• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Burgers vs Pizza for next NA Splatfest

Burgers or Pizza?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
What I am saying is, including this board, there are a variety of other boards that cater to this game, in addition to the gaming community in general, and a reading of gaming news, forums, information boards, etc., would be beneficial in this case. Check it out. You can apologize later, or not.
Dude, give me some links, recall the IGNs of the dudes you faces that left you in this mood, and maybe you'll sound less like a pretentious idiot with a dictionary next to him so that he can look for big buzzwords, and not bother to read the definitions.

And even then, level isn't a good measure of someone's skill, especially below lvl 20. It's more or less a measure of how long they've had to play. Some people can pick up the game faster than others.

My advice to you: Don't confuse correlation with causation, don't try to sound smart, and most importantly, git gud, skrublord.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
well not really when it said game. like at the results screen after all the point were collected. and even those disconnects were also minimal.
Oh okay, yeah that happened too I guess but it still counts... I lost those ones though that disconnected after I got my points and such

And even then, level isn't a good measure of someone's skill, especially below lvl 20. It's more or less a measure of how long they've had to play. Some people can pick up the game faster than others.
This! I played next to a level 9 yesterday AND SHE DID PHENOMENAL Sometimes she beat me on points cause I was second in the list and I got like 1200-2000...

Last edited by a moderator:

U N Nown

Inkster Jr.
What does that have to do with you somehow knowing people are smurfing? You are literally saying nothing. I know Smurfing exists, but you saying those people were smurfing doesn't just automatically make it so. You made an assumption off of nothing other than you lost to Low level players, that is called an empty assumption, which just ends up sounding like excuses. There is no possible way you'd know, for a fact, that those people were smurfing.

Apologize? Lol, wtf are you even saying right now? Why would I apologize for you whining and making excuses for losing?

You would be amazed what some know.

Whining? All that occurred was an observation, You picked it out and have perpetuated the length with whiny commentaary, presumably under the guise of indignant disbelief that there are slimy creeps smurfing the system.

An apology was never expected. That was merely rhetorical sarcasm.

BTW, Burgers won.

TA

Lol, you did, I've seen some insane burger Win Streaks here and there. Saw someone with a nice hefty +71.5. . . Like, who even has that much time on their hands? lol

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I mean that's can be true for both sides. What I'm sure most likely happened, if anything, was people saw Pizza was more popular, so because this Forum has beat "The popular team always loses" to the ground, people chose accordingly. It's gotten to the point to where it seems no one is choosing based on their preference, it's choosing whatever the least popular team is because we've pummeled it into everyone's heads. I'm sure that has mindset has carried on outside of Squidboards as well. I personally choose what I prefer, but I can't help but feel that isn't the case with everyone.

Guess those 6 Sea Snails are just that important.
Yeah, personally, I just pick whichever team I prefer without concern to which will be more popular. Hence, I currently have a Splatfest record of 2-2.

But people go nuts over even the slightest bragging rights. During the Industrial Revolution, there was this man who had just been hired as a factory manager at a place with bad work habits. He grabbed a wooden board off the floor and asked everyone who the hardest worker was, then attached the board onto a wall where his workspace was where everyone could see. Productivity went way up because now everyone was competing to have that board. And thus the Employee of the Month concept was born.

I don't know how popular the idea is in North American Splatfests to intentionally pick the minority team though. It may be that some people pick them to avoid having to battle people from their own team, which is genuinely somewhat annoying because it feels pointless (even though it isn't).

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Even if there was smurfing involved, it'll happen on both sides of the fence. Probably not as much as the popular team, but just saying one team loses due to smurfing is not even remotely problematic.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I don't know how popular the idea is in North American Splatfests to intentionally pick the minority team though. It may be that some people pick them to avoid having to battle people from their own team, which is genuinely somewhat annoying because it feels pointless (even though it isn't).
@NWPlayer123 did the opposite for the Ninjas Vs. Pirates splatfest under the logic that she'd have less pressure to deal with.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol, I know smurfing happens, but to assume EVERY low level player that beat you was doing it is absolutely ridiculous. To assume ANY did off of nothing but the idea that you lost to low level players isn't too far behind it. Calling people that may not have ever smurfed in their life "Pathetic, Slimy Creeps" is unnecessary and rude.

Love how you are using your words of the day. Good for you. ;)

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
I wasn't able to participate in this Splatfest unfortunately. I shall note that the only way that Team Pizza could have overcome the 12% win percentage difference is if Team Pizza had a popularity value of over 86%, which is so unlikely to happen that it is practically impossible.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I mean that's can be true for both sides. What I'm sure most likely happened, if anything, was people saw Pizza was more popular, so because this Forum has beat "The popular team always loses" to the ground, people chose accordingly. It's gotten to the point to where it seems no one is choosing based on their preference, it's choosing whatever the least popular team is because we've pummeled it into everyone's heads. I'm sure that has mindset has carried on outside of Squidboards as well. I personally choose what I prefer, but I can't help but feel that isn't the case with everyone.

Guess those 6 Sea Snails are just that important.
Yes they are. That is the problem. People who care about sea snails will choose the less popular side in order to have a higher concentration of good players to get those extra snails. Snails either need to be devalued or accessible outside of splatfest. At least if Nintendo actually cares about making splatfest fun or an accurate reflection of popularity.

You should be able to get snails as a way of leveling up after you reach 50. For me, that would make splatfest fun again.

U N Nown

Inkster Jr.
Lol, I know smurfing happens, but to assume EVERY low level player that beat you was doing it is absolutely ridiculous. To assume ANY did off of nothing but the idea that you lost to low level players isn't too far behind it. Calling people that may not have ever smurfed in their life "Pathetic, Slimy Creeps" is unnecessary and rude.

Love how you are using your words of the day. Good for you. ;)

You are frustrated.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You are frustrated.
I'm not, I'm just pointing out the flaws in your logic.

Yes they are. That is the problem. People who care about sea snails will choose the less popular side in order to have a higher concentration of good players to get those extra snails. Snails either need to be devalued or accessible outside of splatfest. At least if Nintendo actually cares about making splatfest fun or an accurate reflection of popularity.

You should be able to get snails as a way of leveling up after you reach 50. For me, that would make splatfest fun again.
I mean, I care about Sea Snails, they enable me to get all my gear the way I want them. However, although I also play this game competitively, I play it for the fun (as much fun as you can have while raging at the TV screen). I guess it's just like in any game that becomes competitive. There's some aspects that people will go too far with and remove the fun from (for themselves). Not that there's anything wrong with that. But for those of us that do choose the team they prefer it can bite us in the butt sometimes.

i wouldn't be opposed to weekly challenges or something that give Sea Snails. That'd actually be a pretty cool change of pace.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So another Splatfest has come & gone. Props to the Burgers for a well-deserved win! I'm content with what I got, so I won't ***** about the results.

Except... well, I think it kinda sucks that Marie's only won 2 Splatfests, both here and apparently the world (so I've heard).

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
At this point, I feel like the trend of the less popular side winning NA Splatfests may have become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We had a few Splatfests in which the less popular side won, people got it into their heads that the less popular side would tend to have an advantage in wins, and now the people who are in it for the snails (that is, the veteran players) tend to opt for the less popular team on purpose, thus creating the advantage through their own actions.
That actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, the first few splatfests were likely demographic issues, but they seemed to show a pattern. People who are skilled and talented would want to join the lower-numbers team, both to get more snails from the pattern, and to face the other team more often.

In Jp, nearly all the splatfests are won by the more popular team. Maybe they have the same trend as we have, joining the more popular team for a greater chance to win.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I think the reason our trend emerged in the first place is due to american philosophies encouraging going out in one last blaze of glory in an unfavorable situation, among other things i can't necessarily name.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
It's because it has mirror symmetry rather than rotational symmetry. Because Inklings shoot from the right side of their bodies and not the middle, it gives players who start on the left side a slight advantage, rather than both sides being completely equals like any other stage.

Personally, it's only really a problem in the highest levels of play, which, frankly, only a very small amount of players are actually at. The majority of Splatfest participants are playing for fun, and they won't care which side of Saltspray Rig they play on.
Thanks for the explanation. :3 I wonder if there'll ever be any more stages with mirror symmetry.

I tend to agree with this a lot. The fact that the reward for winning is so high makes people join teams they don't necessarily prefer in order to win. This is encouraging people not to join the team they legitimately prefer, which is how it's really supposed to be.

Regardless, something needs to be done, whether it is changing the 6x multiplier, trying to choose themes that are much closer in popularity, or reducing the value of the reward for being on the winning side. Or else we're just going have the same thing happen again next time.

Except... well, I think it kinda sucks that Marie's only won 2 Splatfests, both here and apparently the world (so I've heard).
Worldwide, Callie is 16-7. In Japan, 5-3. In Europe, 5-2. In NA, 6-2.

It seems that no matter the region, Callie is more apt to win, for some reason.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I might have lost the war, but I only lost like, 3 of the battles against team Burger (and I made it to Queen). So I'm not upset about losing at all. I kicked ***, and had a great time.

Here's to the Luna Blaster, and it's sneak attacky goodness~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom