Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Jazzy-Squid94

Inkling
NNID
Justinius94
Well I'd already transitioned to Custom Charger so don't care much about the burst bomb nerfs, special saver looks like will be far more relevant now. I will say the range nerf on charger sucks a bit but will just force us to get better and more accurate as shots now count more than ever.

Oh and hail Hydra I guess (time to learn a new weapon :) )

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I haven't mentioned that Special Saver is going to be paramount.
96 deco users will have to revamp their whole set, no more Defense Up ***** stacking and actually use proper skills, tfw they could 3 shot is tremendous.
All the yung chargers will stop and the serious mains will continue and adjust.
Sloshers and Jet Squelcher have new life.
I'm even considering the Permanent Inkbrush now that I know its gear.
Neo Sploosh is the kraken master
All the lobbies may hold some Wasabi or Berries.
Depending on the other Sheldon Picks, this meta is going to shift even further.

I may have to run Swim Speed a lot more in general. (I'm thinking waist coat)

Garo

Inkling
I'm kind of surprised that Sploosh-o-matic wasn't touched while Splash and N-ZAP were. Maybe when Sheldon's Picks vol.2 rolls around? Anyway, the buffs to Ink Mines, Seekers and Hydra Splatling are appreciated.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Slosher burst cancelling is going to be really powerful now, since the radius of burst bombs increased, and firing speed increased 20%, so slosher is going to be really good now, since you can kill really fast and somewhat inaccurately.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
First @Nintendome are you seeing this?

Second,isn't the end of the charger all the charger nerf does is make sure you fully charge your shots, like the 1st dynamo nerf, it just require you to put more effort in order to use it effectively, although the shorter nerf will help to stop of damage up chargers and push them more toward swim/run speed sets or defense up sets instead

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I'm really hyped for the Splash buffs, I really love the Neo Splash, and am in the midst of learning it (going for Pilot Goggles and try for shiny Damage subs, Cold-Blooded where I have Triple Swim and a Shiny Run shirt and my White Kicks), and one main of Bomb Range Up really helps bridge the gap between the range of the Splash and the distance of long ranged weapons. Not too sad that Burst Bombs are going up in ink usage from 25% to 40%, because I can still throw 2 and have 20% of my ink left over to finish off weakened opponents, rather than risk throwing 4 to get the splat and have no ink. Cold-Blooded will always be an invaluable tool for this weapon and many other short ranged/slow shot weapons where they rely on stealth to take people out without trading. Like mentioned before me, every second spent marked is a huge disadvantage, because you can't flank, and you can't hide and ambush either, 4.5 seconds versus 9 is still a good reward imo, since it's still getting rid of marks fairly quickly, just not as fast as before. The shortening of these effects will have a larger impact on Echolocator, Point Sensors and Haunt than it will on Cold-Blooded, and I'm honestly surprised it took nearly 11 months before Cold-Blooded was finally hit with a nerf of some kind, since it shortened the effects so much that it was kind of OP, even if it is useless in matches without Haunt, Echolocator or Point Sensors on the other team. RIP Hitzel and his Splattershot build with this update too :P

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I dunno how I feel about the 96 nerf. At this point it seems like the 96 will be almost completely overshadowed by the 52 a better time to kill, ink efficiency (which when walls are involved is a big deal aster the 2.2.0 patch) and fire rate. It has a better range and accuracy and of course kraken so I don't see it going away entirely but I predict more and more people to shift to the 52.

As a whole though Im liking the look of this patch. Jet Squelchers (my fav), mostly the Custom, will be serious top weapons now even if they were very good to begin with even with burst bomb nerf. Burst bombs were very versatile with not too many weaknesses so I'm fine with the nerf. Hydras and slosher will be used much much more because they can secure kills easier. Maybe the Pro will be used more but its iffy to say although I am curious how the increase initial velocity of shots will impact it.

Also RIP Jr if "Potato Splashomatic" turns out to be real.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
No Inkzooka nerf makes me cry.
  • Fixes an issue wherein opponents completely hidden by obstacles in the way could be hit by an Inkzooka or Rainmaker attack fired upwards.
Not exactly a nerf, but a welcomed fix. It's not listed in the pdf since it's more like a fix than a nerf. Link to the full list of all the changes are on the first page of this thread.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
I have a question regarding the .96 nerf.

For people who mostly used the .96 Deco for the combination of Splash Wall + 2HKO ability, how does the nerfed version stack up against the .52? They now do the same damage, but the .52 has a faster fire rate, moves faster when shooting, and is more ink efficient in general. The only stat the .96 wins at is range.

Will .96 Deco users start jumping ship to the .52? Does Kraken over Killer Wail sweeten the deal enough to keep people using it? Will the 11% spread buff on the .96 be of any significance at range where it's currently an RNG fest?

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

For people who mostly used the .96 Deco for the combination of Splash Wall + 2HKO ability, how does the nerfed version stack up against the .52? They now do the same damage, but the .52 has a faster fire rate, moves faster when shooting, and is more ink efficient in general. The only stat the .96 wins at is range.

Will .96 Deco users start jumping ship to the .52? Does Kraken over Killer Wail sweeten the deal enough to keep people using it? Will the 11% spread buff on the .96 be of any significance at range where it's currently an RNG fest?
I honestly doubt people will switch to the .52. More range may not seem like that much of an advantage but it is. Range can play a pretty big roll in this game. not to mention the fact that it has kraken. We won't see less .96 gal deco's, we'll just see the same amount but this time with much different builds than before. Most likely swim speed, damage up amd special saver/charge. Plus the fact that it's accuracy improved means .96 mains might be even happier than before. The damage nerf is pretty easily countered by damage up. Just look at the splattershot. It's damage was nerfed, but there sure wasn't a decrease in their use.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
  • Fixes an issue wherein opponents completely hidden by obstacles in the way could be hit by an Inkzooka or Rainmaker attack fired upwards.
Not exactly a nerf, but a welcomed fix. It's not listed in the pdf since it's more like a fix than a nerf. Link to the full list of all the changes are on the first page of this thread.
Oh my, that is a wonderful fix. Assuming the issue is truly fixed, then dealing with the Inkzooka will be a lot easier.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Which has been fixed.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
But by how much? I'm having a hard time visualizing how much more accurate it will be with 11% spread decrease.
This fundamentally makes the .96 a long range .52, very similar spread, that is what they tried to do, make the spread the same, so visualize the spread of the .52, and this should be similar, albeit a little worse due to the range.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
This fundamentally makes the .96 a long range .52, very similar spread, that is what they tried to do, make the spread the same, so visualize the spread of the .52, and this should be similar, albeit a little worse due to the range.
Ooh, I can definitely live with this. I'm now cautiously excited to try it out. Already have a few pieces of gear in mind to pair with it.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Curious what the "several enhancements to improve the user's experience and enjoyment." Perhaps bgm & sfx controls? *sparkly eyes*

I'm pondering how the scene for chargers will be, I almost always shoot full charge even when inking and hardly use damage ups myself as it is. I guess this means our aim, distancing, and rhythm will have to be even more on point. Especially for E-liters.

Short of removing it from the game entirely, I don't see how the bamboozler could possibly get nerfed. ;)
((i'm just kidding bamboozler mains i still love you))
*side eyeing you*

Making a note of that.

*remembers still at a skill level where Splash Wall is earning more splats than the actual weapon* Mrgrgr! :mad:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425

Yes that 11% on RNG is why i dont care much about .96 nerfs. If im not mistaken the buff to 94.35% makes only the L3 and Splashmatic beat it in accuracy among shooters. Iirc, 1 dmg sub boosts will make a .96 kill in 2 hits for 1 def main. 1 Damage main will put you at 99.6 against two def main. So if they grazed ink, the enemy is dead in 2 hitz. With range+accuracy, i would stick to 1 dmg main at most or maybe 1 main and 1.sub....unless everything im saying is wrong. Its also why i highly doubt ppl will flock in spades to .52 from .96.

From my exp playing .96 with 1 saver main, it doesnt change the TOTAL number of Krakens you get in an average game too much...at least for me So i think the nerf will be felt but not necvesarily to the extent you have to add more special gear than your already using.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Yes that 11% on RNG is why i dont care much about .96 nerfs. If im not mistaken the buff to 94.35% makes only the L3 and Splashmatic beat it in accuracy among shooters. Iirc, 1 dmg sub boosts will make a .96 kill in 2 hits for 1 def main. 1 Damage main will put you at 99.6 against two def main. So if they grazed ink, the enemy is dead in 2 hitz. With range+accuracy, i would stick to 1 dmg main at most or maybe 1 main and 1.sub....unless everything im saying is wrong. Its also why i highly doubt ppl will flock in spades to .52 from .96.

From my exp playing .96 with 1 saver main, it doesnt change much the TOTAL number of Krakens you get in an average game too much...at least for me So i think the nerf will be felt but not necvesarily to the extent you have to add more special gear than your already using.
Keep in mind that you lose a lot more special (25% more) when a .96 deco user gets splatted after the patch, so it'll be much harder to get it now. If you're good at surviving than it shouldn't really be much of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom