• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are rollers less used these days?

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I`ll consider using recon with the dynamos! Although that would mean I`d have to give up my ink recovery up D:
Hmm, I never really used Recon with Dynamos because I tend to play the vanilla version most of the time; sprinklers + echolocator is a pretty amazing loadout for it IMO. If you want to experiment with Recon the Gold Dynamo would be the one I'd try it with. Also, can't you put Ink Recovery Up on another piece of gear for the main??

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Hmm, I never really used Recon with Dynamos because I tend to play the vanilla version most of the time; sprinklers + echolocator is a pretty amazing loadout for it IMO. If you want to experiment with Recon the Gold Dynamo would be the one I'd try it with. Also, can't you put Ink Recovery Up on another piece of gear for the main??
Well I usually use a shirt with one main ink recovery and three sub savers...and the only piece of equipement that I have with recon is a shirt xD While I could use something else with ink recovery up it wouldn`t make up for the 3 lost sub abilities xD

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I see some rollers, mostly dynamo.
Yeah there are some rollers here and there but mostly when there`s blackbelly skatepark in the rotation..and when kelp dome is in the rotation there are dynamos everywhere.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The game just isn't matching you up in the right lobbies! I played on 5 different all-roller teams today alone! (and of course one of them the other team was all chargers... :rolleyes:) I was playing a bunch of different weapons today (CEliter-noscope, CHydra, DS, SSP, Clas.Squiff, Carbon.) I rarely saw a lobby that DIDN'T have a roller, usually more than one. One round had me on carbon, a dynamo on each team, and a krak-on on the other team, another had 2 carbons (one of which was this amazing ambush (not camper) carbon. I saw a LOT of rollers today! :D Maps were Mahi/Kelp, Mackerel/Flounder, Walleye/Hammerhead.

Though most of these were very high level lobbies (Turf War) where there were few players below A- rank. Most were A through S+ (with a scary number of "level 6" players who got kills in the double digits and trounced my S+,S,A-,me team thorougly... clearly alt accounts for S+/clan players. Maybe the issue is that only high level players play rollers these days? Or high level players play rollers in TW to cool down from the TTK/.96-a-thon that is ranked? :D Either way I probably lost more games than I won today... with our without rollers, it was BRUTAL!

Edit: @Hawk Seow , @Zombie Aladdin I'll definitely get back to responding to all your posts in this and other threads! It'll just take a while :D

And for those interested, yes, my new avatar is my actual inkling - that's my CEliter gear set for the moment (sometimes if it gets really brutal I'll swap the hat out for a headband with str up, but the hat is why I got into the Custom version of Eliter to begin with - TOTES ADORBS! [Insert Callie cheer!]

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
The game just isn't matching you up in the right lobbies! I played on 5 different all-roller teams today alone! (and of course one of them the other team was all chargers... :rolleyes:) I was playing a bunch of different weapons today (CEliter-noscope, CHydra, DS, SSP, Clas.Squiff, Carbon.) I rarely saw a lobby that DIDN'T have a roller, usually more than one. One round had me on carbon, a dynamo on each team, and a krak-on on the other team, another had 2 carbons (one of which was this amazing ambush (not camper) carbon. I saw a LOT of rollers today! :D Maps were Mahi/Kelp, Mackerel/Flounder, Walleye/Hammerhead.

Though most of these were very high level lobbies (Turf War) where there were few players below A- rank. Most were A through S+ (with a scary number of "level 6" players who got kills in the double digits and trounced my S+,S,A-,me team thorougly... clearly alt accounts for S+/clan players. Maybe the issue is that only high level players play rollers these days? Or high level players play rollers in TW to cool down from the TTK/.96-a-thon that is ranked? :D Either way I probably lost more games than I won today... with our without rollers, it was BRUTAL!

Edit: @Hawk Seow , @Zombie Aladdin I'll definitely get back to responding to all your posts in this and other threads! It'll just take a while :D

And for those interested, yes, my new avatar is my actual inkling - that's my CEliter gear set for the moment (sometimes if it gets really brutal I'll swap the hat out for a headband with str up, but the hat is why I got into the Custom version of Eliter to begin with - TOTES ADORBS! [Insert Callie cheer!]
Quick temporary reply: I assume it was Turf Wars? Were there even any Splat Rollers? Cause if so, your observations are corroborating what I said: a dearth of Splat Rollers in TW.

Award

Quick temporary reply: I assume it was Turf Wars? Were there even any Splat Rollers? Cause if so, your observations are corroborating what I said: a dearth of Splat Rollers in TW.
Nah, I see lots of splat rollers, too. Krak-ons are still the most popular choice in TW - the beacon option just makes sense since it's kind of slow moving on its own, and a kraken panic button comes in handy if you're focusing on ink, and, lets face it, Splat rollers are HARD to make great use of in TW - suction bombs drain too much ink. (I imagine it's quite the opposite for SZ however), but when I see teams of 3-4 rollers, one will usually be me on carbon, and among the other 3, 1-2 will be Splat.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Nah, I see lots of splat rollers, too. Krak-ons are still the most popular choice in TW - the beacon option just makes sense since it's kind of slow moving on its own, and a kraken panic button comes in handy if you're focusing on ink, and, lets face it, Splat rollers are HARD to make great use of in TW - suction bombs drain too much ink. (I imagine it's quite the opposite for SZ however), but when I see teams of 3-4 rollers, one will usually be me on carbon, and among the other 3, 1-2 will be Splat.
That's interesting, because on my side I rarely see good Splat Rollers. Weak Splat Rollers are a bit more common but still not as common as the rest. Actually, I can do well with Splat Rollers in TW, but it's not easy ever since the dumb nerfs...

RANT: I really cannot stand what Nintendo did to the rollers. Earlier whilst playing, I've had enemies (kid form) survive direct hits from my Gold Dynamo simply because I hit them with the side (roughly one third of the length). This is really frustrating, if I manage to get in that close a physical hit with the roller should mean death, not a half-life hit with no knockback or anything. Not letting the sides of the ink flicks OHKO is fine, but physically bashing them with the roller also needs to be down the center? Come on EAD, have some sense.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
That's interesting, because on my side I rarely see good Splat Rollers. Weak Splat Rollers are a bit more common but still not as common as the rest. Actually, I can do well with Splat Rollers in TW, but it's not easy ever since the dumb nerfs...

RANT: I really cannot stand what Nintendo did to the rollers. Earlier whilst playing, I've had enemies (kid form) survive direct hits from my Gold Dynamo simply because I hit them with the side (roughly one third of the length). This is really frustrating, if I manage to get in that close a physical hit with the roller should mean death, not a half-life hit with no knockback or anything. Not letting the sides of the ink flicks OHKO is fine, but physically bashing them with the roller also needs to be down the center? Come on EAD, have some sense.
FINALLY! Someone who hates the nerf just as much as I do! I just hate how nintendo doesn`t focuse on the real problem (the gals and tentatek) BUT INSTEAD THEY NERFED A MEELEE WEAPON BECAUSE SOME IDIOTS DON`T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM!?? I MEAN SERIOUSLY WHY?? And this short rant is over xD

Award

I'll join the rant! That is indeed idiotic. It makes zero sense that a melee weapon would not be ohko. Inkbrush, octobrush, ok....but those rollers, even carbon, look seriously painful. Why would the melee weapon NOT be ohko outside the center? Too many times I pop out with carbon and it clips the side and I don't get the kill, which makes no sense at all. Dynamo is REALLY weird. You mean to tell me you have that humongous 45 degree arc of ohko devastation, but PHYSICALLY striking someone with the side of it doesn't kill them? I haven't played dynamo myself yet so I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing what it's like from the other end. From the front of it, personally I think the width of the ohko needs to be REDUCED further, it's too big, and too damaging from too far without having to aim anything, but up CLOSE the ohko should be increased. It should be a devastating up close weapon that can do serious damage at range, and instead it's a devastating ranged weapon that can be moderately dangerous up close.

In reality, my brain tells me the reason the reduced the damage of the physical roller with the flick is because they do not calculate damage separately, and in fact, the game does not register physical contact, instead that's merely an animation and the flick is the ONLY damage quantifier with a hitbox - thus getting hit physically is just getting hit with the narrow end of the flick. That is to say I suspect they cant adjust the flick without adjusting the physical roller because there actually is no physical roller beyond animation purposes. But I still hate it.

Anyway, yeah I definitely see fairly good ambush splat rollers (I don't mean campers, just ambushers) and the periodic offensive splat roller joining the krakons.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I'll join the rant! That is indeed idiotic. It makes zero sense that a melee weapon would not be ohko. Inkbrush, octobrush, ok....but those rollers, even carbon, look seriously painful. Why would the melee weapon NOT be ohko outside the center? Too many times I pop out with carbon and it clips the side and I don't get the kill, which makes no sense at all. Dynamo is REALLY weird. You mean to tell me you have that humongous 45 degree arc of ohko devastation, but PHYSICALLY striking someone with the side of it doesn't kill them? I haven't played dynamo myself yet so I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing what it's like from the other end. From the front of it, personally I think the width of the ohko needs to be REDUCED further, it's too big, and too damaging from too far without having to aim anything, but up CLOSE the ohko should be increased. It should be a devastating up close weapon that can do serious damage at range, and instead it's a devastating ranged weapon that can be moderately dangerous up close.

In reality, my brain tells me the reason the reduced the damage of the physical roller with the flick is because they do not calculate damage separately, and in fact, the game does not register physical contact, instead that's merely an animation and the flick is the ONLY damage quantifier with a hitbox - thus getting hit physically is just getting hit with the narrow end of the flick. That is to say I suspect they cant adjust the flick without adjusting the physical roller because there actually is no physical roller beyond animation purposes. But I still hate it.

Anyway, yeah I definitely see fairly good ambush splat rollers (I don't mean campers, just ambushers) and the periodic offensive splat roller joining the krakons.
The Dynamo is difficult to use sometimes...but why did they nerf carbons tho?? Like that weapon is carried by burst bombs. Rollers need a slight buff at least

Award

The Dynamo is difficult to use sometimes...but why did they nerf carbons tho?? Like that weapon is carried by burst bombs. Rollers need a slight buff at least
I'm pretty sure they just blanket nerfed all rollers to the precision strike only because of all the complaints about the wide fling. Carbon, in SOME ways gets off easy since its fast swing lets it recover faster and it's not as wide to begin with so you had to be fairly accurate pre-nerf anyway, but with carbon due to it's short range, you're going to be doing direct melee more times than not since there's no real fling range to use so it really hurts as you're at point blank in all cases. There's no useful fling range to depend on like a Splat or Dynamo. Clipping a sploosh with the edge, or worse, they lag & teleport aside is VERY painful. Splat/Krak rollers remain my biggest bane since they can run over me if the ohko doesn't work or lag jumps them closer (and of course their fling if they see me coming.)

Personally I think a melee strike should be ohko and fling should remain as-is (and dynamo fling should probably be nerfed a little so it's not so wide an ohko radius so far away - either reduce range, or just reduce the ohko radius on the fling so the entire team doesn't get wiped out if standing on the same long wall when a dynamo swings like the ledge on Ancho-V and Mahi. ) But I imagine there's no concept of "melee hit" in the damage code & hit detection, just the fling.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
FINALLY! Someone who hates the nerf just as much as I do! I just hate how nintendo doesn`t focuse on the real problem (the gals and tentatek) BUT INSTEAD THEY NERFED A MEELEE WEAPON BECAUSE SOME IDIOTS DON`T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM!?? I MEAN SERIOUSLY WHY?? And this short rant is over xD
Haha actually I did mention that in my first reply on page 1. It's just that, it applies to every roller and it doesn't make sense to me that Splat Rollers or Dynamos need to have to deal with hitting with the physical center of the roller to score an OHKO. Carbons swing so fast that it's almost justified :x

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Anyway, here are a bunch of roller-related videos:
  • https://streamable.com/d06f - A small collection of "I can't believe that didn't splat!" moments from earlier today, last one is a case of really stupid lag on Michael's part I assume. He and I both ended up with 8-3, I will just presume his kills came about from his 'lag armour' (SALT ALERT!).
  • https://streamable.com/arcs - A little comical clip that starts off with a slightly similar "I hit him but he survived" situation. I then went full Jaws on him.
  • - Walleye Warehouse. Enemy team isn't exactly amazing, but here you'll see the turfing technique I was talking about earlier. Also, I think most rollers know this already but one of the advantages of rolling is that you can ink 'safe turf' whilst checking the map or your back (0:51 in the video).
  • - A match on Saltspray Rig vs other weapons. At 1:53, the pre-nerf roller would have splatted in the first hit.
  • - Fun with friends on Urchin Underpass :p
  • - Dynamo on Piranha Pit is pretty awesome. I screwed up a lot in the last minute or so though :(
  • - Walleye again but with Dynamo.
BONUS! A few matches all the way from back when I was a meek kid/weak squid (11th June 2015, aka Splatoon before all the changes). It's actually funny to me when I watch them now :D
Cheers!

Award

Haha actually I did mention that in my first reply on page 1. It's just that, it applies to every roller and it doesn't make sense to me that Splat Rollers or Dynamos need to have to deal with hitting with the physical center of the roller to score an OHKO. Carbons swing so fast that it's almost justified :x
In all likelihood my missed flings are more often related to lag than to the nerf with carbon. It's a fairly narrow track roller to begin with so it's not too hard to hit in center anyway, especially when you're used to eliter. But those missed flings, lag or otherwise are infuriating anyway.

Award

BTW, awesome videos. One thing about rollers is, they're very frustrating to watch someone else play. They're so spastic with so much movment, you somehow don't notice it when you're the one playing, but you watch someone else playing and it's dizzying and hard to follow :p

Also I watched the first one, and my video quality is really awful on here, and didn't recognize the hero roller, so I thought it was a dynamo, and I keep thinking HOW are you moving that fast with that thing? Then I watched the dynamo ones and realized it wasn't. :)

I admit, I'm a little jealous of the splat/hero roller fling range...your ability to just fling at something and get a splat....meanwhile I have to run up and hold their hand before I splat them :p

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
BTW, awesome videos. One thing about rollers is, they're very frustrating to watch someone else play. They're so spastic with so much movment, you somehow don't notice it when you're the one playing, but you watch someone else playing and it's dizzying and hard to follow :p

Also I watched the first one, and my video quality is really awful on here, and didn't recognize the hero roller, so I thought it was a dynamo, and I keep thinking HOW are you moving that fast with that thing? Then I watched the dynamo ones and realized it wasn't. :)

I admit, I'm a little jealous of the splat/hero roller fling range...your ability to just fling at something and get a splat....meanwhile I have to run up and hold their hand before I splat them :p
Oh I know what you mean about the movement. I play on maximum sensitivity so all it can be dizzying to watch my videos at times. I move my camera about similarly quickly with stuff like SSJs, RGs and basically anything that doesn't need charging) :P

Don't have to be jealous about the Splat Roller really, Carbon is the one with burst cancelling and when up close splats in half the time. If anything, Splat Rollers are generally better off attempting OHKOs (at times it's really 2HKO with 2 batches of ink hitting the enemy extremely quickly) with the flick than melee as you can see. The thing is usually if you're at that flick range, there's a high chance you're going to get shot down already since you can't really roll fast enough to get within melee range quick and flicking the ink to create your path gives you away pretty fast.

As for video quality, you might want to force them to render in 720p 60fps, that's how I record and upload my matches so be sure to click that option :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
In all likelihood my missed flings are more often related to lag than to the nerf with carbon. It's a fairly narrow track roller to begin with so it's not too hard to hit in center anyway, especially when you're used to eliter. But those missed flings, lag or otherwise are infuriating anyway.
Yea I don't think the nerf hit carbon that hard and it's arguably the one that could do with it considering it's speed at both rolling and swinging. The thing about Dynamo is, it swings down in 47f, essentially takes 4x the time a Carbon does at 12f (I'm not taking recovery frames into account here btw) so they've kinda made it the E-Liter of rollers at melee range. Yes it's definitely possible to correct your aim mid swing but the way this game's camera handles close ranges combined with the high mobility in this game in general makes it a crapshoot most of the time.

Award

Oh I know what you mean about the movement. I play on maximum sensitivity so all it can be dizzying to watch my videos at times. I move my camera about similarly quickly with stuff like SSJs, RGs and basically anything that doesn't need charging) :p
Yeah I play rollers and aerosprays on max, too. But watching someone ELSE play is jarring. :)

Don't have to be jealous about the Splat Roller really, Carbon is the one with burst cancelling and when up close splats in half the time. If anything, Splat Rollers are generally better off attempting OHKOs (at times it's really 2HKO with 2 batches of ink hitting the enemy extremely quickly) with the flick than melee as you can see. The thing is usually if you're at that flick range, there's a high chance you're going to get shot down already since you can't really roll fast enough to get within melee range quick and flicking the ink to create your path gives you away pretty fast.
Burst cancelling can be so overrated (in any weapon) only because of it's propensity to lag-miss combined with it's ability to drain your ink reserves. Particularly on something like carbon that CAN dig its own escape route and/or can pave a way for a rundown, that extra ink can come in handy to try to get that last fling in. I rely heavily on my burst bombs, but not so much for the 1-2 punch but for simply taking foes down at range when I don't intend to go after them with the roller. Vanilla eliter has the same issue, IMO. It's all fine and good to fall back on them, and so many people hate the "burst bomb main" snipers, but I'd rather focus on the 2-shot at close range since the burst bombs can deplete your ink and leave you stranded.

But yeah, I settled on carbon because although I love splat roller's range, I had such a habit to get in too close with them and try to melee, and carbon's so much better at that (if riskier and resulting in more trades.) But in the past few days I've seen so many times where my team was boxed in in a map. Not quite spawncamped, but getting there, and it took my carbon speeding along and rushing out into the fray, catching 3/4 the enemies off guard and clearing the way and that gave the team a chance to push. We still lost, but it was a close loss instead of a crush. Ended up being splatted or trading a lot more than usual, but, especially with that limited range, it can't be avoided, if you try to go in safe, they'll get you first.

As for video quality, you might want to force them to render in 720p 60fps, that's how I record and upload my matches so be sure to click that option :D
Yeah, video is just weird on this computer. It kind of has this choppy stuttering 20fps playback most of the time :p

Yea I don't think the nerf hit carbon that hard and it's arguably the one that could do with it considering it's speed at both rolling and swinging. The thing about Dynamo is, it swings down in 47f, essentially takes 4x the time a Carbon does at 12f (I'm not taking recovery frames into account here btw) so they've kinda made it the E-Liter of rollers at melee range. Yes it's definitely possible to correct your aim mid swing but the way this game's camera handles close ranges combined with the high mobility in this game in general makes it a crapshoot most of the time.
True, but like eliter dynamo has that range, and arguably more devastating than eliter, it has that vast ohko arc of annihilation. As long as it sits back there shelling, nobody should be able to GET close enough! :) I'm sick of "samurai-armor-dynamos" everywhere :p

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
  • https://streamable.com/d06f - A small collection of "I can't believe that didn't splat!" moments from earlier today, last one is a case of really stupid lag on Michael's part I assume. He and I both ended up with 8-3, I will just presume his kills came about from his 'lag armour' (SALT ALERT!).
  • https://streamable.com/arcs - A little comical clip that starts off with a slightly similar "I hit him but he survived" situation. I then went full Jaws on him.
  • - Walleye Warehouse. Enemy team isn't exactly amazing, but here you'll see the turfing technique I was talking about earlier. Also, I think most rollers know this already but one of the advantages of rolling is that you can ink 'safe turf' whilst checking the map or your back (0:51 in the video).
  • - A match on Saltspray Rig vs other weapons. At 1:53, the pre-nerf roller would have splatted in the first hit.
  • - Fun with friends on Urchin Underpass :p
  • - Dynamo on Piranha Pit is pretty awesome. I screwed up a lot in the last minute or so though :(
  • - Walleye again but with Dynamo.
BONUS! A few matches all the way from back when I was a meek kid/weak squid (11th June 2015, aka Splatoon before all the changes). It's actually funny to me when I watch them now :D
Cheers!
Some moments from those videos were so weird. You clearly hit them and they didn`t die...You`re really good with the rollers btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom