Votes: 32 32.0%

• Total voters

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
You don't like it that there is not much room to debate Spongebob vs Patrick. That's cute. Try debating whether pineapple belongs on a pizza or not. We Europeans are hardened to this nightmare like a Russian to bears. You guys on the other hand are going to have to buckle up though.
So how does one discuss North Pole vs South Pole?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
You don't like it that there is not much room to debate Spongebob vs Patrick. That's cute. Try debating whether pineapple belongs on a pizza or not. We Europeans are hardened to this nightmare like a Russian to bears. You guys on the other hand are going to have to buckle up though.
Yet, sadly, even pineapple on pizza or not generated more discussion than this lame excuse for a fest. :p I mean it's seriously a debate about the star...or the other star....of a kids cartoon. They could have at least done Sponge Bob vs. Ren or something :P

Why can't we get a 7-Eleven theme of Cherry versus Coke slurpee? Or barely edible hot dogs of questionable animal origin versus barely edible pizza with a lethal dose of plasticizer and Pine Sol? :)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Oh, I think our EU/OC Splatfests are cute, like petty squabbles or the Inklings struggling for excuses to have a party. And I did feel very strongly about the pineapple theme... unnecessary fruit at the best of times, but putting it on a savoury snack is wrong almost to the point of satire.
Team Coffee! Team Hawke from the Advance Wars series! Seriously, I drink black coffee thanks to that character.
Ahhh... I wish I could agree with you, as he's one of the best characters from anywhere, ever, but I'm non-negotiably totally averse to coffee of any sort. I'm a tea drinker, through and through, not that I'm terribly high-class; I just drink generic black tea with milk and sugar, but loads of it.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Yet, sadly, even pineapple on pizza or not generated more discussion than this lame excuse for a fest. :p I mean it's seriously a debate about the star...or the other star....of a kids cartoon. They could have at least done Sponge Bob vs. Ren or something :p
Too bad most kids today don't care much about the classics. Imagine Bugs vs Daffy, Wile E. Coyote vs Road Runner, Foghorn Leghorn vs Chicken Hawk or Barnyard Dawg, Sylvester vs Tweety or Tom vs Jerry. The last one sparks a lot of debates whether Jerry is horrible due to being a thief and Tom is only protecting the food from being stolen and Jerry sometimes attacks him unprovoked. or Jerry is justified for his survival.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I guess Europe and the US don't have too many cartoons in common. Back in my day, shows like Angry Bievers, Rocko's Modern Life, Angela Anaconda and Doug Funny were classics here, although they are supposedly hardly notable in 'Murica. While very famous cartoons like Invader Zim and Ren & Stimpy were very known in 'Murica but known by only a few here. Spongebob is the one must-know show worldwide though, so I kind of get how they went with the safer bet and limited it to Spongebob.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I guess Europe and the US don't have too many cartoons in common. Back in my day, shows like Angry Bievers, Rocko's Modern Life, Angela Anaconda and Doug Funny were classics here, although they are supposedly hardly notable in 'Murica. While very famous cartoons like Invader Zim and Ren & Stimpy were very known in 'Murica but known by only a few here. Spongebob is the one must-know show worldwide though, so I kind of get how they went with the safer bet and limited it to Spongebob.
I'm pretty sure those Nicktoons were loved in the U.S. until Rugrats, the precursor to the overplayed Nicktoon before Spongebob, took over and limited their air time.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Oh I wish it was the weekend so I could make some pizzas from scratch! Topped with some pineapple even.

You might be a coffee snob @Award, but I'm tempted to give the beans a try. Especially with a few recipes. Hmm... pizza dough with freshly grounded coffee?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I'm pretty sure those Nicktoons were loved in the U.S. until Rugrats, the precursor to the overplayed Nicktoon before Spongebob, took over and limited their air time.
Oh, we were hit by that wave too. Just by the show "Recess", which outshined every other cartoon at some point here. Rurgrats wasn't too big here on the other hand. But it's a different generation of course. Nowadays the kids have no idea what any of those cartoons are.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Ahhh... I wish I could agree with you, as he's one of the best characters from anywhere, ever, but I'm non-negotiably totally averse to coffee of any sort. I'm a tea drinker, through and through, not that I'm terribly high-class; I just drink generic black tea with milk and sugar, but loads of it.
Jess is my absolute fave of the AW series. I picked Team Cars for my husband who is a car enthusiast but I wonder if Jess would have nudged me on her own to pick Team Cars if my husband wasn't a car buff. I nearly went for Team Planes at the beginning. Eagle of course represents Team Planes. I'm okay with Eagle but I absolutely adore Jess.

Oh, we were hit by that wave too. Just by the show "Recess", which outshined every other cartoon at some point here. Rurgrats wasn't too big here on the other hand. But it's a different generation of course. Nowadays the kids have no idea what any of those cartoons are.
If Rugrats lasted today like Spongebob with its popularity we would have Tommy vs Chuckie, the Main Chaarcter vs the second most important character like Spongebob vs Patrick. Even then there are tons of differences between Tommy and Chuckie to have some sort of discussion. Are you like Tommy, brave and daring, or like Chuckie, scared of many things and very careful? Spongebob and Patrick is like Phil and Lil, is there much of a difference between them?

Reactions: Ulk

Award

I've never even heard of those! Then again, other than having heard of them I know nothing of the Nickelodeon cartoons etiher. Nickelodeon was a little after my time, and/or wasn't accessible to me. I remember the oddball network TV cartoons that seemingly nobody today remembers at all and they made no significant cultural impact of any kind, I'm always amazed when someone on the forums mentions one of them. Santo Bugito for example. of course the Mario (3) and Sonic cartoons were LIFE back in MY day :P

As were teh classics Shiny mentioned. The beauty of the Warner Bros. cartoons like Wiley Coyote, and Buggs and the Tom & Gerry type shows was that they were essentially Silent Films mimicking the slapstick of Charlie Chaplain and early cinema, well after their time. it was great, and you just can't reproduce it. Buggs & Foghorn and all weren't silent (by any stretch) but portions of it were. And it's allways good to appreciate Mel Blanc - voice of EVERY SINGLE WB character. :)

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
If Rugrats lasted today like Spongebob with its popularity we would have Tommy vs Chuckie, the Main Chaarcter vs the second most important character like Spongebob vs Patrick. Even then there are tons of differences between Tommy and Chuckie to have some sort of discussion. Are you like Tommy, brave and daring, or like Chuckie, scared of many things and very careful? Spongebob and Patrick is like Phil and Lil, is there much of a difference between them?
I really wonder if it would have made a breakthrough outside the US too. I personally didn't watch it back then, but although it wasn't a big thing here, it did go far enough to have the continuation aired here. I can only speak for Germany though. Europe is very diverse, no idea how it was with other countries here.
I've never even heard of those! Then again, other than having heard of them I know nothing of the Nickelodeon cartoons etiher. Nickelodeon was a little after my time, and/or wasn't accessible to me. I remember the oddball network TV cartoons that seemingly nobody today remembers at all and they made no significant cultural impact of any kind, I'm always amazed when someone on the forums mentions one of them. Santo Bugito for example. of course the Mario (3) and Sonic cartoons were LIFE back in MY day :p

As were teh classics Shiny mentioned. The beauty of the Warner Bros. cartoons like Wiley Coyote, and Buggs and the Tom & Gerry type shows was that they were essentially Silent Films mimicking the slapstick of Charlie Chaplain and early cinema, well after their time. it was great, and you just can't reproduce it. Buggs & Foghorn and all weren't silent (by any stretch) but portions of it were. And it's allways good to appreciate Mel Blanc - voice of EVERY SINGLE WB character. :)
I never had any time with the old Nickelodeon either. It shut down here in Germany in 1998 when I was 4 years old and didn't return until 7 years later. Give me some more examples of those cartoons though, I may know some of them. Many forgotten cartoons that were never too much of a big thing in 'Murica were quite popular in Germany. They all stem from the same era of cartoons too.

Now that I think about it though, WB Splatfest themes would be awesome. I mean I'm aware teens today never got to watch them, but who the hell doesn't know Buggs Bunny? Or Tweety? And if it counts T&J. They were always popular as hell and I can't imagine anyone in either Europe or the US not knowing these iconic faces.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They could have at least done Sponge Bob vs. Ren or something :p
My God, that's a much better idea! New School vs. Old School, Obnoxiously Cheery vs. Obnoxiously Nasty, Mainstream vs. Cult Classic─heck, I'd even settle for Which Series Had the Worse Drop in Quality? At least with that I'd have an actual horse in this race.

I've decided: whichever of the two characters better embodies The Ren & Stimpy Show's essence, that's the team I'm voting for. So... which one would that be?

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
SpongeBob of course! I love him a lot more that Patrick!:)

Rabite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cboyd1987
I guess Europe and the US don't have too many cartoons in common. Back in my day, shows like Angry Bievers, Rocko's Modern Life, Angela Anaconda and Doug Funny were classics here
Rocko's Modern Life. Legendary show. A lot of jokes from early Spongebob seasons were lifted directly out of it. It makes sense, because it was in many ways a precursor to Spongebob. People can't really call themselves a "fan" of yellow or pink team without at least having seen some of it!

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Rocko's Modern Life. Legendary show. A lot of jokes from early Spongebob seasons were lifted directly out of it. It makes sense, because it was in many ways a precursor to Spongebob. People can't really call themselves a "fan" of yellow or pink team without at least having seen some of it!
****. I never realized that. The early Spongebob episodes have a lot of the charm Rocko's Modern Life had now that I think about it. Even the individual characters. How did I never notice that?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Thought of using just e-liters and splat chargers while naming myself "Lemons" or "EVILemons" because, well, chargers. But finally decided that I plan to rollout with Bubbler special weapons. Still trying to choose between "Bubblebutt" and "DirtyBublr" though.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I hope the maps won't be terrible so I can play with the sloshers. Found a name that suits: "SaltySlosh" :D

Based on this link, the maps are going to be Urchin, Piranha and Bluefin, as those are the maps pictured. Urchin is a great map, Piranha isn't bad in Turf (isn't great either), and Bluefin has always been really questionable when it comes to Turf. Still, it's much better than the last Splatfest (we had Saltspray, Moray and Mahi), so I should see this one through to the end, as I gave up by Champion (did that in Cats vs Dogs EU too - Saltspray, Moray and Walleye that time). I'm most likely going to bring the Wasabi, since it's good at splatting and has Inkstrike. I struggled to find a decent Turf weapon last time that fared well in combat (was going for Bomb Rush and Inkstrike weapons). The Splatfest Power update made it so you need a decent weapon combat-wise when you start high up due to being ranked at A, S and S+ (will be worse this time, as my initial Splatfest Power will be higher since S+ now has its own start point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom