• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure what it is about eliter salt, where, no matter what anyone complains about in the game the uniform response is "git gud" but when it comes to eliters, even though you CAN "git gud" and avoid them as they were, everyone begged for and rejoices in a nerf hammer that massively kills a hard to learn weapon and throws months of practice out the window.
Perhaps there's an extent to which E-Litres are much more dangerous in non-squad battles because A) their locations can't be relayed and B) even if one is capable of working around a good enemy sniper, one needs to rely on one's teammates also to be, ehm, "gud" enough not to be totally hindered by the opposing sniper(s). Speaking as a short-range battler (so maybe this is just me), I definitely consistently find that, if there's one E-Litre in a lobby, the team that has that player is simply more likely to win. Not overwhelmingly so, but it can feel unfair over time.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Perhaps there's an extent to which E-Litres are much more dangerous in non-squad battles because A) their locations can't be relayed and B) even if one is capable of working around a good enemy sniper, one needs to rely on one's teammates also to be, ehm, "gud" enough not to be totally hindered by the opposing sniper(s). Speaking as a short-range battler (so maybe this is just me), I definitely consistently find that, if there's one E-Litre in a lobby, the team that has that player is simply more likely to win. Not overwhelmingly so, but it can feel unfair over time.
It's very understandable with what you say, but over the past few weeks, I've noticed it's hard to find a lobby without 2-4 eliters no matter what map. They come out more on maps chargers benefit from, then it's hard to find a lobby without 6 eliters, to the point they're grouping them together and such because there's so many. And I've noticed there's good and bad ones, but most of the ones with awful aim, to no surprise, usually are using the vanilla one, and they spam burst bombs. I've come across amazing ones with good aim, then the bad ones who, with stacked damage up or not, spam burst bombs and usually goes negative because that's all they rely on.

After taking some days to think, I'm sort of happy for the buffs/nerfs. Sure...we eliters that took the time to learn the weapon in and out will have to relearn everything, but at least it'll stray the burst bomb spammers away from the weapon. And I, as well as others, won't feel deterred from using the weapon in fear of being put on the team with one or two eliters.

LifeCereal

Inkling
NNID
nessconfirmed
Im partly happy, partly unhappy about that. Some things like the TTK meta had to go. But undoing things that people spent a lot of time learning, so late in the games cycle is kind of dopey.
I'm about 50/50 with it as well. I feel like the biggest thing I'm a little disappointed in is the burst bomb ink usage. I know they can be annoying when spammed but 25% to 40% is a bit excessive imo, especially since I feel like they've been established to be low cost in the ink department. TTK meta was a mess and will hopefully balance itself out after this update, though, fingers crossed!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@xXShadeXx, I think I can get on board with that. It would be interesting to see the E-liters become less of a common weapon and more a weapon used by... •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Elites. *is shot*

Might not be able to play till the weekend. But are there any 'casters planning to stream or record any vids once the update drops? Useful background noise and half-watching during downtime at work.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Love the changes to Echo/CB, it was the only thing that was still outright game-breaking for me. Sweet that also Mines got a much-needed buff(but still look awful- from the looks of it it still expires after 11 secs), and the buff to Inkstrike is rad too. Don't think it's going to change my mind about that Aero RG tho

Really don't get the additional nerfs to E-Liters, esp. the -%10 speed. BB cheesing aside, pre-patch E-Liters are fairly well balanced? It has high range and destructive potential for sure, but it also has to deal with it's very high skill floor, high ink consumption and abysmal ink coverage. The slowed speed out of all the nerfs will cripple the E-Liter the most, making it that much hard to escape, dodge bombs effectively, move to A to B and in the Custom's case it will persumably slow Kraken aswell.

There aren't many sniper kits in this game(Splat Chargers/E-Liters), nerfing them isn't any good as they fulfill an unique function in the team that can't be readily done by something like a hydra or cjs. I'm kinda worried these nerfs to chargers will continue, not because they are OP but because people simply can't deal with them properly and just want to see them nerfed instead. Snipers aren't that hard to deal with, people.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Might not be able to play till the weekend. But are there any 'casters planning to stream or record any vids once the update drops? Useful background noise and half-watching during downtime at work.
2dos with SRL have done it for a number of updates. They'll likely do it for this update too.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The strongest teams seem to always cluster together. Hydra might be amazing since it can chew through that now!
It almost feels like the higher in rank you go, the more likely players are to cluster together. Especially in Tower Control. The Hydra has become one of my favorite weapons for Tower Control because of how closely packed together people in the S and S+ rank tend to be . And now it'll be even more fun to use during Tower Control with the buff. xD

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I just realized that throughout all this and my mind being clouded, why wasn't anything done with the Inkzooka and its ridiculously stupid hitbox?

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
actually yeah you have a point. The dual only got that minor special buff (which a lot of different weapons also got). No range buff, no shot speed buff, no strafe buff, nothing. The dual will really struggle against a lot of other weapons now. That really sucks. Hopefully they'll buff it in the second sheldon's picks along with other weapons that didn't get buffed like the sloshing machine and ink brush.
I think ink efficeinty and some others things are being ignored here. Jets, Pros, Deco are ink consumers which means they have to sacrifice abilitieis or spend more down time recovering compared to dual. Im not a dual main so i don't know thier abilities but things like Run Speed is not something a CJS will immediatly start adding to there gear without some sacrifice. Thus, even tho CJS has same strafe speed as duals, some dual players will be faster in practice. Dual is also a better turfer than all 3. I rather wait and see but i think dual still have some pluses.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I like the Soda Slosher's set, and really think it's the best thing it could have pulled. Obviously the Bubbler was ruled out on the basis of the Slosher Deco, since 2 invincible specials on the same weapon stat wise isn't exactly fair. Killer Wail would have lumbered it, Bomb Rush is underwhelming generally, and Echolocator won't benefit its style. The Inkzooka gives it power and the Splat Bombs allow for sub attacks without leaving the main weapon defenceless. I hope its English name is the Soda Slosher, since it rolls off the tongue nicely and fits the colour scheme. Definitely considering maining it alongside its Deco brother.

The Bamboozler is underwhelming in my eyes, Burst Bombs won't help its cause, since that is slower than a full charge followed by an uncharged shot. The Inkstrike is an odd choice special, since it isn't useful at all on this weapon. The Mk II is better on the basis of disruptors and Echolocator, which enables the Bamboozler to disable and track players, and allows them to do the full charge and uncharged shot for the kill. Due to how quickly the Bamboozler gets a full charge the Burst Bombs aren't as useful as the Splash Wall or Disruptors on the other 2 so I don't see it being very viable, although I could be wrong.
i'm seeing the burst bombs as a way to lure out opponents from behind objects/walls, which can be tricky with chargers.

it can also be used to ink the ground where the normal shots don't, both for safety/escape and as a semi-point sensor in enemy ink (since the charge shots hardly cover any ground and it's easy for hiding enemies to be passed over uncovered). inkstrike is for... idk honestly. i've never used this special outside of early turf wars and i don't know what the point of it is. i guess it can help take a zone or force people off the tower? but i don't get what it adds to the bamboozler. i guess it's another way of scaring off e-liters from perches since it can be hard to get the 2HKO on them?

it's not like it's at all hard to pressure enemy chargers with the other bamboozlers, though...

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I just realized that throughout all this and my mind being clouded, why wasn't anything done with the Inkzooka and its ridiculously stupid hitbox?
Does the Inkzooka have that? I had always assumed that I was consistently being lagged out by shots, so although I get hit by it when it seems to be a metre away or more, I chalk that down to connection. But I'm not very well-informed about this Special, although I'll want to work it out in order better to use the Soda.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
  • Fixes an issue wherein opponents completely hidden by obstacles in the way could be hit by an inkzooka or Rainmaker attack fired upwards.
Also the inkzooka hitbox isn't as big as it seems. It's mostly lag that causes the hitbox to seem bigger than it actually is.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I think ink efficeinty and some others things are being ignored here. Jets, Pros, Deco are ink consumers which means they have to sacrifice abilitieis or spend more down time recovering compared to dual. Im not a dual main so i don't know thier abilities but things like Run Speed is not something a CJS will immediatly start adding to there gear without some sacrifice. Thus, even tho CJS has same strafe speed as duals, some dual players will be faster in practice. Dual is also a better turfer than all 3. I rather wait and see but i think dual still have some pluses.
Oh yeah. I'll definitely continue to use it. It is the most ink effecient of the bunch, but does lack quite a bit of killing power, which is also pretty important.

Apologies for the double post.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
  • Fixes an issue wherein opponents completely hidden by obstacles in the way could be hit by an inkzooka or Rainmaker attack fired upwards.
Also the inkzooka hitbox isn't as big as it seems. It's mostly lag that causes the hitbox to seem bigger than it actually is.
I have read that over, and I'm not ruling out lag as I've been on both ends with that special. I guess that should be good enough. Lag nothing can be done about, just wish it wouldn't happen so often as it's quite annoying to deal with.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Honestly out of all the weapon I feel the weapon that received the most buffs is the new squiffer, it doesn't get punished fr unchanged shot can reset inkmine were as before you have no subject if you played it wrong, and no special decrease (Aerospray also receive a gteat benefit due to a buff to it's sub and special)

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
So i can finally use hydra now! It might be time to start playing splatoon again.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Oh yeah. I'll definitely continue to use it. It is the most ink effecient of the bunch, but does lack quite a bit of killing power, which is also pretty important.

Apologies for the double post.
It should still kill faster than Jet tho and outspeeds Deco and Pro

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
It should still kill faster than Jet tho and outspeeds Deco and Pro
Yes it does kill faster than the jet but the jet outranges a lot of weapons. It's strafing my be faster, but the pro and .96 still kill faster than it (it's a slight difference, but still matters). I'm not at all saying it's a bad weapon. I've used it a ton, got to S with it and both variants are my most inked weapons. I just wished it was buffed along with the other two weapons that share it's range.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
My only issue is the Burst Bomb nerf was needed on the E Liter, so that's great, but the perfectly quiet and balanced Splattershot got undeservingly hit hard. I would have made ink consumption only 30-35%.

Everything else looks solid.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
With last patch in mind, with the buff to Tenacity, and Ink Recovery, and the new Hydra buff (probably fastest time to kill at the range), I have updated my Hydra Build. Tenacity to get that bubble, a little damage, to go beyond the 35.0, to help pop the rainmaker, kill damaged enemies faster, and for defense ups, and some run speed to round out all that ink recovery. Been going pretty well with this build.
upload_2016-4-11_21-20-47.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom