• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
My only issue is the Burst Bomb nerf was needed on the E Liter, so that's great, but the perfectly quiet and balanced Splattershot got undeservingly hit hard. I would have made ink consumption only 30-35%.

Everything else looks solid.
Nozzle D got hit absurdly hard as well. For me at least, Nozzle was Burst then shoot. This is because no matter how bad your aim, if the person gets damaged by bursts 2-3 bullets would guarntee a kill. With the patch nozzle requires a much more conservative style or some ability sacrifices

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Nozzle D got hit absurdly hard as well. For me at least, Nozzle was Burst then shoot. This is because no matter how bad your aim, if the person gets damaged by bursts 2-3 bullets would guarntee a kill. With the patch nozzle requires a much more conservative style or some ability sacrifices
We might see more use of the Vanilla L-3 now

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I love how they indirectly buffed the .96. They made it do as much as the .52 ( which is weird because the 96 is it big brother so the damage boost seems fitting to me) and they buffed the RNG. So in other words run the same set that you run on your .52.

I don't know how much a 11% decrease is, but it looks like the .52 is obsolete now. Just because it has more range. I don't know for sure though but imo the gals didn't really need a nerf. I'm not so sure about that, but I think that every 'OP' weapon is already as balanced as it could be withouth making them unviable.

But like I said, I don't know what that 11% decrease is, but if it's noticeable, then you would have a better .96 gal, all for the cost of some damage up.
And that's what I don't want to see, a better .96 gal.

Instead of nerfing the .96 gal, they could've nerfed the Tentatek, but no. Nerfing how fast it gets Inkzooka's is huge, I need to play much more passive now to get that Inkzooka, but the main weapon is still too good to be honest. I love the Tentatek, but even I can say it's a little bit to good for words.

My reasons why the .96 gal didn't deserve a nerf (nerf?): Almost everyone uses the .96 gal deco. And that weapon is a ink-hungry weapon. It slurps ink like a beast. It has the annoying random RNG that really can cost you especially if you just used a wall or your Kraken ran out. It still had the huge damage (62!) and always killing in 2 shots even with fall-off damage is huge. It also has great range which it can abuse if The RNG Gods love you. But if it didn't have the huge damage, then there would be absolutely no reason to use the .96 over the .52 gal. I find it a pretty dumb weapon tbh but you really need to know how to play with this weapon (I think?) and if the nerf is actual nerf then it would be unnecessary, unneeded, and a pretty dumb way to nerf it in general. But if this nerf actually helps out the .96, then there is no hard live RNG. And the .96 just becomes more powerfull

My reasons why the Tentatek Splattershot DESERVES a nerf: First of all, it's a easy to use weapon. Everyone can pick this weapon up and play good with it. Why it is easy to use is because of it good damage. A 3 shot kill is really good especially if you also have a good firerate. Not only that, this weapon is very ink friendly. Off the top of my head this weapon can shoot 14 seconds, consecutively before running out of ink. That's huge. Considering the range of this weapon.
And that's not it! It has Suction bombs to zone out an area/lure out a player and the Inkzooka the hit far away opponents that the Tentatek can reach. And the Inkzooka is basically a Instant charge E-litre, who just needs to aim in a general direction ( lag helps with this!). The weapon's firerate can keep Krakens at bay. And can almost insta-kill opponents. And although I absolutely love this weapon, this weapon deserves a nerf. Not the .96.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I have read that over, and I'm not ruling out lag as I've been on both ends with that special. I guess that should be good enough. Lag nothing can be done about, just wish it wouldn't happen so often as it's quite annoying to deal with.
Dynamo's real problem is lag induced, not the actual weapon. But they keep nerfing the weapon instead of fixing their broken netcode. Same with inkzooka. Inkzooka isn't REALLY that great a special given it's large charge time and ease of avoidance. But with lag it wips the map because nobody knows where to hide. Same with dynamo. Play dynamo, and it's impossible to kill anyone unless you hit them dead on, and even when you do it always seems to miss. But play against one and even catching the edge of the wave, AFTER you splatted them, and it's an ohko. Their solution? 10% reduced swim speed for dynamo....

Honestly out of all the weapon I feel the weapon that received the most buffs is the new squiffer, it doesn't get punished fr unchanged shot can reset inkmine were as before you have no subject if you played it wrong, and no special decrease (Aerospray also receive a gteat benefit due to a buff to it's sub and special)
True, but to be fair to squiffer, -20% uncharged shot range like eliter got would basically make it a manual fire sploosh :p

My only issue is the Burst Bomb nerf was needed on the E Liter, so that's great, but the perfectly quiet and balanced Splattershot got undeservingly hit hard. I would have made ink consumption only 30-35%.

Everything else looks solid.
It was needed for carbon roller too. Too many bad stealth carbons who couldn't aim their flings resorted to being burst bomb mains just like bad snipers recently.

The fact that Nozzle D was actually more popular than vanilla which has freaking DISRUPTORS tells us exactly why the bursts needed nerfing for it ;)

Personally I always liked vanilla better. So easy to rack up high k/d with that thing just playing spastic commando :)

@Hikaru54 So they buff the .96, they fail to nerf TTK sufficiently, and then they take ALL the changers short of squiffer/bambi and nerf them all the way back to spawn perching. Why do I feel like 2.8 is going to have to level all new nerf hammers against everything to keep it in line with the new chargers and force everyone into their designated roles? :rolleyes:

buttfield

Full Squid
.96 isn't really buffed, though. The damage reduction certainly isn't the ideal way of going about things (a reduction to range/fire rate would do far more), but it now demands Damage Up to ensure its TTK doesn't fall to the wayside. Deco also has the new special loss (again, not the ideal way of doing things), and the buff to accuracy is fairly small. The buffed SSP and Jet pretty much render it irrelevant, especially since they aren't affected by Defense Up.

D3ku

Inkling
NNID
Lucias64
Buffs to the NZap are welcome in my book, and I may use the splattershot once again. I am going to have to get ready for an influx of slosher users now though. Dont know how to feel about the .96 since its spread is getting buffed. Btw, what is TTK? New user here.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
.96 isn't really buffed, though. The damage reduction certainly isn't the ideal way of going about things (a reduction to range/fire rate would do far more), but it now demands Damage Up to ensure its TTK doesn't fall to the wayside. Deco also has the new special loss (again, not the ideal way of doing things), and the buff to accuracy is fairly small. The buffed SSP and Jet pretty much render it irrelevant, especially since they aren't affected by Defense Up.
.96 Deco was buffed in how it "should" be playing and nerfed from being overwhelming. Which I consider to be very good balancing. A simple nerf to range or fire rate wouldn't do anything to curb why the weapon myself was overwhelming while also unfairly hurting good players. So I'm not clear on why you personally think what happened wasn't "ideal" but I'll have to strongly disagree.

The biggest issue with .96 Deco play was the fact that with a charged Kraken they could always safely rush in being able to shoot several opponents out until they made a mistake and had to use their "get out of jail free" card. Nobody facing .96 Deco players liked that it could do range while also not being scared of close quarters combat.
The nerf takes care of this issue twofold by making Kraken harder to obtain after respawn, and forcing a player's equipment to include damage up abilities that could otherwise go to special charge or special saver abilities.
The buff now rewards .96 Deco players for successful range play that wasn't always possible before due to RNG.

Safer distance play will be rewarded while rushdown will be punished and occur less often.

Award

.96 Deco was buffed in how it "should" be playing and nerfed from being overwhelming. Which I consider to be very good balancing. A simple nerf to range or fire rate wouldn't do anything to curb why the weapon myself was overwhelming while also unfairly hurting good players. So I'm not clear on why you personally think what happened wasn't "ideal" but I'll have to strongly disagree.

The biggest issue with .96 Deco play was the fact that with a charged Kraken they could always safely rush in being able to shoot several opponents out until they made a mistake and had to use their "get out of jail frSee" card. Nobody facing .96 Deco players liked that it could do range while also not being scared of close quarters combat.
The nerf takes care of this issue twofold by making Kraken harder to obtain after respawn, and forcing a player's equipment to include damage up abilities that could otherwise go to special charge or special saver abilities.
The buff now rewards .96 Deco players for successful range play that wasn't always possible before due to RNG.

Safer distance play will be rewarded while rushdown will be punished and occur less often.
The flip side is they wanted to encourage more weapon diversity, but with both the SSPro and .96 getting buffed for proper range play, the .96 will still end up overused, while the SSPro will fill a similar role in a more mobile way but be the largely ignored. :(

buttfield

Full Squid
The buff allows slightly better ranged play, yes, but rushdown as a strategy isn't exactly punished when the strategy maintained via Damage Up and only committing when a charged Kraken is on hand, which improved accuracy makes a bit safer
The only reason this isn't an outright buff is because .96s now have to commit a few slots to maintaining TTK.

The flip side is they wanted to encourage more weapon diversity, but with both the SSPro and .96 getting buffed for proper range play, the .96 will still end up overused, while the SSPro will fill a similar role in a more mobile way but be the largely ignored. :(
Pro is outright better than .96 now. It outranges with roughly equal accuracy, doesn't have to run Damage Up at all, got improved save on both existing variants, and can cash in on both the Point Sensor and Inkstrike buffs.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I have a funny feeling that I'll be one of the few people who actually choose to learn the SSPro once it gets buffed. It's a shame, because with the increased range and fire rate, this has the potential to become one of the best weapons in the game, and with 3 variants, you can get pretty creative with your playstyle per mode, and have different options depending on what map/mode combo you're facing, and what the best way to handle everything is.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
The buff allows slightly better ranged play, yes, but rushdown as a strategy isn't exactly punished when the strategy maintained via Damage Up and only committing when a charged Kraken is on hand, which improved accuracy makes a bit safer
The only reason this isn't an outright buff is because .96s now have to commit a few slots to maintaining TTK.

Pro is outright better than .96 now. It outranges with roughly equal accuracy, doesn't have to run Damage Up at all, got improved save on both existing variants, and can cash in on both the Point Sensor and Inkstrike buffs.
Rushdown will be safer less often throughout the duration of a match now. Meaning a player who prefers rushdown may choose a weapon that's safer throughout the entire match like .52 Gal or Slosher Deco.

If anything the .96 Deco and SSPro are more equals now rather than one outclassing the other. .96 Deco still has one of the best kits in the game and a two shot kill at range on anyone without defense (most players) and can easily protect against defense with damage up. SSPro still has a slower TTK and hitting the third shot can still prove tricky, while it also does not have access to outside protection via wall or invincibility special making it a riskier weapon.

I'm hoping the weapon diversity does happen in a way that's not a mass exodus but rather people find one of the weapon's suits their playstyle more.

Award

I have a funny feeling that I'll be one of the few people who actually choose to learn the SSPro once it gets buffed. It's a shame, because with the increased range and fire rate, this has the potential to become one of the best weapons in the game, and with 3 variants, you can get pretty creative with your playstyle per mode, and have different options depending on what map/mode combo you're facing, and what the best way to handle everything is.
Ironically they announced the buff like 5 hours after I removed it finally from my mains list in my sig after not having used it for a little while. Back in it goes! :rolleyes:

If anything the .96 Deco and SSPro are more equals now rather than one outclassing the other. .96 Deco still has one of the best kits in the game and a two shot kill at range on anyone without defense (most players) and can easily protect against defense with damage up. SSPro still has a slower TTK and hitting the third shot can still prove tricky, while it also does not have access to outside protection via wall or invincibility special making it a riskier weapon.
True, though SSPro still has massively better mobility making players that know how to evade a lot harder to hit than "sitting duck" .96 (without a wall up.) So, yeah, maybe it does even it out a lot more, which isn't a bad thing at all. Then again, though I've always loved SSPro, they do this as I start picking up H3, so, *shrug* :D

I'm hoping the weapon diversity does happen in a way that's not a mass exodus but rather people find one of the weapon's suits their playstyle more.
I think that's what they were hoping for, but I don't think that's how the internet works. Everyone will go on /r/splatoon, ask what the "top tier weapons are", everyone will parrot a list of 5 weapons deemed by the numbers to be the top tier for the current meta, and we'll have a new version of the TTK/Gal meta all over again :rolleyes::( On the internet, everyone is unique, just like everybody else!

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425

The biggest issue with .96 Deco play was the fact that with a charged Kraken they could always safely rush in being able to shoot several opponents out until they made a mistake and had to use their "get out of jail free" card. Nobody facing .96 Deco players liked that it could do range while also not being scared of close quarters combat.

I recently was doing that with comeback. I just stacked swim speeds and special charge. Then played hyper agressive like i was a tentaek. The opness of .96 under comeback on top of super fast charge kraken was ridicoulous.

buttfield

Full Squid
Everyone will go on /r/splatoon, ask what the "top tier weapons are", everyone will parrot a list of 5 weapons deemed by the numbers to be the top tier for the current meta, and we'll have a new version of the TTK/Gal meta all over again :rolleyes::( On the internet, everyone is unique, just like everybody else!
With the exception of "EPIC HIPSTER" sorts who will just be mad that they can't run Hydra anymore.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
TTK stands for time-to-kill, which is the amount of time it takes for a weapon to kill. Some weapons kill faster than other like the .52 gal kills faster than the splattershot. TTK here could als mean tentatek, as in tentatek splattershot.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

DUDE's opinions on the patch if anyone's curious

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
WVW69jG2WoIYCnvE7B.jpg

Splash-o-matic (left) vs splattershot (right) post 2.7.0.
Note: the dummy does not affect the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom