Are rollers less used these days?

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
True, though in the claustrophobic arenas of ranked, I'm seeing a lot of decos. I tried it, and it's still not for me. But some people make them work very well.
I still haven't really dug into Carbon Deco. Was mostly training up on chargers or experimenting with other weapons after reading stuff on r/Splatoon haha. I'm sure I can come up with some stuff for the Carbon Deco in time :D

The trouble I have with it is keeping a sane k/d. It's so easy to go so negative with them (in RM) and to get far too many trades than I'm comfortable with. Though I do realize part of it is the nature of the weapon. And few things are as good at shutting down an RM carrier as an octo. I love inkbrush too. Its hit & run mobility is useful. But it ends up in far too many unfavorable positions and seems to be too map dependent.
What's a sane K/D by your definition though? Splatoon isn't a game where going 10-0 is mandatory IMO. You have to think from your opponent's POV too. Many times I opt to be the scary berserker who gets in close and causes havoc and often trades. Basically creating an atmosphere of fear. Obviously it helps if you have Kraken ready and use it at the right times in rushes. But yea, from our discussions I've gathered you tend to be more defensive-oriented :)

Yeah, hopefully that'll work out well. It's ridiculous the amount of awful pairings you get. Dynamo vs. Dynamo won't be solved though...I'm sure same weapon vs same weapon is perfectly valid. And in Zones I ALWAYS get dynamo v dynamo (v dynamo) :D
I haven't played enough of 2.6.0 to say if the update has improved matchmaking or not...

Only trouble is map dependence. Maps like mackerel, hammerhead, to a degree anchov have dynamo issues. Anchov I still take dynamo. The other two, it's not really worth it to me. It's too hard to make use of the fling in these places.
I can definitely see why. For Mackerel it's obvious due to a lack of large open areas. For Ancho-V and Hammerhead though, I'd stick to being a Dynamo 'shark' in the lower sections more, occasionally getting back to higher ground for better flinging spread. Being a shark by my definition is basically...turfing more of the lower section so I can swim in it easily and splat hapless enemies who drop in. A Dynamo should be plenty capable of splatting upwards at squids on the grate too so the only real issues would be those who take refuge on the little 'raised islands' and chargers...but even then charger generally have a harder time on this map, I think you know what I'm talking about :D Best Dynamo for this map in TW at least would be the regular thanks to sprinklers.

Then again, with the new sub saver buffs it's actually possible to throw 2 splat bombs from a full tank (3 main sub savers).

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Lmao I was once playing TC and I had a S ranked person in my team...he had the krak-on roller(he was clearly trying lol) and he only rolled...seeing rollers like that makes me gringe..HOW DOES A S PLAYER PLAY LIKE THAT WTF. Also how did the enemy team not notice you?? xD
Well, in my personal experience playing with a regular group of Japanese friends...my rank was mostly A- in that period (I was attempting to rank down, not by purposely losing games, just using harder weapons, to experience the B-rank hell people kept talking about) and I could frequently beat out the S and occasionaly S+ players in the group.

Ranks are ultimately just a label and cause this is a team game, some people do actually make it to S (lesser to S+) with a fair bit of luck.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Welcome back. I've been between A+ & A 3 times in a week (twice in an hour) and A- once. Such is Splatoon. :rolleyes: Thankfully with the 2.6 patch you should not be facing S/S+ in your A/A+ matches anymore at ALL. My guess is that S was just being a troll sabotaging the "lowly A+'s" he was playing. Which I'll never understand, and it harms his score too. It's also possible he was carried to S (or A+99 and then got lucky in solo) by someone or by save scumming and is really solid B- material. I've had matches with the advantaged team with 2 S's on my team who performed HORRENDOUSLY. I don't look down upon deeply negative k/d's as sometimes that's what it takes to win. I do look down upon S's in an A+ lobby with deeply negative k/ds who were on the massively losing team :D
There are so many things wrong with the ranked system (but I just can`t put my finger on it) Yes I have a lot of respect towards people who made it to S+ by themselves. But a S player should never look down on A/A+ players and ruin their day or destroy their winstreak because "A ranked people should never be taken seriously" There are people like ZackScott over there that got carried to S rank yet play even worse than me. Meanwhile players that have talent never get the chance to get to S rank

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I still haven't really dug into Carbon Deco. Was mostly training up on chargers or experimenting with other weapons after reading stuff on r/Splatoon haha. I'm sure I can come up with some stuff for the Carbon Deco in time :D
It's definitely powerful, but it's also very map dependent. Any map where elevation plays an important role is going to really struggle with a seeker dependent weapon.

What's a sane K/D by your definition though? Splatoon isn't a game where going 10-0 is mandatory IMO. You have to think from your opponent's POV too. Many times I opt to be the scary berserker who gets in close and causes havoc and often trades. Basically creating an atmosphere of fear. Obviously it helps if you have Kraken ready and use it at the right times in rushes. But yea, from our discussions I've gathered you tend to be more defensive-oriented :)
That's the million snail question. There's no real answer. I've seen plenty of times, particularly with ranked where the team with all good double digit kills, single digit deaths loses, and the team with single digit kills and double digit deaths wins. It goes contrary to conventional splatoon wisdom that "the best way to control the objective is to splat opponents and keep them respawning." Apparently that does NOT secure victory in many, many cases. Sometimes constantly respawning seem to be the team more able to press, though on paper it doesn't seem likely.

Playing chargers, and playing TW a lot, I think got me accustomed to "stay alive at all costs" play, where a negative KD tends to be failure oriented. But even among brush users, even those at S/S+ there's two different play style metas. Some will go parity or negative, and that's brought them to S/S+. Some will go full stealth and stay very positive in k/d, and that brought them to S/S+ There's no definite answer.

I credit myself a lot in some TW rounds when I started maining carbon. I had a modest K but a low D. I wasn't the 18/10 monster on the team with a TTK, it was like 7/4. But I had the lowest deaths on the team. That in itself isn't a guarantee of victory. What made it victory was that I NEVER LEFT THE ZONES and still almost never died. I was constant pressure. With the brush, I'm going 12/12, 9/14..... that's a lot of deaths. On paper that means I'm doing poorly. But is it really? I'm currently running Comeback on it - the new buffed one. Every time I get splatted it gives me a temporary buff, and a fast charging meter. Getting splatted can be GOOD here :)

So where does good k/d land?

I'm also playing around with sploosh in TW.....being the harasser. Mixed results, but it's adrenaline pumping fun sometimes :) I'm all over and in their faces all the time, just being a total jerk. I get squidbagged a lot. By Japanese players. I must be doing something right :D Even though I have negative k/d. I'm really testing it's viability for RM for maps that are less octobrush friendly and testing base raid strategies (not keen on that gameplay otherwise, but that's pretty much Sploosh's entire function. )

I haven't played enough of 2.6.0 to say if the update has improved matchmaking or not...
As soon as I saw the 2.6 patch notes I immediately thought of you: :ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon: ;)

I've been playing mostly squads and TW, only about 6 rounds in matchmaking so far. I've heard the weapon sorting is definitely improved. And of course it only picks from within your rank trio now (and S alone, S+ alone.)

I can definitely see why. For Mackerel it's obvious due to a lack of large open areas. For Ancho-V and Hammerhead though, I'd stick to being a Dynamo 'shark' in the lower sections more, occasionally getting back to higher ground for better flinging spread. Being a shark by my definition is basically...turfing more of the lower section so I can swim in it easily and splat hapless enemies who drop in. A Dynamo should be plenty capable of splatting upwards at squids on the grate too so the only real issues would be those who take refuge on the little 'raised islands' and chargers...but even then charger generally have a harder time on this map, I think you know what I'm talking about :D Best Dynamo for this map in TW at least would be the regular thanks to sprinklers.
Yeah, "shark" is my main dynamo play style (all rollers, really.) Hammerhead....it's hard to utilize "shark" play effectively with all the overhead attacks and dynamo's slow response to it. If they hide in the little fortresses it's so hard to recover from the swing and low mobility. I'm most likely to play dynamo in Zones, so keep in mind that single huge zone on lower mid and everyone setting up to attack you from above. And the very limited periphery to play shark in without ending up on the zone itself. There's no really good place to fling from safety where you won't splat on the zone. Eliter, by contrast can actually paint the whole zone in a few shots all from safety :) But it's still dangerous.

I swear I'm the only one who loves hammerhead for TW eliter. Most snipers seem to hate it. I think with custom it's one of the best maps to SJ around and shoot from cover :D For me Flounder and underpass are the awful ones.

AnchoV again, in zones, it's REALLY difficult to find a place to shark. You can't fling from above due to the signage blocking your fling from most angles, and you can't fling from the side window due to the propeller lift blocking the view. That leaves playing shark in the two corner areas behind and around the lifts. But it's also a vulnerable location difficult to consistently defend. I generally DO play dynamo still there. But I'm also a lot more likely to lose. If the enemy's focused on the zone I can carve out an area back there. If they focus squarely on me, it's impossible to dig in anywhere.

There are so many things wrong with the ranked system (but I just can`t put my finger on it) Yes I have a lot of respect towards people who made it to S+ by themselves. But a S player should never look down on A/A+ players and ruin their day or destroy their winstreak because "A ranked people should never be taken seriously" There are people like ZackScott over there that got carried to S rank yet play even worse than me. Meanwhile players that have talent never get the chance to get to S rank
Yeah, we've had tons of threads trying to put a finger on it. Weapon matching and matching different ranks together was a huge problem, that theoretically is solved in 2.6 finally. But there's still too big a mix of skills. Keep in mind A-, A, A+ are all EXACTLY the same. B and B+ are both EXACTLY the same. All 3 A's are matched together randomly. All 3 B's are matched together randomly. B through A+ all gets +10/-10 win/loss, B- is a little different. There actually is no difference at all between any of the A's.

But I can't figure out WHICH A is the real A. The skill level in A seems to change instantaneously. I believe a big part of this is the large number of alts these days. I've seen these patterns where, like on Sunday, A was mostly playing truly at S/S+ level. it was brutal, and I lost many many games. I generally had very competent teams. They could defend, they could play the game, they could push. We often defended an early lead. But the other team would always turn it around, have a massive push which we could not resist. It wasn't their wins, it was how they played that gave them away as alts. I believe my team was solid A+ material, and I believe some of them were S alts, but for some reason the other team seemed to be S+ alt equipped more times than not. S+'s generally just move differently than even S's. They have different tactics they use and move much faster overall. An S+ is generally easy to tell based on movement. These were interesting "level 16" and "level 22' A- and Aflat players that had the moveset of an S+ .

On the other hand, the past two nights, though I haven't played too many solo rounds, it's back to what I normally think of the A's being. Decent, competent opponents who don't move like greased lightening, and a team that can not push to save their lives. So which A is the real A? The one that has difficulty pushing and plays competent team deathmatch but forgets there's an objective to push, or the well oiled semi-pro domination force of Sunday? It's the same rank playing like two very different ranks.

And that's why you can't really take the ranks very seriously. The ranks don't even take themselves very seriously. Alts are a problem in every game, and there's little the game can do about it. It doesn't know it's not another person. They could require real registration from paid email accounts, but that's about all they could do. There's a LOT that's wrong with Splatoon's ladder, I've discussed at length in other threads (a floating ladder versus a progressive ladder is generally always a bad idea, and especially from a Western perspective where we view it as a progressive ladder by instinct when it's not.) Personally I went from S to B6 and then since have bounced around from A+ to B+ constantly. Last weekend I went between A and A+ 3 times (twice in an hour) and finally down to A- and am currently back in Mid-A after being one game from A- again. But I play the bad rotations on my main account (I don't have alts), I don't "quit after losing 3" etc, etc. I just play :)

The real problem with the ranks, aside from things like alts and the Jeckyll & Hyde two faced skill level of a given rank, is that the ranks are too small. The bonus/penalty points (30p) means that each rank is only 70p. If wins/losses are 8-12p per you can end up upranked or downranked in 6-7 games. It's FAR too transient. You spend little time in a given rank. And any subtle streak sends you spiraling one way or the other. As a result, we all tend to view our rank as "this is our skill level in playing Splatoon" - but it's not a progressive ladder. You haven't EARNED a specific tier. It mostly just reflects reflects your last 30 rounds of playing. So for frequent Splatoon players your rank is really just your rank over the last 24-48 hours, not your overall play. Which is, in all honestly, still completely broken even with 2.6. Add in the fact that it's much easier to go down than up (going up requires playing your best and having a team that can play similarly well, and opponents who are not above your skill. Going down requires any of the above 3 to go wrong.) It's really just going to be a mess. If I were to design the games ladder....it wouldn't work like this ;)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Erm, I'm curious...how do they ruin their day or destroy their winstreak? I assume you mean the S players purposely play poorly when put into a team of A/A+ players??

Also Miirisa, strong players will naturally float up the ranks. Unless their luck is so bad where they keep having disconnections on their team and basically always put into unwinnable situations but assuming everything else is normal, these players will always rise up to the top. Splatoon is ultimately still a game of skill, trust me on that :)

And just to repeat, the ranks are just labels in the end. I wouldn't be surprised to see some S+ players always losing to certain other S+ players. Personal skill is something you have to be conscious of and keep working on, don't pay too much attention to the system.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
It's definitely powerful, but it's also very map dependent. Any map where elevation plays an important role is going to really struggle with a seeker dependent weapon.
Yea that's the natural conclusion to arrive at, I'd still like to see if I can come up with good ideas though! :D

That's the million snail question. There's no real answer. I've seen plenty of times, particularly with ranked where the team with all good double digit kills, single digit deaths loses, and the team with single digit kills and double digit deaths wins. It goes contrary to conventional splatoon wisdom that "the best way to control the objective is to splat opponents and keep them respawning." Apparently that does NOT secure victory in many, many cases. Sometimes constantly respawning seem to be the team more able to press, though on paper it doesn't seem likely.
Oh man, you copped out! I asked you for your definition so it's not a million snail question :P I'm sure you have your own quotas or expectations of others based on ranks and weapons.

Playing chargers, and playing TW a lot, I think got me accustomed to "stay alive at all costs" play, where a negative KD tends to be failure oriented. But even among brush users, even those at S/S+ there's two different play style metas. Some will go parity or negative, and that's brought them to S/S+. Some will go full stealth and stay very positive in k/d, and that brought them to S/S+ There's no definite answer.
Personally I try not to count K/D in terms of ratio. I believe you've had games where you got quite a lot of kills as a charger early in the round (when enemy ink isn't everywhere yet) and towards the last third of the match where they start rushing in with specials and such is when you might not get any kills at all.

Also I remember someone making a good point on reddit where they said sometimes a player has many deaths in ranked not because they were noobs but because they made many sacrifices to keep the play on your side. An easy example is if you spot one lone squid coming to ambush your rainmaker, do you let the rainmaker die or do you attempt to kill or trade with the assassin?

I credit myself a lot in some TW rounds when I started maining carbon. I had a modest K but a low D. I wasn't the 18/10 monster on the team with a TTK, it was like 7/4. But I had the lowest deaths on the team. That in itself isn't a guarantee of victory. What made it victory was that I NEVER LEFT THE ZONES and still almost never died. I was constant pressure. With the brush, I'm going 12/12, 9/14..... that's a lot of deaths. On paper that means I'm doing poorly. But is it really? I'm currently running Comeback on it - the new buffed one. Every time I get splatted it gives me a temporary buff, and a fast charging meter. Getting splatted can be GOOD here :)
Honestly in TW for anyone to get a kill score of something like 18 it requires the enemy team to be composed of either party squids or just kids. That's before you even factor in the time spent respawning for dying 10x :D

I think it's more important to record the consistency of your victories. There was a period where I played with this group of Japanese friends every night and as is the case in TW, members would get switched up every match. I'd know I'm doing well if my team was the one that won most of the time, regardless of which members were on my team. Try keeping a score and victory record of every match. In my case because I record all my matches (occasionally I fail to record it because my device messes up ugh), my results are there all the time :)

So where does good k/d land?
It's in the match where you win :D

I'm also playing around with sploosh in TW.....being the harasser. Mixed results, but it's adrenaline pumping fun sometimes :) I'm all over and in their faces all the time, just being a total jerk. I get squidbagged a lot. By Japanese players. I must be doing something right :D Even though I have negative k/d. I'm really testing it's viability for RM for maps that are less octobrush friendly and testing base raid strategies (not keen on that gameplay otherwise, but that's pretty much Sploosh's entire function. )
Sploosh is definitely an annoying weapon. I'm lazy to elaborate for now but having played with plenty of good sploosh players, I stand by my verdict. :)

As soon as I saw the 2.6 patch notes I immediately thought of you: :ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon: ;)
Heh someone else was making a case for it on reddit the other day. I just chip it here and there to offer advice or little video clips.

I've been playing mostly squads and TW, only about 6 rounds in matchmaking so far. I've heard the weapon sorting is definitely improved. And of course it only picks from within your rank trio now (and S alone, S+ alone.)
I actually haven't been playing much yesterday or today...been busy replying to messages regarding Splatoon -_-

Yeah, "shark" is my main dynamo play style (all rollers, really.) Hammerhead....it's hard to utilize "shark" play effectively with all the overhead attacks and dynamo's slow response to it. If they hide in the little fortresses it's so hard to recover from the swing and low mobility. I'm most likely to play dynamo in Zones, so keep in mind that single huge zone on lower mid and everyone setting up to attack you from above. And the very limited periphery to play shark in without ending up on the zone itself. There's no really good place to fling from safety where you won't splat on the zone. Eliter, by contrast can actually paint the whole zone in a few shots all from safety :) But it's still dangerous.
Hmm, I'll have to play some Dynamo more on those maps and hopefully provide you with some videos then!

I swear I'm the only one who loves hammerhead for TW eliter. Most snipers seem to hate it. I think with custom it's one of the best maps to SJ around and shoot from cover :D For me Flounder and underpass are the awful ones.
I don't hate Hammerhead as an E-Liter, just noting that it has difficulties. Flounder is possibly the worst E-Liter map. I actually like Underpass, although it's definitely hell if the enemy has the right members to keep rushing in to harass you and your team mates don't understand the importance of helping you ink from the base outwards again...

AnchoV again, in zones, it's REALLY difficult to find a place to shark. You can't fling from above due to the signage blocking your fling from most angles, and you can't fling from the side window due to the propeller lift blocking the view. That leaves playing shark in the two corner areas behind and around the lifts. But it's also a vulnerable location difficult to consistently defend. I generally DO play dynamo still there. But I'm also a lot more likely to lose. If the enemy's focused on the zone I can carve out an area back there. If they focus squarely on me, it's impossible to dig in anywhere.
Haven't really played ranked much (recently just Slosher in SZ in 2.5.0) but for now I'll just say if you're being focused on then your job as a Dynamo at that time is to be as much of a distraction as possible...I know that wasn't part of the jobscope but a squid's gotta do what a squid's gotta do! :D

Yeah, we've had tons of threads trying to put a finger on it. Weapon matching and matching different ranks together was a huge problem, that theoretically is solved in 2.6 finally. But there's still too big a mix of skills. Keep in mind A-, A, A+ are all EXACTLY the same. B and B+ are both EXACTLY the same. All 3 A's are matched together randomly. All 3 B's are matched together randomly. B through A+ all gets +10/-10 win/loss, B- is a little different. There actually is no difference at all between any of the A's.

And that's why you can't really take the ranks very seriously. The ranks don't even take themselves very seriously. Alts are a problem in every game, and there's little the game can do about it. It doesn't know it's not another person. They could require real registration from paid email accounts, but that's about all they could do. There's a LOT that's wrong with Splatoon's ladder, I've discussed at length in other threads (a floating ladder versus a progressive ladder is generally always a bad idea, and especially from a Western perspective where we view it as a progressive ladder by instinct when it's not.) Personally I went from S to B6 and then since have bounced around from A+ to B+ constantly. Last weekend I went between A and A+ 3 times (twice in an hour) and finally down to A- and am currently back in Mid-A after being one game from A- again. But I play the bad rotations on my main account (I don't have alts), I don't "quit after losing 3" etc, etc. I just play :)
Anecdotal but whilst trying out a Slosher build (no damage ups) in SZ on Saltspray and Walleye I actually went from A-96 to A+44 or so. I wasn't even thinking of ranking up, I just played as best as I could, thankfully members were all competent. Personally I wish there was an easy way to reset rank or something, I really want to go experience the new B hell without purposely losing in ranked (which is not really nice for my team mates mainly)

The real problem with the ranks, aside from things like alts and the Jeckyll & Hyde two faced skill level of a given rank, is that the ranks are too small. The bonus/penalty points (30p) means that each rank is only 70p. If wins/losses are 8-12p per you can end up upranked or downranked in 6-7 games. It's FAR too transient. You spend little time in a given rank. And any subtle streak sends you spiraling one way or the other. As a result, we all tend to view our rank as "this is our skill level in playing Splatoon" - but it's not a progressive ladder. You haven't EARNED a specific tier. It mostly just reflects reflects your last 30 rounds of playing. So for frequent Splatoon players your rank is really just your rank over the last 24-48 hours, not your overall play. Which is, in all honestly, still completely broken even with 2.6. Add in the fact that it's much easier to go down than up (going up requires playing your best and having a team that can play similarly well, and opponents who are not above your skill. Going down requires any of the above 3 to go wrong.) It's really just going to be a mess. If I were to design the games ladder....it wouldn't work like this ;)
The 30p buffer is really just there to ease frustration and also increase tension. Imagine if you ranked up to A+1 and lost the next game, you'd see that message and get kicked out of your current lobby (which you might wanna stick around in). The losing buffer gives more tension when you're 1-2 losses away from ranking down.

Haven't really thought much else about ranked but things I think they could add are a ladder system, manual ranking resets (might not necessarily be a good idea) and individual ranks per weapon so that people don't see me as an A+ E-Liter who's still fresh from TW practice and expect me to be Hawkeye.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Erm, I'm curious...how do they ruin their day or destroy their winstreak? I assume you mean the S players purposely play poorly when put into a team of A/A+ players??

Also Miirisa, strong players will naturally float up the ranks. Unless their luck is so bad where they keep having disconnections on their team and basically always put into unwinnable situations but assuming everything else is normal, these players will always rise up to the top. Splatoon is ultimately still a game of skill, trust me on that :)

And just to repeat, the ranks are just labels in the end. I wouldn't be surprised to see some S+ players always losing to certain other S+ players. Personal skill is something you have to be conscious of and keep working on, don't pay too much attention to the system.
Yes I mean S players who play poorly because I always seem to get matched up with them. And yes I know that ranks are just labels, but I somehow feel humiliated being a level 50 who has 100000 inked with my choice of weapon yet I still can`t keep my A+ rank. Meanwhile there are lvl 30 who are S+ and that just makes me feel like a total noob xD I quess some players are simply better than others :D

Award

At the risk of being redundant on some other threads - I'll say simply that it's not always true that strong players float up the ranks. The STRONGEST players, the highest dominant S+ players certainly will. These are the players who are keen to point out that if you just carry your teams you'll make it up while ignoring that in a team game that's team scored, you shouldn't need to carry your team and play well beyond your current rank to progress to the next one. If a player is THAT good, yes it will still work. If a player is simply "very good" but not "top of S+ tier" level, it's very easy to get caught up in the bad match streaks. Some players (myself being one of them) seem to trigger some value in the matchmaker (or at least pre-2.6 did, we'll see now) where the matchmaker seems likely to put us on unfavorable teams in long series. I'm sure it's a simple mathematical value, but some people, whether it's playstyle or what, do seem to trigger that imbalance.

If you find that it's easy to float up, I'd wager that you're really one of those "top tier S+" players that can carry even S+ teams in raw ability (Which I've really presumed true all along based on your ability to see the map faster and in more detail than most players:)), but don't sit up there due to your keenness for experimentation ;). If you were to go all meta, play tentateks and gals, you probably would be. Too many players of that skill don't really appreciate the problems with the system because you're viewing it from a sort of sideways perspective were the real issues tend to not affect you the same way as players properly seated in lesser ranks. I'm not picking on you :D it's something I've reminded numerous S+'s of in discussions about this. That's a special tier just for that type of player. I.E. Players that are THAT good have had the experience of floating fairly fast through the ranks, and tend to view the system as one that rewards skilled play and moves you to where you should be. But those players don't tend to realize that it only worked for them because they were playing at a level SO high above everyone they encountered that it was never much competition. They weren't really battling for the rank the way normal players advancing in skill will have to.

Oh man, you copped out! I asked you for your definition so it's not a million snail question :p I'm sure you have your own quotas or expectations of others based on ranks and weapons.
LOL, not a cop out. I honestly don't have a current definition. I'm still trying to figure one out. I've commented on some other threads that I somewhat wish they didn't display k/d on the stats at all. Because of how most other shooters work, most interperet that score as THE score. Both due to that, and due to being a charger main where splats largely ARE the primary function (a sniper dying a lot is doing something wrong, with the exception of TC where they may just be riding the tower a lot) skewed my thinking. I was previously of the opinion that simply a positive value is better than negative, and being alive and on the map more is better than respawning a lot. However, observing many, many rounds where double digit deaths meant victory and double digit kills meant defeat (across the majority of the team!) I don't define it that way anymore.

But I can't quantify it either. When we get a massive loss and see a bunch of 1/9 deaths, it's easy to say "well, there's the problem!" but when you WIN and see a bunch of 1/9 deaths, it's hard to pinpoint it. It's situational, so I'm trying to figure out an interpretation of the k/d stats and match it with w/l. If the enemy massively pushed and we did not turn it around, then the high deaths low kills are almost certainly to blame for loss. But it's not universal.

By weapons I have some expectations. I expect TTKs and gals get high kills. That's their primary role. But I don't have real expectations on deaths since they're also going to be the prime objective movers. But when we lose and I had 2 S's with tentateks on my team and they went 3/12....I know who to blame for the big point loss :p I honestly have lower expectations than most for chargers. I consider ANY positive k/d a success. I don't expect to see 18/2 every match. Sometimes it's 4/1 or 5/4. Not every round lends to successful sniping, but it's still pressuring and turfing. (My current record is 20/3 in Arowanna TC with C-Liter however....just for bragging purposes ;) )

But generally my expectations have become very situational and I always advise here to potentially ignore k/d if you can't interpret it by weapon, mode, etc.

HOWEVER, while I'm partially accepting of my negatives and parities with octobrush, I'm not quite satisfied with it either. After all the octobrush that can get 12/12 would be a lot MORE useful staying on the map longer and getting 14/10. Dying a lot isn't always a bad thing, but doing the same thing better and getting a kill instead of a trade is always better. ;)

But I do accept the nature of close range weapons and aggressive play on the objective is to have a high death count. I play octobrush mostly for RM - and I bee-line to the enemy carrier time and again. I take high risks around the RM. And I dive straight into a mob of 4 foes to take out the carrier knowing I'll get splatted. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. But it's worth the risk.

Honestly in TW for anyone to get a kill score of something like 18 it requires the enemy team to be composed of either party squids or just kids. That's before you even factor in the time spent respawning for dying 10x :D

I think it's more important to record the consistency of your victories. There was a period where I played with this group of Japanese friends every night and as is the case in TW, members would get switched up every match. I'd know I'm doing well if my team was the one that won most of the time, regardless of which members were on my team. Try keeping a score and victory record of every match. In my case because I record all my matches (occasionally I fail to record it because my device messes up ugh), my results are there all the time :)
Whoops I meant SZ with carbon and the 18+ TTKs' :oops:

However I agree in terms of victories etc. People never believe me when I say I don't care about rank, but the system is so broken, like I said, it's just not going to be a fun game if you care. Sure I get frustrated when I derank or worse am on an endless losing streak and I get happy when I rank up, but I generally don't care overall, because it's just the bad scoring system and kind of meaningless in its current form. I'm more interested in my own performance. I KNOW when I did badly or when I didn't. Losses in good matches are fun. It's a shame it costs rank points and therefor risks being ranked in "these matches suck and my team doesn't even know what way the rainmaker goes" ranks because I'd be happy playing those S+ matches all the time until I can figure out their tactics. Sadly the game doesn't let me without sending me to the B's and terrible matches :(

Hmm, I'll have to play some Dynamo more on those maps and hopefully provide you with some videos then!
That would be awesome! :)

Haven't really played ranked much (recently just Slosher in SZ in 2.5.0) but for now I'll just say if you're being focused on then your job as a Dynamo at that time is to be as much of a distraction as possible...I know that wasn't part of the jobscope but a squid's gotta do what a squid's gotta do! :D
Interesting...due to the dynamo's ink capability (and teams that often don't claim the zone as it counts down endlessly) I've always focused on zone securing. That's an interesting thought though in Anchov, I'm still not sure how to work that, primarily due to signage. I'd think playing something like sploosh would be more practical for the "distraction" role. One of the reasons I've been experimenting with it is that, and the fact that in ranked everyone suddenly forgets the importance of turf control :mad:

I don't hate Hammerhead as an E-Liter, just noting that it has difficulties. Flounder is possibly the worst E-Liter map. I actually like Underpass, although it's definitely hell if the enemy has the right members to keep rushing in to harass you and your team mates don't understand the importance of helping you ink from the base outwards again...
You mean like most Underpass matches? Nah, I hate underpass with eliter. The problem is it has no real place from which to snipe or even pressure. The side paths are far too easy to flank, and you only have a sideways view of the enemy's perpendicular approach. Only the fastest of crack-shots will hit anything from there. The window at the top can be valuable, but only overlooks the most unused part of the map. It's a map it can be difficult to be helpful in. it fares best in TC IMO. A highly mobile sniper can still make use of it. It's also pretty good for dynamo in SZ. But not for eliter at all. The constant base raids get tiring as an eliter as well. At least with dynamo I can retaliate. Most matches in TW the team spends most of their time inside the enemy base (or the enemy in yours!) Flounder...it's honestly not that much better :p I won't disagree with your dislike of it. You're limited to a purely defensive role from only a few locations, and must contend with endless flanks and base raids, which, again often move perpendicular to your FOV.

Anecdotal but whilst trying out a Slosher build (no damage ups) in SZ on Saltspray and Walleye I actually went from A-96 to A+44 or so. I wasn't even thinking of ranking up, I just played as best as I could, thankfully members were all competent. Personally I wish there was an easy way to reset rank or something, I really want to go experience the new B hell without purposely losing in ranked (which is not really nice for my team mates mainly)
I've advocated for a long time a progressive ladder with seasonal resets across the board. This floating lader is a joke, and the player pools mixed with alts are a joke as well. Most other games have resets, and they do it for a reason. People would be annoyed losing their ranks though, so they don't do it. Experiencing that mess is what everyone else creates an alt for. Which is precisely what created that mess to BEGIN with. You basically have glorified C noobs on one side and S/S+ alts on the other. Whichever team lucks out with the most alts wins. I was last in B a few weeks ago with my severe drop. It's telling that my losing streak continued down to B6 before the recovery back up. There's no way I couldn't single handedly carry any B team against any other real B team. But of course, I was still up against partial A/S teams :rolleyes: it wasn't THAT horrible this time to get out of, but it was far more horrible than it should have been. I was one game away from B- as a result. No working scoring system should move someone capable of hovering in A/A+/S down to a tier with people who have had the game for 2 weeks. I started sinking that low voluntarily because I had previously ignored RM and wanted to get into it, knowing it would tank my rank. But it was just ridiculous once I got to the B's where even as an awful RM player by A standards at the time I felt like I was a semi-pro champ surrounded by the kiddie pool against real pros :scared:

I don't advocate alts, simply because that's the source of much of the trouble in ranked as it is. Creating alts to "experience the problem" would actually help expand the problem.

The 30p buffer is really just there to ease frustration and also increase tension. Imagine if you ranked up to A+1 and lost the next game, you'd see that message and get kicked out of your current lobby (which you might wanna stick around in). The losing buffer gives more tension when you're 1-2 losses away from ranking down.
Yeah, I'm not against them giving a buffer between ranks. At lest when moving upward. I have mixed feelings about the deduction when moving downard. it's part of the mobility problem of the floating ladder. Giving you a buffer to not drop as soon as you move up due to bad luck makes sense. Making you earn back a buffer when you drop doesn't make as much sense because it assumes that anyone who drops from a higher rank really plays at a lower rank when it could have been just a bad streak they could earn out of easily again. And a lot of THAT is due to how narrow the ranks are at 70p with ~10p between games. That's why I think maybe 2p w/l points or 3p ko makes more sense. It makes a given bracket represent the net result of FAR more games at a given level than be a short term sampling of only a handful of games at that level. IMO if they're going to say brackets represent skills then they needed to give a more consistent opportunity to play at that skill and improve/prove you belong before throwing you in the kiddie pool again where you fall out of practice. (I've been playing mostly squads recently, so I've been locked in mostly A+/S/S+ matches...plenty of practice, but it still is frustrating that it keeps messing with my points. Yeah, I'm likely to get stomped in S+ matches, but there's little opportunity to learn how they're doing it if you can't keep facing them consistently. ) TW is MOSTLY S/S+ for me - unless it's all C- :rolleyes:

Haven't really thought much else about ranked but things I think they could add are a ladder system, manual ranking resets (might not necessarily be a good idea) and individual ranks per weapon so that people don't see me as an A+ E-Liter who's still fresh from TW practice and expect me to be Hawkeye.
It's already a ladder, but what I imagine you mean is the progressive ladder system I mentioned where it favors upward movement and requires "challenge matches' before going up or down to really separate the rungs of the ladder more. And I couldn't agree more about different ranks for different weapons. AND by mode. I've found it frustrating how you can get to S just scumming Zones, and then go play RM at S level and play like a C-, making your team lose. If you're not your rank in EVERY mode, you're not really your rank! Someone pointed out in another thread that the per-weapon system is how Street Fighter works it. You get a player value that remains fairly static, and a character value that changes by which character you play. Your skill with a given character is determined by both values. Makes sense, and really should work with Splatoon.

Yes I mean S players who play poorly because I always seem to get matched up with them. And yes I know that ranks are just labels, but I somehow feel humiliated being a level 50 who has 100000 inked with my choice of weapon yet I still can`t keep my A+ rank. Meanwhile there are lvl 30 who are S+ and that just makes me feel like a total noob xD I quess some players are simply better than others :D
LOL, well some players are just that good, and keep in mind some of them aren't REALLY that noobish, they probably came from 15 years of playing COD, Battlefield, TF2, UT, Halo, etc. So their skills applied to this game as well. Also keep in mind that it's VERY common for S+ players to have alt accounts, and often several. Those other accounts might also get up to S+ pretty fast since it's really an S+ player's skill getting there. Some of the S's might be S+ alts for S's that aren't as good with their current weapon (or the matchmaker keeps screwing them over) So the "level30 S+" could in fact be the 3rd account played by someone who's first account is lv50, plus the two lv30 accounts they play ;)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Levels are mostly an indicator of time spent and not actual skill. Rank doesn't necessarily indicate the actual player skill, although if someone has an S+, you can assume they know what they're doing at the very least. I don't have an alternate account so I never tried this but I think if someone just kept playing in ranked from level 10, the possibility of hitting S+ is definitely there because IIRC ranked doesn't really level you up very fast if you lose.

But besides that, you're not wrong, some players are indeed better than others. That's not what you should focus on though...what you need to focus on is knowing that a higher level of play exists and then find a way to work towards that effectively.

It's your choice to feel discouraged and just say "Some people will always be better than me" or you can feel encouraged and say "I will get to their level and show them what's what". Human beings are creatures capable of improvement via learning :)

Lastly, 100000p inked is VERY little. I have 16 weapons above 100000p
and some of my Japanese friends have 3 weapons maxed out at 999999. Level 50 does mean you've been playing for quite some time though :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
At the risk of being redundant on some other threads - I'll say simply that it's not always true that strong players float up the ranks. The STRONGEST players, the highest dominant S+ players certainly will. These are the players who are keen to point out that if you just carry your teams you'll make it up while ignoring that in a team game that's team scored, you shouldn't need to carry your team and play well beyond your current rank to progress to the next one. If a player is THAT good, yes it will still work. If a player is simply "very good" but not "top of S+ tier" level, it's very easy to get caught up in the bad match streaks. Some players (myself being one of them) seem to trigger some value in the matchmaker (or at least pre-2.6 did, we'll see now) where the matchmaker seems likely to put us on unfavorable teams in long series. I'm sure it's a simple mathematical value, but some people, whether it's playstyle or what, do seem to trigger that imbalance.
Hmm, maybe my choice of words weren't the best. I don't mean strong players will get to the top with no issue, I meant to say they will ultimately get there if they keep at it. Now, I also don't mean 'strong players' as in 'naturally gifted' but rather as you keep playing and improving your skills, at some point you literally have leveled up and your results in the game will start to reflect it bit by bit.

I say bit by bit because Splatoon is still a game where you can't do everything solo. Every other player in it (including the enemies) are still a big factor and of course there're internet disconnections and similar forces (of a first world) nature :D

If you find that it's easy to float up, I'd wager that you're really one of those "top tier S+" players that can carry even S+ teams in raw ability (Which I've really presumed true all along based on your ability to see the map faster and in more detail than most players:)), but don't sit up there due to your keenness for experimentation ;). If you were to go all meta, play tentateks and gals, you probably would be. Too many players of that skill don't really appreciate the problems with the system because you're viewing it from a sort of sideways perspective were the real issues tend to not affect you the same way as players properly seated in lesser ranks. I'm not picking on you :D it's something I've reminded numerous S+'s of in discussions about this. That's a special tier just for that type of player. I.E. Players that are THAT good have had the experience of floating fairly fast through the ranks, and tend to view the system as one that rewards skilled play and moves you to where you should be. But those players don't tend to realize that it only worked for them because they were playing at a level SO high above everyone they encountered that it was never much competition. They weren't really battling for the rank the way normal players advancing in skill will have to.
If I had to gauge myself using the system's grading system but ignoring the comparison to other players (Eg. Above average players who managed to get to S and just stay there by not playing) I'd say I'm probably around A+. For me being an S+ means being the ultimate cream of the crop, having robust understanding of every weapon (I'm still learning lots of new stuff every now and then in Splatoon), having lots of experience with the myriads of situations that can happen on top of the many possible team varieties.

To give examples, I was trying the Slosher out a few days ago and I learnt that it has more differences from the Sloshing Machine than I first imagined, despite making a short comparison video months ago between the two.

@Award Updated with a short little clip! Let's see if you can tell what I'm trying to illustrate :D

An example of situations, I think I mentioned it earlier but I was using a C-Liter the other day in TW and kept getting rushed by Splash-O-Matics, my team was unable to recognize that I was struggling to keep our base turfed for myself to move around. This knowledge came in handy when I played in ranked and had E-Liters on my team and I was a Slosher. IIRC it was Urchin Underpass and as you know enemies tend to ink that slope + perch on your side whenever they can. What I did was always return to ink it while the E-Liter still maintained his presence in that area.

Cause if he can't move around well there, he's unable to provide support and this is the kind of thing I think a lot of players who often play solo don't understand. They think E-Liters can do everything on their own. We both know it's not true ;)

So yea, my Slosher obviously wouldn't get a very amazing K/D in this case since I'm also heavily in support but as you can guess, we won more hehe.

LOL, not a cop out. I honestly don't have a current definition. I'm still trying to figure one out. I've commented on some other threads that I somewhat wish they didn't display k/d on the stats at all. Because of how most other shooters work, most interperet that score as THE score. Both due to that, and due to being a charger main where splats largely ARE the primary function (a sniper dying a lot is doing something wrong, with the exception of TC where they may just be riding the tower a lot) skewed my thinking. I was previously of the opinion that simply a positive value is better than negative, and being alive and on the map more is better than respawning a lot. However, observing many, many rounds where double digit deaths meant victory and double digit kills meant defeat (across the majority of the team!) I don't define it that way anymore.
In TW at least, my idea of being a charger (especially either Liter) is to control the pace of the match. I think at least outside of super S+ tiers, most of us don't expect to land every shot as a charger. Instead, creating an atmosphere where the enemy needs to either focus on getting you out of the way or sneaking past your laser or traversing the ink you lay down (and you can do that pretty well due to range) is all part of the job. I mean, let's be real, in terms of earning splats, the gals would generally do it much faster than an E-Liter in the right situation. Us having long range means we generally have more control over who to splat because unlike shorter ranged weapons, we don't have to physically move to a location to do the job. In short, for Liters control is key. It's very possible to have 2-0 as a C-Liter and yet determine the win for your team as long as you managed to successfully chase off any one who tried to expand their territory.

But I can't quantify it either. When we get a massive loss and see a bunch of 1/9 deaths, it's easy to say "well, there's the problem!" but when you WIN and see a bunch of 1/9 deaths, it's hard to pinpoint it. It's situational, so I'm trying to figure out an interpretation of the k/d stats and match it with w/l. If the enemy massively pushed and we did not turn it around, then the high deaths low kills are almost certainly to blame for loss. But it's not universal.
Sadly I think due to Wii U limitations, we're not able to have a full-on replay system in Splatoon where you can observe what every player has done throughout the match. So the best thing for now is to record my own matches and take note of the general flow (win streaks, loss streaks, K/D etc)

By weapons I have some expectations. I expect TTKs and gals get high kills. That's their primary role. But I don't have real expectations on deaths since they're also going to be the prime objective movers. But when we lose and I had 2 S's with tentateks on my team and they went 3/12....I know who to blame for the big point loss :p I honestly have lower expectations than most for chargers. I consider ANY positive k/d a success. I don't expect to see 18/2 every match. Sometimes it's 4/1 or 5/4. Not every round lends to successful sniping, but it's still pressuring and turfing. (My current record is 20/3 in Arowanna TC with C-Liter however....just for bragging purposes ;) )
Oh man, I know how you feel when I see similar scores on those weapons, I literally cannot comprehend it haha. It's like seeing an Aerospray with less than 400p or something. Hehe, allow me to match your brag by saying I had 19-0 on TW Triggerfish vs probably 3-4 kids and I was using the L3D. If I were of S+ caliber I think that number would have easily exceeded 20 :x

But generally my expectations have become very situational and I always advise here to potentially ignore k/d if you can't interpret it by weapon, mode, etc.
Yea that's good advice and I agree with it fully, it's naturally tough for most people to ignore those numbers though, as you can see from Miirisa's post :p

HOWEVER, while I'm partially accepting of my negatives and parities with octobrush, I'm not quite satisfied with it either. After all the octobrush that can get 12/12 would be a lot MORE useful staying on the map longer and getting 14/10. Dying a lot isn't always a bad thing, but doing the same thing better and getting a kill instead of a trade is always better. ;)
Definitely, a straight up kill will always be better than a trade but make sure to identify which trades were unavoidable (eg. you got ambushed and forced a trade).

However I agree in terms of victories etc. People never believe me when I say I don't care about rank, but the system is so broken, like I said, it's just not going to be a fun game if you care. Sure I get frustrated when I derank or worse am on an endless losing streak and I get happy when I rank up, but I generally don't care overall, because it's just the bad scoring system and kind of meaningless in its current form. I'm more interested in my own performance. I KNOW when I did badly or when I didn't. Losses in good matches are fun. It's a shame it costs rank points and therefor risks being ranked in "these matches suck and my team doesn't even know what way the rainmaker goes" ranks because I'd be happy playing those S+ matches all the time until I can figure out their tactics. Sadly the game doesn't let me without sending me to the B's and terrible matches :(
I sort of get what you mean. Personally I wish ranked would also show amount of ink turfed. It's not as necessary like in TW but it gives me some additional information to deduce what might have happened. Showing me their ranks does nothing but gives me ammo to blame the system when my team is AAAA and the enemy's is SSSS or something.

Interesting...due to the dynamo's ink capability (and teams that often don't claim the zone as it counts down endlessly) I've always focused on zone securing. That's an interesting thought though in Anchov, I'm still not sure how to work that, primarily due to signage. I'd think playing something like sploosh would be more practical for the "distraction" role. One of the reasons I've been experimenting with it is that, and the fact that in ranked everyone suddenly forgets the importance of turf control :mad:
Oh Sploosh is most definitely a distraction role + rushdown + ninja etc. Dynamo is about creating 'widespread fear' literally. Unless you're already in the sights of a charger (any charger for that mattter, including squiffers), your presence in the right locations means that even 2 squids who try to get close without either Bubbler or Kraken have to think twice because you can easily take them both out, trade notwithstanding. It's just that, sometimes you might be the next best distraction on the team too because the rest are too focused on killing, so you kind of have to recognize that situation and do that work -_-

You mean like most Underpass matches? Nah, I hate underpass with eliter. The problem is it has no real place from which to snipe or even pressure. The side paths are far too easy to flank, and you only have a sideways view of the enemy's perpendicular approach. Only the fastest of crack-shots will hit anything from there. The window at the top can be valuable, but only overlooks the most unused part of the map. It's a map it can be difficult to be helpful in. it fares best in TC IMO. A highly mobile sniper can still make use of it. It's also pretty good for dynamo in SZ. But not for eliter at all. The constant base raids get tiring as an eliter as well. At least with dynamo I can retaliate. Most matches in TW the team spends most of their time inside the enemy base (or the enemy in yours!) Flounder...it's honestly not that much better :p I won't disagree with your dislike of it. You're limited to a purely defensive role from only a few locations, and must contend with endless flanks and base raids, which, again often move perpendicular to your FOV.
Yea I know what you're talking about on Underpass. For me that's why it's important to keep the left wall inked where I go to occasionally and obviously the square perch will be a common position. Whilst the two openings on the left side high alley don't allow you to be able to target everywhere, the important part here is to not just target but to lay down ink lines which force enemies to reveal themselves (by inking). This is precisely why my no-damage C-Liter build works because I can happily keep laying ink down when enemies aren't in range yet.

I've advocated for a long time a progressive ladder with seasonal resets across the board. This floating lader is a joke, and the player pools mixed with alts are a joke as well. Most other games have resets, and they do it for a reason. People would be annoyed losing their ranks though, so they don't do it. Experiencing that mess is what everyone else creates an alt for. Which is precisely what created that mess to BEGIN with. You basically have glorified C noobs on one side and S/S+ alts on the other. Whichever team lucks out with the most alts wins. I was last in B a few weeks ago with my severe drop. It's telling that my losing streak continued down to B6 before the recovery back up. There's no way I couldn't single handedly carry any B team against any other real B team. But of course, I was still up against partial A/S teams :rolleyes: it wasn't THAT horrible this time to get out of, but it was far more horrible than it should have been. I was one game away from B- as a result. No working scoring system should move someone capable of hovering in A/A+/S down to a tier with people who have had the game for 2 weeks. I started sinking that low voluntarily because I had previously ignored RM and wanted to get into it, knowing it would tank my rank. But it was just ridiculous once I got to the B's where even as an awful RM player by A standards at the time I felt like I was a semi-pro champ surrounded by the kiddie pool against real pros :scared:
I'm sorry but I don't really know the definition of floating ladder so please explain it to me in your next reply.

Aside from that, I wouldn't say that's entirely why people create alts to begin with. If anything it's because online play is free on the Wii U so just creating another account (with free email no less) is just a matter of hassle as opposed to money. And also, whilst I agree it still sucks, you can take heart in the fact that those alts would rise up the ranks quickly and not be around again, unless they keep making new accounts just to grief lower rank players...

Yeah, I'm not against them giving a buffer between ranks. At lest when moving upward. I have mixed feelings about the deduction when moving downard. it's part of the mobility problem of the floating ladder. Giving you a buffer to not drop as soon as you move up due to bad luck makes sense. Making you earn back a buffer when you drop doesn't make as much sense because it assumes that anyone who drops from a higher rank really plays at a lower rank when it could have been just a bad streak they could earn out of easily again. And a lot of THAT is due to how narrow the ranks are at 70p with ~10p between games. That's why I think maybe 2p w/l points or 3p ko makes more sense. It makes a given bracket represent the net result of FAR more games at a given level than be a short term sampling of only a handful of games at that level. IMO if they're going to say brackets represent skills then they needed to give a more consistent opportunity to play at that skill and improve/prove you belong before throwing you in the kiddie pool again where you fall out of practice. (I've been playing mostly squads recently, so I've been locked in mostly A+/S/S+ matches...plenty of practice, but it still is frustrating that it keeps messing with my points. Yeah, I'm likely to get stomped in S+ matches, but there's little opportunity to learn how they're doing it if you can't keep facing them consistently. ) TW is MOSTLY S/S+ for me - unless it's all C- :rolleyes:
Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I don't really believe in losing streaks. What I mean is, if you're losing more than 3-4 matches in a row, you probably need to take a break and gather your wits about you otherwise it's most likely going to be a slippery slope. But yea, I can't say I disagree with a smaller point count as it could most likely lead to more accurate rankings (I get the feeling this is related to what you meant by floating ladder...)

It's already a ladder, but what I imagine you mean is the progressive ladder system I mentioned where it favors upward movement and requires "challenge matches' before going up or down to really separate the rungs of the ladder more. And I couldn't agree more about different ranks for different weapons. AND by mode. I've found it frustrating how you can get to S just scumming Zones, and then go play RM at S level and play like a C-, making your team lose. If you're not your rank in EVERY mode, you're not really your rank! Someone pointed out in another thread that the per-weapon system is how Street Fighter works it. You get a player value that remains fairly static, and a character value that changes by which character you play. Your skill with a given character is determined by both values. Makes sense, and really should work with Splatoon.
Ah sorry, I meant to say seasons where the ranking gets reset every 3 months or so. Ok reading this part again I think I have even slightly more idea of what a floating ladder is...still gonna let you school me though! :p

Funnily enough, that's what I think ranked is about in a way. I thinkr when RM or TC just dropped, I tried a few matches of it and quit quickly. There were two ways to look at it:
1. Nobody knows what they're doing so I can take advantage of it.
2. Nobody knows what they're doing so even if I do, my team mates could easily cause my downfall.
So I avoided it for at least 2 weeks to let everybody else at least figure out how to play the mode.

Oh and hey, I think I should let you know that before Splatoon I was a pretty hardcore SF4 player (hehe) and to use SF as an example regarding my earlier comment on losing streaks. If you play a FT10 match vs someone and you lose 3 matches in a row, you definitely have to give it some thought and adjust/adapt otherwise you're probably going to lose the rest and end with a result like 1-10 or something.

Last edited:

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Levels are mostly an indicator of time spent and not actual skill. Rank doesn't necessarily indicate the actual player skill, although if someone has an S+, you can assume they know what they're doing at the very least. I don't have an alternate account so I never tried this but I think if someone just kept playing in ranked from level 10, the possibility of hitting S+ is definitely there because IIRC ranked doesn't really level you up very fast if you lose.

But besides that, you're not wrong, some players are indeed better than others. That's not what you should focus on though...what you need to focus on is knowing that a higher level of play exists and then find a way to work towards that effectively.

It's your choice to feel discouraged and just say "Some people will always be better than me" or you can feel encouraged and say "I will get to their level and show them what's what". Human beings are creatures capable of improvement via learning :)

and some of my Japanese friends have 3 weapons maxed out at 999999. Level 50 does mean you've been playing for quite some time though :D
I'm not sure how I should have taken your message but thanks anyways. Maybe I'll someday find enough motivation to start playing ranked again...

Award

IIRC ranked doesn't really level you up very fast if you lose.
Ranked levels you up much faster than TW actually. The slog from lv10 to lv20 is largely because the points were designed to convince you to dip into ranked. It's the only reasonable way to get to 20 in a relatively short way. If you WIN some of course, but even by C+ and B- it's waaay faster assuming some win frequency than TW. And of course after lv20 ko's yield 10pts versus 3-5 in TW. Of course KO's are rare enough in the A's and above. But generally getting to 50 was quite the slog doing it mostly in TW :)

LOL....16??? I have 6 (including Dynamo which technically isn't, yet, but will be in another day or two of Zones) - and I play a *LOT* of Splatoon. Do you actually sleep ever?? :scared:

and some of my Japanese friends have 3 weapons maxed out at 999999.
My main and therefore main inked weapon is custom eliter.....I'll plead that as my excuse for it being only 30k and not 99k. ;)

If I had to gauge myself using the system's grading system but ignoring the comparison to other players (Eg. Above average players who managed to get to S and just stay there by not playing) I'd say I'm probably around A+. For me being an S+ means being the ultimate cream of the crop, having robust understanding of every weapon (I'm still learning lots of new stuff every now and then in Splatoon), having lots of experience with the myriads of situations that can happen on top of the many possible team varieties.
To me S+ would indeed be the cream of the crop, and SHOULD involve being the cream of the crop in every map and mode. Though I would personally not assume a robust understanding of every weapon. In fact it's perfectly fair to say that I'd only assume an S+ need be a master of a single weapon with which they can perform in any situation.

However the REALITY is that S+ will, for many, mean having a preferred mode on preferred map rotations and ignoring all others. Ranked is not competitive/clan/tournament play where you're going to play the entire ladder as assigned. For that reason I ALWAYS assume clan/competitive players are superior to simply "S+" -as it happens there's a LOT of clan players these days in the A's. Their ranks are artificially low in some cases because they simply don't play much ranked -much of their ranked mode play is in private battles with pre-organized teams. How many of these do have a second account that is S+, however I can not say. I truly doubt your skill with one of your top weapons is merely "A+" given your penchant to think of the map and the available options on a level that I would generally leave for S+ and clan tier players. ;)

An example of situations, I think I mentioned it earlier but I was using a C-Liter the other day in TW and kept getting rushed by Splash-O-Matics, my team was unable to recognize that I was struggling to keep our base turfed for myself to move around. This knowledge came in handy when I played in ranked and had E-Liters on my team and I was a Slosher. IIRC it was Urchin Underpass and as you know enemies tend to ink that slope + perch on your side whenever they can. What I did was always return to ink it while the E-Liter still maintained his presence in that area.

Cause if he can't move around well there, he's unable to provide support and this is the kind of thing I think a lot of players who often play solo don't understand. They think E-Liters can do everything on their own. We both know it's not true ;)

So yea, my Slosher obviously wouldn't get a very amazing K/D in this case since I'm also heavily in support but as you can guess, we won more hehe.
Oh yeah that particular location is SUCH a pain to deal with, and, as you say, I'm generally left re-inking things myself Not that eliter is THAT bad for doing so but it leaves me on an empty ink tank and uncharged as the enemies come around. Often my only available action at that point is jump to spawn and fall back into the base and wait for them to ENTER the base to take them out. That's one place where it's sometimes better to run hydra than eliter - especially the CHydra where it can really keep that position held. TC I still go for eliter though. I'm having nightmares about that right now - I lost 3 TC rounds back to back by ko in under 1 minute in solo yesterday there for those very reasons.

I played with sloshing machine again yesterday in TW - I still suck with it. You tempt me to try slosher again. Especially with a new one coming on the horizon with unknown kit!

But the play you described is definitely more of a high level play with proper teams (and clans) that sadly solo lacks. It's unfortunately a mode where the players that will move up the fastest are the ones that main a midrange shooter, push the objective themsevles, and can ultimately plug any gap in the team. Those of us that prefer more specialized weapons will always have a harder time filling holes in bad teams :)

Oh man, I know how you feel when I see similar scores on those weapons, I literally cannot comprehend it haha. It's like seeing an Aerospray with less than 400p or something. Hehe, allow me to match your brag by saying I had 19-0 on TW Triggerfish vs probably 3-4 kids and I was using the L3D. If I were of S+ caliber I think that number would have easily exceeded 20 :x
Yeah, to be fair I stink with mid-range shooters. They kind of bore me so I never put much into playing them and generally have low time spent with them. They may be "the meta" but they're the reason I don't buy other shooters and did buy Splatoon :) hehe, 19-0 on TW is probably fair....TW doesn't lend to endless splats like other maps. And in triggerfish your enemies just go around the giant circle as you go around :rolleyes: But I'll still take my sniping record in A+ TC, thankyouverymuch ;)

And, yes, a lot of people can't get over k/d. It's a hard thing to get over. It's the ONLY numeric measurement of performance the game actually gives you, so it's hard to ignore. Add to it that every OTHER shooter scores you ONLY on that number, as it's the definitive tally of your success, and it feels kind of out of place that they display it here at all. It's a mixed signal. The objective isn't splat dependent, yet they give your numeric score in splats. Conventinal wisdom is that splatting the opponent is the best way to take the objective and push it, yet I'm seeing more matches that prove that wisdom wrong.
It can be useful as a metric, but only when accompanied by a sense of what it means in your situation.

I sort of get what you mean. Personally I wish ranked would also show amount of ink turfed. It's not as necessary like in TW but it gives me some additional information to deduce what might have happened. Showing me their ranks does nothing but gives me ammo to blame the system when my team is AAAA and the enemy's is SSSS or something.
To be fair, until now, the rank imbalance affected your score, so it was important to show it. In squads, it still does, so they can't arrange the graphics too differently. I wish it showed turf inked as well. Though in the C's that might encourage the players that go play TW in ranked. A better bet would be for it to have a letter grade or something for performance with computed results from turf, splats, deaths, distance covered with objective, proximity to objective etc. But that would involve a much more sophisticated tracking system for matchmaking etc than we have.

Yea I know what you're talking about on Underpass. For me that's why it's important to keep the left wall inked where I go to occasionally and obviously the square perch will be a common position. Whilst the two openings on the left side high alley don't allow you to be able to target everywhere, the important part here is to not just target but to lay down ink lines which force enemies to reveal themselves (by inking). This is precisely why my no-damage C-Liter build works because I can happily keep laying ink down when enemies aren't in range yet.
Yes, particularly in TW, it's common to use ELiter primarily as a turfing tool. But a map that relegates an eliter to primarily an inking tool is like a map that limits Aerospray RG to primarily a killing tool :p It works, it causes issues for the enemy but it's simply not the most useful tool for the job and is really a poor fit. It fares a LITTLE better in TC. But like the TC matches I played there last night, the enemy can easily push and rush me, and with a team that doesn't seem able to fight back well without getting splatted, and never pushes the tower (or can't) there's little you can do to turn it around with just your eliter. Played in high level matches it works out ok. I generally have a lot more to do when playing there with S's S+'s on both teams. Zones and RM are just a disaster there though with eliter.

I'm sorry but I don't really know the definition of floating ladder so please explain it to me in your next reply.

Aside from that, I wouldn't say that's entirely why people create alts to begin with. If anything it's because online play is free on the Wii U so just creating another account (with free email no less) is just a matter of hassle as opposed to money. And also, whilst I agree it still sucks, you can take heart in the fact that those alts would rise up the ranks quickly and not be around again, unless they keep making new accounts just to grief lower rank players...
As luck would have it, I recently answered that same question for someone else: :)
http://squidboards.com/threads/im-sick-of-________.7261/page-16#post-160756

Those alts sometimes rise up quickly, or sometimes they either intentionally stay lower or are using a secondary weapon that is lower (and sometimes the matchmaker sabotages them and keeps them lower like it does so many people.) The trouble though is what they introduce is a type of movement and tactics that are unseen aside from alts in the ranks they occupy. This means teams are almost completely incapable of handling them. I play a lot of squads so I play a lot of S/S+ matches. I'm not GREAT at dealing with it all the time, but I'm generally a lot better at dealing with it than the rest of my team. And I sure as heck can't take them solo with a team that can't handle them at all. It's definitely a problem, particularly in the A's but that's part of what's creating that B nightmare where teams can deal with it even less, and have less chance of a player like me that knows more of how they play.

And, yes, they DO keep making alts. Many players with alts have more than one alt. In another thread someone pointed out that the current trend among the S+ pool is to create an alt for each weapon and try to reach S+ with it. When they get to S+ with that weapon they create a new alt and learn a new weapon with it. So they're taking S+ knowledge, tactics, map awareness, and movesets into lower ranks where they're not the ace with that weapon that they were with other weapons, but they're still playing a whole different playstyle than everyone else in those ranks knows. Depending on how frequently and with how many weaposn they do this you could easily have a dozen or more players scattered through various ranks that are all actually the same S+ player.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I don't really believe in losing streaks. What I mean is, if you're losing more than 3-4 matches in a row, you probably need to take a break and gather your wits about you otherwise it's most likely going to be a slippery slope. But yea, I can't say I disagree with a smaller point count as it could most likely lead to more accurate rankings (I get the feeling this is related to what you meant by floating ladder...)
Hehe, oh losing streaks are real. Many threads we've tried to figure out it. The best I can say is for one reason or another some players, I'm one of them, seem to get slotted into some "player value hell" where we're constantly matched on teams destined to lose. back to back, no matter the lobby. And then suddenly it does a 180 and the matches become easy again all the way up, before flipping back the other way. One of my many theories is, how they always say they match based on playstyle etc. I wonder if some us perform in such a way or win with such teams that the system slots us as "team carrier role" players and often assigns us the underdog team because it's determined we "even the odds" against the more solid team (which seldom works.) There's also a day/time of day factor. I've found, often, Sunday evenings, the A ranks are brutal and seem to consist mostly of alts. Not all weeks but it seems more often to be sunday than not. Suddenly the A's consist of S/S+ strategies and speeds, and I get very good teams who are just not as good as the amazingly good other team. Then a day or two later it reverts back and the A's are back to A's with teams that don't know how to push against perfectly normal other teams. There's a weird dichotomy in the ranks. Sunday I won 3 of about 20 matches. These weren't bad games, my team didn't play badly, they played quite well. They defended an early lead most of the game then got overwhelmed, me along with them. I wasn't playing badly in fact I was playing better than usual, picking up a few tricks for CQC elitering, and in the few I won, I was the one that put the score on the board. But the opponents were simply better than us in almost every round. Keep in mind these were good games, with "fun losses" aside from the loss in rank points. Which is what's so sad about the loss of rank points. It doesn't reward extremely well fought games any different from getting steamrolled. Then the past two days I win/lose about half of the few I've played - they are much slower games played at lower level than those Sunday games (int he same rank!) and my teams seem fairly clueless and unable to push. Which group represents A? They're definitely two different tiers.

In one set I'm an equal member of a competent team that is clearly an inferior team overall to the other. In the other set I'm the "carrier" for the incompetent team (with eliter??) against a very averagely capable opposing team. Where it's interesting is that it's not random in different lobbies. It will consistently match me the same way until it decides to reverse how it matches me. the losing streaks are real but for some reason not all players seem to be affected by it. I can only assume there's something about the metrics for certain players that triggers that loop or somehow otherwise "confuses" the system about how it should be matching you. if you're one of those people it's really best to just accept that it is what it is and ignore what it does with you as best you can.

Smaller points just make sense. it makes any rank change consist of far larger sample data and gives time to offset any win/lose streak with an equal streak the other way to get a better balance of where your trends really sit. As is it consists of FAR too little sample data and allows rank changes far too easily to forge momentum in the wrong direction.

Oh and hey, I think I should let you know that before Splatoon I was a pretty hardcore SF4 player (hehe) and to use SF as an example regarding my earlier comment on losing streaks. If you play a FT10 match vs someone and you lose 3 matches in a row, you definitely have to give it some thought and adjust/adapt otherwise you're probably going to lose the rest and end with a result like 1-10 or something.
I'm AWFUL at fighting games :) But just using the matchmaking system example SF is a lot more balanced in that it does retain your player/weapon value differently. it also has more sophisticated player metrics than a mere win/lose/playstyle so the odds of getting such bad matches are lower. Additional it's of course not team based, so if you lost the match, you lost the match, not being let down by others messing up. that also makes it easier for it to assign better matches because your results are your own, not 1/4 of the actual result ;)

I'm not sure how I should have taken your message but thanks anyways. Maybe I'll someday find enough motivation to start playing ranked again...
Honestly, especially with maining a weapon other than a midrange shooter, you're going to be fairly dependent on your teams, and as a result, your rank will also be more heavily weighted by your teams performance than simply your own. Lots of people will tell you "if you're good enough you can do it" and to a degree that's true, but it tends ot involve playing well above your rank level (I.E. to get out of A+ you have to play at S+ level if you're trying to carry your teams and make yourself be the difference.) That becomes very unfun. I hate the threat of dropping to the B's, but between the A's I simply can't get myself to care much anymore, knowing how the ranking will ultimately behave.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
About aerosprays. I was once playing SZ on Mahi-Mahi, and my team occupied the other team (I thought). I was like "Oh, let me just ink the zone with my dynamo and stuff." I did a few flicks, and then I saw that it was rapidly inked over. An aerospray was standing at the platform "spraying" the zone. And that's when I realized why we could never take the zone: Becuse of the aerospray. We ended up winning in overtime becuse I just targeted that player like crazy, but I learned my lessn: NEVER underrestimate higher ranked aerosprays.

Award

About aerosprays. I was once playing SZ on Mahi-Mahi, and my team occupied the other team (I thought). I was like "Oh, let me just ink the zone with my dynamo and stuff." I did a few flicks, and then I saw that it was rapidly inked over. An aerospray was standing at the platform "spraying" the zone. And that's when I realized why we could never take the zone: Becuse of the aerospray. We ended up winning in overtime becuse I just targeted that player like crazy, but I learned my lessn: NEVER underrestimate higher ranked aerosprays.
That's pretty cool. Birdiebee commented elsewhere about using a similar strategy in AnchoV. i tried to use it there a few times and didn't make it work, but it makes me want to get back into trying it. I'm a huge aerospray fan! :D (And Dynamo's kind of painful in AnchoV...;))

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Even though this has nothing to do with rollers I played some turf wars today with the E-litre.Even though I use analog controls I still like using it for fun (please don`t attack me) But in Urchin underpass there was a sploosh-o-matic that was swimming from side to side in front of me..So I fully charge my shot and point it to the ground. And then the sploosh-o-matic just stops and looks at me..Then I splat him by snapping my snipe (I`m not sure if that was the sickest bait ever or just really mean...xD)Also I screwed around with the octobrush and the carbon deco octobrush actually used to be my main..Anyways both were really fun, but the octobrush seems kinda lame to me(probably because I don`t use it at all) Oh and am I the only one who has been experiencing connection issues after the latest update..because the matches were reeeally laggy:D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Oops. Didn't mean to discourage you or anything. I actually elaborated a bit more in my reply to Award.

When I said some players are indeed better, I mean they've become better than others by improving themselves. You've seen my old roller videos, did I look like I knew what I was doing back then? :p

Like I told Award, I was hardcore in SF4 and that taught me quite a lot of things. One of the things I learnt is that, sometimes you see someone who plays well, you might think "Oh that guy's just talented" but 9/10 times the truth is that person simply put in a lot more time and effort than you and also used them efficiently (like, learning the right stuff instead of the wrong stuff). They might not tell these things to you and you're left with the illusion that they're just "good at the game naturally".

Hope you understand my message better! :)

Last edited:

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Even though this has nothing to do with rollers I played some turf wars today with the E-litre.Even though I use analog controls I still like using it for fun (please don`t attack me) But in Urchin underpass there was a sploosh-o-matic that was swimming from side to side in front of me..So I fully charge my shot and point it to the ground. And then the sploosh-o-matic just stops and looks at me..Then I splat him by snapping my snipe (I`m not sure if that was the sickest bait ever or just really mean...xD)Also I screwed around with the octobrush and the carbon deco octobrush actually used to be my main..Anyways both were really fun, but the octobrush seems kinda lame to me(probably because I don`t use it at all) Oh and am I the only one who has been experiencing connection issues after the latest update..because the matches were reeeally laggy:D
Erm, just my personal opinion but if you're playing rollers without motion controls I think you're at a pretty big disadvantage. Being able to adjust your aim midswing as a Splat Roller/Dynamo is really important from my experience.

Still, good job getting that Sploosh haha, I hate them :P

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Erm, just my personal opinion but if you're playing rollers without motion controls I think you're at a pretty big disadvantage. Being able to adjust your aim midswing as a Splat Roller/Dynamo is really important from my experience.

Still, good job getting that Sploosh haha, I hate them :p
I know that I`m at a disadvantage without motion controls. However analog just feels more natural and easier for me xD (I don`t even know why,but it just works for me) My friend who used to play splatoon said that I could be a lot better with motion controls..but having to learn aiming from the basics just seems bothersome to me..Also sploosh-o-matics are the most annoying to deal with when using an E-litre (they just move so fast wtf)

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Oops. Didn't mean to discourage you or anything. I actually elaborated a bit more in my reply to Award.

When I said some players are indeed better, I mean they've become better than others by improving themselves. You've seen my old roller videos, did I look like I know what I was doing back then? :p

Like I told Award, I was hardcore in SF4 and that taught me quite a lot of things. One of the things I learnt is that, sometimes you see someone who plays well, you might think "Oh that guy's just talented" but 9/10 times the truth is that person simply put in a lot more time and effort than you and also used them efficiently (like, learning the right stuff instead of the wrong stuff). They might not tell these things to you and you're left with the illusion that they're just "good at the game naturally".

Hope you understand my message better! :)
Yeah I understand now..And no you didn`t discourage me I`m just at a really bad mood 70% of the time :P

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Ranked levels you up much faster than TW actually. The slog from lv10 to lv20 is largely because the points were designed to convince you to dip into ranked. It's the only reasonable way to get to 20 in a relatively short way. If you WIN some of course, but even by C+ and B- it's waaay faster assuming some win frequency than TW. And of course after lv20 ko's yield 10pts versus 3-5 in TW. Of course KO's are rare enough in the A's and above. But generally getting to 50 was quite the slog doing it mostly in TW :)
Yea you're probably right. I hit 50 quite some time ago from TW mainly so I can't really recall how fast it'd level up if you kept winning in ranked, I did seem to remember that if all you did was lose then you probably wouldn't be leveling up much at all.

LOL....16??? I have 6 (including Dynamo which technically isn't, yet, but will be in another day or two of Zones) - and I play a *LOT* of Splatoon. Do you actually sleep ever?? :scared:
Well do remember I mainly play TW and I actually do turf a lot in that mode so these points are almost expected. I have Japanese friends who have 3 weapons at 999999p and such; when you think you play a lot, think again :P

My main and therefore main inked weapon is custom eliter.....I'll plead that as my excuse for it being only 30k and not 99k. ;)
I think you meant 300k and not 999k?

To me S+ would indeed be the cream of the crop, and SHOULD involve being the cream of the crop in every map and mode. Though I would personally not assume a robust understanding of every weapon. In fact it's perfectly fair to say that I'd only assume an S+ need be a master of a single weapon with which they can perform in any situation.
However the REALITY is that S+ will, for many, mean having a preferred mode on preferred map rotations and ignoring all others. Ranked is not competitive/clan/tournament play where you're going to play the entire ladder as assigned. For that reason I ALWAYS assume clan/competitive players are superior to simply "S+" -as it happens there's a LOT of clan players these days in the A's. Their ranks are artificially low in some cases because they simply don't play much ranked -much of their ranked mode play is in private battles with pre-organized teams. How many of these do have a second account that is S+, however I can not say. I truly doubt your skill with one of your top weapons is merely "A+" given your penchant to think of the map and the available options on a level that I would generally leave for S+ and clan tier players. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh certainly, I'm just stating my own idea of what being the cream would mean. Reality obviously is different. It's kind of like Street Fighter 4 once again; lots of people grind points in ranked online but sometimes the top players don't necessarily do that. When tournaments roll around, those who only grinded online typically don't place better than the actual professional players because there's just so much more that entails being cream of the crop. I'm pretty much corroborating your second long paragraph here :D

Oh yeah that particular location is SUCH a pain to deal with, and, as you say, I'm generally left re-inking things myself Not that eliter is THAT bad for doing so but it leaves me on an empty ink tank and uncharged as the enemies come around. Often my only available action at that point is jump to spawn and fall back into the base and wait for them to ENTER the base to take them out. That's one place where it's sometimes better to run hydra than eliter - especially the CHydra where it can really keep that position held. TC I still go for eliter though. I'm having nightmares about that right now - I lost 3 TC rounds back to back by ko in under 1 minute in solo yesterday there for those very reasons.
Yea precisely, this is one of the problems in the current meta where players have yet to fully understand every weapon's traits (myself included) so sometimes instead of helping you out somewhat with turfing they just push forward hoping to harass/occupy the enemy whilst the enemy also does the same thing because you have a much harder time keeping them out with all that enemy ink on your side -_-

I played with sloshing machine again yesterday in TW - I still suck with it. You tempt me to try slosher again. Especially with a new one coming on the horizon with unknown kit!
Heh, just play what you like man, I haven't touched Sloshing Machine in a long time because like I said recently it's mainly been charger practise.

But the play you described is definitely more of a high level play with proper teams (and clans) that sadly solo lacks. It's unfortunately a mode where the players that will move up the fastest are the ones that main a midrange shooter, push the objective themsevles, and can ultimately plug any gap in the team. Those of us that prefer more specialized weapons will always have a harder time filling holes in bad teams :)
That is certainly the case because in solo mode, you can't always depend on your team mates so weapons that can do almost everything well will always have a place. Still. occasionally I've played in some TW lobbies with randoms and I can see certain players are close to my ideal of understanding situations and adapting to them. It's like they looked at both teams weapon lineup during the intro (I do that BTW :D) and they kind of know what they need to do for the match to establish control.

When one side has more of these players, usually something close to a total lockdown occurs from my experience...

Yeah, to be fair I stink with mid-range shooters. They kind of bore me so I never put much into playing them and generally have low time spent with them. They may be "the meta" but they're the reason I don't buy other shooters and did buy Splatoon :) hehe, 19-0 on TW is probably fair....TW doesn't lend to endless splats like other maps. And in triggerfish your enemies just go around the giant circle as you go around :rolleyes: But I'll still take my sniping record in A+ TC, thankyouverymuch ;)

And, yes, a lot of people can't get over k/d. It's a hard thing to get over. It's the ONLY numeric measurement of performance the game actually gives you, so it's hard to ignore. Add to it that every OTHER shooter scores you ONLY on that number, as it's the definitive tally of your success, and it feels kind of out of place that they display it here at all. It's a mixed signal. The objective isn't splat dependent, yet they give your numeric score in splats. Conventinal wisdom is that splatting the opponent is the best way to take the objective and push it, yet I'm seeing more matches that prove that wisdom wrong.
It can be useful as a metric, but only when accompanied by a sense of what it means in your situation.
You might wanna give the Nozzlenose family a try, They're definitely interesting for midrange. Personally I have yet to use a 52 gal or 96 deco in a match at all (0 points!) because I despise them haha.

Showing K/D is the lesser of two evils. It'd be worse if it didn't show it at all and you're left with a lot less information on anyone's performance. That said, last night I had 7-0 on TW riggerfish as C-Liter but we lost...you know why? Cause pretty much all my kills came within the first 45 seconds or so. Things got out of control as it went on and well, we lost :( Just further reiterating that K/D doesn't tell the full story.

To be fair, until now, the rank imbalance affected your score, so it was important to show it. In squads, it still does, so they can't arrange the graphics too differently. I wish it showed turf inked as well. Though in the C's that might encourage the players that go play TW in ranked. A better bet would be for it to have a letter grade or something for performance with computed results from turf, splats, deaths, distance covered with objective, proximity to objective etc. But that would involve a much more sophisticated tracking system for matchmaking etc than we have.
Actually with the improved matchmaking now, it's all the more reason they should show turf inked. Upon entering the lobby they could show the ranks first (which according to the update should be all starting with the same letter) and then during the results they can show the turf inked + K/D. Cause if the matchmaking works as it was stated, knowing the ranks in results doesn't really do anything anymore. You aren't going to see A- matched with S+.

Yes, particularly in TW, it's common to use ELiter primarily as a turfing tool. But a map that relegates an eliter to primarily an inking tool is like a map that limits Aerospray RG to primarily a killing tool :p It works, it causes issues for the enemy but it's simply not the most useful tool for the job and is really a poor fit. It fares a LITTLE better in TC. But like the TC matches I played there last night, the enemy can easily push and rush me, and with a team that doesn't seem able to fight back well without getting splatted, and never pushes the tower (or can't) there's little you can do to turn it around with just your eliter. Played in high level matches it works out ok. I generally have a lot more to do when playing there with S's S+'s on both teams. Zones and RM are just a disaster there though with eliter.
Yea not saying E-Liter would perform amazingly on Underpass but you kind of have to adjust your mindset accordingly to the map. It's still no Flounder Heights IMO :D

As luck would have it, I recently answered that same question for someone else: :)
http://squidboards.com/threads/im-sick-of-________.7261/page-16#post-160756

Haha awesome! I'll give it a read later!http://squidboards.com/threads/im-sick-of-________.7261/page-16#post-160756

Those alts sometimes rise up quickly, or sometimes they either intentionally stay lower or are using a secondary weapon that is lower (and sometimes the matchmaker sabotages them and keeps them lower like it does so many people.) The trouble though is what they introduce is a type of movement and tactics that are unseen aside from alts in the ranks they occupy. This means teams are almost completely incapable of handling them. I play a lot of squads so I play a lot of S/S+ matches. I'm not GREAT at dealing with it all the time, but I'm generally a lot better at dealing with it than the rest of my team. And I sure as heck can't take them solo with a team that can't handle them at all. It's definitely a problem, particularly in the A's but that's part of what's creating that B nightmare where teams can deal with it even less, and have less chance of a player like me that knows more of how they play.
Yea I know what you mean about the movement and tactics. This is where the actual lower ranked players need to start identifying that these skills exist and attempt to learn from it. Sadly it's a bit like hazing in some ways but at the current moment they've gotta deal :x

And, yes, they DO keep making alts. Many players with alts have more than one alt. In another thread someone pointed out that the current trend among the S+ pool is to create an alt for each weapon and try to reach S+ with it. When they get to S+ with that weapon they create a new alt and learn a new weapon with it. So they're taking S+ knowledge, tactics, map awareness, and movesets into lower ranks where they're not the ace with that weapon that they were with other weapons, but they're still playing a whole different playstyle than everyone else in those ranks knows. Depending on how frequently and with how many weaposn they do this you could easily have a dozen or more players scattered through various ranks that are all actually the same S+ player.
TBH I'd definitely do that for my L-3 because as you could see I'm close to maxing it out in terms of points. I wish they'd raise the points cap because I don't like the idea of not knowing how much more I've turfed once I hit 999999p with the L-3. This is also what made me move on to other weapons months ago (yes I hit 989870 very long ago :x).

Hehe, oh losing streaks are real. Many threads we've tried to figure out it. The best I can say is for one reason or another some players, I'm one of them, seem to get slotted into some "player value hell" where we're constantly matched on teams destined to lose. back to back, no matter the lobby. And then suddenly it does a 180 and the matches become easy again all the way up, before flipping back the other way. One of my many theories is, how they always say they match based on playstyle etc. I wonder if some us perform in such a way or win with such teams that the system slots us as "team carrier role" players and often assigns us the underdog team because it's determined we "even the odds" against the more solid team (which seldom works.) There's also a day/time of day factor. I've found, often, Sunday evenings, the A ranks are brutal and seem to consist mostly of alts. Not all weeks but it seems more often to be sunday than not. Suddenly the A's consist of S/S+ strategies and speeds, and I get very good teams who are just not as good as the amazingly good other team. Then a day or two later it reverts back and the A's are back to A's with teams that don't know how to push against perfectly normal other teams. There's a weird dichotomy in the ranks. Sunday I won 3 of about 20 matches. These weren't bad games, my team didn't play badly, they played quite well. They defended an early lead most of the game then got overwhelmed, me along with them. I wasn't playing badly in fact I was playing better than usual, picking up a few tricks for CQC elitering, and in the few I won, I was the one that put the score on the board. But the opponents were simply better than us in almost every round. Keep in mind these were good games, with "fun losses" aside from the loss in rank points. Which is what's so sad about the loss of rank points. It doesn't reward extremely well fought games any different from getting steamrolled. Then the past two days I win/lose about half of the few I've played - they are much slower games played at lower level than those Sunday games (int he same rank!) and my teams seem fairly clueless and unable to push. Which group represents A? They're definitely two different tiers.
The current pools of ranked play certainly isn't always accurate. As you've noted, you could see two different standards of A ranked players or even S ranked players. Which is why I'm not very hung up on the letter itself. For me it's all about the quality of the play within and whether I can learn something out of it (like your CQC Liter :D).

About losing points despite good play, that's exactly what happens in fighting game tournaments haha! Competition is a harsh thing, it's how reality is.

In one set I'm an equal member of a competent team that is clearly an inferior team overall to the other. In the other set I'm the "carrier" for the incompetent team (with eliter??) against a very averagely capable opposing team. Where it's interesting is that it's not random in different lobbies. It will consistently match me the same way until it decides to reverse how it matches me. the losing streaks are real but for some reason not all players seem to be affected by it. I can only assume there's something about the metrics for certain players that triggers that loop or somehow otherwise "confuses" the system about how it should be matching you. if you're one of those people it's really best to just accept that it is what it is and ignore what it does with you as best you can.
Oh I definitely can believe that maybe some players have figured out how to game the matchmaking algorithms or something. I remember there was a time when I kept getting the same weapons being placed into my team to the point that I got really fedup and had to keep changing lobby every game.

Smaller points just make sense. it makes any rank change consist of far larger sample data and gives time to offset any win/lose streak with an equal streak the other way to get a better balance of where your trends really sit. As is it consists of FAR too little sample data and allows rank changes far too easily to forge momentum in the wrong direction.
Hmm, yea I think you're right on this, though I haven't really put much thought into it. Would be nice if Nintendo did make changes to it!

I'm AWFUL at fighting games :) But just using the matchmaking system example SF is a lot more balanced in that it does retain your player/weapon value differently. it also has more sophisticated player metrics than a mere win/lose/playstyle so the odds of getting such bad matches are lower. Additional it's of course not team based, so if you lost the match, you lost the match, not being let down by others messing up. that also makes it easier for it to assign better matches because your results are your own, not 1/4 of the actual result ;)
IIRC, there are no metrics for matchmaking in SF4 besides choosing to search for people who are lower than you, roughly the same or higher. They're trying more with SFV I think. Also I don't think the word you wanted was 'balanced'. Probably more like 'accurate'. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom