• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are rollers less used these days?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Oh I've had all sorts:
  • The one that purposely blocks my shot when I'm using an E-Liter and following me when I relocate: their intention is to piss you off so that you leave the lobby.
  • I had one Splat Roller follow me on Moray Towers for a bit when I was a Hydra months ago. He basically hid beside me, probably thinking it's safer for him as well as providing some support but not realizing that I didn't need him around.
  • The ones who carry Bubblers and follow but somehow fail to pass their Bubbler to me when it's needed most :p
The latter two are common enough. But the first. Why would they intentionally sabotage their eliter to make you leave the lobby?

I don't think I've encountered those. The ones that block my shots with an aerospray seem to be fighting their little hearts out having no idea they're completely useless. The ones that irritate me are the splatterscopes that try to glory hog and steal the perch and block my shots because they want the shot themselves. Or the ones that finally get lost then super jump back to me to try to take the shot themselves (blocking mine) But I don't think they're sabotaging me to sabotage me, I get the sense that they're screaming "I wannit, I wannit, mine mine!" in their little squddy heads. When it's a fellow eliter I usually yield the perch and go below if they seem to be a skilled sniper that will do better there than I, and similarly I'll yield it if they seem to be a learning sniper that won't do well unless they have their familiar perch (or one they learned from opposing me in a prior round and want to try out) where I can do ok roaming as well. This is usually a Japanese player, and typically seems to have a sense of fraternity among snipers.

Carbons are meant to work solo or quickly get in to provide support/avenge another team mate. I only follow Carbons when I'm observing wtf they're actually doing (when I see that they are a bit clueless).

The ones who SJ to you are probably tapping the team mate icon as opposed to the squid icon on the gamepad map. The way the lines are drawn can lead to tapping the wrong name if you're not used to it which leads to your experience.

Sometimes, to hint to a team mate who's not doing their job, I'll actually keep tapping them and pinging C'mon. Especially the ones that start spamming C'mon from the start of the match (and are obvious weak links).
Yes, that's what I love about carbon. I do love its fast, aggressive gameplay too. :) But I love how it can kind of be anywhere, fast, and fill in where it's needed, but can ALSO press the attack too. It's fun in Kelp dome for example when I can either wait up and join my team to storm mid together (sometimes, there's a lot of waiting for some teams...) OR I can hold the tower alone, OR I can try to sieze the mid-tower alone, lurking to the side planning the attack. It's so versatile for all kinds of situations (even if I've been trading a lot this week in Mackerel... )

Yeah, I usually tap the squid icon since it takes too long to trace the line to the player icon, but I can see how people might do that, especially just "tap the sniper" and assume they're in a good place. And for those who are far sighted, finding the squid icon on the gamepad would be AWFUL.

I don't get too many that spam C'mon from the start. I have the ones that spam Booyeah but I presume they're partying. Some aren't though but there's usually two spamming messages and I'll never know what they're trying to do. I love playing with chatty Japanese players though. Booyeahs off the gates, and every time someone gets a kill. One booyeah's their teammate then the other 2 booyeah no matter where they are. :D It's so much more fun.

I'm fine with AFKers. I understand people have emergencies crop up. But sometimes I get people who look like they're AFK and they still appear in my next game and continue to look AFK. That's when I go up to them and spam C'mon and if they still continue being inert in that match then I leave.
You know I've seen some rounds where a player DC's but is back in the next round. I mean a true 0p score indicating disconnect but they're in every single round. And like ZA said, they'd be disconnected after 60s idle. So how are they still in the next round at all?

Award

You know what? An Aerospray RG with the recon skill is perfect for that cleaning up. Recon allows you to spot potential ninjas hiding in your side as well as land precision inkstrikes. There are ways to be efficient in this game (like there's absolutely an efficient way of using Splat Rollers to turf but most people just hold down ZR and roll for 75% of the match, I used to do that until I compared the efficiency in the firing range), but if your team is getting held back by ambushers then your efficiency is for naught.
I'm not too familiar with splat rollers and krak-ons from a player perspective since I gravitated toward carbon for it's more aggressive, very mobile combat abilities, but there's a few advantages to rolling rather than flinging for turf coverage coming from a carbon perspective and also a charger perspective.

From a carbon perspective, the problem with flings is they obscure your view, they freeze you in place, and they deplete your ink faster. Rolling is slower, but lays down a gapless glass surface in which to lurk and maneuver more freely, and keeps you more alert and more responsive to possible threats. It also sets up pretty squared up borders which can be advantageous for zoning opponents. From an eliter perspective, a flinging roller is EASY to hit. They either stop, or jump and have a predictable movement distance and landing spot at which, at worst, I have a 50/50 shot of making the kill. A rolling roller even when moving in straight lines perpendicular to my aim (like in Moray) I have much higher odds of missing the shot, and substantially higher with any change in direction or momentum.

Rollers are built for rolling, at least as one of your primary play methods (dynamo aside, which really is built for flinging) A fling-only style is more brush style which technically is a roller.

I WILL however fling, not roll, into deep enemy ink. Rolling is dangerous, flinging flushes them out and keeps me at a reasonable distance as I eat into their ink pool.

Yea some of them are obviously kids. Some are obvious griefers (who could still be kids) and some are just squid party-goers which I dislike a lot but I'll have to write up a whole post to address why. Short version is there really should be a new game mode for these people who want to do things like party.
Partiers...I used to hate them, and I hate the ones that start the match of with it. But I've started seeing more, mostly Japanese, players that will switch to party mode rather than holding a spawncamp to the end when it's clear they've won. It's a mutual, even if partial, cease fire of sorts. I enjoy these matches since it removes the jerkiness of domination players. Japanese seem to take TW a lot less seriously and have a lot more fun with it, despite generally having an extremely high skill level.

Award

I'm not exactly well versed in the art of war but I think most of what I've talked about on this board would be categorized under tactics. From what little I googled, strategy is always broader and tactics are more focused (eg. holding a good position as a Hydra). In the context of Splatoon, strategy might be something like determining the makeup of my team so that we can handle as many situations as possible.
True that strategy in the pure sense would come mostly in squads & clans, but I'd also include developing a particular formula for a particular map/weapon, ANYTHING involving Recon, and overall pre-planned specials us as strategy more than tactics. They're premeditated planning detached from situational reactions.

Personally I enjoy TW because I think it exemplifies the best aspects of Splatoon's unique system and mechanics. It's also the one mode where I can gauge random player skills much better because the way ranked displays results, it can be hard to tell (K/D isn't telling the whole truth in there).

Also because I tend to experiment with all sorts of weapons so I try not to cause teams to fail in ranked because I know loads of people take it seriously. That said, TW isn't really a casual mode in my mind, it's just generally less offensive to the others if I mess up big time. Lastly, I have friends who are always in TW and it's the mode where I can join in their games whenever I want.
I agree TW the most for the same reasons. I just wish it had a ranked variant. I enjoy the ranked modes and am looking forward to jumping back into them, but CTF & King of the Hill feel shoehorned into the game to "be like other games" - fun, but not unique, and kind of tired. TW (and splat zones) are pretty unique. My only problem with TW is, with Randoms the situation where you can get the kids that have no clue how to even play, and an S+ semi-pro Jr user with max speed and spc charge who storms your base constantly can kill the fun. At least in ranked, bad as the teams are, there's SOME separation of skill levels. But I like the TW mode most.

I keep telling myself, just jump into ranked, play all the weapons, have fun with it, and part of me doesn't want to lose rank. One thing about the people who take it seriously is they're never going to have fun with it. The ranked system is BROKEN in every way. It can't be taken too seriously. There's B's that play like S+'s and S's that play like C+'s.

I agree that TW isn't casual, but I don't think that's how it was intended. It was intended as casual mode, but because there's zero practice room for ranked modes at all, the ranked players started using it as practice mode and it became equally competitive. TW can be simply brutal. And the friend lobbies add to that. I get a lot of rounds where I get 2-4 players in the same clan having an obvious squad/clan practice. usually they have k/d in the high double digits, and the rest of us are just there for the ride.

I'm quite sure some parents just let their children play, similar to how they hand them their smartphones to play games. I'm not surprised that some of these kids have absolutely no idea what they're doing. If the kid in question is actually playing but not optimally (like they'll stand in unsafe areas totally unaware they're being targeted) then I'll try to protect them if it's within my capabilities (depends on what weapon and loadout I have).
Never understood how people hand their kids their phone and expect everything to still be set properly when they get it back... :confused:

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
The latter two are common enough. But the first. Why would they intentionally sabotage their eliter to make you leave the lobby?

I don't think I've encountered those. The ones that block my shots with an aerospray seem to be fighting their little hearts out having no idea they're completely useless. The ones that irritate me are the splatterscopes that try to glory hog and steal the perch and block my shots because they want the shot themselves. Or the ones that finally get lost then super jump back to me to try to take the shot themselves (blocking mine) But I don't think they're sabotaging me to sabotage me, I get the sense that they're screaming "I wannit, I wannit, mine mine!" in their little squddy heads. When it's a fellow eliter I usually yield the perch and go below if they seem to be a skilled sniper that will do better there than I, and similarly I'll yield it if they seem to be a learning sniper that won't do well unless they have their familiar perch (or one they learned from opposing me in a prior round and want to try out) where I can do ok roaming as well. This is usually a Japanese player, and typically seems to have a sense of fraternity among snipers
I didn't notice them before because I never really used chargers in the past. I only started learning them in the last two weeks or so and I recall the one doing it to me was on Ancho-V games. It was annoying. Anyway, don't just take my word for it, have some links :D

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/73204741
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/73220074/843042104

I sometimes do stand near another charger but not to snatch glory or shots, rather it's meant to further intimidate the enemy (dual E-liters taking turns to fire is a scary thing in the right positions) but even then I rarely stay there long, I love to be mobile even as a sniper.

Yes, that's what I love about carbon. I do love its fast, aggressive gameplay too. :) But I love how it can kind of be anywhere, fast, and fill in where it's needed, but can ALSO press the attack too. It's fun in Kelp dome for example when I can either wait up and join my team to storm mid together (sometimes, there's a lot of waiting for some teams...) OR I can hold the tower alone, OR I can try to sieze the mid-tower alone, lurking to the side planning the attack. It's so versatile for all kinds of situations (even if I've been trading a lot this week in Mackerel... )
Carbon is strong but requires a team that's conscientious about inking turf in the first place, the more thorough the inking, the more angles you can approach from and hide in.

Yeah, I usually tap the squid icon since it takes too long to trace the line to the player icon, but I can see how people might do that, especially just "tap the sniper" and assume they're in a good place. And for those who are far sighted, finding the squid icon on the gamepad would be AWFUL
If you use it often there comes a point where tracing the line is almost second nature, but sometimes you can also identify who's the reliable sniper/hydra type who tends to perch in safe places and always be ready to tap their icon. The other thing I want to mention is...RECON! If you've never used Recon to SJ to an ally, you ought to try it, literally lets you know which ally is clear (or in need of your help if you can bring it). Seriously, Recon is underused IMO, especially in TW. I understand it's not used much in ranked since everyone is pretty much jostling near the objective, although that's also why I love to go a big round and get them from behind with certain weapons (L-3D being one of them).

I don't get too many that spam C'mon from the start. I have the ones that spam Booyeah but I presume they're partying. Some aren't though but there's usually two spamming messages and I'll never know what they're trying to do. I love playing with chatty Japanese players though. Booyeahs off the gates, and every time someone gets a kill. One booyeah's their teammate then the other 2 booyeah no matter where they are. :D It's so much more fun.
For me, I give a booyah right at the start when playing with a friend, it's just a friendly acknowledgement. Other booyahs in game are all for good things like a team mate who assisted in a kill, when I SJ to a team mate's beakon or any nice thing really.

You know I've seen some rounds where a player DC's but is back in the next round. I mean a true 0p score indicating disconnect but they're in every single round. And like ZA said, they'd be disconnected after 60s idle. So how are they still in the next round at all?
It's possible they got disconnected but they're actually in that lobby because a friend is in there so upon DC they joined the lobby again and thus made it in right in the next match.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I'm not too familiar with splat rollers and krak-ons from a player perspective since I gravitated toward carbon for it's more aggressive, very mobile combat abilities, but there's a few advantages to rolling rather than flinging for turf coverage coming from a carbon perspective and also a charger perspective.

From a carbon perspective, the problem with flings is they obscure your view, they freeze you in place, and they deplete your ink faster. Rolling is slower, but lays down a gapless glass surface in which to lurk and maneuver more freely, and keeps you more alert and more responsive to possible threats. It also sets up pretty squared up borders which can be advantageous for zoning opponents. From an eliter perspective, a flinging roller is EASY to hit. They either stop, or jump and have a predictable movement distance and landing spot at which, at worst, I have a 50/50 shot of making the kill. A rolling roller even when moving in straight lines perpendicular to my aim (like in Moray) I have much higher odds of missing the shot, and substantially higher with any change in direction or momentum.

Rollers are built for rolling, at least as one of your primary play methods (dynamo aside, which really is built for flinging) A fling-only style is more brush style which technically is a roller.

I WILL however fling, not roll, into deep enemy ink. Rolling is dangerous, flinging flushes them out and keeps me at a reasonable distance as I eat into their ink pool
Rolling's biggest advantages are like you said, smoothly inked surfaces and they're a bit stealthier. Flicking ink is audibly louder and also visually more obvious. For Carbon you're right, rolling makes you a bit harder to hit with some weapons because of it's rolling speed. A Dynamo has no business rolling for the most part, except when it just wants to cover very small bits of turf in important locations.

Splat Rollers are literally in the middle. I think I really ought to make a video of the technique I'm about to describe, it's not the first time I'm describing it and a video would really prove my point much easier. Basically you jump and fling the ink as far forward as you can, hold down ZR to roll the turf between you and the ink, once you've got all that rolled, swim in the first patch of ink that you flung and jump out near the edge to repeat the whole process.

I can tell you from my own recordings that this is the most efficient way to turf big open areas or even wide corridors. I only came up with it after using a Dynamo because before that I actually never considered flinging ink as a good method to turf with the regular rollers.

Partiers...I used to hate them, and I hate the ones that start the match of with it. But I've started seeing more, mostly Japanese, players that will switch to party mode rather than holding a spawncamp to the end when it's clear they've won. It's a mutual, even if partial, cease fire of sorts. I enjoy these matches since it removes the jerkiness of domination players. Japanese seem to take TW a lot less seriously and have a lot more fun with it, despite generally having an extremely high skill level.
I still hate them TBH, as in, the ones who keep trying to party despite the fact that no one else showed any interest. Sometimes I do see an enemy squid joining the one team mate of mine to squat in one corner and be pacifists, I leave those alone. I just hate it when whoever's playing is causing a team imbalance by not fulfilling the objective willfully.

Also, truth be told, I never really enjoy the dominating matches, I do end up spawncamping newbies but I usually end up standing behind keeping watch for any stray that might manage to slip out. I don't enjoy firing nonstop to keep them in.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
True that strategy in the pure sense would come mostly in squads & clans, but I'd also include developing a particular formula for a particular map/weapon, ANYTHING involving Recon, and overall pre-planned specials us as strategy more than tactics. They're premeditated planning detached from situational reactions.
Actually, tactics are the little plans you have and execute in any given situation. Let's say I spot a sniper on a perch, I can choose from several tactics like purposely drawing his attention or chasing him off if I have the right sub for it. Each of this is kind of like a tactic. Strategy for me would be more apt when trying to lead a squad through a tournament and is more 'meta' if you get what I mean. Things like not showing all your tactics in game in the earlier stages of the tournament (to not reveal all your skills and tactics to opponents you might face later).

Ultimately though, regardless of what terms we want to use here, I personally spend a lot of time thinking up how to play whatever weapon I'm interested in on the maps I've just played. Splatoon is a game that rewards thinking which is partly why I enjoy it so much.

I agree TW the most for the same reasons. I just wish it had a ranked variant. I enjoy the ranked modes and am looking forward to jumping back into them, but CTF & King of the Hill feel shoehorned into the game to "be like other games" - fun, but not unique, and kind of tired. TW (and splat zones) are pretty unique. My only problem with TW is, with Randoms the situation where you can get the kids that have no clue how to even play, and an S+ semi-pro Jr user with max speed and spc charge who storms your base constantly can kill the fun. At least in ranked, bad as the teams are, there's SOME separation of skill levels. But I like the TW mode most
The randomness of TW is both the fun and annoying aspect of it. If I get one weak link, I try my best to pull his weight and carry. I'm most concerned about earning the victory for our team and in the times I pull it off, my gosh it's an amazing feeling. You know it when you see your team had that one squid who did nothing but die (200p and 0-7 K/D is a good example). I feel people enjoy ranked for various reasons, it's more stressful, chaotic, allows more kills in general and there's a rank to climb up to.

I keep telling myself, just jump into ranked, play all the weapons, have fun with it, and part of me doesn't want to lose rank. One thing about the people who take it seriously is they're never going to have fun with it. The ranked system is BROKEN in every way. It can't be taken too seriously. There's B's that play like S+'s and S's that play like C+'s.
Ok let me hit you with a truth (burst) bomb. If you really deserve the rank, you'll get to it easily. The highest I've reached was S55 or so but then as I tried other weapons I dropped back into A+. Then I decided to DGAF and try my H-3 in there which brought me to my current A-96. I could easily get back to S using the L-3d but I'd rather slowly hone my skills in ranked with lousier weapons so that my own personal skills grow along. There's no hurry for me to be S+99 and I can safely say I play better than a lot of current S ranked players (I constantly win them in TW). Sure, I know about the lower ranked hells where you can't progress reliably because your other members are idiots, if that's the case, either leave or play on and hope they end up on the other side :P

Also, if you watched the Splatoon Koshien Kanto qualifiers, a team of 4 S+99 players lost to another team (which I think wasn't made up of such elite players). Part of it is because the gear is predetermined (school uniform set) and cause it's turf wars where simply being able to kill doesn't grant you anything. Not to mention how they kept having an E-Liter on maps where I felt a Kelp Splatterscope would work much better. Truth is, the meta is still evolving, take your time to improve :)

Also, I'll definitely tag you one day when I finally write my post about why I think squid party goers should be in ranked and not TW :P

Seriously though, it's just a letter and numbers. You do realize TW has a ranking system on Splatnet right? Out of my 30+ friends I'm currently #2. Yes it's also reliant on how much time you actually get to spend in TW but the same could almost be said about ranked especially when luck is involved with regards to team mates.

I agree that TW isn't casual, but I don't think that's how it was intended. It was intended as casual mode, but because there's zero practice room for ranked modes at all, the ranked players started using it as practice mode and it became equally competitive. TW can be simply brutal. And the friend lobbies add to that. I get a lot of rounds where I get 2-4 players in the same clan having an obvious squad/clan practice. usually they have k/d in the high double digits, and the rest of us are just there for the ride.

Never understood how people hand their kids their phone and expect everything to still be set properly when they get it back... :confused:[/QUOTE]

Award

I didn't notice them before because I never really used chargers in the past. I only started learning them in the last two weeks or so and I recall the one doing it to me was on Ancho-V games. It was annoying. Anyway, don't just take my word for it, have some links :D
That's just plain weird, that second post. Why would they disrupt their own sniper? Why would they force them to leave the lobby? And why would they post a solution to a thread about people not being good at countering chargers by saying that chargers are always ineffective? That's a pretty weird thread (though, it's gamefaqs, so it goes with the territory...:rolleyes:) That's the first Splatoon thread I've seen that generally seems to assume chargers are useless weapons. o_O

The first thread though is more like I was saying - I think most of those players, and especially the dreaded sloshers are just plain incompetent, not bodyblocking. :)

I sometimes do stand near another charger but not to snatch glory or shots, rather it's meant to further intimidate the enemy (dual E-liters taking turns to fire is a scary thing in the right positions) but even then I rarely stay there long, I love to be mobile even as a sniper.
Yeah I wouldn't stay around long, that's a GREAT way to get all your snipers and half a team wiped if someone whips out an inkzooka, wail, strike, or suction bomb. ;)

Carbon is strong but requires a team that's conscientious about inking turf in the first place, the more thorough the inking, the more angles you can approach from and hide in.
Fairly true, though I play every weapon with the assumption my team will drop the ball and I must go it alone. I generally make my own turf to lurk in if the team has not and just focus on defense more than offense if I had to spend the time to do so.

The other thing I want to mention is...RECON! If you've never used Recon to SJ to an ally, you ought to try it, literally lets you know which ally is clear (or in need of your help if you can bring it). Seriously, Recon is underused IMO, especially in TW. I understand it's not used much in ranked since everyone is pretty much jostling near the objective, although that's also why I love to go a big round and get them from behind with certain weapons (L-3D being one of them).
You REALLY like recon, don't you? :p I think the 2 reasons it's not used are: If I use a beacon based weapon I don't need to know which teammates are safe to jump to. If I play most weapons my goal is to not get splatted enough to NEED to know which teammates are safe to jump to - I should be the teammate that's safe to jump to anyway! if things go bad enough that I'm not, do I want one of my main slots spent on something that makes it easier to get back to the action, or something that makes it easier to dig out of that hole? With only 3 main slots, it's hard to pick something that's only good when you're on spawn, and works optimally if the match is going badly. And finally, like you said, it's not good in ranked, and most people play TW to perfect their ranked builds and techniques, so nobody wants to wear TW-only clothing if it isn't going to help them in ranked. I've done the same. Ninja Squid is great for Carbon: But it's useless in SZ since I'll be in the open fighting like a madman most of the time, I'd rather spend snails getting slots on gear I'm able to use in every mode. Ink recover, or ink sub, or bomb range, or str up seem so much more versatile.

It's possible they got disconnected but they're actually in that lobby because a friend is in there so upon DC they joined the lobby again and thus made it in right in the next match.
Ahh, maybe!

Splat Rollers are literally in the middle. I think I really ought to make a video of the technique I'm about to describe, it's not the first time I'm describing it and a video would really prove my point much easier. Basically you jump and fling the ink as far forward as you can, hold down ZR to roll the turf between you and the ink, once you've got all that rolled, swim in the first patch of ink that you flung and jump out near the edge to repeat the whole process.

I can tell you from my own recordings that this is the most efficient way to turf big open areas or even wide corridors. I only came up with it after using a Dynamo because before that I actually never considered flinging ink as a good method to turf with the regular rollers.
That makes sense, applying dynamo technique. That doesn't work on carbon, since there's a gap between you and where the roller sets down to roll after a jump-flick. You end up squidding on pavement and leaving a dotted ink trail :) The dive-flingers can be hard to counter with a charger, though the slow windup of a krak-on or dynamo makes them hittable while they swing.

I still hate them TBH, as in, the ones who keep trying to party despite the fact that no one else showed any interest. Sometimes I do see an enemy squid joining the one team mate of mine to squat in one corner and be pacifists, I leave those alone. I just hate it when whoever's playing is causing a team imbalance by not fulfilling the objective willfully.

Also, truth be told, I never really enjoy the dominating matches, I do end up spawncamping newbies but I usually end up standing behind keeping watch for any stray that might manage to slip out. I don't enjoy firing nonstop to keep them in.
The ones I hate are the ones that squid party, so I leave them alone and play, but then they shoot you whenever you get near. Either fight or party, you can't do both. Extra hatred for the group that RACED to my base in Triggerfish in under 20 seconds through the gates to party with their friend on our team. Killed the rest of my team, and continued partying below our spawn, stopping to kill us when we left spawn unless we went all the way around the semicircle and out the wall to the bridge.

And yeah, that's what I do, I don't participate in spawncamps, but just hang back and watch mid for breakouts.

Award

Seriously though, it's just a letter and numbers. You do realize TW has a ranking system on Splatnet right? Out of my 30+ friends I'm currently #2. Yes it's also reliant on how much time you actually get to spend in TW but the same could almost be said about ranked especially when luck is involved with regards to team mates.
I'll reply to the rest later, but I wanted to ask: How the heck does that splatnet ranking work? It's just a sort of meaningless numeric score without real context. What's a good number, what's a bad number? It's not a real "rank" system unless you're comparing friend lists, I would think.
Which is a shame.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Yeah, when my team is the one doing the spawncamping (I refuse to participate) I get lots of time to play around with ink dots in my base :D Also, as a CEliter much of the time, I often don't have time to ink the perch properly before I have ot take a shot, so I'm used to having to squid to refill fast in the little spatter of ink that actually landed there as I approached ;)

It takes VERY little ink to hide. Specifically they probably made the smallest unit of hidable ink the width of the smallest ledge they intend snipers to be able to perch on. It's hard to actually get spatters that tiny in the firing range since it's hard for your own weapon to create them - it's best when the enemy partially covers broader strokes or squidsplosions and ignores a tiny dot. The maximum surface is smaller than the camp triggerfish ledge which is fairly thick. A better example would be the ledge that makes up those "half walls" on each pillar island of Hammerhead Bridge. I often snipe from up on those thin little ledges. That's probably the thinnest one. You might be able to get away with even less however.
Yes that's roughly the smallest area you can hide in and it was intentional. You don't think the developers made the map with ledges of that exact thickness by accident now do you? Also, I tested in the firing range, if the ink patch isn't big enough for you to hide in, if you keep swimming around in it, you'll actually spread the ink out little by little which ends up in you being able to hide in it, give it a try :D

I really doubt they considered people walking through enemy ink to hide in dots that small. it kind of breaks the results of inkstrikes and bomb rushes. Even squidsplosions. The problem is I doubt it's something they can fix in Splatoon 1, not overtly. That would be part of the whole inking mechanic, and would be too risky to fix without breaking other more important things.
They can fix it, it's just that they know about it and don't see it as being an issue. I've already explained the various ways of countering it (recon is probably the best IMO, it gives you sooooo much information provided you have competent team mates).

Cool story.
Sorry! Not sure if you saw my edit but I added in what I wanted to say earlier today. Please check it out :D

Oh most players definitely don't look at the map much. To be fair to them, it's weapon dependent. With a carbon roller, I'm not going to have time to look at the map much myself, I likely know where I need to be and I go there and see what's at risk or what needs to be done there. It's different with hydra or eliter where I'm staring at the map as much as the screen. There's too much action and danger to look at the map that often with a carbon roller. We're generally not wiped out together, but if they're wiped out first while I'm elsewhere, it's unlikely they'll jump to me, and if I'm wiped out first, usually they're in unsafe situations that should not be jumped to. And like I said, it usually takes 2-3 splats to figure out what's going on. At first the priority is to clean out the trash in the base before you realize the intensity of the camping. By then it's too late and everyone else is with you.
No, it's playstyle dependent. I have played games where I'm just going on a faceroll killing spree (L-3D FTW) and only look at the map in the occasion that I died and am respawning. Then there are times where I actively check the map because the enemy has beakons in their loadouts (seriously, please check the map when they have it) or to aim my inkstrikes or stuff.

My current favourite is inking the areas around the spawn point (I purposely leave it untouched at the beginning, thankfully my team mates have the same idea) with an RG + Recon when the special bar is almost full so while I'm holding down ZR and spinning in place, I'm also looking at the map to see which squid is going to get trapped by my surgical inkstrike :D

Generally in the lobbies I'm in, if there's a squid near mid, they're fighting. If there's no fighting in mid, then my team is in the enemy base fighting, or trapped with me on spawn. Though part of that point is that I often am the squid in mid on the team - so if I got splatted, the midsquid was undid. ;) And, in most of these cases, once the ninja has us captured, the enemy team inked everything else, thus there no longer is a mid.
I don't think the squids in mid are fighting all the time. The good ones will be pushing and retreating bit by bit. Once again, use recon to see what actually happens on the map the whole time and you'll be surprised :)

Keep in mind the Carbon Campers will generally be running stacked run speed, with the exception of ink resist, and possibly cold blooded. They don't need swim speed because they don't swim, they run over your own ink. So two carbon rollers of equal ability, the camper covers more ground faster.)
Once again, playstyle. I've played carbon with ninja squid + 2 swim speed up mains. I become the shark without a fin but just as deadly :D Of course, getting echolocated is the biggest problem, during those times I'll actually brazenly go out and bait them to chase me while I lead them to unfavourable positions. It doesn't always work, but my point is, lots of loadouts are viable, just need to spend some time getting creative.

I don't mind the splooshes. Irritating, yes, but that's the play style. They generally don't camp in your path. I'd disagree that the melee weapons can't win a head-on fight. For inkbrush that might be slightly true, but their advantage is their rediculous above ground mobility in enemy ink. They're arguably the most head-on weapon in the game. Octobrushes have some misleading range to them and that huge arc. Carbon rollers have a ranged weapon on them, be it burst bombs or seekers, Fully using the weapons there's no excuse to say they can't win an open fight. Stealth is advantageous in an attack/ambush, but it's not an excuse to have to camp. There's a big difference between lurking/ambushing/flanking and genuinely camping. I'd love to face the campers in a head-on fight, same weapon in hand, and see just how bad they really are at using their weapon when they don't resort to camping. Camping is what you do when you know you don't have the skill to win (or escape) an open fight.
Well that's kinda true about inkbrushes vs Blasters, Range Blasters and Rapid Blaster Pro (and their variants) but it's definitely suicidal when facing gals or splatlings, basically shooters. Inkbrushes work better when coming from behind and slapping you silly.

Truth be told, I'm not really used to Carbon Deco. I find it's very specific in the maps it can work on and I haven't really thought of how to make it effective on every map (I'm saving that for much later, it really feels very niche to me).

Haha, you ought to rewatch 2014's Nintendo E3 Direct where one of the co-directors of Splatoon said he likes to play the ambush style. It's part of the uniqueness of Splatoon and I'm glad it exists. All I can say is, you might change your mind over time but if you don't, let's just leave it as is. I'm okay with it's existence because I have tactics to deal with it.

Why do you think they put lasers on the chargers? Specifically so that they're always fighting in the open despite their campy nature so they're not blindly attacking from nowhere. Even if they hide their laser, when they shoot you, it still gives the killcam a straight line to their operating area.
It's not about fighting in the open. Most weapons give you a little warning because their ink takes time to travel and hit you. A charger with absolutely no laser is basically letting you die without warning at all (which can be pretty stupid because of their range and OHKO property) and it also allows other nearby squids to locate the sniper. The other thing is, it also has an intimidation factor (which is a plus point). Carbons don't have it because although they only take 12f to swing and kill, they don't exactly command the range of any charger. Having to swim up or wait for the opponent to get near before earning the OHKO is considered losing control.

Yeah, I only do the QR/Comeback stack for running aggro in TC :) And, yes, they do seem to pretend to stay in the same place, or you see them walk away and go ink something, but when you respawn they've moved to camping somewhere else. I believe they are waiting for your respawn, and with their run speed stack, it gives them enough time to re-camp before you can leave the spawn area enough to see them (remember they're not at your spawn, they're at the exits from it. )

I can't speak for them. For me, I look at my map, but almost never, ever choose to SJ. Rarely is there a safe squid, and on the occasions where there seems to be, they get jumped right while I'm jumping. SJ is simply rarely a good idea for me, though in part that's because my role usually IS as the safe SJ positioned squid - everybody can't be the one in good positions. As for my teams: If we're spawncamped and I break away, rarely do they jump to me, they just keep fighting at the spawn. In normal play I have some teams that will jump to me properly, some that will not. But in all matches 60% of the time someone jumps to me, it's when I'm standing immediately next to spawn. :rolleyes: Or if they jump to me when I'm sniping, they'll stand in front of me, shooting at my target with an aerospray, getting us both splatted. :p Some of them DO do it right.
I addressed this in another reply but just one word...RECON! :P

Check the salt thread for the rank makeups of some of my favorite teams. The last one was my favorite of all time: Me, A, B-, unranked v S+, S+, S, S. Amazingly that one was a bad loss but still not a spawncamp. Though yesterday was weird. Both teams full of C & B ranks - but some of these matches were more brutal than matches against S+'s. I'm not sure what happened there. And I couldn't hit ANYTHING with an eliter for a long time - and then was able to hit again. I'm thinking lag maybe on my end or something. (We did have a massively teleporting roller on the other team though.) In MOST TW matches I'm going to have an unranked or C-something rank player on my team. You can guess the weak link from the start.
Maybe you were just tired when you missed those shots. It happened to me once in a while too when I played for overly long sessions with the chargers :(

I lucked out yesterday on Mahi - team with 3 eliters and one splatterscope against a mixed team that included 1 eliter. We not only won,but won big. :D But, yeah, I do tend to overlook the weapon mismatches unless one team is obviously lopsided like all chargers or all rollers. (Yeah, all roller teams still happen, they haven't disappeared much at all!)
Well, like I noted on page 1. Good rollers most likely to be carbon/dynamo. Splat rollers are either good or newbies who got told that it's a great starter weapon. Krak-ons tend to be good at using kraken with the occasional beakon tactician.

I think you have a somewhat different playstyle than me, in that, it seems you focus a lot of playstyle on specials given how all of your recon examples involved ideal special usage. :)

I tried recon out yesterday actually, and it was interesting for CElter, but I found I then had to sacrifice either QSJ, Dmg Up, or Swim Speed to use it, and I found I miss any of them too mcuh. QSJ speeds SJ up enough to make flipping between recon and beacon viable, Dmg Up is just too needed, and I've become used to using Swim Speed to be more offensive with the main gun on it. I like the concept, but it's too situational to trade evasive ability or likelihood of landing a shot in exchange for it. If I did it it would be QSJ I'd have to trade for it. But I fear that means I'm missing from the field for too long. Or if my team is doing well it means I'm standing on spawn watching for a long time, and my team probably believes I'm afk which probably doesn't help their play and the combination is likely putting the territory at risk. I'll have to try it again on a map that is NOT Port Mackerel though :p
That's the thing though, I won't say recon is useful on every weapon/loadout. It also depends on your team, having played C-Eliter for a while, I realized the inking is abysmal (like you implied in one of our discussions) and thus your job almost becomes entirely to place beakons fantastically and snipe like William Tell. Recon would be more useful for Krak-On where it's more likely to earn that special more than twice in 3 minutes and have the beakons to jump to and activate.

I should try it with carbon too since I'm still playing with shirts. I had dmg up for a while for burst bombs, but I'm trying 2 bomb range up mains now to see how that plays. Could try recon, though the problem is none of my recon gear has good sub slot rolls. And I'm still kind of uninterested in spending snails on rerolls while I still have slots to unlock (and them seem to be making Splatfests farther between!)
I don't really care much about my sub slots for recon. I even went in with three question marks today using an RG. Won 90% of my games with top score and almost always top K/D. Turf Wars BTW. Ranked would probably be a different story :P

Nah, the purpose of game balance is to make every weapon a viable choice for every rotation. If it's not, there's a failure of game balance. Splatoon's pretty balanced except for the lobby builder that doesn't seem to do appropriate weapon matchmaking. I'd say the "mismatched weapons" is a game flaw, not a problem of players choosing the "wrong" weapon. There shouldn't be a "wrong" weapon.
There definitely are 'wrong' weapons in particular situations though. Especially the obviously more specialized weapons. Eg. 4x Custom E-Liters are probably not going to do well vs a balanced team. It simply doesn't work that way. I don't want to get too far into the specifics but you ought to realize why weapons like the gals and Tentateks are so ubiquitous, in a game that emphasizes team work and has random matchmaking, versatility is almost always king because you almost always have an option for the situation at hand. The specialized weapons only have certain options when their team mates support them enough to let them have that option in the first place.

Actually I'd reply that Moray's not as much a sniper haven as people give it credit for. It's a very FUN eliter map, true, but it's not so dominated as people tend to believe. Granted a proper lobby builder would make sure if one team has an eltier so does the other. But Carbon roller does exceedingly well there (and it's fun to speed roll the ramps! :D ) Fast short range weapons can get a jump on the perches easily, and the angles of the ramp walls make sniping quite difficult. A sniper can watch mid pretty well, but a sniper is DOOMED if you try to assist a push. I can push the ramps far better with carbon or L3 or DS. So while it's fun shooting fish in a barrel with an eliter on Moray, you're limited to a mostly defensive role there, compared to other maps where you can also become offensive. And the problem is once the main perch is compromised, you're very limited in ability to do anything. It snowballs quickly since the eliter becomes almost helpless on the ramps, so the challenge for an eliter there is you MUST hold mid and can't afford to miss the shot. Arowanna is much more a sniper heaven in fact. But the complaints there aren't as severe for some reason.

Well, Walleye and Mackerel are a special kind of awful ;)
Moray (TW) is definitely a map built for E-Liters, not so much for a full team of E-Liters but rather, the E-Liters strengths are utilized the most there. Considering C/E-Liter scope has the longest range in the game, you can bet the maps are designed around them. Being able to reach from one ledge to the other isn't by accident, it's by design.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I'll reply to the rest later, but I wanted to ask: How the heck does that splatnet ranking work? It's just a sort of meaningless numeric score without real context. What's a good number, what's a bad number? It's not a real "rank" system unless you're comparing friend lists, I would think.
Which is a shame.
Hmm, I can't remember exactly but the English version does tell you how they calculate the points. Well, even the ranks you get from ranked mode don't tell the full story. I know I've managed to climb pretty quickly by exploiting certain modes with certain weapons and you've observed it yourself, some S ranks play like As or Bs. It's all just a letter and numbers but some people get fixated on it because this game has no achievements or trophies. It's a very shallow way of gauging personal skill. It does act as a tangible goal though, which I know is what some people view it as.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
That's just plain weird, that second post. Why would they disrupt their own sniper? Why would they force them to leave the lobby? And why would they post a solution to a thread about people not being good at countering chargers by saying that chargers are always ineffective? That's a pretty weird thread (though, it's gamefaqs, so it goes with the territory...:rolleyes:) That's the first Splatoon thread I've seen that generally seems to assume chargers are useless weapons. o_O

The first thread though is more like I was saying - I think most of those players, and especially the dreaded sloshers are just plain incompetent, not bodyblocking. :)
I feel like you're practising confirmation bias haha. Besides, the answers to your questions are pretty much in both those threads. Not saying there aren't incompetent players (although they might just be amazing at pretending to be noobs whilst bodyblocking you :p) but the point is that others have noticed some people deliberately griefing by bodyblocking.

Fairly true, though I play every weapon with the assumption my team will drop the ball and I must go it alone. I generally make my own turf to lurk in if the team has not and just focus on defense more than offense if I had to spend the time to do so.
Come on, we both know VHydra and CEliter are absolutely terrible at turfing and whilst we do assume we have to go it alone when playing with randoms, the fact is it's disadvantageous. Carbon is ok at turfing but time spent turfing as carbon is time not spent sending enemies back to the spawn point :p

You REALLY like recon, don't you? :p I think the 2 reasons it's not used are: If I use a beacon based weapon I don't need to know which teammates are safe to jump to. If I play most weapons my goal is to not get splatted enough to NEED to know which teammates are safe to jump to - I should be the teammate that's safe to jump to anyway! if things go bad enough that I'm not, do I want one of my main slots spent on something that makes it easier to get back to the action, or something that makes it easier to dig out of that hole? With only 3 main slots, it's hard to pick something that's only good when you're on spawn, and works optimally if the match is going badly. And finally, like you said, it's not good in ranked, and most people play TW to perfect their ranked builds and techniques, so nobody wants to wear TW-only clothing if it isn't going to help them in ranked. I've done the same. Ninja Squid is great for Carbon: But it's useless in SZ since I'll be in the open fighting like a madman most of the time, I'd rather spend snails getting slots on gear I'm able to use in every mode. Ink recover, or ink sub, or bomb range, or str up seem so much more versatile.
I'll be a **** here and assume recon isn't used as much because most people aren't creative or spend time thinking of strategies. One thing I want to mention is that, not every weapon requires usage of all 3 main slots. For example, the sloshing machine only needs 1x damage up sub to 2HKO 3x defense up (1x critical + 1x vortex) and weapons like the Jet Squelcher don't really gain anything from damage up except for the potential to do 99.9 damage with 3 hits. Otherwise it's pretty much designed to be a 4HKO weapon all the time.

Main point being, some weapons actually let you get creative with your abilities because they don't require certain abilities at all. I almost feel like you're approaching all loadouts with a CEliter mindset which I personally would go with at least 1x damage up.

But instead of writing so much, I'll just encourage you to try RG + recon with quick SJ and special charge up. You'll see the light soon I hope. :p

P.S. Recon isn't the be-all end-all, but it sure as hell is underused.

That makes sense, applying dynamo technique. That doesn't work on carbon, since there's a gap between you and where the roller sets down to roll after a jump-flick. You end up squidding on pavement and leaving a dotted ink trail :) The dive-flingers can be hard to counter with a charger, though the slow windup of a krak-on or dynamo makes them hittable while they swing.
Yea it's not really practical for carbons, which is why I made that special paragraph for regular rollers. That technique benefits them the most. (I went to look for a more efficient method because I refused to believe that carbons and dynamos would both totally supersede regular rollers in terms of turfing ability and I was right in a sense, Nintendo generally knows what they're doing here).

The ones I hate are the ones that squid party, so I leave them alone and play, but then they shoot you whenever you get near. Either fight or party, you can't do both. Extra hatred for the group that RACED to my base in Triggerfish in under 20 seconds through the gates to party with their friend on our team. Killed the rest of my team, and continued partying below our spawn, stopping to kill us when we left spawn unless we went all the way around the semicircle and out the wall to the bridge
Imagine all the swear words I could type here. That's my reply :p

Last edited:

Award

Hmm, I can't remember exactly but the English version does tell you how they calculate the points. Well, even the ranks you get from ranked mode don't tell the full story. I know I've managed to climb pretty quickly by exploiting certain modes with certain weapons and you've observed it yourself, some S ranks play like As or Bs. It's all just a letter and numbers but some people get fixated on it because this game has no achievements or trophies. It's a very shallow way of gauging personal skill. It does act as a tangible goal though, which I know is what some people view it as.
Your rank this week: 7-J-23! :rolleyes: They really donj't provide much context, it's more of a "score" than a rank.

But yeah the ranks really don't tell much in terms of personal ability which is why I say it's so broken. And Climbing rank by going meta and only playing carbon only when splat zones is on is exactly the way I do NOT want to continue playing ranked :) Rainmaker with bad teams or bust!

I feel like you're practising confirmation bias haha. Besides, the answers to your questions are pretty much in both those threads. Not saying there aren't incompetent players (although they might just be amazing at pretending to be noobs whilst bodyblocking you :p) but the point is that others have noticed some people deliberately griefing by bodyblocking.
I still don't get it. I can see them having grudges against chargers because they're tired of losing to them and being just salty about it....but the assumption that chargers are useless, therefore they spend the whole match disrupting them....is just weird and incomprehensible.

Come on, we both know VHydra and CEliter are absolutely terrible at turfing and whilst we do assume we have to go it alone when playing with randoms, the fact is it's disadvantageous. Carbon is ok at turfing but time spent turfing as carbon is time not spent sending enemies back to the spawn point :p
LOL, I just checked splatnet (first time logging in pretty much ever) and found my most turfed weapon is carbon! This shocked me. My #2? CEliter Scope. This shocked me much more! I'm #3 or #4 most rounds in ink, but apparently I still ink alot. CHydra hasn't made top 10 yet :p And I play Aerospray on fest days! The worst turfer in the game is my #2 turfer.

Main point being, some weapons actually let you get creative with your abilities because they don't require certain abilities at all. I almost feel like you're approaching all loadouts with a CEliter mindset which I personally would go with at least 1x damage up.
Nah, I don't damage stack the carbon. it's about speed and ink. Sometimes I use dmg for the burst bombs though. Bomb range is a staple though!

But instead of writing so much, I'll just encourage you to try RG + recon with quick SJ and special charge up. You'll see the light soon I hope. :p
Eww, RG - MG for lief! ;)

(Will reply to the rest...eventually!) :D

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
What I don`t get is that there is ALWAYS that one krak-on roller in our spawn. BUT they don`t splat anyone..they just keep inking until they get splatted..honestly those kind of players are soooo annoying..Even though rollers have been nerfed some people don`t know how to counter the properly..I mean I get so many easy splats by just turning and flinging...wait what are people even talking about in this thread..??

Award

What I don`t get is that there is ALWAYS that one krak-on roller in our spawn. BUT they don`t splat anyone..they just keep inking until they get splatted..honestly those kind of players are soooo annoying..Even though rollers have been nerfed some people don`t know how to counter the properly..I mean I get so many easy splats by just turning and flinging...wait what are people even talking about in this thread..??
LOL!

Those would be @Zombie Aladdin 's "little inkers" - they're obsessed with inking every corner, and not interested in combat at all. They just want to paint things! Which is of course a very poor way to win in Splatoon. Some of them are kids, some of them are pacifists, most of them are simply bad at playing Splatoon :)They choose rollers because those seem to be tremendous painting weapons that don't need to fight much. These aren't really "roller users" so much as painters that don't want to fight, so they pick rollers since that seems like the way to go! We roller users that are a bit more serious abut really "playing rollers" are a little more splat happy than them...and actually know how to fling! ;)

I embarrassingly get run over by some of these guys when I have carbon - I try to go for the ohko and they just run me over! :p

And for anyone tuning in, the summary bullet points for the rest of the conversation are:
  • Stealth ninja camping carbon rollers that park in your base
  • Terrible team mates that TRY to make you lose on purpose
  • @Hawk Seow 's unnatural obsession with the Recon clothing main ability
  • Dynamo/Splat/Krak-On roller flick-roll-swim turfing techniqe
  • Turf War team strategies
  • Lots of OT E-liter talk between an eliter/carbon main and a - not sure what HS mains.
There's the cliff notes! And given all my whining about camping Carbon's it should be a good indication for the initial question: Rollers are EVERYWHERE! :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Your rank this week: 7-J-23! :rolleyes: They really donj't provide much context, it's more of a "score" than a rank.

But yeah the ranks really don't tell much in terms of personal ability which is why I say it's so broken. And Climbing rank by going meta and only playing carbon only when splat zones is on is exactly the way I do NOT want to continue playing ranked :) Rainmaker with bad teams or bust!
A ladder system would be more fun in general I think, like every 3 months the ranks get reset so people have to play again. Right now I know some people reach S 30 (the default number when you hit S) and stop playing because they dare not rank down again. I wouldn't describe it as 'broken' but yea part of the reason I dislike rank is how you'll see particular weapons appear based on maps and modes.

I still don't get it. I can see them having grudges against chargers because they're tired of losing to them and being just salty about it....but the assumption that chargers are useless, therefore they spend the whole match disrupting them....is just weird and incomprehensible.
It's simple, they dislike chargers (be it useless or too useful) so they go out of their way to be griefers.

LOL, I just checked splatnet (first time logging in pretty much ever) and found my most turfed weapon is carbon! This shocked me. My #2? CEliter Scope. This shocked me much more! I'm #3 or #4 most rounds in ink, but apparently I still ink alot. CHydra hasn't made top 10 yet :p And I play Aerospray on fest days! The worst turfer in the game is my #2 turfer.
My top 5 weapons in Splatnet are pretty much all hipster weapons :P

Nah, I don't damage stack the carbon. it's about speed and ink. Sometimes I use dmg for the burst bombs though. Bomb range is a staple though!
You misunderstood me. I'm not saying you're damage stacking your weapons like an E-Liter. I'm saying you seem to approach weapons with a "This ability is a must for this weapon!" mindset and I was saying that it doesn't have to be the case. If you keep your mind open towards creative ability configurations and playstyles, you'll find there's a lot that can be done.

Everytime I see people rationalize the abilities they pick for a particular weapon, they have different ability recommendations and the rationale is generally sound: they can all be right. Well besides Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort which have no real use in ranked if I'm not mistaken (you're not likely to win ranked in the first minute vs a competent team) unless you're purposely handicapping yourself.

(Will reply to the rest...eventually!) :D
Take your time! :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
LOL!

Those would be @Zombie Aladdin 's "little inkers" - they're obsessed with inking every corner, and not interested in combat at all. They just want to paint things! Which is of course a very poor way to win in Splatoon. Some of them are kids, some of them are pacifists, most of them are simply bad at playing Splatoon :)They choose rollers because those seem to be tremendous painting weapons that don't need to fight much. These aren't really "roller users" so much as painters that don't want to fight, so they pick rollers since that seems like the way to go! We roller users that are a bit more serious abut really "playing rollers" are a little more splat happy than them...and actually know how to fling! ;)

I embarrassingly get run over by some of these guys when I have carbon - I try to go for the ohko and they just run me over! :p

And for anyone tuning in, the summary bullet points for the rest of the conversation are:
  • Stealth ninja camping carbon rollers that park in your base
  • Terrible team mates that TRY to make you lose on purpose
  • @Hawk Seow 's unnatural obsession with the Recon clothing main ability
  • Dynamo/Splat/Krak-On roller flick-roll-swim turfing techniqe
  • Turf War team strategies
  • Lots of OT E-liter talk between an eliter/carbon main and a - not sure what HS mains.
There's the cliff notes! And given all my whining about camping Carbon's it should be a good indication for the initial question: Rollers are EVERYWHERE! :D
To prove @Award's point, @Miirisa please use Recon sometime! :P

Also feel free to just discuss/ask questions regarding any roller use and we can talk about it too! :D

Award

A ladder system would be more fun in general I think, like every 3 months the ranks get reset so people have to play again. Right now I know some people reach S 30 (the default number when you hit S) and stop playing because they dare not rank down again. I wouldn't describe it as 'broken' but yea part of the reason I dislike rank is how you'll see particular weapons appear based on maps and modes.
Definitely! a few of us in another thread had discussed the need for a ladder reset at least every season or something...like almost any other ladder ranked game has. People would be anoyed that they lost their rank again, but it's also the only way to deal with the evolving meta of a new game.

Actually choosing the weapon for the map/mode was one of the core concepts of the game the devs had from the start and is the reason for the often complained about 2-map rotations. It's' a core concept built into the entire design and isn't going to be changed. I don't mind people choosing the weapon they think is ideal for a map combination and mode. What I dislike is how you see everyone take the SAME weapons for a given mode regardless of map because it's been determined that TTK & Gals are the only weapons that matter. That kind of "everybody has to play the same thing because it's the OP best" is when "playing the meta" really sucks. Maye I should become a TTK/Gal griefer (Oh wait, I already play E-Liter which is basically that already...). :p

It's simple, they dislike chargers (be it useless or too useful) so they go out of their way to be griefers.
I guess I just don't understand the mentality of a griefer. Not sure how they think chargers are usless in a game where most complain chargers are OP, nor how it's fun dedicating that time to doing nothing but bothering a single weapon in the game, not because the user is particularly good or bad but just because of their weapon choice. Sounds more annoying than fun. They cloak it in arrogance of being a superior player with a superior weapon choice, but I'm guessing if they didn't suck badly themselves, they would have more fun playing than just hiding in friendly turf "attacking" their own team. :)

My top 5 weapons in Splatnet are pretty much all hipster weapons :p
LOL, I can't imagine what's more "hipster" than hydra and eliter :)

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying you're damage stacking your weapons like an E-Liter. I'm saying you seem to approach weapons with a "This ability is a must for this weapon!" mindset and I was saying that it doesn't have to be the case. If you keep your mind open towards creative ability configurations and playstyles, you'll find there's a lot that can be done.

Everytime I see people rationalize the abilities they pick for a particular weapon, they have different ability recommendations and the rationale is generally sound: they can all be right. Well besides Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort which have no real use in ranked if I'm not mistaken (you're not likely to win ranked in the first minute vs a competent team) unless you're purposely handicapping yourself.
Ahh, oh, no I don't pick a "must have" ability for any weapon other than dmg up for eliter due to charge times, when I say a must have, I mean for my play style with it. I.E. I'd run out of in with x weapon without ink recover, or I wouldn't be able to rush players like i do with Y weapon without run speed etc. And even with CEliter I'm running less dmg up than conventional wisdom says because I REALLY want my super jump up for how I play it (And I want to wear my straw boater hat because it's sooo fresh and totes adorbs! :D)

To prove @Award's point, @Miirisa please use Recon sometime! :p

Also feel free to just discuss/ask questions regarding any roller use and we can talk about it too! :D
LOL, except dynamo...I've yet to unlock it from the campaign! I keep saving the campaign for when the server is down for maintenance....I'm at the last boss, but I backtracked to collect all the scrolls first. I'm probably the only lv48 almost 49 that hasn't beat the camaign yet :p But I know somewhat how to play it.

BTW, I tried out inkbrush again today. I was a killing machine and had tons of fun with it - top ink, top kills most rounds. Wouldn't main it - too much button mashing, tendon fatigue, and gamepad wear, but it's fun. (Technically on topic since officially brushes ARE rollers.) AND I DIDN'T CAMP THE BRUSH EITHER!!! :mad:;)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
You know what? An Aerospray RG with the recon skill is perfect for that cleaning up. Recon allows you to spot potential ninjas hiding in your side as well as land precision inkstrikes. There are ways to be efficient in this game (like there's absolutely an efficient way of using Splat Rollers to turf but most people just hold down ZR and roll for 75% of the match, I used to do that until I compared the efficiency in the firing range), but if your team is getting held back by ambushers then your efficiency is for naught.
Huh, never even thought about using Recom for that. Said ninja are rather rare when I play though, but if they become more common, I'll put Recon back on my list. When they do show up though, coming out of tiny spots to ambush everyone, it really stands out to me because of how unexpected it all it. They almost always use a roller of some sort too, even though I'd imagine a Sploosh-o-matic or even a Bamboozler could do the job too.

That's just...odd. I'm not sure I understand the thought process behind that. Not caring about winning or losing is a good attitude to have for these games. (I'll keep reminding myself of that the next time I'm in ranked and see my rank plummeting :p) INTENTIONALLY trying to lose it, and trying to gain support for not caring about winning or losing by forcing your team to lose seems kind of contradictory. Wouldn't it make more sense to just play it leisurely?
That's Smash Bros. for you. It developed a taunt-party subculture where players will not fight and encourage others to not do so, and breaking the rules means a beatdown--a lot of taunt-partygoers are pretty tough and relentless. Even if they don't fight, they'll just wait for nonparticipants to leave.

Two things they're not understanding when trying to bring that to Splatoon: The first is that Splatoon is a team-based game. Goofing off is harmful to teammates unless there's an equivalent on the other side. Smash Bros. taunt people understand this; they avoid Team Battles. (Most do anyway.) The other is that the squid-partygoers do not react to hostile opponents. Smash Bros. taunt people enforce what they do through their ferocity in combat when they do get serious. Even if squid party people try to do that, teammates can't hurt them, so they can't really retaliate.

I've seen players do that actually, but I THINK I've figured out it's someone that has serious internet problems going on and those really odd zombie-like motions are the AI trying to predict what to do with them while there's intermittent signal. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't someone I was trying to shoot on the other team. They'd walk over to a ledge, slump over, throw a splat bomb, and sit there, throw another splat bomb, sit there, throw another splat bomb, then they'd move around a little normally, then go back to the same spot and throw a splat bomb and sit there - then they vaporized. And another one in mahi a player just stoped and was staring at the walls near their base, slumped over, but then they'd move around and fight, then slump over again, then move and fight, then slump over. And I saw one that would make these zombie like paths down the side in skatepark. Then teleport all the way back, and do it again, then teleport all the way back and do it again. I don't think it's kids that can't hit the buttons. I think it's players that are mostly disconnected or on dial-up like performance but still almost-sort-of able to play enough to not get DC'd trying to hang on. The bad netcode makes them have these highly robotic actions while it tries to figure out what they probably did while it didn't get updates from them. I'm guessing they're probably trying to play and raging at "connection unstable" messages while we wonder why they're moving like robots.
Oh, okay then. I didn't know an incredibly unstable opponent would be like that. It must be the game trying to fill in the gaps of incomplete information. It works if the gaps are small; actions are easily deductible. When the gaps are like the Grand Canyon, I take it that's when the game decides it cannot play for you and just has you stand thee. Said person who stared into Blackbelly corridors, by the way, did so for two consecutive matches, then was gone after the second one. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a normal player with a horrid connection.

Haha, that's pretty funny! That must have been a sight. I can't imagine too many kids at home really playing it though that don't know how. I mean playing it for free at the expo because they saw the display is one thing, but actually having parents buy it for him for the cost of a WiiU would be another. You're probably right, there probably are some.
Depends on the parents. There are definitely plenty who will pay for a Wii U and Splatoon without hesitation. They spoil their kids silly. There are parents who will spend far more expensive things for their kids on impulse than a Wii U and a game. Any public archery range will be full of those parents whenever the Sun is out. A good bow and all required accessories, when bought new (and parents will almost always buy new), can set you back about $1,200. Arrows can cost up to $60 each. If you talk to the kids, it becomes clear the idea of parents refusing to buy something does not exist to them. If youtalk to the parents, it becomes clear they will spare no expense to keep their kids happy.

These parents at the Nintendo Lounge, however, knew pretty well that their son was not ready to play this game. They have some sense of responsibility (and presumably discipline).

I'm fine with AFKers. I understand people have emergencies crop up. But sometimes I get people who look like they're AFK and they still appear in my next game and continue to look AFK. That's when I go up to them and spam C'mon and if they still continue being inert in that match then I leave.

Oh I mean, I'll leave the lobby and then block them in the Wii U menu which shows the recent players you've played with. It doesn't outright bar them from playing with you but you're less likely to get them in random matchups.
If you don't see them moving much, it COULD be someone with a horrid connection, or it could also be a little kid. Some very small children are content to simply watch the action going on around them and are mesmerized by it. They don't yet understand the concept of a video game.

I'm quite sure some parents just let their children play, similar to how they hand them their smartphones to play games. I'm not surprised that some of these kids have absolutely no idea what they're doing. If the kid in question is actually playing but not optimally (like they'll stand in unsafe areas totally unaware they're being targeted) then I'll try to protect them if it's within my capabilities (depends on what weapon and loadout I have).
Yeah, as far as those parents concerned, video games are just a way to keep their kids content, either as a babysitter or as a friend. That a game like Splatoon is a team-based game with randomly chosen teammates and opponents doesn't occur to them, or if they sufficiently spoil their kids, don't care and expect their kids' teammates to guide them through.

Heck, to some kids, the Internet itself is used as a babysitter by their parents. I was pestered for a long while on YouTube by a boy who, as it turns out, has parents who do exactly that. His infamy (he is apparently a real scourge to the Wikia network; he is one of only a handful of people who has been given a Wikia-wide ban--not that it stopped him) led people to soon figure out his real name and address, but his parents have no Internet or social media presence, so no one had any clue what they do through the day. As far as they're concerned, the Internet is a way to occupy their son's time, and nothing more.

The ones who mash "C'mon!" right from the start are always, without exception, low-skill players. They know the rules, they know what to do, and they know the stages well...they just end each match with 200p to 350p with splatteds greatly outnumbering their splats. It looks like they get flanked or ambushed easily. Hence, the "C'mon!" spamming seems to be them requesting a teammate to follow with them and help them attack and cover their sides.

I've often seen the flip-side too: Japaneseplayers who are severely losing and will squid-party because they've given up. THOSE are frustrating when they'reon my team because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They remove themselves from the match, putting us at a disadvantage. Now, if it's Turf War and the team is in Danger! with less than 30 seconds left, there's not much you can do, but in Ranked, an amount of coeback can happen. I've won Rainmaker matches where the opponent was already taking the Rainmaker up against their goal, I've won Tower Control matches where the opponentshave partially put the tower into the endpoint, and I've won Splat Zone matches where the opposing team's countdown reached 1. (I've even had one where we were at 100-1 and we came back to win.) To give up then is premature.

That being said, in Japanese culture, it's considere highly honorable to resign when you're in a competition and your situation is hopeless, rather than to keep fighting on. In competitive Go, for instance, it's actually a dishonor to know you have no hope of winning but continue to play until you're completely cornered. You are expected to surrender when you know you'll lose.

LOL!

Those roller users are not always the case. They are definitely focused entirely on inking and pick rollers because 1) they have a reputation for being good at inking, and 2) rollers are the weapon furthest removed from a shooter and most direct in understanding what they do, so rollers are appealing to people who have never played a shooter before. Many people start out using only rollers. Some of them are actually very good at what they do, turning in 1100p to 1400p every match BEFORE the victory bonus. The ones who just get splatted and ignore opponents, however, are most likely new to the game.

I don't mind people choosing the weapon they think is ideal for a map combination and mode. What I dislike is how you see everyone take the SAME weapons for a given mode regardless of map because it's been determined that TTK & Gals are the only weapons that matter. That kind of "everybody has to play the same thing because it's the OP best" is when "playing the meta" really sucks. Maye I should become a TTK/Gal griefer (Oh wait, I already play E-Liter which is basically that already...). :p
An easy way around that is to use uncommonly seen weapons. If the game likes to match people with those using the same weapon, a rare weapon will necessarily put you into diverse rooms. There's also a psychological effect. As the game tells you what weapon you were splatted by, someone who uses a common weapon who's getting splatted a lot by rare weapons might be tempted to diversify more. Some people don't think a weapon has much potential until they see skilled usage of that weapon. I'm sure I've done that with both Bamboozlers before.

Or you get them to stop playing, like what I did with Pokémon, defeating Uber Pokémon with my NU's. I inadvertently caused a small rise in usage of Masquerain over Pokémon Battle Revolution because I used one so effectively that people were saving Battle Passes and seeing how my Masquerain works. (In Pokémon Battle Revolution, you are allowed to get a copy of the opposing team to practice with, but you can't use online, though both players have to agree to it.)

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
To prove @Award's point, @Miirisa please use Recon sometime! :p

I`ll consider using recon with the dynamos! Although that would mean I`d have to give up my ink recovery up D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom