• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Are rollers less used these days?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
If you ink every tiny spot, it's going to take too long. It's much more efficient to go after the biggest areas of enemy ink, which will usually be towards the opponent's side of the stage. For instance:

splatoon13115a.jpg

If I were to cover every last spot seen on this screenshot in green ink, it would take me the remaining 50 seconds of the match just to do it. As you can see on the status up top, my team is already in Danger! status. They need my help elsewhere.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
If you ink every tiny spot, it's going to take too long. It's much more efficient to go after the biggest areas of enemy ink, which will usually be towards the opponent's side of the stage. For instance:

View attachment 2689

If I were to cover every last spot seen on this screenshot in green ink, it would take me the remaining 50 seconds of the match just to do it. As you can see on the status up top, my team is already in Danger! status. They need my help elsewhere.
Not sure if you're replying to my post but I'll just repeat that I said team mates with good turfing weapons ought to be covering the tiny enemy spots. If your entire team consists of rollers, then hopefully at least one of you takes the initiative.

Yes, you're correct, ideally fighting for the largest patches of enemy inked turf is the most efficient, but you're ignoring the possibility that if your team members get ambushed on the way there because of negligence, you get even less time to do that.

I also mentioned in another discussion with @Award that overextending into the enemy base gives them more 'ammo' to retaliate towards the end and it usually leads to defeat (the times when it doesn't is because the enemy team has disconnections, newbies or squid party-goers). I've seen it happen so many times, even in the recent Splatoon Koshien Kanto qualifiers Team SSG made that mistake. If you need a detailed breakdown on why that happens I'll be glad to elaborate.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future

View attachment 2689

And the problem with covering it all (and the exploit about ink) I mentioned is that the camper would NOT be hiding in that big patch in the bottom right corner. I'd expect to be careful of that patch and need to ink it. That one's not a threat. The camper would be hiding on the little spot on the ledge in the center at the top, or the little spot on the half-ramp's front, or the little spot on the ground below the half-ramp. Or the little spatters on the ledge of the big ramp going down. Worse, they will move between any of these locations randomly, so if you stop to ink ONE of them, you're likely to get jumped from behind from one of the other ones. I've tried cleaning up the campgrounds last time this happened on arowanna, but any time you stop to clean the spots (and you have to do so linearly because you don't know if any of them house the enemy) you're also being predictable. The only REAL way to fix the problem would be to rush out as a team, so if they kill one they can't get both in time. But without communication....

If an ink patch had to be squid-size to fit a squid, it wouldn't be a problem. Players would take not of squid sized ink patches. But as it is you can't note every single drop of ink.

Ew, this just made me think I bet these guys use inkstrike weapons to create the smattering of ink they use to hide in. That means you have to clean every drop of every inkstrike every time. Or worse, bomb rushes.

Award

I've been learning the charger class lately (E-Liter at the moment :D) and I'll just say that being able to OHKO on an E-Liter half charge is definitely not a good idea. I'll talk more about this in our Custom Hydra discussion :D
Yay, that thread's been way too silent! :)

I did skim through most of the posts, just that everything said is mostly just confirming what I said on page 1 so I saw no need to discuss it much more. I still think it's a legitimate tactic and I know what you mean about the small space. Yes it might indeed be an oversight on the developer's part but that's just us assuming things.
It makes sense to me why they implemented it the way they did from a pragmatic standpoint. As best as I can tell the center of the squid counts as the squid's position for ink "hitbox" purposes. The design makes sense to make edge detection simple for ledges, wall climbs, and contact with the border of enemy ink were each "cubic unit" of ink has ink value that can mesh with the center of the squid at merely a few pixels wide. I doubt they ever expected people would think of ways to hide squids in smaller-than-squid ink dots and camp there. Splatoon's an entirely new concept and all the little strategic exploits could not be thought of in planning meetings and two simple "test fire" events. People are more devious than you can ever account for in a brainstorming session. :rolleyes: The result is the same though, it's an illogical gameplay element that will make sense to the most devious but not to most players and creates a severe imbalance not based on skill or strategy but how devious you are and now deep you look to break the overt rules.

Counting cards is a "legitimate tactic" at the poker table, too. You're not cheating or rigging the deck or modifying cards, you're using what's made available to you in the game and an uncommon mental ability you possess. Purely your own wits. It's prohibited in the rules and very seriously punished if caught because it breaks the game (which was already rigged in favor of the house, but that's a different matter.) ;)

Whilst I do understand your basketball analogy, I'm not very familiar with the rules there so I'm not going to comment much on that. Instead, I have a few (rhetorical) questions and points:
Technically I loathe sports and know little myself - but where valid analogies exist it's useful since Splatoon uses a sports model for it's rules system ;)

• Why are there a few stray puddles of ink in your territory? The ones that they can hide in ought to be turfed by anyone with a good inking weapon but usually they're too busy rushing out. Yes I know it can't be helped, there's no command to tell your team mates to "Please turf properly" :(
That's the problem with the "exploit" of small ink. Any inkstrike, bomb rush, or firefight will lead to stray dots of ink all over. These guys bombard your base with inkstrikes constantly. If you stop to clean every inkstrike in detail, you yield mid to them. Even if you are diligent about turfing, stray spots will exist everywhere. And each time they attack, they create more. And some spots just do not want to be turfed by any weapon unless you sit there pointing at your feet like a lv2.

Team mates not turfing properly is a problem but with these little patches, even if I'm turfing (admittedly with a bad weapon for the job) I'll ignore things that small or out of the way. The thing is, if you turf THAT meticulously, you'd lose almost every round that doesn't have one of these campers.

If someone got ambushed on the way out, I'd assume the next time they respawn, they'd take precautions to ink those enemy splotches in advance so as to not get ambushed as well as not let their team mates get ambushed, you need to remember if the ninja is lying in wait there for 40 seconds like you said, that's 40 seconds of not turfing for his team, it's also detrimental for his team.
Not if he's penned in your whole team! As I said, cousin of the spawncamper :) He waits for the rest of his team to splat your team at least once (and other than eliters and hydras, maybe, who doesn't get splatted at least once?) then he keeps your team contained near your spawn. It IS a spawncamp, just approached differently.

And usually he's moving between splotches like I said, so if you stop to ink the ones where you just got killed, he'll get you from an adjacent one you may or may not know was there.

This is annoying and, honestly, an exploit even with brushes, but I'm more accepting of it with brushes since they have less options than rollers. I still feel it's a serious exploit in the game though. However I've also found brushes are more likely to use this tactic in mid than camping near spawn. Maybe because they know their rate of movement allowing them to be all over the map is their greatest asset rather than camping.

• Why aren't your team mates super jumping out? If everyone is trapped in the base and getting ambushed on the way out, it means no one is paying attention.
Super jumping out is what got them killed and then penned into spawn to begin with most likely ;) My team mates like to die. A lot. BUT, the trick with that ambush spawncamper is that it usually takes being splatted more than once to figure out what is going on. Once you presume you were in the wrong place. Next time you're diligent, then they come from another direction/location. At this point you have caught on and try to outsmart him, he gets you again from another location you didn't know he could be. By now your whole team has been killed in the field elsewhere and is similarly penned in.

If you have a weapon like eliter you're in bigger trouble. If you have a sniper on the team you can SJ to, you're ok. If you ARE the sniper, you're in trouble. If you do not have a sniper to jump to, I would never ever recommend super jumping. I'll do it very rarely when I'm pretty sure the person I'm jumping to is in a safe place. 50% of those times that turned out not to be a safe place. 10% of those times, I'll save the day by having jumped in anyway out of dumb luck. If you try to flush these guys out with sniper rounds, they just move over to the next blotch of ink you couldn't ink. In most of these situations though, there's no one to jump to. And if I manage to break free no one will jump to me. Sometimes one will, but without enough time on the clock. TWICE we've actually fully reversed the camp and won.

But on the whole I never accept SJ'ing as a viable option because very rarely is it safe to do so when your team is not in the lead or when you're fully spawncamped and see a team mate freely inking enemy turf.

Why are you getting spawncamped? As irritating as spawncamping is (I dislike being spawncamped too, what a hopeless feeling it is at times), it is a legitimate strategy that occurs because my entire team is either ill-equiped to deal with the other team (a team full of Krak-Ons vs a team of 0.96 decos for example) or my team mates are simply not used to dealing with the situation: they're just all running off on their own panicking and getting killed without thinking.
Many times it's a situation where there's just a far superior player on the other team that cleans up mid and either runs the spawncamp or clears the way for minions to do it. That's usually not the stealth camper situations though but the overt spawncampers. Most of the time, I've observed since you mentioned it, it's the situation where the team overextends. After you pointed that out I've seen it so often. Just the past few days in Mall and Hammerhead I've seen so many times, we had a great start, had mid secure right away, kept repelling the enemy successfully, had the entirity of mid to ourselves, up to the start of the enemy base for over half the match. This game should have been a lock. And then they decide to press forward into the enemy base. And then I see them SJ'ing back to me in waves. And then inevitably several enemies come my way. I'll miss a shot. Maybe two, they can steamroll past me, and then they take mid. If it's early enough in the game, they then take our base.

The worst of the spawncamps though happen in the first minute. They rush in, grab it, and never let go.

But all of that is the overt campers. These stealth ones go it alone. They set up while everyone else is out in mid, and as your team get's picked off by allies, they box them in one by one.

• Why doesn't anyone wear the Recon ability? You can see where everyone is on the map at your spawn point.
I've considered using that with my CEliter setup. The problem with recon is it wastes a slot that is otherwise more useful for other things including Cold Blooded and armor up at high level. and is useful only situationally, and useless for most weapons. CEliter is probably the only weapon it offers serious potential on. Maybe Sploosh, too. But then for CEliter I'd have to give up either swim speed or dmg up. Dmg up can't be sacrificed on eliter. Swim speed maybe can, but it's very useful for the kraken and getting to perches. And I can't get rid of quick SJ since that's vital to how I'd intend to use recon to begin with. But I do want to give it a try.

But again it's situational. Most games you won't need it or have time for it. And wasting a slot on an ability useful only "if a game goes a certain way" makes for trouble. Same for haunt.

Worse, even if someone is wearing recon, that requires the person with recon to be on the spawn (meaning they're also trapped) and requires the one with recon to be a weapon capable of dealing with the problem, and most of the weapons that get the most from recon are exactly the ones that can't.

Edit: In almost any game, there will exist strategies that work better than others. When a strategy cannot be properly or reliably countered, then it may be considered an exploit and the rules probably need changing so that the balance isn't skewed badly because the least interesting kind of competition is the kind where one method dominates over every other.
I think strategies that "hope" someone has point sensors, or haunt/recon, or a charged echo are exploits - you can't counter it unless your team just so happens to have one of the right pieces of gear or weapons out of the vast array of possible choices. I think the ink splotch thing is the real problem, but maybe getting rid of "recon" and making the spawn ALWAYS recon could address the issue too.

When you ARE another carbon roller it's a problem as well because at best you just end up trading with them. if they SJ to their team they can be in place again around the same time you are.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
It makes sense to me why they implemented it the way they did from a pragmatic standpoint. As best as I can tell the center of the squid counts as the squid's position for ink "hitbox" purposes. The design makes sense to make edge detection simple for ledges, wall climbs, and contact with the border of enemy ink were each "cubic unit" of ink has ink value that can mesh with the center of the squid at merely a few pixels wide. I doubt they ever expected people would think of ways to hide squids in smaller-than-squid ink dots and camp there. Splatoon's an entirely new concept and all the little strategic exploits could not be thought of in planning meetings and two simple "test fire" events. People are more devious than you can ever account for in a brainstorming session. :rolleyes: The result is the same though, it's an illogical gameplay element that will make sense to the most devious but not to most players and creates a severe imbalance not based on skill or strategy but how devious you are and now deep you look to break the overt rules.

Counting cards is a "legitimate tactic" at the poker table, too. You're not cheating or rigging the deck or modifying cards, you're using what's made available to you in the game and an uncommon mental ability you possess. Purely your own wits. It's prohibited in the rules and very seriously punished if caught because it breaks the game (which was already rigged in favor of the house, but that's a different matter.) ;)
Hmm, have you tried seeing what's the minimal amount of ink required for a squid to hide in? I know it's possible to hide at that little ledge up the two walls near the base on Camp Triggerfish when 1 minute is left. But in the firing range, I tried hiding and the best I could do is in the same size that an ink mine occupies.

Yea some things are definitely not intended by the developers. Ideally they're observing data and still testing on their side to consider if such a thing is 'broken' in their opinion.

That's the problem with the "exploit" of small ink. Any inkstrike, bomb rush, or firefight will lead to stray dots of ink all over. These guys bombard your base with inkstrikes constantly. If you stop to clean every inkstrike in detail, you yield mid to them. Even if you are diligent about turfing, stray spots will exist everywhere. And each time they attack, they create more. And some spots just do not want to be turfed by any weapon unless you sit there pointing at your feet like a lv2.

Team mates not turfing properly is a problem but with these little patches, even if I'm turfing (admittedly with a bad weapon for the job) I'll ignore things that small or out of the way. The thing is, if you turf THAT meticulously, you'd lose almost every round that doesn't have one of these campers.
The game is generally more dynamic than we are making it sound though, I'll try to illustrate a possible example:

Let's say the enemy has one ninja squid (could be carbon or sploosh or any effective ninja type) that constantly lies in wait in small ink puddles on your side. That means the enemy team is pretty much playing a 3v4 in terms of turfing.

Assuming your team is competent, you should be able to gain and hold more turf than the enemy for the entire time that ninja is inactive. The main times that ninja style allows their team to win is by killing a lot more squids on the way out than is normal. They'd at least need to reliably kill one squid each time it respawns on the way out effectively making it a 3v3.

So let me ask this: if someone (doesn't have to be the same squid) is getting killed on his way past a certain area on the way out, don't they leave behind a big puddle of enemy ink? If they do, shouldn't any of his team mates be aware that someone is getting killed in their own territory? If you think about it, the ambushing squid needs to keep relocating to maintain the element of surprise unless he has an utterly superior position that lets him block off that route immediately. Eg. The side corridor on Urchin Underpass with the grate. I used a Jet Squelcher and plopped down a splash wall right in front of it thus effectively blocking off singular squids without the right loadout there. The only time I could be driven off is when two squids came to me (and I could sometimes kill both too). My team was handling the usual mid section and I'm constantly checking my back for potential enemies.

My point is, the campy ambush style only works if the rest of the ninja's team can capitalize. If the other 3 are getting their turfing-***** kicked then that one ambusher isn't really doing anything at all. Also, general awareness of such tactics like I mentioned is important. Always keep an eye on what enemies you see out in the field and note if you haven't seen a particular one, that usually is a good time to check your base.

My best advice is this, try playing that campy ambush style vs a good team or have a friend play that style and see how your team counters it. Then again, you only said it's dishonorable (and I think ninjas were condemned for that back in medieval Japan haha!)

EDIT: Finally wrote it, might make some more edits if I think it's needed :)

Not if he's penned in your whole team! As I said, cousin of the spawncamper :) He waits for the rest of his team to splat your team at least once (and other than eliters and hydras, maybe, who doesn't get splatted at least once?) then he keeps your team contained near your spawn. It IS a spawncamp, just approached differently.
Then something is going really wrong if 3 of the enemy wipes out 4 of you while this ninja is waiting at your base, not to mention, I already addressed this part when I said if your whole team moves out and gets ambushed together, that means no one is paying attention (at this point I think I can safely suggest that most players don't look at the gamepad map enough).

And usually he's moving between splotches like I said, so if you stop to ink the ones where you just got killed, he'll get you from an adjacent one you may or may not know was there.
I feel like this is ignoring the really short flick range of the Carbon rollers. The weapons that might have trouble inking the splotches from a relatively safe distance would be SSJs (use splat bombs or disruptors to flush out suspicious spots), Aerosprays ought to be fine with how they cover turf.

See, if the rest of your team is at least of a decent level, ideally there would be at least one squid out there near the mid, which you can SJ to. If your team mates are newbies, they'd typically be moving out with you from spawn point together, which isn't really what a Carbon can handle unless he's got an inkzooka ready and even then that requires all of you to be bunched up tightly (Port Mackerel corridors).

This is annoying and, honestly, an exploit even with brushes, but I'm more accepting of it with brushes since they have less options than rollers. I still feel it's a serious exploit in the game though. However I've also found brushes are more likely to use this tactic in mid than camping near spawn. Maybe because they know their rate of movement allowing them to be all over the map is their greatest asset rather than camping.
The reason these weapons use these tactics is obvious, they can't win in a head on fight. Just like why Splooshes love to keep invading and planting beakons and then coming at you from behind. Getting infiltrated in this game is a reality (and I think it's interesting, even if it can get annoying if you're not properly equipped to deal with it).

Super jumping out is what got them killed and then penned into spawn to begin with most likely ;) My team mates like to die. A lot. BUT, the trick with that ambush spawncamper is that it usually takes being splatted more than once to figure out what is going on. Once you presume you were in the wrong place. Next time you're diligent, then they come from another direction/location. At this point you have caught on and try to outsmart him, he gets you again from another location you didn't know he could be. By now your whole team has been killed in the field elsewhere and is similarly penned in.
Do remember that you get a killcam (assuming you're not stacking QR for that zombie mode) so the Carbon at least needs to pretend to stay in the same place until he sees your squid icon at the top light up again. If he's near base, that gives him little time to relocate. I started out annoyed with these tactics but got used to them because I played for like more than a week with a group of people, one of them was basically a ninja carbon, though he didn't tend to camp near the spawn, he'd generally be in the places where their ink was most prominent, swimming in it like a shark which you can't see and then OHKOing you anytime he could. Also uses burst bombs like a main weapon. I thought of how to deal with him and I did, with a variety of weapons no less.

If you have a weapon like eliter you're in bigger trouble. If you have a sniper on the team you can SJ to, you're ok. If you ARE the sniper, you're in trouble. If you do not have a sniper to jump to, I would never ever recommend super jumping. I'll do it very rarely when I'm pretty sure the person I'm jumping to is in a safe place. 50% of those times that turned out not to be a safe place. 10% of those times, I'll save the day by having jumped in anyway out of dumb luck. If you try to flush these guys out with sniper rounds, they just move over to the next blotch of ink you couldn't ink. In most of these situations though, there's no one to jump to. And if I manage to break free no one will jump to me. Sometimes one will, but without enough time on the clock. TWICE we've actually fully reversed the camp and won.
Like I mentioned, the general meta and skill/experience of the player base is still growing. Ideally you're already watching the killcam + your gamepad map to see which team mate you could SJ to (if any) during your down time. This also means you ought to be tapping them during that time and hopefully they're experienced enough to realize that it means they should secure your landing spot (if they can). Not to mention, stealth jump exists, even if most of us not using stealth weapons ignore it.

But on the whole I never accept SJ'ing as a viable option because very rarely is it safe to do so when your team is not in the lead or when you're fully spawncamped and see a team mate freely inking enemy turf.
To get spawncamped successfully, you typically are being boxed in by 2-3 competent players. If that lone team mate out there is not aware that he's only dealing with 1-2 squids out in the open and is getting recklessly killed, then he's your weak link (I've been that before btw, it happens).

Many times it's a situation where there's just a far superior player on the other team that cleans up mid and either runs the spawncamp or clears the way for minions to do it. That's usually not the stealth camper situations though but the overt spawncampers. Most of the time, I've observed since you mentioned it, it's the situation where the team overextends. After you pointed that out I've seen it so often. Just the past few days in Mall and Hammerhead I've seen so many times, we had a great start, had mid secure right away, kept repelling the enemy successfully, had the entirity of mid to ourselves, up to the start of the enemy base for over half the match. This game should have been a lock. And then they decide to press forward into the enemy base. And then I see them SJ'ing back to me in waves. And then inevitably several enemies come my way. I'll miss a shot. Maybe two, they can steamroll past me, and then they take mid. If it's early enough in the game, they then take our base.

The worst of the spawncamps though happen in the first minute. They rush in, grab it, and never let go.

But all of that is the overt campers. These stealth ones go it alone. They set up while everyone else is out in mid, and as your team get's picked off by allies, they box them in one by one.
I'm a bit lazy to go into detail here but I'll just repeat that if you're getting spawn camped so early and badly, it typically indicates that your team is ill-equipped to deal with the other team (loadout + player skill level) and it's highly possible the enemy team understood that from the round intro where you can see what weapons your team has vs the other team. I was on a team that got boxed in on Walleye by what was essentially a group with a good charger and 3 blasters (Luna, Rapid and something else IIRC). My team was myself on E-liter, a Bamboozler, a charger I think and maybe one turfer. Not really sure how else to describe it except we were boxed in and my team mates were probably panicking.

I've considered using that with my CEliter setup. The problem with recon is it wastes a slot that is otherwise more useful for other things including Cold Blooded and armor up at high level. and is useful only situationally, and useless for most weapons. CEliter is probably the only weapon it offers serious potential on. Maybe Sploosh, too. But then for CEliter I'd have to give up either swim speed or dmg up. Dmg up can't be sacrificed on eliter. Swim speed maybe can, but it's very useful for the kraken and getting to perches. And I can't get rid of quick SJ since that's vital to how I'd intend to use recon to begin with. But I do want to give it a try.
That's more of a perspective problem: you can't see the value of having recon so you feel it's a waste. I mean, you just said it probably has the most potential on CE-Liter. Let me give you a few examples of how I've used it:
  • Krak-On where I recon and plant beakons accordingly, then SJ in with a Kraken ready to take out targets, yes it takes more time but it's the very definition of precision targeting.
  • Aerospray RG + Quick Super Jumps: I earn my specials quick and often, SJ back to inkstrike squids who will get trapped with my inkstrike placement. It's still possible to do by squatting in a corner and observing the map, but with my recon style I've managed to kill 3 squids at one go on Camp Triggerfish (they were all in the wrong place at the wrong time)
  • Bubbler weapons where I identify locations where a team mate is pushing against more enemies and SJ in the provide a Bubbler and take down the defenders together
These aren't all the possible examples and they aren't necessarily always the best tactics (depends on map too) but my point is just, get creative! :)

Oh btw, I know what you mean about damage up, personally I play with 1 Damage Up main only. It's personal preference.

But again it's situational. Most games you won't need it or have time for it. And wasting a slot on an ability useful only "if a game goes a certain way" makes for trouble. Same for haunt.

Worse, even if someone is wearing recon, that requires the person with recon to be on the spawn (meaning they're also trapped) and requires the one with recon to be a weapon capable of dealing with the problem, and most of the weapons that get the most from recon are exactly the ones that can't.
Haunt doesn't do as much as cold-blooded (I'd say nothing does as much as cold-blooded for the clothing slot really) and it doesn't help that Haunt kinda gets countered by cold-blooded itself -_-

BUT, haunt still has it's uses. If you want to play an offensive weapon which doesn't come with point sensors, you could play a build that emphasizes dying (QR + Comeback) and anytime you get killed instead, the killer gets located and hopefully your team mates are savvy enough to finish the job. It's also great if you're playing weapons like Hydra or E-Liter and your playstyle is one where you're supporting from the back, Haunt lets your team know if you've been successfully backstabbed by an infiltrator.

I think strategies that "hope" someone has point sensors, or haunt/recon, or a charged echo are exploits - you can't counter it unless your team just so happens to have one of the right pieces of gear or weapons out of the vast array of possible choices. I think the ink splotch thing is the real problem, but maybe getting rid of "recon" and making the spawn ALWAYS recon could address the issue too.

When you ARE another carbon roller it's a problem as well because at best you just end up trading with them. if they SJ to their team they can be in place again around the same time you are.
Actually, that's what TW in randoms is! You either pick a weapons and loadouts unsuited for the current rotation and hope your team mates can support your choice or you be the one to pick the right equipment for the job. Do you know how we feel when we play other weapons on Moray Towers only to find we aren't suited to dealing with that one amazing E-Liter on the other team? Would that be an exploit now?

I'm almost sure you could reply: "But that's a given for Moray, ninja carbon spawn camping can happen on every map!" Well, not every map is like Walleye where the Carbon can literally be right at your doorstep :)

Last edited:

Award

Hmm, have you tried seeing what's the minimal amount of ink required for a squid to hide in? I know it's possible to hide at that little ledge up the two walls near the base on Camp Triggerfish when 1 minute is left. But in the firing range, I tried hiding and the best I could do is in the same size that an ink mine occupies.

Yea some things are definitely not intended by the developers. Ideally they're observing data and still testing on their side to consider if such a thing is 'broken' in their opinion.
Yeah, when my team is the one doing the spawncamping (I refuse to participate) I get lots of time to play around with ink dots in my base :D Also, as a CEliter much of the time, I often don't have time to ink the perch properly before I have ot take a shot, so I'm used to having to squid to refill fast in the little spatter of ink that actually landed there as I approached ;)

It takes VERY little ink to hide. Specifically they probably made the smallest unit of hidable ink the width of the smallest ledge they intend snipers to be able to perch on. It's hard to actually get spatters that tiny in the firing range since it's hard for your own weapon to create them - it's best when the enemy partially covers broader strokes or squidsplosions and ignores a tiny dot. The maximum surface is smaller than the camp triggerfish ledge which is fairly thick. A better example would be the ledge that makes up those "half walls" on each pillar island of Hammerhead Bridge. I often snipe from up on those thin little ledges. That's probably the thinnest one. You might be able to get away with even less however.

I really doubt they considered people walking through enemy ink to hide in dots that small. it kind of breaks the results of inkstrikes and bomb rushes. Even squidsplosions. The problem is I doubt it's something they can fix in Splatoon 1, not overtly. That would be part of the whole inking mechanic, and would be too risky to fix without breaking other more important things.

The game is generally more dynamic than we are making it sound though, I'll try to illustrate a possible example:

Let's say you have one ninja squid,
Cool story.

Then something is going really wrong if 3 of the enemy wipes out 4 of you while this ninja is waiting at your base, not to mention, I already addressed this part when I said if your whole team moves out and gets ambushed together, that means no one is paying attention (at this point I think I can safely suggest that most players don't look at the gamepad map enough).
Oh most players definitely don't look at the map much. To be fair to them, it's weapon dependent. With a carbon roller, I'm not going to have time to look at the map much myself, I likely know where I need to be and I go there and see what's at risk or what needs to be done there. It's different with hydra or eliter where I'm staring at the map as much as the screen. There's too much action and danger to look at the map that often with a carbon roller. We're generally not wiped out together, but if they're wiped out first while I'm elsewhere, it's unlikely they'll jump to me, and if I'm wiped out first, usually they're in unsafe situations that should not be jumped to. And like I said, it usually takes 2-3 splats to figure out what's going on. At first the priority is to clean out the trash in the base before you realize the intensity of the camping. By then it's too late and everyone else is with you.

Though it occurred to me if they're going to resort to spawncamping, there's always the similarly dishonorable "valid tactic" in return. Squidparty on the spawn. Then kill them. :mad::p

I feel like this is ignoring the really short flick range of the Carbon rollers. The weapons that might have trouble inking the splotches from a relatively safe distance would be SSJs (use splat bombs or disruptors to flush out suspicious spots), Aerosprays ought to be fine with how they cover turf.

See, if the rest of your team is at least of a decent level, ideally there would be at least one squid out there near the mid, which you can SJ to. If your team mates are newbies, they'd typically be moving out with you from spawn point together, which isn't really what a Carbon can handle unless he's got an inkzooka ready and even then that requires all of you to be bunched up tightly (Port Mackerel corridors).
Generally in the lobbies I'm in, if there's a squid near mid, they're fighting. If there's no fighting in mid, then my team is in the enemy base fighting, or trapped with me on spawn. Though part of that point is that I often am the squid in mid on the team - so if I got splatted, the midsquid was undid. ;) And, in most of these cases, once the ninja has us captured, the enemy team inked everything else, thus there no longer is a mid.

Keep in mind the Carbon Campers will generally be running stacked run speed, with the exception of ink resist, and possibly cold blooded. They don't need swim speed because they don't swim, they run over your own ink. So two carbon rollers of equal ability, the camper covers more ground faster.)

The reason these weapons use these tactics is obvious, they can't win in a head on fight. Just like why Splooshes love to keep invading and planting beakons and then coming at you from behind. Getting infiltrated in this game is a reality (and I think it's interesting, even if it can get annoying if you're not properly equipped to deal with it).
I don't mind the splooshes. Irritating, yes, but that's the play style. They generally don't camp in your path. I'd disagree that the melee weapons can't win a head-on fight. For inkbrush that might be slightly true, but their advantage is their rediculous above ground mobility in enemy ink. They're arguably the most head-on weapon in the game. Octobrushes have some misleading range to them and that huge arc. Carbon rollers have a ranged weapon on them, be it burst bombs or seekers, Fully using the weapons there's no excuse to say they can't win an open fight. Stealth is advantageous in an attack/ambush, but it's not an excuse to have to camp. There's a big difference between lurking/ambushing/flanking and genuinely camping. I'd love to face the campers in a head-on fight, same weapon in hand, and see just how bad they really are at using their weapon when they don't resort to camping. Camping is what you do when you know you don't have the skill to win (or escape) an open fight.

Why do you think they put lasers on the chargers? Specifically so that they're always fighting in the open despite their campy nature so they're not blindly attacking from nowhere. Even if they hide their laser, when they shoot you, it still gives the killcam a straight line to their operating area.

Do remember that you get a killcam (assuming you're not stacking QR for that zombie mode) so the Carbon at least needs to pretend to stay in the same place until he sees your squid icon at the top light up again. If he's near base, that gives him little time to relocate. I started out annoyed with these tactics but got used to them because I played for like more than a week with a group of people, one of them was basically a ninja carbon, though he didn't tend to camp near the spawn, he'd generally be in the places where their ink was most prominent, swimming in it like a shark which you can't see and then OHKOing you anytime he could. Also uses burst bombs like a main weapon. I thought of how to deal with him and I did, with a variety of weapons no less.
Yeah, I only do the QR/Comeback stack for running aggro in TC :) And, yes, they do seem to pretend to stay in the same place, or you see them walk away and go ink something, but when you respawn they've moved to camping somewhere else. I believe they are waiting for your respawn, and with their run speed stack, it gives them enough time to re-camp before you can leave the spawn area enough to see them (remember they're not at your spawn, they're at the exits from it. )

The way you describe the carbon you played with sounds like the way I play carbon (which is to say, the normal way you play carbon if you're not a camping dirtball ;) ) Swimming like a shark within his OWN ink is what carbon does best and going for the ohko. It makes it dangerous for the enemy to approach enemy ink forcing them to be cautious. That's "offensively defensive" but allows increasing your own ink zone between attacks. A very different thing than hiding in stray dots deep in your ENEMY'S ink and waiting for them to walk by. And I also use the burst bombs like a main weapon. I learned how to do it with vanilla eliter, so it transferred over very well! And that's what makes carbon so versatile including head-on. It can lurk in your ink, expand your ink borders fast, inch by inch, and HOLD that territory, while also being a ranged offensive weapon (that guzzles ink.) that's all legit play as designed. Which is very different from the campers.

The way I see it, eliters hold mid from the rear, hydras hold mid from the rear, but can push up into the fray a little better. Carbons hold mid from right at the line of skirmish. But can also push that line forward alone when needed. But it'll never run smack into an an enemy mob like a 52 Gal.

Like I mentioned, the general meta and skill/experience of the player base is still growing. Ideally you're already watching the killcam + your gamepad map to see which team mate you could SJ to (if any) during your down time. This also means you ought to be tapping them during that time and hopefully they're experienced enough to realize that it means they should secure your landing spot (if they can). Not to mention, stealth jump exists, even if most of us not using stealth weapons ignore it.
I can't speak for them. For me, I look at my map, but almost never, ever choose to SJ. Rarely is there a safe squid, and on the occasions where there seems to be, they get jumped right while I'm jumping. SJ is simply rarely a good idea for me, though in part that's because my role usually IS as the safe SJ positioned squid - everybody can't be the one in good positions. As for my teams: If we're spawncamped and I break away, rarely do they jump to me, they just keep fighting at the spawn. In normal play I have some teams that will jump to me properly, some that will not. But in all matches 60% of the time someone jumps to me, it's when I'm standing immediately next to spawn. :rolleyes: Or if they jump to me when I'm sniping, they'll stand in front of me, shooting at my target with an aerospray, getting us both splatted. :p Some of them DO do it right.

To get spawncamped successfully, you typically are being boxed in by 2-3 competent players. If that lone team mate out there is not aware that he's only dealing with 1-2 squids out in the open and is getting recklessly killed, then he's your weak link (I've been that before btw, it happens).
Check the salt thread for the rank makeups of some of my favorite teams. The last one was my favorite of all time: Me, A, B-, unranked v S+, S+, S, S. Amazingly that one was a bad loss but still not a spawncamp. Though yesterday was weird. Both teams full of C & B ranks - but some of these matches were more brutal than matches against S+'s. I'm not sure what happened there. And I couldn't hit ANYTHING with an eliter for a long time - and then was able to hit again. I'm thinking lag maybe on my end or something. (We did have a massively teleporting roller on the other team though.) In MOST TW matches I'm going to have an unranked or C-something rank player on my team. You can guess the weak link from the start.

I'm a bit lazy to go into detail here but I'll just repeat that if you're getting spawn camped so early and badly, it typically indicates that your team is ill-equipped to deal with the other team (loadout + player skill level) and it's highly possible the enemy team understood that from the round intro where you can see what weapons your team has vs the other team. I was on a team that got boxed in on Walleye by what was essentially a group with a good charger and 3 blasters (Luna, Rapid and something else IIRC). My team was myself on E-liter, a Bamboozler, a charger I think and maybe one turfer. Not really sure how else to describe it except we were boxed in and my team mates were probably panicking.
I lucked out yesterday on Mahi - team with 3 eliters and one splatterscope against a mixed team that included 1 eliter. We not only won,but won big. :D But, yeah, I do tend to overlook the weapon mismatches unless one team is obviously lopsided like all chargers or all rollers. (Yeah, all roller teams still happen, they haven't disappeared much at all!)

That's more of a perspective problem: you can't see the value of having recon so you feel it's a waste. I mean, you just said it probably has the most potential on CE-Liter. Let me give you a few examples of how I've used it:
  • Krak-On where I recon and plant beakons accordingly, then SJ in with a Kraken ready to take out targets, yes it takes more time but it's the very definition of precision targeting.
  • Aerospray RG + Quick Super Jumps: I earn my specials quick and often, SJ back to inkstrike squids who will get trapped with my inkstrike placement. It's still possible to do by squatting in a corner and observing the map, but with my recon style I've managed to kill 3 squids at one go on Camp Triggerfish (they were all in the wrong place at the wrong time)
  • Bubbler weapons where I identify locations where a team mate is pushing against more enemies and SJ in the provide a Bubbler and take down the defenders together
These aren't all the possible examples and they aren't necessarily always the best tactics (depends on map too) but my point is just, get creative! :)

Oh btw, I know what you mean about damage up, personally I play with 1 Damage Up main only. It's personal preference.
I think you have a somewhat different playstyle than me, in that, it seems you focus a lot of playstyle on specials given how all of your recon examples involved ideal special usage. :)

I tried recon out yesterday actually, and it was interesting for CElter, but I found I then had to sacrifice either QSJ, Dmg Up, or Swim Speed to use it, and I found I miss any of them too mcuh. QSJ speeds SJ up enough to make flipping between recon and beacon viable, Dmg Up is just too needed, and I've become used to using Swim Speed to be more offensive with the main gun on it. I like the concept, but it's too situational to trade evasive ability or likelihood of landing a shot in exchange for it. If I did it it would be QSJ I'd have to trade for it. But I fear that means I'm missing from the field for too long. Or if my team is doing well it means I'm standing on spawn watching for a long time, and my team probably believes I'm afk which probably doesn't help their play and the combination is likely putting the territory at risk. I'll have to try it again on a map that is NOT Port Mackerel though :p

I should try it with carbon too since I'm still playing with shirts. I had dmg up for a while for burst bombs, but I'm trying 2 bomb range up mains now to see how that plays. Could try recon, though the problem is none of my recon gear has good sub slot rolls. And I'm still kind of uninterested in spending snails on rerolls while I still have slots to unlock (and them seem to be making Splatfests farther between!)

Haunt doesn't do as much as cold-blooded (I'd say nothing does as much as cold-blooded for the clothing slot really) and it doesn't help that Haunt kinda gets countered by cold-blooded itself -_-

BUT, haunt still has it's uses. If you want to play an offensive weapon which doesn't come with point sensors, you could play a build that emphasizes dying (QR + Comeback) and anytime you get killed instead, the killer gets located and hopefully your team mates are savvy enough to finish the job. It's also great if you're playing weapons like Hydra or E-Liter and your playstyle is one where you're supporting from the back, Haunt lets your team know if you've been successfully backstabbed by an infiltrator.
But that would require they pay attention to something other than charging headlong into enemy territory, their own base be darned! :p

Actually, that's what TW in randoms is! You either pick a weapons and loadouts unsuited for the current rotation and hope your team mates can support your choice or you be the one to pick the right equipment for the job. Do you know how we feel when we play other weapons on Moray Towers only to find we aren't suited to dealing with that one amazing E-Liter on the other team? Would that be an exploit now?

I'm almost sure you could reply: "But that's a given for Moray, ninja carbon spawn camping can happen on every map!" Well, not every map is like Walleye where the Carbon can literally be right at your doorstep :)
Nah, the purpose of game balance is to make every weapon a viable choice for every rotation. If it's not, there's a failure of game balance. Splatoon's pretty balanced except for the lobby builder that doesn't seem to do appropriate weapon matchmaking. I'd say the "mismatched weapons" is a game flaw, not a problem of players choosing the "wrong" weapon. There shouldn't be a "wrong" weapon.

Actually I'd reply that Moray's not as much a sniper haven as people give it credit for. It's a very FUN eliter map, true, but it's not so dominated as people tend to believe. Granted a proper lobby builder would make sure if one team has an eltier so does the other. But Carbon roller does exceedingly well there (and it's fun to speed roll the ramps! :D ) Fast short range weapons can get a jump on the perches easily, and the angles of the ramp walls make sniping quite difficult. A sniper can watch mid pretty well, but a sniper is DOOMED if you try to assist a push. I can push the ramps far better with carbon or L3 or DS. So while it's fun shooting fish in a barrel with an eliter on Moray, you're limited to a mostly defensive role there, compared to other maps where you can also become offensive. And the problem is once the main perch is compromised, you're very limited in ability to do anything. It snowballs quickly since the eliter becomes almost helpless on the ramps, so the challenge for an eliter there is you MUST hold mid and can't afford to miss the shot. Arowanna is much more a sniper heaven in fact. But the complaints there aren't as severe for some reason.

Well, Walleye and Mackerel are a special kind of awful ;)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Not sure if you're replying to my post but I'll just repeat that I said team mates with good turfing weapons ought to be covering the tiny enemy spots. If your entire team consists of rollers, then hopefully at least one of you takes the initiative.

Yes, you're correct, ideally fighting for the largest patches of enemy inked turf is the most efficient, but you're ignoring the possibility that if your team members get ambushed on the way there because of negligence, you get even less time to do that.

I also mentioned in another discussion with @Award that overextending into the enemy base gives them more 'ammo' to retaliate towards the end and it usually leads to defeat (the times when it doesn't is because the enemy team has disconnections, newbies or squid party-goers). I've seen it happen so many times, even in the recent Splatoon Koshien Kanto qualifiers Team SSG made that mistake. If you need a detailed breakdown on why that happens I'll be glad to elaborate.
Wait, so you mean there actually IS a use for those kids who walk from tiny spot to tiny spot to ink them and get like 150p by the end of the match?

Award

Wait, so you mean there actually IS a use for those kids who walk from tiny spot to tiny spot to ink them and get like 150p by the end of the match?
:D

It wasn't one of my matches but I saw someone play a match the other day, looked at the screen after the crushing defeat and saw the player at the bottom got a whopping 14p. I immediately assumed this was a disconnect, but then remembered it would read 0. Then I presumed it was someone who was afk, but then noticed their k/d was 0/5. You don't die 5 times afk.

I mean, seriously, how do you not even ACCIDENTALLY press the trigger with the gamepad sitting on your lap to get more than 14p while you're getting shot at 5 times?

Maybe he was fastidiously patrolling for ninja rollers in every 10px x 10px ink spot (and apparently losing to said ninja roller!)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
They have other uses but in general I feel like the ones you're talking about are the obvious clueless kids who don't even know what they're supposed to be doing in the first place. Like they will follow behind me and just stand there watching me do stuff. If you get those, prepare to carry hard (and probably still lose).

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
:D

It wasn't one of my matches but I saw someone play a match the other day, looked at the screen after the crushing defeat and saw the player at the bottom got a whopping 14p. I immediately assumed this was a disconnect, but then remembered it would read 0. Then I presumed it was someone who was afk, but then noticed their k/d was 0/5. You don't die 5 times afk.

I mean, seriously, how do you not even ACCIDENTALLY press the trigger with the gamepad sitting on your lap to get more than 14p while you're getting shot at 5 times?

Maybe he was fastidiously patrolling for ninja rollers in every 10px x 10px ink spot (and apparently losing to said ninja roller!)
Actually, I can safely assume what they were doing...

I've had matches with scores and K/Ds on some team members like that. They are just running off to suicide, attempting to spoil the game: there was this one squid (who I won't name) who kept jumping off upon respawning (I can't remember exactly which stage), then there are those squid party goers who just keep jumping (not super jumping, squid jumping) into battle to get splatted etc.

Of course, sometimes there are the ones who 'AFKed' or something like that (maybe their baby woke up crying or something, it happens), but the ones I mentioned above are being idiots on purpose.

You can check the tally at the end, do the number of total kills on the enemy team match up to the deaths on yours?

Like I said, I check the map and my team mates activities quite often so I'll sometimes observe what they're doing when I think they're not in the right position at the right time, if they're spoiling my game I leave immediately and block them.

Last edited:

Award

They have other uses but in general I feel like the ones you're talking about are the obvious clueless kids who don't even know what they're supposed to be doing in the first place. Like they will follow behind me and just stand there watching me do stuff. If you get those, prepare to carry hard (and probably still lose).
I don't get the ones that follow me very often. I presume they're more likely to follow shooter mains since shooters go interesting places and do interesting things. Most of the time I'm holding eliter, hydra, or carbon. Eliter and hydras they'll get bored fast if they follow me since I'll just race to a good position and sit there until I have a need to move, if ever. And carbon I'm zipping about at high speed and am probably nauseating and infuriatingly confusing to attempt following. :p I do get the ones that will keep SJ'ing to me no matter where I am, even if it's in front of spawn, but they usually don't interfere much unless it's the ones that get in front of me or next to me on a sniping ledge and try to shoot the field with a splattershot or aerospray. :rolleyes:

Actually, I can safely assume what they were doing...

I've had matches with scores and K/Ds on some team members like that. They are just running off to suicide, attempting to spoil the game: there was this one squid (I won't name) who kept jumping off upon respawning (I can't remember exactly which stage), then there are those squid party goers who just keep jumping (not super jumping, squid jumping) into battle to get splatted etc.

Of course, sometimes there are the ones who 'AFKed' or something like that (maybe their baby woke up crying or something, it happens), but the ones I mentioned above are being idiots on purpose.

You can check the tally at the end, do the number of total kills on the enemy team match up to the deaths on yours?

Like I said, I check the map and my team mates activities quite often so I'll sometimes observe what they're doing when I think they're not in the right position at the right time, if they're spoiling my game I leave immediately and block them.
Yeah, I get the squid partiers, 0-14p sounds about right. I've even joined in a few times (and started my own party a few days ago when my team was spawncamping the enemy!) I get them (though usually it takes 2, not 1 to party, I guess unless you're listening to the Squid Sisters album on your Designer Headphones? :D) But I don't get the suicide squids - WHY are they trying to spoil the game? Clanmate/friend on the other team?

Yeah AFK's I don't mind - since there's no way to "kindly" drop from a game I've walked away before - but if you're AFK you don't keep getting killed, you just go 0/0 or your score holds wherever you stopped with maybe one extra death. You sit on the shielded spawn the rest of the time. (True story, yesterday I was 40s late for the match, AFK, but didn't want to lose my lobby, just sitting on spawn eliter in hand, head down like a ragdoll. I hopped back in as someone was respawning 2:20 left on the clock, and actually posted the best k/d and brought us to victory! In Mackerel of all places! ;) )

How does one "leave immediately and ban them" short of force-killing the console's power?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I get a lot of teammates like those in Turf War (and they can potentially be any level). Award and I have had some rather long discussions about that sort of player. In that case, I take it you mean a different kind of player, though I'm still not sure how to efficiently clean up while still contributing meaningfully to your team besides trying to learn what likely ambush spots can be.

Yeah, I get the squid partiers, 0-14p sounds about right. I've even joined in a few times (and started my own party a few days ago when my team was spawncamping the enemy!) I get them (though usually it takes 2, not 1 to party, I guess unless you're listening to the Squid Sisters album on your Designer Headphones? :D) But I don't get the suicide squids - WHY are they trying to spoil the game? Clanmate/friend on the other team?

Yeah AFK's I don't mind - since there's no way to "kindly" drop from a game I've walked away before - but if you're AFK you don't keep getting killed, you just go 0/0 or your score holds wherever you stopped with maybe one extra death. You sit on the shielded spawn the rest of the time. (True story, yesterday I was 40s late for the match, AFK, but didn't want to lose my lobby, just sitting on spawn eliter in hand, head down like a ragdoll. I hopped back in as someone was respawning 2:20 left on the clock, and actually posted the best k/d and brought us to victory! In Mackerel of all places! ;) )

How does one "leave immediately and ban them" short of force-killing the console's power?
The game forcibly removes you from the match if you go 60 seconds without moving, by the way. Someone who has to leave, unless it's in the last 60 seconds, will show as a disconnected player with 0p at the end-of-match stats.

As for why they'd purposely kill themselves, my most likely guesses are either they're griefers, or they're applying to Splatoon what's been happening with Smash Bros.: They don't care about winning or losing, and they want their teammates to join in. I don't see them very often though.

I HAVE found those less-than-100p people before and observed them though. The most recent one I found was definitely not a griefer or a party-goer, but just a kid who barely knew how to push buttons on the Wii U GamePad. They walked over to the end of a corridor at Blackbelly Skatepark and faced inwards into it until they were splatted, and afterwards, would find some other random spot and do it again. That player's record at the end was 16p, 0-4.

Nintendo had an 8-player Splatoon setup at the Hilton next door to San Diego Comic-Con 2015, for instance. On the far right was a little boy, I'd estimate between 3 and 5 years old. He barely knew how to move his Inkling, and he'd just throw a Splat Bomb every now and then. He never went more than ten feet away from the spawn point and didn't know how to do anything but move occasionally, dive into ink, and throw a Splat Bomb, and I'm sure that movement was simply accidental, based on the way he was holding the GamePad. Nevertheless, he was having a blast, and he got upset if someone else wanted to take over. I could see that his parents, standing behind him, were desperately trying to tell him what to do, but he wanted to play it his own way. He didn't really react upon getting splatted. I don't think he even knew what was going on, just seeing bright colors flying around.

I sometimes wonder if those players are actually really little kids, like that boy. I guess it depends on what they're actually doing though.

Award

I get a lot of teammates like those in Turf War (and they can potentially be any level). Award and I have had some rather long discussions about that sort of player. In that case, I take it you mean a different kind of player, though I'm still not sure how to efficiently clean up while still contributing meaningfully to your team besides trying to learn what likely ambush spots can be.
A gather from this and our conversations in the CHydra thread that @Hawk Seow is a very strategically minded player more than a tactical player, playing it almost like an SRPG like Fire Emblem. Focused on team strategy and creative specials use. Applying squad strategy to Random. It's not always sensible to apply his approach in normal tactical play, but he definitely has some interesting observations and concepts! He's also primarily a TW player, which is a rare find on this forum, but I have the feeling he doesn't get the "lucky" teams you and I get quite so often. I have a feeling based on the whole matchmaking chaos, you and I get pinned between the inker and killer pools and the game is never quite sure where to put us so we always get stuck in the uncomfortable middle, whereas a more overtly offensive player like HS is going to get more consistent teams one way or the other.

The game forcibly removes you from the match if you go 60 seconds without moving, by the way. Someone who has to leave, unless it's in the last 60 seconds, will show as a disconnected player with 0p at the end-of-match stats.
Interesting, I didn't know that! I'm glad I made it back in time yesterday! That explains why the person lingering on the spawn eventually moves on.

As for why they'd purposely kill themselves, my most likely guesses are either they're griefers, or they're applying to Splatoon what's been happening with Smash Bros.: They don't care about winning or losing, and they want their teammates to join in. I don't see them very often though.
That's just...odd. I'm not sure I understand the thought process behind that. Not caring about winning or losing is a good attitude to have for these games. (I'll keep reminding myself of that the next time I'm in ranked and see my rank plummeting :p) INTENTIONALLY trying to lose it, and trying to gain support for not caring about winning or losing by forcing your team to lose seems kind of contradictory. Wouldn't it make more sense to just play it leisurely?

I HAVE found those less-than-100p people before and observed them though. The most recent one I found was definitely not a griefer or a party-goer, but just a kid who barely knew how to push buttons on the Wii U GamePad. They walked over to the end of a corridor at Blackbelly Skatepark and faced inwards into it until they were splatted, and afterwards, would find some other random spot and do it again. That player's record at the end was 16p, 0-4.
I've seen players do that actually, but I THINK I've figured out it's someone that has serious internet problems going on and those really odd zombie-like motions are the AI trying to predict what to do with them while there's intermittent signal. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't someone I was trying to shoot on the other team. They'd walk over to a ledge, slump over, throw a splat bomb, and sit there, throw another splat bomb, sit there, throw another splat bomb, then they'd move around a little normally, then go back to the same spot and throw a splat bomb and sit there - then they vaporized. And another one in mahi a player just stoped and was staring at the walls near their base, slumped over, but then they'd move around and fight, then slump over again, then move and fight, then slump over. And I saw one that would make these zombie like paths down the side in skatepark. Then teleport all the way back, and do it again, then teleport all the way back and do it again. I don't think it's kids that can't hit the buttons. I think it's players that are mostly disconnected or on dial-up like performance but still almost-sort-of able to play enough to not get DC'd trying to hang on. The bad netcode makes them have these highly robotic actions while it tries to figure out what they probably did while it didn't get updates from them. I'm guessing they're probably trying to play and raging at "connection unstable" messages while we wonder why they're moving like robots.

Nintendo had an 8-player Splatoon setup at the Hilton next door to San Diego Comic-Con 2015, for instance. On the far right was a little boy, I'd estimate between 3 and 5 years old. He barely knew how to move his Inkling, and he'd just throw a Splat Bomb every now and then. He never went more than ten feet away from the spawn point and didn't know how to do anything but move occasionally, dive into ink, and throw a Splat Bomb, and I'm sure that movement was simply accidental, based on the way he was holding the GamePad. Nevertheless, he was having a blast, and he got upset if someone else wanted to take over. I could see that his parents, standing behind him, were desperately trying to tell him what to do, but he wanted to play it his own way. He didn't really react upon getting splatted. I don't think he even knew what was going on, just seeing bright colors flying around.

I sometimes wonder if those players are actually really little kids, like that boy. I guess it depends on what they're actually doing though.
Haha, that's pretty funny! That must have been a sight. I can't imagine too many kids at home really playing it though that don't know how. I mean playing it for free at the expo because they saw the display is one thing, but actually having parents buy it for him for the cost of a WiiU would be another. You're probably right, there probably are some.

Usually when I see someone that definitely has problems moving or is clearly having connection issues (or is a little kid) I don't actually shoot them. Sometimes that comes back to bite me :p

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I don't get the ones that follow me very often. I presume they're more likely to follow shooter mains since shooters go interesting places and do interesting things. Most of the time I'm holding eliter, hydra, or carbon. Eliter and hydras they'll get bored fast if they follow me since I'll just race to a good position and sit there until I have a need to move, if ever. And carbon I'm zipping about at high speed and am probably nauseating and infuriatingly confusing to attempt following. :p I do get the ones that will keep SJ'ing to me no matter where I am, even if it's in front of spawn, but they usually don't interfere much unless it's the ones that get in front of me or next to me on a sniping ledge and try to shoot the field with a splattershot or aerospray. :rolleyes:
Oh I've had all sorts:
  • The one that purposely blocks my shot when I'm using an E-Liter and following me when I relocate: their intention is to piss you off so that you leave the lobby.
  • I had one Splat Roller follow me on Moray Towers for a bit when I was a Hydra months ago. He basically hid beside me, probably thinking it's safer for him as well as providing some support but not realizing that I didn't need him around.
  • The ones who carry Bubblers and follow but somehow fail to pass their Bubbler to me when it's needed most :P
Carbons are meant to work solo or quickly get in to provide support/avenge another team mate. I only follow Carbons when I'm observing wtf they're actually doing (when I see that they are a bit clueless).

The ones who SJ to you are probably tapping the team mate icon as opposed to the squid icon on the gamepad map. The way the lines are drawn can lead to tapping the wrong name if you're not used to it which leads to your experience.

Sometimes, to hint to a team mate who's not doing their job, I'll actually keep tapping them and pinging C'mon. Especially the ones that start spamming C'mon from the start of the match (and are obvious weak links).

Yeah, I get the squid partiers, 0-14p sounds about right. I've even joined in a few times (and started my own party a few days ago when my team was spawncamping the enemy!) I get them (though usually it takes 2, not 1 to party, I guess unless you're listening to the Squid Sisters album on your Designer Headphones? :D) But I don't get the suicide squids - WHY are they trying to spoil the game? Clanmate/friend on the other team
Oh it's not about how many squids it takes to start. Sometimes one of them (on either team) will just keep doing anything but the objective. Literally making it a 3v4 or worst (they get out and get splatted, handing the enemies even more ink).

I'm fine with AFKers. I understand people have emergencies crop up. But sometimes I get people who look like they're AFK and they still appear in my next game and continue to look AFK. That's when I go up to them and spam C'mon and if they still continue being inert in that match then I leave.

Oh I mean, I'll leave the lobby and then block them in the Wii U menu which shows the recent players you've played with. It doesn't outright bar them from playing with you but you're less likely to get them in random matchups.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Yea the ones I'm talking about are players who are rocking weapons like Aerospray RGs or Splattershot Jrs who go about getting lesser turf points than Custom E-Liters and Vanilla Hydras. I can tell you from experience that even if I used one of those weapons to ink over smaller enemy splotches in our base I can still comfortably hit 700-800p or so, unless I'm getting killed nonstop on the way out (which indicates a much bigger problem).

You know what? An Aerospray RG with the recon skill is perfect for that cleaning up. Recon allows you to spot potential ninjas hiding in your side as well as land precision inkstrikes. There are ways to be efficient in this game (like there's absolutely an efficient way of using Splat Rollers to turf but most people just hold down ZR and roll for 75% of the match, I used to do that until I compared the efficiency in the firing range), but if your team is getting held back by ambushers then your efficiency is for naught.

I'm not saying "don't be efficient", I'm saying when you know the enemy team has ninjas then preventing them is part of the overall efficiency. Edit: That said, it's not a rule of thumb. If the ninja is not contributing to his team (by turfing) and your team mates are all out there comfortably suppressing the enemy, then sure just SJ in and keep up the pressure. Like I've mentioned to Award before, there isn't always a set tactic to adhere to, it requires your own assessment of the situation (eg. Is that ninja really causing us to be unable to turf the mid area?).

That's some nice info!

The one I met was probably a griefer. If they didn't care about winning or losing, then just playing should be fine. I don't see what's fun about jumping off the same spot over and over unless they find it fun to imagine how frustrated we are when we witness that.

Yea some of them are obviously kids. Some are obvious griefers (who could still be kids) and some are just squid party-goers which I dislike a lot but I'll have to write up a whole post to address why. Short version is there really should be a new game mode for these people who want to do things like party.

Last edited:

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
A gather from this and our conversations in the CHydra thread that @Hawk Seow is a very strategically minded player more than a tactical player, playing it almost like an SRPG like Fire Emblem. Focused on team strategy and creative specials use. Applying squad strategy to Random. It's not always sensible to apply his approach in normal tactical play, but he definitely has some interesting observations and concepts! He's also primarily a TW player, which is a rare find on this forum, but I have the feeling he doesn't get the "lucky" teams you and I get quite so often. I have a feeling based on the whole matchmaking chaos, you and I get pinned between the inker and killer pools and the game is never quite sure where to put us so we always get stuck in the uncomfortable middle, whereas a more overtly offensive player like HS is going to get more consistent teams one way or the other.
I'm not exactly well versed in the art of war but I think most of what I've talked about on this board would be categorized under tactics. From what little I googled, strategy is always broader and tactics are more focused (eg. holding a good position as a Hydra). In the context of Splatoon, strategy might be something like determining the makeup of my team so that we can handle as many situations as possible.

Personally I enjoy TW because I think it exemplifies the best aspects of Splatoon's unique system and mechanics. It's also the one mode where I can gauge random player skills much better because the way ranked displays results, it can be hard to tell (K/D isn't telling the whole truth in there).

Also because I tend to experiment with all sorts of weapons so I try not to cause teams to fail in ranked because I know loads of people take it seriously. That said, TW isn't really a casual mode in my mind, it's just generally less offensive to the others if I mess up big time. Lastly, I have friends who are always in TW and it's the mode where I can join in their games whenever I want.

Would be nice if you could elaborate on these "lucky" teams you've gotten haha. One thing I've experienced for myself lately is that it seems the game has an algorithm to keep throwing players with the same weapon types together. When I was playing with the E-Liter I found myself frequently grouped in a team with 2 others whilst the enemy team might have one or none. It was really frustrating.

That's just...odd. I'm not sure I understand the thought process behind that. Not caring about winning or losing is a good attitude to have for these games. (I'll keep reminding myself of that the next time I'm in ranked and see my rank plummeting :p) INTENTIONALLY trying to lose it, and trying to gain support for not caring about winning or losing by forcing your team to lose seems kind of contradictory. Wouldn't it make more sense to just play it leisurely
Great, now that I read this part I see I replied in almost the exact same way to Zombie Aladdin :D

I've seen players do that actually, but I THINK I've figured out it's someone that has serious internet problems going on and those really odd zombie-like motions are the AI trying to predict what to do with them while there's intermittent signal. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't someone I was trying to shoot on the other team. They'd walk over to a ledge, slump over, throw a splat bomb, and sit there, throw another splat bomb, sit there, throw another splat bomb, then they'd move around a little normally, then go back to the same spot and throw a splat bomb and sit there - then they vaporized. And another one in mahi a player just stoped and was staring at the walls near their base, slumped over, but then they'd move around and fight, then slump over again, then move and fight, then slump over. And I saw one that would make these zombie like paths down the side in skatepark. Then teleport all the way back, and do it again, then teleport all the way back and do it again. I don't think it's kids that can't hit the buttons. I think it's players that are mostly disconnected or on dial-up like performance but still almost-sort-of able to play enough to not get DC'd trying to hang on. The bad netcode makes them have these highly robotic actions while it tries to figure out what they probably did while it didn't get updates from them. I'm guessing they're probably trying to play and raging at "connection unstable" messages while we wonder why they're moving like robots
Could be either, main thing is they aren't contributing. The obvious griefers or obstinate party squids (who keep trying when no one is entertaining them) are the ones I block.

Haha, that's pretty funny! That must have been a sight. I can't imagine too many kids at home really playing it though that don't know how. I mean playing it for free at the expo because they saw the display is one thing, but actually having parents buy it for him for the cost of a WiiU would be another. You're probably right, there probably are some.

Usually when I see someone that definitely has problems moving or is clearly having connection issues (or is a little kid) I don't actually shoot them. Sometimes that comes back to bite me :p
I'm quite sure some parents just let their children play, similar to how they hand them their smartphones to play games. I'm not surprised that some of these kids have absolutely no idea what they're doing. If the kid in question is actually playing but not optimally (like they'll stand in unsafe areas totally unaware they're being targeted) then I'll try to protect them if it's within my capabilities (depends on what weapon and loadout I have).

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I just noticed this thread has expanded.. a lot...xD
Haha sorry! Seems like when @Award and I start discussing then the thread we're in tends to become like this :P I try to make it a point to reply to any meaningful discussion and I'm usually bad at keeping things short.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Haha sorry! Seems like when @Award and I start discussing then the thread we're in tends to become like this :p I try to make it a point to reply to any meaningful discussion and I'm usually bad at keeping things short.
Haha looks like I have to see some of the messages xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom