. I love it when series branch out or just change into different experiences. What comes after doesn't necessarily ruin the preceding game (i.e. Paper Mario -blank- vs.... idk, Thousand Year Door?). What I can't stand is when these new experiences I'm so excited for end up being less than amazing, in this case, being mediocre at best, leading to people going "yes, i was right, because it was different". I will continue to love the games I already love and show disdain for the games that have disappointed me, but it will always be based on how well the game was doing its job, versus simply for what it is. I do want an AC Amiibo Festival 2; I see this game as an actual Animal Crossing game, just not a great one by any means. I refuse to believe a good Animal Crossing party game is impossible to make.

That being said, I'm definitely hyped for the fall update. I can't wait until I see what new features will grace the town of Bergamot.

G

girigiriHERO

There is, or was, a vast economy built around buying and selling villagers. The absolute rarest and most popular villagers would sell for millions upon millions of bells. People would dedicate huge swaths of time to this. And now you can just get the card of a villager you want, use it, and they move in. Amazing.
I bought AC:NL in June 2013 and stopped playing in May 2014. I didn't realize an economy exists in this game because I had no problem duping bells by using the local multiplayer exploit where you dump a whole inventory of crowns on the ground, leave and turn off the wireless while leaving. I have 4 houses, all full of Gracie's furniture, got all the yearly event furniture, I even traded online and got the 7-11, Sloppy, and whatever other ones exist out there. Only thing I didn't do was finish my fishing collection (fossils and bugs are easy). Game is good for about a year, which is the same amount of time I spent on the NGC and NDS versions.

HHD is boring in my opinion, but I wanted a NN3DS so I got the bundle with it.

amiibo Festival...I'm inclined to agree with everyone. I bought it and series 1 and 2 of the AC amiibo, and I have an entire set of series 1 cards, but I'm pretty much done with amiibo. I have a full set of SSB minus DLC and Mii characters, all SMB including 30th Anniv.,and YWW minus MYY, and thankfully since I was with it since day one I've never had to buy one from a scalper, of course the wave 3 exclusives I imported from Japan to save myself the stress.

word of advice, if you want to get in to the cards, buy a box from Japan because as far as I've heard one box will give you the entire set, unlike North America where Nintendo likes to jerk around with us.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I suppose this is the right place to post it, but I really wish I could rename my mayor in my main town (a downloaded game, and I have far too much stuff to reset). The original name of the mayor isn't really my preference anymore, but I feel like you have to hack the game in order to change it. Ah well, I suppose.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I suppose this is the right place to post it, but I really wish I could rename my mayor in my main town (a downloaded game, and I have far too much stuff to reset). The original name of the mayor isn't really my preference anymore, but I feel like you have to hack the game in order to change it. Ah well, I suppose.
Unfortunately, other than hacking the other two means are very convoluted. One is having a friend to funnel all your stuff two who can then give it back to you once you reset. And the other is having a second 3DS and second copy of the game so you can move your alt to a new town on that second copy, after funneling all your stuff to it.

So bothersome.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Unfortunately, other than hacking the other two means are very convoluted. One is having a friend to funnel all your stuff two who can then give it back to you once you reset. And the other is having a second 3DS and second copy of the game so you can move your alt to a new town on that second copy, after funneling all your stuff to it.

So bothersome.
Oh geez that blows...
I guess I can deal with it tbh. I can just think of the mayor as an "oc" and make an alt that feels more like "me".
It's probably gonna be more interesting to see myself as a resident with an oc managing, probably... but all the slots (I have to keep one open for plot resetting) are taken by duds that i keep extra stuff on.

So that basically just leaves my second cartridge which I don't mind- I just say that's really my "for fun" town! I use cheats and stuff on it... (i.e. i have a powersaves action replay device, so I added inf. bells and i'm getting sets through it. It's not that i'm lazy... I swear!)

G

girigiriHERO

I just used my real name for my character for that reason

G

girigiriHERO

That's be what I would do if I actually liked my real name at all.
It's gonna be with you for a long time, so you better get used to it. There is really no reason to not like your name...unless it's like Turd Furguson.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I'm the mayor of my NL town... and the me from the WW town is my stuff-hoarding alt right now. I have enough nicknames I could probably add two or three more of "myself", considering the amount of stuff you can collect now is considerably more...

..on that note I do like that NL lets you have multiples of real players as residents, as opposed to the roommate system from WW. Helps keep the town population in check in regards to zoning =p

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
It's gonna be with you for a long time, so you better get used to it. There is really no reason to not like your name...unless it's like Turd Furguson.
Well it doesnt have to be, really...theres no need to be so harsh about it , aha

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It's possible to legally change your name.
Anyways, it's also entirely possible to hate your legal name for any reason.
It could be associated with bad memories. It could be something people constantly pick on you for.

It's kinda impolite to just tell people to get over it.
Sorry, I really just don't like when people insist things like that when everyone has their own reasons to like or dislike personal things :\

G

girigiriHERO

It's possible to legally change your name.
Anyways, it's also entirely possible to hate your legal name for any reason.
It could be associated with bad memories. It could be something people constantly pick on you for.

It's kinda impolite to just tell people to get over it.
Sorry, I really just don't like when people insist things like that when everyone has their own reasons to like or dislike personal things :\
Well if you're gonna legally change it you just have to wait until you're 18 I believe, unless your parents agree to change it, so you just have to cope until then.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
You realise in their profile they are over 20, right?
anyway, to contribute to the topic, I have two acnl copies (simply cause an ex friend gave me his years ago) and HHD given to me by a friend
I emulated the DS version a while back (wild world, was it?) which was pretty fun even if emulating on my computers really sucks.
though my first copy of acnl I kinda...dont play it as much? so its a bit of a bamboo jungle, but im extremely proud of my cafe-house.
its really all I ever wanted to make in that game (along with a doctors office- which I have in a side player house)
the second copy is just when I tried to make a fancy town with organized flowers and décor

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Well if you're gonna legally change it you just have to wait until you're 18 I believe, unless your parents agree to change it, so you just have to cope until then.
I'm 22. Really the only thing keeping me from legally changing my name since it makes me uncomfortable is just the fact I don't have the money for it yet.
So, really, you have to wait for it until then. It's entirely possible to get the game before you are 18+ and then come back to it realizing you don't want that name anymore for a variety of reasons (it could be anything, seriously), but you have too much to restart your save file.

That's basically what I was complaining about, and ultimately why I thought it would have been a good idea for them to include that feature.
Either that, or at least make it possible for you to change what the villagers call you on demand instead of waiting for them all to come up to you asking what you want to be called. Nicknames come and go faster than your choice of a legal name (which is more often than not... not your choice at all. It's perfectly logical to want to be named something you feel more comfortable with. It's just nice there's some way to change it.), after all. (I.e. my name that i'm changing to as soon as I get the money is Luna, but my nicknames are based off of the game character my username is of- Maho, Mahoroa, and Magolor.)

Sorry if anything I said was confusing.
Name-related nonsense just isn't really my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom