• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Enough With The Furries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
So, just a question, in the beginning of this thread people were talking about how there were a ton of Undertale drawings and stuff in the first game. I'm not seeing much of a problem with that, but not only that, I never actually saw any Undertale posts for the first game, in-game and on Miiverse. I've been playing the first and second games since their respective launches, and I haven't seen an Undertale post until today (it was the one with Sans holding ketchup, pretty sure most of you have seen it.) Where were these Undertale posts? What's the problem with them?
I know the Undertale fandom is terrible and all, but what's so bad with the occasional drawing of a skeleton or dog?

As for the Furry stuff in Splatoon 2, I hate it. There is way too much of it. Aside from maybe some random drawing of a character from another game or series like Sans or Spongebob, ALL I SEE ARE FURRIES.
There is nothing wrong with an occasional dog or skeleton, but there is something wrong with a plaza full of one thing not even related to the game, especially humanoid mammal abominations. Some of these people also seem to have space for rent between their ears, since one person posted about "Dragon Furries". Dragons don't even have fur or hair of any kind, they have scales. Do your homework for goodness sake.

jkid391

Senior Squid
There is nothing wrong with an occasional dog or skeleton, but there is something wrong with a plaza full of one thing not even related to the game, especially humanoid mammal abominations. Some of these people also seem to have space for rent between their ears, since one person posted about "Dragon Furries". Dragons don't even have fur or hair of any kind, they have scales. Do your homework for goodness sake.
I saw a post saying Inkling were Furries.
I don't see a single hair of fur on the Inklings.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I saw a post saying Inkling were Furries.
I don't see a single hair of fur on the Inklings.
"Furry" refers to humanoid characters with animal characteristics or real people with an overt interest in such.

Some people consider themselves furries for liking characters with minor animal characteristics, some don't. Calling an Inkling a furry isn't exactly wrong either.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
As long as no rules were broken, as established by Nintendo, people can post whatever artwork they want. I have seen a ton of Spongebob and Team Fortress references since Splatoon on the WiiU both during Splatfest and outside of Splatfest. With the exception of Spongebob and Patrick, all other artworks posted had no relation to the Splatfest theme in question and I didn't see anyone complain about it on the Inkopolis Plaza back then.

EVI

Inkling
NNID
WolfQueen227
I'm not one to express resentment towards any one particular group. One of my best friends is a total brony and that's perfectly fine, even if I don't understand anything about it. But really.... This is just getting ridiculous now. I can't take 5 steps in Inkopolis Square without seeing some "Fursona" post. Not only that, but it seems like people have started their own little virtual war over this. There are a number of posts that aren't drawings, just text telling people to stop posting furries. In response to that, there are (surprise surprise!) MORE furry drawings just ENCOURAGING people to post more.

Just. Stop. Posting. Them.

Seriously, this is a game where there are literally only two mammals left on the planet. I don't care if Inklings basically treat said mammals like gods of judgement. Take it somewhere else. I really don't know why I'm getting so bothered by this. It's probably because I just don't get why people think that Splatoon 2 is just another place where they can pour out the contents of their Deviantart accounts. I mean, it would make more sense to post this kind of stuff in Super Mario 3D World (or is it 3D Land?) where the man is literally wearing what may as well be a furry costume.

Don't tell me it's not starting to become a problem either, because some of the more recent ones that I've seen are getting a little bit.... Suggestive. Seriously, one or two of these things I can ignore, but I'd rather splat myself if I'm going to have to walk around and see a plaza FULL OF THE THINGS.

*deep breath*
You can send your declarations of war now.
The only reason people started drawing more furries in the Plaza is because one guy saw a single furry post and began posting hate. Even though I'm sure people reported it as hateful content, others took to drawing more furry art as a response. I agree, it's gone a bit too far, but they honestly have a right to draw whatever they want. There is no rule against it, and no rule against the Plaza being full of one single subject. If it bothers you that much, there IS an option to turn it off that you can use until the furry rush has passed. Also, Inklings are technically furries, as a furry by definition is a humanoid character with animal features or someone attracted to such a character, which Inklings certainly are.

I agree, suggestive content SHOULD NOT be drawn, and that's the side of the furry fandom that's seen most of the time and gives the whole grouping a horrible name. But there ARE people who just enjoy having a humanoid animal persona, and have normal fun with it all without the NSFW content, so it's kinda bad to judge them all upon how some may act. If you see the suggestive content, you can report it to Nintendo for review. Which honestly does a lot more good than ranting upon it on here, where nothing will get done.

And if anyone's encouraging people to post more furry art, it's the people telling them to stop. The more they see others being upset over it or hating upon it, the more they will create. That's how the whole thing started, after all. If everyone just stopped telling them to stop, then they'd have no more reason to continue, no more motive, no more inspiration, and they'd eventually get bored of it and ACTUALLY STOP.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
The only reason people started drawing more furries in the Plaza is because one guy saw a single furry post and began posting hate. Even though I'm sure people reported it as hateful content, others took to drawing more furry art as a response. I agree, it's gone a bit too far, but they honestly have a right to draw whatever they want. There is no rule against it, and no rule against the Plaza being full of one single subject. If it bothers you that much, there IS an option to turn it off that you can use until the furry rush has passed. Also, Inklings are technically furries, as a furry by definition is a humanoid character with animal features or someone attracted to such a character, which Inklings certainly are.

I agree, suggestive content SHOULD NOT be drawn, and that's the side of the furry fandom that's seen most of the time and gives the whole grouping a horrible name. But there ARE people who just enjoy having a humanoid animal persona, and have normal fun with it all without the NSFW content, so it's kinda bad to judge them all upon how some may act. If you see the suggestive content, you can report it to Nintendo for review. Which honestly does a lot more good than ranting upon it on here, where nothing will get done.

And if anyone's encouraging people to post more furry art, it's the people telling them to stop. The more they see others being upset over it or hating upon it, the more they will create. That's how the whole thing started, after all. If everyone just stopped telling them to stop, then they'd have no more reason to continue, no more motive, no more inspiration, and they'd eventually get bored of it and ACTUALLY STOP.
I must be late to the party then. When I first started seeing furry artwork posted all over Inkopolis Square I thought Splatoon 2 just suddenly gained a new player base that just happened to be into furries. Especially with Judd and Mini Judd in the picture.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander

.... if that's true, then it literally just proves they're doing it solely because they WANT to irritate others.

Anyone who does that needs a boot to the head.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
.... if that's true, then it literally just proves they're doing it solely because they WANT to irritate others.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't want to do the opposite of what they were told if they were told rudely and without good reason, which is what happened in this case.

jkid391

Senior Squid
"Furry" refers to humanoid characters with animal characteristics or real people with an overt interest in such.

Some people consider themselves furries for liking characters with minor animal characteristics, some don't. Calling an Inkling a furry isn't exactly wrong either.
I know, I was just referencing the physical appearance of the inklings not matching the name "Furry." Cause no fur. I understand what you mean though.

Reactions: EVI

EVI

Inkling
NNID
WolfQueen227
I must be late to the party then. When I first started seeing furry artwork posted all over Inkopolis Square I thought Splatoon 2 just suddenly gained a new player base that just happened to be into furries. Especially with Judd and Mini Judd in the picture.
Nope, it was mostly in response to hate that had been directed at them. Also, there can still be a massive furry player base without them posting art about it. As I said before, some people just have innocent fun with a fursona, without NSFW art or constantly talking or posting about it.

EVI

Inkling
NNID
WolfQueen227

I agree, and of course it's gone too far, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that. Like posts asking if others accept dragon furries, or people seeing fellow furries posting and wanting to interact and show that they also enjoy that, as to mayhaps be friends or just find a new part of the community to become a part of. I won't rule out other possibilities, but the fact is that it DID start as a retaliation to the anti-furry posts. Now, it's more than likely out of pure enjoyment of seeing and interacting with others who are also furries.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
I agree, and of course it's gone too far, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that. Like posts asking if others accept dragon furries, or people seeing fellow furries posting and wanting to interact and show that they also enjoy that, as to mayhaps be friends or just find a new part of the community to become a part of. I won't rule out other possibilities, but the fact is that it DID start as a retaliation to the anti-furry posts. Now, it's more than likely out of pure enjoyment of seeing and interacting with others who are also furries.
It has probably evolved past petty squabbles at this point. I don't see anyone posting messages on the drawings asking people to stop for a while now. It's now just more furries responding with drawings like "sorry I'm late" or something like that.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Nope, it was mostly in response to hate that had been directed at them. Also, there can still be a massive furry player base without them posting art about it. As I said before, some people just have innocent fun with a fursona, without NSFW art or constantly talking or posting about it.
Meanwhile I don't see anyone complaining about the constant Spongebob, Smash Bros., and Team Fortress drawings that come up in the Splatoon games.

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
Okay, so here is my take on the furries. Furries generally get a bad rep because they're seen as grown men-children hiding behind a "Fursona" typically a furry would be seen as a pervert. Someone, and I'm going to say this lightly, who wants to do nothing but "Yiff." (Don't think too hard on it.) The spread of furry culture has since then been seen as nothing short of the bubonic plague of the internet. Wherever they show up, people associate them with people who are usually unhygenic, disgusting, or perverted. As for me, I have one friend who is a furry, she keeps to herself. If she show's me art, that's fine. As long as its SFW I don't care. But for Splatoon's case, I just don't see where it has a place in our game. I understand there are other "memes" but the furry community has so many websites dedicated to their art, I just don't see the need to bring it to Splatoon 2. Sure if you wanna share it, that's fine. Post something, but don't swamp the entire lobby in it, trying to demand it as gospel. Because then people are going to give you a solid kneejerk response, which is pretty much on the basis of "GTFO." On a more personal level, I myself don't like my lobby being filled with it. If I could turn pictures off, that would solve the issue for me.

My biggest issue with it was when people were posting pictures like "Splatfest, more like FURRFest." Then it's an issue, and I also understand it more or less falls on the artist who drew the picture, rather than the community behind it, so I am not saying all furries are bad, but some people should have a limit on what they do and unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. Since these artist seem to forget the demographic that Splatoon 2 is made for, it's not really made for adults, it's targeting a much younger audience. That's my problem with it right now. We don't need to expose younger people to this kind of thing, parents probably buy this game for their teen's over something like Call of Duty/Battlefield, since it's more wholesome and fun. So let's keep it that way please.

Last edited:

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Powerlevel time: I've dealt with the furry fandom for ages and was on staff at a convention for 10 years. By and large they're everyday people like the rest of us, it's just the wacko fringe minority the media loves to talk about.

I'm guessing most of the players posting the art in-game are just enthusiastic young folks, and that's not so bad, really. But yeah, it'd be nice if it stayed tasteful (got three guesses as to why so many of them are on team mayo and two don't count =p). It'll blow over by next week, most likely.

EVI

Inkling
NNID
WolfQueen227
If I could turn pictures off, that would solve the issue for me.
There IS an option somewhere in all the menus to turn off the drawing posts. I don't remember quite where it is, but I do remember seeing it and considering turning it off.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Okay, so here is my take on the furries. Furries generally get a badrep because they're seen as grown men-children hiding behind a "Fursona" typically a furry would be seen as a pervert. Someone, and I'm going to say this lightly, who wants to do nothing but "Yiff." (Don't think too hard on it.) The spread of furry culture has since then been seen as nothing short of the bubonic plague of the internet. Wherever they show up, people associate them with people who are usually unhygenic, disgusting, or perverted. As for me, I have one friend who is a furry, she keeps to herself. If she show's me art, that's fine. As long as its SFW I don't care. But for Splatoon's case, I just don't see where it has a place in our game. I understand there are other "memes" but the furry community has so many websites dedicated to their art, I just don't see the need to bring it to Splatoon 2. Sure if you wanna share it, that's fine. Post something, but don't swamp the entire lobby in it, trying to demand it as gospel. Because then people are going to give you a solid kneejerk response, which is pretty much on the basis of "GTFO." On a more personal level, I myself don't like my lobby being filled with it. If I could turn pictures off, that would solve the issue for me.

My biggest issue with it was when people were posting pictures like "Splatfest, more like FURRFest." Then it's an issue, and I also understand it more or less falls on the artist who drew the picture, rather than the community behind it, so I am not saying all furries are bad, but some people should have a limit on what they do and unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. Since these artist seem to forget the demographic that Splatoon 2 is made for, it's not really made for adults, it's targeting a much younger audience. That's my problem with it right now. We don't need to expose younger people to this kind of thing, parents probably buy this game for their teen's over something like Call of Duty/Battlefield, since it's more wholesome and fun. So let's keep it that way please.
In my honest opinion, I would let them continue with their fandom here so long as the artwork is SFW and doesn't violate any of the Terms of Service established by Nintendo. Besides, if we really want people to tone down on the furry fandom art, we then have to do the same for anyone bringing up everything else that doesn't even have any relation to the game or Splatfest theme. Again, the constant Team Fortress 2 references on WiiU's Splatoon, the wave of Overwatch art where you see Reaper's Death Blossom as he says "DYE, DYE, DYE!," and oh god the memes!

However, politics is where I draw the line. I have seem some artwork posted with political intent and I just usually report those because politics is something I want AWAY from Splatoon. If I wanted to play a game that has politics in it I would just log back into Eve Online or browse through The Imperium News site to see what shenanigans Goonswarm is up to again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom