• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Enough With The Furries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermonster1

Full Squid
NNID
Jayden
Switch Friend Code
SW-1083-9987-9105
I'm not one to express resentment towards any one particular group. One of my best friends is a total brony and that's perfectly fine, even if I don't understand anything about it. But really.... This is just getting ridiculous now. I can't take 5 steps in Inkopolis Square without seeing some "Fursona" post. Not only that, but it seems like people have started their own little virtual war over this. There are a number of posts that aren't drawings, just text telling people to stop posting furries. In response to that, there are (surprise surprise!) MORE furry drawings just ENCOURAGING people to post more.

Just. Stop. Posting. Them.

Seriously, this is a game where there are literally only two mammals left on the planet. I don't care if Inklings basically treat said mammals like gods of judgement. Take it somewhere else. I really don't know why I'm getting so bothered by this. It's probably because I just don't get why people think that Splatoon 2 is just another place where they can pour out the contents of their Deviantart accounts. I mean, it would make more sense to post this kind of stuff in Super Mario 3D World (or is it 3D Land?) where the man is literally wearing what may as well be a furry costume.

Don't tell me it's not starting to become a problem either, because some of the more recent ones that I've seen are getting a little bit.... Suggestive. Seriously, one or two of these things I can ignore, but I'd rather splat myself if I'm going to have to walk around and see a plaza FULL OF THE THINGS.

*deep breath*
You can send your declarations of war now.
Ok

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
In my honest opinion, I would let them continue with their fandom here so long as the artwork is SFW and doesn't violate any of the Terms of Service established by Nintendo. Besides, if we really want people to tone down on the furry fandom art, we then have to do the same for anyone bringing up everything else that doesn't even have any relation to the game or Splatfest theme. Again, the constant Team Fortress 2 references on WiiU's Splatoon, the wave of Overwatch art where you see Reaper's Death Blossom as he says "DYE, DYE, DYE!," and oh god the memes!

However, politics is where I draw the line. I have seem some artwork posted with political intent and I just usually report those because politics is something I want AWAY from Splatoon. If I wanted to play a game that has politics in it I would just log back into Eve Online or browse through The Imperium News site to see what shenanigans Goonswarm is up to again.
1. The difference here is that the furry fandom literally has nothing to do with the game at all. That's why people have such a huge issue with it. Games like TF2 or Overwatch, you can relate to them because they're shooters and Splatoon is in fact a shooter in that respect, so they fall under the same genre, so in a sense those games are Splatoon's 2nd and 3rd cousin. Where as the furry fandom, there really isn't a game that's been furry exclusive outside of say Ratchet & Clank/Sly Cooper. But even then, those game's are singleplayer and not multiplayer. OW and TF2 are both multiplayer shooter games. Children don't really need to ask their parents "What's a furry?" Only to get some obscure look from their parental unit. A quick google search, only to find something NSFW that was drawn up, and honestly start to question what goes on behind Splatoon's closed doors. It's how lawsuits happen. But then again ESRB has no control over Online gaming, so there's the gray area. However we haven't reached that bridge and I pray to Callie & Marie that never happens.

2. Also Reaper's Ultimate, when someone was doing the whole "Dye dye dye." thing it's in relation to the Inkling's weapon, which is in fact ink/dye. So it pays homage to the series in some way. Splatfest being a hard gray area, since you are representing a team in a sense, then by all means go ahead and draw whatever, but when you're purposely provoking the community by trying to get artist into the hivemind mentality that "We have freedom of expression." and try to draw people into a foreign culture (furry fandom in this case) with no relation to the game what so ever, then it's problematic. The issue I have is with artist purposely provoking others into driving a wedge into the community. Also it's on the furry community to moderate their behavior because calling someone a "Normie" because we dont' see your way of thinking is not okay. It's just trying to rub salt in the wound when players obviously don't like it to begin with, so there's that.

As for politics, I keep away from them. Sure we have Splatfest which uses a vote system, but it's not really political. However what's really driving a rift between the Splatoon community on a more hidden/underground basis is the fandom between Marina and Pearl. People saying that Marina is nothing but fanservice or Pearl is nothing but an ugly spoiled looking brat due to having the crown on her head, when in reality, they're just polygons on the screen. I doubt your emotions will be conveyed to them further by trying to make mock up pictures of them in-game, displaying your distaste for either character. It's a game. Just play what you like, like whoever you like and keep it at that. If someone disagrees with you, then agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
1) undertale
2) metal gear solid
3) hatsune miku

I've seen all of these on miiverse, some just as much as the furries, and it's much harder to draw a connection to these than with tf2 or overwatch.

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
1) undertale
2) metal gear solid
3) hatsune miku

I've seen all of these on miiverse, some just as much as the furries, and it's much harder to draw a connection to these than with tf2 or overwatch.
I haven't seen any Undertale. I saw some Pokemon (Pikachu with a Ketchup Bottle) for Splatfest. I haven't seen any Metal Gear or Hatsune MIku and I was saying it's easier to connect the dots between TF2, OW and Splatoon because they're all shooters of some kind.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
I haven't seen any Undertale. I saw some Pokemon (Pikachu with a Ketchup Bottle) for Splatfest. I haven't seen any Metal Gear or Hatsune MIku and I was saying it's easier to connect the dots between TF2, OW and Splatoon because they're all shooters of some kind.
1. I have seen plenty of Undertale at least in Splatoon 1. Give it some time before it moves over to Splatoon 2. If a bunch of furries can get our attention, so can Undertale.

2. "DOKTOR, TURN OFF MY INK INHIBITORS!" - Inkling Girl, Drawn as Raiden while the doktor has that "WHAT?" look in his face. It's based on a scene where Raiden is about to face off against Monsoon. Funny enough, Monsoon is the man with the memes. This drawing was spotted in Splatoon 1 among others. Give it some time also before you start seeing it in Splatoon 2.

3. Hatsune Miku. I have seen them in Splatoon 1 plenty of times. I even submitted one on Splatoon 2. Give it some time as well. Although you'll probably see Undertale and Metal Gear references long before Miku.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Apparently Scott Falco, known for his Overwatch-related YouTube channel where you see videos like "Doomfist with a side of Salt" in animated form, has been playing Splatoon 2 recently and I have spotted at least 2 different drawing from him.

One during the "Splatfest World Premier" where he posted an artwork with the Chibi-Reaper saying "Die Ice Cream" but then Nintendo thought that drawing was inappropriate and thus it got promptly removed. I forgot what the second drawing was. I haven't seen him log in since then. He's probably doing another "[INSERT HERO HERE] with a Side of Salt" video.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
*Ahem* so this started with "Enough With The Furries" to people talking about cringy fandom making their way into Splatoon and Splatoon 2? Huh. Gonna have to read all these comments.
Yeah. I'm gonna quote Craymond here.
"I REGRET EVERYTHING!!"

GreatGateway

Full Squid
I'm a furry myself, and I have two things to say

1) I'm sorry for everyone's behaviour. I promise we're actually very nice guys in the majority.

2) Thank goodness some of the worse aspects of the community haven't been explored... ;D

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
I'm a furry myself, and I have two things to say

1) I'm sorry for everyone's behaviour. I promise we're actually very nice guys in the majority.

2) Thank goodness some of the worse aspects of the community haven't been explored... ;D
I'm sure there are some pretty good guys in the Furry community. It's just that the bad out weighs the good and it's pretty sad honestly.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I'm sure there are some pretty good guys in the Furry community. It's just that the bad out weighs the good and it's pretty sad honestly.
That's true with a lot of fandoms *COUGH* FNAF *COUGH*
But that's what I love about Splatoon. The good people in the Splatoon community outweigh the bad.
I feel comfortable here. I like you guys a lot.

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
That's true with a lot of fandoms *COUGH* FNAF *COUGH*
But that's what I love about Splatoon. The good people in the Splatoon community outweigh the bad.
I feel comfortable here. I like you guys a lot.
Yea I really feel kinda safe here. I remember some other communities but this community is probably the only one that has a lot of nice people.

Reactions: EVI

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
Yeah I'm very interested in Splatoon's community. So far people have been chill. Always looking for more friends. This is a bit off-topic but why does Grizz. Co close early all the time? Makes ti hard to farm.

On topic though, I've been seeing less furry art. I get a few here and there, but a lot of people have been making signs reminding people that kids play this game as well. I also want to get back into RPing, but I wanna do a Splatoon RP. I just need to know more about the in-game lore.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Yeah I'm very interested in Splatoon's community. So far people have been chill. Always looking for more friends. This is a bit off-topic but why does Grizz. Co close early all the time? Makes ti hard to farm.

On topic though, I've been seeing less furry art. I get a few here and there, but a lot of people have been making signs reminding people that kids play this game as well. I also want to get back into RPing, but I wanna do a Splatoon RP. I just need to know more about the in-game lore.
I'm starting a new RP. You can see if it interests you.

TheCabbitSeraph

Inkling
NNID
lilmoriarty
Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. All this furry spam in Inkopolis Square has made me despise furries, and I've got a friend who is one! But like it's already been said, there's not much we can do other than report the posts that do cross the line and hope this furry fad dies out sooner rather than later.
yeah thats fair, despise an entire group of people based on the actions of some. if i was your friend id feel like that is unfair... but then again ive been in that position. "oh i dont hate you, just everyone else in your fandom, and your fandom itself. dont take it personally." on the other hand spam is annoying, furry or not.. and the "normies" thing is disrespectful, but at least its not as bad as being called "mundane.". or "furfag."

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
yeah thats fair, despise an entire group of people based on the actions of some. if i was your friend id feel like that is unfair... but then again ive been in that position. "oh i dont hate you, just everyone else in your fandom, and your fandom itself. dont take it personally." on the other hand spam is annoying, furry or not.. and the "normies" thing is disrespectful, but at least its not as bad as being called "mundane.". or "furfag."
I assumed that this was long dead. Guuuuuessss not.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I'm not one to express resentment towards any one particular group. One of my best friends is a total brony and that's perfectly fine, even if I don't understand anything about it. But really.... This is just getting ridiculous now. I can't take 5 steps in Inkopolis Square without seeing some "Fursona" post. Not only that, but it seems like people have started their own little virtual war over this. There are a number of posts that aren't drawings, just text telling people to stop posting furries. In response to that, there are (surprise surprise!) MORE furry drawings just ENCOURAGING people to post more.

Just. Stop. Posting. Them.

Seriously, this is a game where there are literally only two mammals left on the planet. I don't care if Inklings basically treat said mammals like gods of judgement. Take it somewhere else. I really don't know why I'm getting so bothered by this. It's probably because I just don't get why people think that Splatoon 2 is just another place where they can pour out the contents of their Deviantart accounts. I mean, it would make more sense to post this kind of stuff in Super Mario 3D World (or is it 3D Land?) where the man is literally wearing what may as well be a furry costume.

Don't tell me it's not starting to become a problem either, because some of the more recent ones that I've seen are getting a little bit.... Suggestive. Seriously, one or two of these things I can ignore, but I'd rather splat myself if I'm going to have to walk around and see a plaza FULL OF THE THINGS.

*deep breath*
You can send your declarations of war now.
I'm afraid to say this, but making post like this is the reason "furrys" are making a ridiculous amount of furry related posting in the first place.
Example: If you tell a football fan who happens to be a girl that shes not allowed to enjoy or play the sport because she a girl, shes probably not going to just stop liking football. In fact she will probably express her love for football even more as a way to spite all the people who told her she wasn't allowed to like it.

This is how most fandoms react to being told to "just stop." people are allowed to love something, and as long as they are not posting hateful, violent, or lewd content, then it really should not be an issue. The less you publicly complain about this "issue" the less they will feel the need to assert there fandom.

I do agree though, that furrys calling other people who are not furrys "norrmys" is extremely rude, but telling a furry to stop posting stuff they like just because you don't like it is also rude.

I also want to say something to any fandom in general, whether you are a furry, or an Undertale fan (i really like Undertale btw) it doesn't matter what your fandom is please please do not make fandom related post just to spite "normal" people! It not only ruins the experience for people who don't like the fandom, but it ruins the experience for people who do like the fandom! and trust me, I'm speaking from experience of the Undertale fandom. I love it to death, but there have been situations where I could not enjoy it because somebody took something to much to heart, and got really butt hurt.

I really hope this all clears up. Peace out guys~

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I'm afraid to say this, but making post like this is the reason "furrys" are making a ridiculous amount of furry related posting in the first place.
Example: If you tell a football fan who happens to be a girl that shes not allowed to enjoy or play the sport because she a girl, shes probably not going to just stop liking football. In fact she will probably express her love for football even more as a way to spite all the people who told her she wasn't allowed to like it.

This is how most fandoms react to being told to "just stop." people are allowed to love something, and as long as they are not posting hateful, violent, or lewd content, then it really should not be an issue. The less you publicly complain about this "issue" the less they will feel the need to assert there fandom.

I do agree though, that furrys calling other people who are not furrys "norrmys" is extremely rude, but telling a furry to stop posting stuff they like just because you don't like it is also rude.

I also want to say something to any fandom in general, whether you are a furry, or an Undertale fan (i really like Undertale btw) it doesn't matter what your fandom is please please do not make fandom related post just to spite "normal" people! It not only ruins the experience for people who don't like the fandom, but it ruins the experience for people who do like the fandom! and trust me, I'm speaking from experience of the Undertale fandom. I love it to death, but there have been situations where I could not enjoy it because somebody took something to much to heart, and got really butt hurt.

I really hope this all clears up. Peace out guys~
You know what else does? Replying to a thread that had been lying dormant long enough to be considered dead. Especially after this has all blown over. Can I get a mod to lock this?

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
You know what else does? Replying to a thread that had been lying dormant long enough to be considered dead. Especially after this has all blown over. Can I get a mod to lock this?
Dead? hmm... It appeared at the top of the off topic section for me like it was new, so that's why I commented on it. sorry for reviving unwanted comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom