Are rollers less used these days?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Quick temporary reply: I assume it was Turf Wars? Were there even any Splat Rollers? Cause if so, your observations are corroborating what I said: a dearth of Splat Rollers in TW.
I still see a lot of Splat Rollers. However, I mostly see them used by Japanese players; rarely do I see a Splat Roller user (besides people in the singl-sigit levels) who doesn't have kana in their names or is obviously otherwise Japanese (names like "shinji" or names that end with a bunch of w's or "-matsu," the latter due to the explosion in popularity of Mr. Osomatsu). They tend to play at least decently, getting both a sizable amount of turf inked and a good amount of splats.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I still see a lot of Splat Rollers. However, I mostly see them used by Japanese players; rarely do I see a Splat Roller user (besides people in the singl-sigit levels) who doesn't have kana in their names or is obviously otherwise Japanese (names like "shinji" or names that end with a bunch of w's or "-matsu," the latter due to the explosion in popularity of Mr. Osomatsu). They tend to play at least decently, getting both a sizable amount of turf inked and a good amount of splats.
What are the "w's" at the end for?

I just assumed players with Phonetic names were all Western players, and the ones with Romanized Japanese sounding names were simply "Japanophile" Westerners or Japanese living elsewhere. It never occurred to me that some of those are in Japan too. If so, I play with even less Westerners than I thought! The obvious "emily" "shane" etc. we an presume are kids are the exceptions. Or the ones with real jerk-sounding names "*g-munny$" :rolleyes:

How about carbons & dynamos - similar all-Japanese profile, or mixed?

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I see rollers with japanese players the most too.. I think that the people that have a name like Aki-chan or Shinya or ___Matsu are just people who like Japan a lot! Some of them might be japanese tho but only a few of them probably :D

Award

I see rollers with japanese players the most too.. I think that the people that have a name like Aki-chan or Shinya or ___Matsu are just people who like Japan a lot! Some of them might be japanese tho but only a few of them probably :D
That's what I always presumed as well. Though I did notice recently that Japanese Wii U's can enter Phonetic alphabet characters as well - I'll see Japanese with kana names, but with a Phonetic clan tag. I didn't know that was possible before.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
That's what I always presumed as well. Though I did notice recently that Japanese Wii U's can enter Phonetic alphabet characters as well - I'll see Japanese with kana names, but with a Phonetic clan tag. I didn't know that was possible before.
Oh It`s possible. Just takes a bit more time :D

Award

Oh It`s possible. Just takes a bit more time :D
I have no idea how Nintendo managed to fit all those alphabets in a usable way and still be usable on the Gamepad! I think Japanese Wii U's can use Kanji, Katakana, Hiragana, AND apparently Phonetic! And I thought Phonetic barely fit on the screen! :p

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
What are the "w's" at the end for?

I just assumed players with Phonetic names were all Western players, and the ones with Romanized Japanese sounding names were simply "Japanophile" Westerners or Japanese living elsewhere. It never occurred to me that some of those are in Japan too. If so, I play with even less Westerners than I thought! The obvious "emily" "shane" etc. we an presume are kids are the exceptions. Or the ones with real jerk-sounding names "*g-munny$" :rolleyes:

How about carbons & dynamos - similar all-Japanese profile, or mixed?
"w" is short for "warai," which means "laugh." The w's are Japan's equivalent of "LOL." The more w's there are, the funnier the thing is to that person.

"How about them apples? w" versus "That was hilarious! wwwwwww"

If you look at Nico Nico Douga videos, you'll see a lot of comments full of these w's at the end.

It can be hard to tell, sometimes, a Japanese player from a western Japanophile though. But from what I see during Splatfests, it's not that common for someone to put a Japanese name as their handle, especially not ones like "Tomoya" or "Yusuke" where there aren't many anime or game characters with that name but it's fairly common in real life. And then there is the Japanese Americanophile somewhere in between, which I'm sure comes up from time to time too. It's a niche group, Japan's equivalent of the hardcore anime fans here, who can name you the last ten TV voice roles Jennifer Hale has done or the entire cast of Fish Police.

Award

"w" is short for "warai," which means "laugh." The w's are Japan's equivalent of "LOL." The more w's there are, the funnier the thing is to that person.

"How about them apples? w" versus "That was hilarious! wwwwwww"

If you look at Nico Nico Douga videos, you'll see a lot of comments full of these w's at the end.

It can be hard to tell, sometimes, a Japanese player from a western Japanophile though. But from what I see during Splatfests, it's not that common for someone to put a Japanese name as their handle, especially not ones like "Tomoya" or "Yusuke" where there aren't many anime or game characters with that name but it's fairly common in real life. And then there is the Japanese Americanophile somewhere in between, which I'm sure comes up from time to time too. It's a niche group, Japan's equivalent of the hardcore anime fans here, who can name you the last ten TV voice roles Jennifer Hale has done or the entire cast of Fish Police.

Ohh, that's interesting! It makes sense. Do they use the western "w" character, or the kana that looks kind of "w-ish"?

Also interesting. All this time I've assumed all these players were just Japanophiles and was amazed at just how much of the Ninendo fanbase just loooves everything Japanese enough to have Japanese sounding handles. It's a revelation that a lot of these are really just Japanese players using only Phonetic alphabet characters in their handles. So strike any comments in other threads where I say I see some Western players. Apparently it's about half as many as I thought.

My favorite Japanese player name I've seen so far was all kana, except with "mario" in phonetic at the end. :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Some moments from those videos were so weird. You clearly hit them and they didn`t die...You`re really good with the rollers btw
The one where I hit Michael is definitely a lag problem. The rest are related to not hitting down the center, which we've basically ranted about haha. Thanks for the compliment! I hope you got something out of those few videos (specifcally the turfing technique). Do take note that most of the opponents in those videos weren't very strong whilst my team tended to be competent.

Also, Splat Roller was pretty much my first main weapon since the testfires so I've got a good history behind it, blending my newfound knowledge when learning Dynamos (after the nerfs) with Splat Rollers helped a lot too! I'm at best average with the Carbons and Krak-On, I've mainly put effort into the Splat Roller and the Dynamo.

Award

The one where I hit Michael is definitely a lag problem. The rest are related to not hitting down the center, which we've basically ranted about haha. Thanks for the compliment! I hope you got something out of those few videos (specifcally the turfing technique). Do take note that most of the opponents in those videos weren't very strong whilst my team tended to be competent.

Also, Splat Roller was pretty much my first main weapon since the testfires so I've got a good history behind it, blending my newfound knowledge when learning Dynamos (after the nerfs) with Splat Rollers helped a lot too! I'm at best average with the Carbons and Krak-On, I've mainly put effort into the Splat Roller and the Dynamo.
I still find it curious how common it is in the Splatoon world to say things like "I main splat roller, but am average with krak-on" Same is said often about splattershot and tentatek "oh but tentatek kills so fast." It's the same flipping weapon! It doesn't kill any faster than the other one! People talk like the main weapon has different attributes, when they really mean they've figured out more strategies with one kit combination than with another. </petpieve>

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa

Dynamos can be difficult to use. But once there`s a good dynamo every player will just stay away from them xD I`m starting to like the carbon and soon I`ll have 100000 inked with it. That will be my 4th roller with over 100000 (yes I`m obsessed with rollers..)

Award

Dynamos can be difficult to use. But once there`s a good dynamo every player will just stay away from them xD I`m starting to like the carbon and soon I`ll have 100000 inked with it. That will be my 4th roller with over 100000 (yes I`m obsessed with rollers..)
It took me a long time to get into carbon. At first I hated it and couldn't understand anyone playing it. Then someone told me to try it based on my style, and it sounded good, but still seemed awful. But the more time I spent with it the more I liked it and it ended up a main :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I still find it curious how common it is in the Splatoon world to say things like "I main splat roller, but am average with krak-on" Same is said often about splattershot and tentatek "oh but tentatek kills so fast." It's the same flipping weapon! It doesn't kill any faster than the other one! People talk like the main weapon has different attributes, when they really mean they've figured out more strategies with one kit combination than with another. </petpieve>
I think maybe it's cause those people and I have made the same mistake of not elaborating why.

Whilst the main weapon is most definitely the same thing, the subs and specials cannot be ignored. It'd generally be a pain to type out something like "The Inkzooka with the Tentatek lets me kill snipers so fast while I close off an avenue with the suction bomb!" every time when making their point.

In my case with the Krak-On, I'm not exactly amazing at popping krakens for the kill and I have yet to really come up with amazing ways to use beakons (I have a rough idea but not what I'd call optimal). Not that I'm amazing at killer wail placements with Splat Roller yet, but I can definitely play a mean suction bomb game nowadays, forcing enemies to move in ways that I want them to and more.

I think you'll just have to get used to people referring to the loadout by the main weapon's name, just like when people say "I hate .96 Gal Deco!". Of course there are people who say "I hate that Gal with the walls and kraken so much!" too.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Haha not every player for sure! Dynamos are probably a charger's favourite prey. Personally as long as the weapon I'm using has a decent midrange I won't hesitate to take out the Dynamo. Simply because their turfing ability makes them a threat to me.

Hmm, I have three rollers exceeding 100.000p at this point: Splat, Krak-On and Dynamo. My Carbons are pretty low :x

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I am falling deep into the roller hell I bought the carbon deco..

Award

I am falling deep into the roller hell I bought the carbon deco..
LOL, there's some devastating Deco users out there... Personally I think it's kind of map dependent, it's really difficult to use on small maps with lots of obstructions, but the seeker trails can be VERY effective for flanking if used well!

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Been using the splat roller today (not that i haven't used it before, just used it a lot today). It's fun. Definitely not something i'd get invested in though. Also i would highly reccomend using damage up. At least a main and a sub. There were many times i directed an opponent but didn't kill because a few splashes went a stray. Overal, fun weapon. I had no idea how satisfying it was to one shot with this thing.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Been using the splat roller today (not that i haven't used it before, just used it a lot today). It's fun. Definitely not something i'd get invested in though. Also i would highly reccomend using damage up. At least a main and a sub. There were many times i directed an opponent but didn't kill because a few splashes went a stray. Overal, fun weapon. I had no idea how satisfying it was to one shot with this thing.
I sometimes use the damage up (on the carbons mostly) but for me swim speed up is more important. And yes rollers are so fun :D

Award

I sometimes use the damage up (on the carbons mostly) but for me swim speed up is more important. And yes rollers are so fun :D
Dmg up is good for burst bombs if you're a bad aim with them, but I'd rather spend that slot on bomb range up so I can get more range on my little roller. Also in splat zones it's fun to paint the zone with burst bombs :)

I also tend to prefer Ninja Squid on my carbon which then takes a lot of swim speeds to recover the speed loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom