• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Damn, G. **** just got personal now.

Well. Now I know what I'm fighting for. No regrets now.
*draws stubble on face and stuffs cheeks with gravel*
[stubbly male protagonist with gravel voice] Remember. When they ask what you're fighting for. Show them a picture of an infant in a tuxedo onesie. That's what you're fighting for. *pumps Tentatek*[/stubbly male protagonist with gravel voice]

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
So which side are you supposed to pick if you don't like dressing up for anything?

On one hand, fancy parties can be ultra elitist and snobby and I'm really not a big fan of elitism. On the other hand, I've definitely been to more fancy parties than costume ones and actually have stuff to wear to one (sort of).

On one hand, costume parties are lighthearted and don't require a big budget or knowing etiquette rules and stuff like that. On the other hand, dressing up as something or someone is embarrassing, costume parties for adults often involve excessive amounts of alcohol, and they can be just as much about social cliques as fancy parties are. Also, there's always the possibility that someone could come to one dressed as Shrek, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

It turns out that going through the pros and cons hasn't really helped me decide...

Last edited:

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
Wait this is global? Crap..there goes my connection....I'm already constantly in matches of nothing but Japanese players..Now I have to endure the connection loss that happen becasue of connecting to a server that's really far away on this too? Great. Best idea ever Nintendo..
Everyone on youtube playing Splatoon not in Japan: "Japan always have stronger servers so we get thrown there all the time, so it lags and cuts connection all the time"
Nintendo, probably: "Cool story bro....Alright, so having the one event, where the connections will be better becasue we aren't constantly forcing people to connect to servers in Japan , as a global event is a great idea!. Let's do that!'

Anyway on a better note, I made a video about it already:
I also made a Miiverse post for this Splatfest:

WVW69jLvZOIjvmIGQ6.png

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
inb4 Costume wins both categories.

Seriously tho, i'm pretty confident that Costume will be more popular, because kids like Halloween and Japan likes cosplay. As for wins, I have no idea. We could go with the norm and say that Fancy will win because it would have less kids playing than Costume, or we could say that Costume will win because it would have more Japanese players, and go with the stereotype that they are generally more skilled.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Never been much of a fan of costume parties since I was a kid.

Going fancypants for this one!

Wait this is global? Crap..there goes my connection....I'm already constantly in matches of nothing but Japanese players..Now I have to endure the connection loss that happen becasue of connecting to a server that's really far away on this too? Great. Best idea ever Nintendo..
Dude, it's peer-to-peer, no server middle man involved. You're teamed with whoever's available at the time.

Personally, I'm happy about it. Splatfests have brought the most silly cases of lag I've experienced in the game. So much for regional play...

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My my, would ya look at that? Team Fancy's apparently won the popular vote around here. Depending on how you look at it, this either spells certain doom for us fancy squids, or else bodes well for us. Hopefully it's the latter.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
My my, would ya look at that? Team Fancy's apparently won the popular vote around here. Depending on how you look at it, this either spells certain doom for us fancy squids, or else bodes well for us. Hopefully it's the latter.
From what I've seen on Miiverse, Costume is by far more popular.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Then again, this is only one region. Might be different demographics in the other two.

I am guessing Costume will be more popular, and with the generally more experienced Squidboards having more people on Fancy, it seems Fancy may be the favorite. However, with the new splatfest system, it matters less how many good players vs bad players and more how many players have skills deviating from their Splatfest Power, so it could go either way.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
Flipped a coin, since i wasn't sure whether i should vote from the heart this time. Costume party it is.

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
Dude, it's peer-to-peer, no server middle man involved. You're teamed with whoever's available at the time.

Personally, I'm happy about it. Splatfests have brought the most silly cases of lag I've experienced in the game. So much for regional play...
Yes....And what happens when Japanese servers are what's available because there are FAR more people there playing? Oh right..That means you get thrown onto a Japan server..
And from what I've read, we are both right..I don't know what you mean by "server middle man" but if there are a crap ton of Japan servers open, because the majority of players seem to be there, or thereabouts, then you are more than likely going to be thrown onto those servers, thus only proving my point.
When I'm constantly on servers with nothing but Japanese people, that tells me a whole lot. The fact is, if you are playing on a game that matches you up globally, there is a very very high chance of being put on a server that is near impossible to connect to. And it's the Nintendo's fault. They made the system and specifically put the worst hardware in..I get better connection with the 10 year old family computer on literally everything than I do with the WiiU

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
I'm going to say even though I chose Fancy Party, that Costume Party will certainly win the popularity. My one reason for not picking Costume Party is the main reason I see it winning. Cosplayers. TONS of Splatoon players are also cosplayers. I can guarantee the vast majority of people playing will be cosplayers that choose Costume Party for that very reason lol

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Yes....And what happens when Japanese servers are what's available because there are FAR more people there playing? Oh right..That means you get thrown onto a Japan server..
And from what I've read, we are both right..I don't know what you mean by "server middle man" but if there are a crap ton of Japan servers open, because the majority of players seem to be there, or thereabouts, then you are more than likely going to be thrown onto those servers, thus only proving my point.
When I'm constantly on servers with nothing but Japanese people, that tells me a whole lot. The fact is, if you are playing on a game that matches you up globally, there is a very very high chance of being put on a server that is near impossible to connect to. And it's the Nintendo's fault. They made the system and specifically put the worst hardware in..I get better connection with the 10 year old family computer on literally everything than I do with the WiiU
I think I see the problem: you're talking about lobbies, not servers.

Regional matchmaking wouldn't be a magical solution. You said it yourself, you're thrown in lobbies with Japanese players 'cause there aren't enough American players to fill them within a reasonable time span.

Besides, it ain't gonna fix the problem, 'cause you still would have the issue of South America being part of the American region. We folks over here ain't much closer. Plus there are the surplus of dumb internet provider monopolies in the USA that screw over many users (both of those being why I've ended up having stupid ammounts of silly lag issues during the regional Splatfests, way more than anything I see usually).

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Anyone else a tad amused as I am in how Callie is representing Fancy and Marie Hotdog Costume? Adds a touch of presumed character depth I say.

Then again, this is only one region. Might be different demographics in the other two.

I am guessing Costume will be more popular, and with the generally more experienced Squidboards having more people on Fancy, it seems Fancy may be the favorite. However, with the new splatfest system, it matters less how many good players vs bad players and more how many players have skills deviating from their Splatfest Power, so it could go either way.
Don't suppose anyone on here that can fluently read more than just English and/or plays in a non-NA region can give us a cursory report?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Anyone else a tad amused as I am in how Callie is representing Fancy and Marie Hotdog Costume? Adds a touch of presumed character depth I say.
Because women only fit neatly into the dichotomy of tomboy vs girly girl.

Let's give a case book example of myself. I am here playing vidya, I hate wearing make-up, I don't care for chick-flicks, I don't care much for romance novels or shipping.

I get facinated by dresses. I can stare at dresses in media especially in character art in animation for hours. I am really into plush toys as seen in my avatar. I spent a lot to import them. I also love wearing well matched clothes myself and really get upset when they get dirtied. I daww at adorable animals. I am thinking about my future child in my body right now and all the cute baby things I will buy in the upcoming months.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Because women only fit neatly into the dichotomy of tomboy vs girly girl.

Let's give a case book example of myself. I am here playing vidya, I hate wearing make-up, I don't care for chick-flicks, I don't care much for romance novels or shipping.

I get facinated by dresses. I can stare at dresses in media especially in character art in animation for hours. I am really into plush toys as seen in my avatar. I spent a lot to import them. I also love wearing well matched clothes myself and really get upset when they get dirtied. I daww at adorable animals. I am thinking about my future child in my body right now and all the cute baby things I will buy in the upcoming months.
No~! That goes against the "Order". You can't go messing around with the "Order"!

*twitches as sparks pop out*

Stop skewing my pre-programmed dichotomy! You're going to void my warranty if this continues.

*black smoke trailing out of ears*

Complexity—women?! Does. Not. Compute!

*powers down and collapses into a heap on the floor*

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3

Don't suppose anyone on here that can fluently read more than just English and/or plays in a non-NA region can give us a cursory report?
I think it is a conspiracy to give callie the less pop team for once. But ya Marie should be fancy, this does not fit their personalities.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I think it is a conspiracy to give callie the less pop team for once. But ya Marie should be fancy, this does not fit their personalities.
Try thinking of her as a hyperactive Disney Princess fangirl or the Splatoon equivalent of that who may be interested in the fancy dresses and stuff in that aspect. I can see it like that.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was a bit amused by Marie siding with Team Costumes myself, but then she went on about how she scammed people with her Crusty Sean costume. At that point, I decided her choice wasn't so out-of-character after all.

I think, perhaps, the contrast might be a result of that ridiculous-looking hot dog squidiot mascot representing the team. That I wouldn't associate with Marie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom