• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Burgers vs Pizza for next NA Splatfest

Burgers or Pizza?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
Sometimes, a team is just worse.

Like Planes VS. Cars. Planes didn't lose because we were more popular. Planes lost because more of our players were just plain bad. I'm saying this as someone who was on Team Plane. We didn't do well and we lost most of our matches because our team played like they had never used their weapons before. From my point of view, it seemed very similar for Team Pizza this time around.
I was on Team Plane and I had my best performance ever. We just kept winning over and over again and I made it to King so fast. I would have kept playing but we were so dominant I thought we had it in the bag for sure and actually felt sorry for Team Car.

I was dumbfounded when we lost. I seriously could not believe it.

I obviously just got lucky being on great teams.

AidanC97

Senior Squid
NNID
aidancalhoun
Man team pizza actually gave a fight! I thought my matches alone were already decided. Congrats to Team Burgers. They did well

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Welp. Burgers sure did well that fest.

Whatever, I still get 18 Snails because I put up with all our bad odds to be a King!

U N Nown

Inkster Jr.
Lol, so it's a fact those people were smurfing? Or are you just making an assumption on nothing other than they were doing good?
What I am saying is, including this board, there are a variety of other boards that cater to this game, in addition to the gaming community in general, and a reading of gaming news, forums, information boards, etc., would be beneficial in this case. Check it out. You can apologize later, or not.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
I had a lot of disconnections but they were always between matches. During the Turf Wars themselves I had virtually no issues.

Anyway, congrats team Burger! I played for a good long while and it was a lot of fun. You think we'll get a Christmas-themed splatfest before the year is done?
At this point, I feel like the trend of the less popular side winning NA Splatfests may have become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We had a few Splatfests in which the less popular side won, people got it into their heads that the less popular side would tend to have an advantage in wins, and now the people who are in it for the snails (that is, the veteran players) tend to opt for the less popular team on purpose, thus creating the advantage through their own actions.
I think you're right. There's this conception now that the less popular team has more better players, so all the good players flock to it and, well, then it ends up having a lot of good players. Meanwhile, all the people who play the game more casually just pick whatever team they like best. (I kind of wish everyone would just do that... =p)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Congratulations to Team Burger for the win. I'm not even mad and the snails I got went and actually made my Octoling set not suck. I'm happy with what I got and I sided my favorite food in the world.

Now let's be real. The x6 multiplier encourages unfair team placement, removing the fun of Splatfest. All you have to do is get a rough idea on what side is more popular from Twitter, Facebook, and the like and pick the unpopular team and you're guaranteed the win. This is how it was for two Splatfests in a row and the multiplier needs to be changed to something less or Splatfest is going to continue like this and that will **** off the casuals.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Now let's be real. The x6 multiplier encourages unfair team placement, removing the fun of Splatfest. All you have to do is get a rough idea on what side is more popular from Twitter, Facebook, and the like and pick the unpopular team and you're guaranteed the win. This is how it was for two Splatfests in a row and the multiplier needs to be changed to something less or Splatfest is going to continue like this and that will **** off the casuals.
I wouldn't say the multiplier needs to be changed. My opinion is that the themes should. While us in North America often get good ones, Nintendo needs to introduce some that are less one-sided and more neutral, or more attractive for both sides. I remember people complaining during the first splatfests that they were based entirely upon popularity. Then Nintendo listened to those complaints and increased the multiplier so that the popular team doesn't always win, and still people are complaining. By changing the themes to be equally enticing, this would make people feel less unhappy about losses solely due to the multiplier.

Keep in my mind I say all this having chosen Pizza. Yes I'm disappointed my team lost but in all fairness you can sort of anticipate which side will win - which thus means you could still chose the side that is most likely going to if you really want more sea snails.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
If anyone's curious, I did the math, and under other win multipliers, the results would've been as follows. The first number is always Team Burger, and the second number is always Team Pizza:

x1 multiplier: 93-107 (Team Pizza wins)
x2 multiplier: 149-151 (Team Pizza wins)
x3 multiplier: 205-195 (Team Burger wins)
x4 multiplier: 261-239 (Team Burger wins)
x5 multiplier: 317-283 (Team Burger wins)

In order to force a tie, the multiplier has to be x13/6, or roughly x2.1666667. Both sides would have a point total of about 158.3333333.

I think Nintendo want to push for Pizza to win considering we just got our splatfest which is virtually ALL PIZZA.
I'd like to point out that Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, and Little Caesars currently have huge sales that began earlier in the week and running through the month too. This was probably just a coincidence though.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't get why people don't like Saltspray Rig. I like it. :3 Though I am disappointed in no Mahi-Mahi Resort.
It's because it has mirror symmetry rather than rotational symmetry. Because Inklings shoot from the right side of their bodies and not the middle, it gives players who start on the left side a slight advantage, rather than both sides being completely equals like any other stage.

Personally, it's only really a problem in the highest levels of play, which, frankly, only a very small amount of players are actually at. The majority of Splatfest participants are playing for fun, and they won't care which side of Saltspray Rig they play on.

Honestly, with the win multiplier cranked up to x6 it is almost a sure fire guarantee the minority team will win most of the time unless the population difference is very small with both teams on fairly equal terms. Especially with NA's record having only once had the popular team also have higher wins, but both of the scores were only of a 2% difference.

Just the fact we have a x6 multiplier now makes even a 2% difference (least possible difference) already require population to be 12% different. Personally felt the x4 multiplier was more than satisfactory and NA's Splatfest record can attest to how close those could be.
Unless there are a lot of people intentionally picking sides in order to force a minority win, both teams have an equal shot at winning. The x6 multiplier simply means that the team that wins more matches is extremely likely to be the one that wins the Splatfest.

The x6 multiplier was created in response to Japanese results, which are much different from American results and are still in an experimental stage. In Japan, the more popular team most often wins out, though why that happens is something I'm not sure at all about. But I can say that, looking at Japanese results, one team tends to be significantly more popular than the other (around the 60-40 area), but win rates are always close (never more than 55-45). North America is the only region that routinely gets lopsided win rates (except for Europe's Singing vs. Dancing).

Nevertheless, I'm sure patterns in American results have already been considered for possible further balancing of Splatfests. I think x6 is too much, and I hope those guys comig up with balance patches think so too.

I was on Team Plane and I had my best performance ever. We just kept winning over and over again and I made it to King so fast. I would have kept playing but we were so dominant I thought we had it in the bag for sure and actually felt sorry for Team Car.

I was dumbfounded when we lost. I seriously could not believe it.

I obviously just got lucky being on great teams.
Before I started playing, I've played other games that count collected wins and losses (most recently that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U feature with the pie charts) and spectated previous Splatfests that I learned to always give it your all and to not feel sorry for your opponents when you go on winning streaks, because you never know when they will pull back from out of nowhere. Your matches, in that Splatfest though, were just a drop in the bucket. But who knows how many drops in the bucket stopped because of that?

I wouldn't say the multiplier needs to be changed. My opinion is that the themes should. While us in North America often get good ones, Nintendo needs to introduce some that are less one-sided and more neutral, or more attractive for both sides. I remember people complaining during the first splatfests that they were based entirely upon popularity. Then Nintendo listened to those complaints and increased the multiplier so that the popular team doesn't always win, and still people are complaining. By changing the themes to be equally enticing, this would make people feel less unhappy about losses solely due to the multiplier.

Keep in my mind I say all this having chosen Pizza. Yes I'm disappointed my team lost but in all fairness you can sort of anticipate which side will win - which thus means you could still chose the side that is most likely going to if you really want more sea snails.
How can you really tell, when designing Splatfest themes, that one side will be tremendously more popular than the other though? I certainly didn't expect Team Ninja to be so much more popular than Team Pirate, for instance, even if the Ninja vs. Pirate meme had died long ago. I didn't know where Burgers vs. Pizza would go until people started chatting about it pre-Splatfest. Both foods have near-universal appeal to people of all ages.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I'm just mad that I got 2017 points during the splatfest on Museum d'Alfonsino AND OFC NO ONE CAN SEE YOUR POINTS also I won 27 times in a row I'd like to think I helped burgers a lot.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
What I am saying is, including this board, there are a variety of other boards that cater to this game, in addition to the gaming community in general, and a reading of gaming news, forums, information boards, etc., would be beneficial in this case. Check it out. You can apologize later, or not.
What does that have to do with you somehow knowing people are smurfing? You are literally saying nothing. I know Smurfing exists, but you saying those people were smurfing doesn't just automatically make it so. You made an assumption off of nothing other than you lost to Low level players, that is called an empty assumption, which just ends up sounding like excuses. There is no possible way you'd know, for a fact, that those people were smurfing.

Apologize? Lol, wtf are you even saying right now? Why would I apologize for you whining and making excuses for losing?

I'm just mad that I got 2017 points during the splatfest on Museum d'Alfonsino AND OFC NO ONE CAN SEE YOUR POINTS also I won 27 times in a row I'd like to think I helped burgers a lot.
Lol, you did, I've seen some insane burger Win Streaks here and there. Saw someone with a nice hefty +71.5. . . Like, who even has that much time on their hands? lol

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Congrats Team Burgers! I knew that pizza was going be popular with pizza parties and Chuck n Chess which popular little kids. Based on miiverse, most people was picking pizza. I guess if people are desperate for those 24 snails that can choose the team which they deem unpopular. I am just going to play side on I like. I wish next splat fest don't have too many disconnects which cause majority of salt I have.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
You know, in hindsight this outcome isn't surprising. The more popular team is susceptible to having more bad players/saturated players, thus losing.
I kid you not, there was a 6 year old daughter who was playing in the splatfest (on team pizza) to give you an idea of why you may have lost.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You know, in hindsight this outcome isn't surprising. The more popular team is susceptible to having more bad players/saturated players, thus losing.
I kid you not, there was a 6 year old daughter who was playing in the splatfest (on team pizza) to give you an idea of why you may have lost.
I mean that's can be true for both sides. What I'm sure most likely happened, if anything, was people saw Pizza was more popular, so because this Forum has beat "The popular team always loses" to the ground, people chose accordingly. It's gotten to the point to where it seems no one is choosing based on their preference, it's choosing whatever the least popular team is because we've pummeled it into everyone's heads. I'm sure that has mindset has carried on outside of Squidboards as well. I personally choose what I prefer, but I can't help but feel that isn't the case with everyone.

Guess those 6 Sea Snails are just that important.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
True but Popularity=Losing in wins...
Marshmallows for example were more popular and won.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Team pizza here. used the custom jet (the three stages were really good for this weapon) and won a grand majority of matches. one of which i even went 14-0. the only time i lost connections were after the match ended or before it even started. saw minimal laggy players and only saw one dc in my team and i don't even live in the US (Carribean). also had several matches where we spawn camped on arowana. had some matches with pizza, but it was very minimal. the win-loss wasn't even that large. 44% and 56% is really close. overall splatfest was fine on my end, great even.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Team pizza here. used the custom jet (the three stages were really good for this weapon) and won a grand majority of matches. one of which i even went 14-0. the only time i lost connections were after the match ended or before it even started. saw minimal laggy players and only saw one dc in my team and i don't even live in the US (Carribean). also had several matches where we spawn camped on arowana. had some matches with pizza, but it was very minimal. the win-loss wasn't even that large. 44% and 56% is really close. overall splatfest was fine on my end, great even.
I HAD THIS PROBLEM... As soon as the game ended and said "GAME" all over the screen IT SAID COMMUNICATION ERROR...Glad I wasn't the only this was happening to

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I HAD THIS PROBLEM... As soon as the game ended and said "GAME" all over the screen IT SAID COMMUNICATION ERROR...Glad I wasn't the only this was happening to
well not really when it said game. like at the results screen after all the point were collected. and even those disconnects were also minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom