Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
From my exp playing .96 with 1 saver main, it doesnt change the TOTAL number of Krakens you get in an average game too much...at least for me So i think the nerf will be felt but not necvesarily to the extent you have to add more special gear than your already using.
Except that you lose 75% of your special gauge when you die as a .96 deco now, so that is a pretty big nerf, and overall may need some special saver to negate this.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Keep in mind that you lose a lot more special (25% more) when a .96 deco user gets splatted after the patch, so it'll be much harder to get it now. If you're good at surviving than it shouldn't really be much of a problem.
We both answered at the same time! lol

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
This fundamentally makes the .96 a long range .52, very similar spread, that is what they tried to do, make the spread the same, so visualize the spread of the .52, and this should be similar, albeit a little worse due to the range.
The 96 had better accuracy to begin with. Its in the description of the regular 96.
"Similar to the .52 Gal, but with an improved mechanism and a more stable shot. Range and power have been increased...at the cost of being even more ink hungry."
The .52 just had a better fire rate and often got up close to enemies because of its very good time to kill to negate the issue of spread.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Im aware of the loss :p. I have a build where i use special and played around with the numbers and one that i dont. For specials one i play agressivly and i dont see the nerf changing my abiltities. For others, you either should have a potential free slot or two as thats what made .96 great, its versatility, or you should be playing it defensively.

@above i didnt say the .96 had less accuracy than .52 at all. Im talking about where it stands now with other shooters and how the better rng will be great to have

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
The 96 had better accuracy to begin with. Its in the description of the regular 96.
"Similar to the .52 Gal, but with an improved mechanism and a more stable shot. Range and power have been increased...at the cost of being even more ink hungry."
The .52 just had a better fire rate and often got up close to enemies because of its very good time to kill to negate the issue of spread.
I guess it is more technically that they now will have similar (shots to kill) / (max range) ratio, since .52 barely misses a shot in its max range, while the .96 misses more often in its max range.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
@above i didnt say the .96 had less accuracy than .52 at all. Im talking about where it stands now with other shooters and how the better rng will be great to have
Oh I agree it will be great to have but I was replying to Skoodge instead.

I guess it is more technically that they now will have similar (shots to kill) / (max range) ratio, since .52 barely misses a shot in its max range, while the .96 misses more often in its max range.
I don;t understand. How can the .96 miss less shots at max range than the .52 if it has a better accuracy? I also don;t see how the ver2.7.0 96 gal have .52 spread with longer range if its getting over 11% accuracy buffs.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Accuracy is probably a misleading term. Its probaly more correct to say RNG middle finger. At least how i understand it. I havnt figured out fully but ibeleive SK and/or Dude has discussed this. But basically, at certain distances or other variables you will hit your opponent and do ZERO damage based on your weps acc number. This can be replicated in the testing room i beleive.

I think the closer you are the less accuracy is applied to the game.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I don;t understand. How can the .96 miss less shots at max range than the .52 if it has a better accuracy? I also don;t see how the ver2.7.0 96 gal have .52 spread with longer range if its getting over 11% accuracy buffs.
I was saying I was incorrect in the accuracy, but if you've played .96 a lot, it is very RNG heavy to hit at max range sometimes. It misses a lot at full range, since the bullets are slow, and off center, making them drift away in the time it takes to get to the target.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Yes that 11% on RNG is why i dont care much about .96 nerfs. If im not mistaken the buff to 94.35% makes only the L3 and Splashmatic beat it in accuracy among shooters. Iirc, 1 dmg sub boosts will make a .96 kill in 2 hits for 1 def main. 1 Damage main will put you at 99.6 against two def main. So if they grazed ink, the enemy is dead in 2 hitz. With range+accuracy, i would stick to 1 dmg main at most or maybe 1 main and 1.sub....unless everything im saying is wrong. Its also why i highly doubt ppl will flock in spades to .52 from .96.

From my exp playing .96 with 1 saver main, it doesnt change the TOTAL number of Krakens you get in an average game too much...at least for me So i think the nerf will be felt but not necvesarily to the extent you have to add more special gear than your already using.
I'm unfamiliar with the current accuracy numbers, but I just had a thought: Is the increase additive or multiplicative?

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Accuracy is probably a misleading term. Its probaly more correct to say RNG middle finger.
lol nice
At least how i understand it. I havnt figured out fully but ibeleive SK and/or Dude has discussed this. But basically, at certain distances or other variables you will hit your opponent and do ZERO damage based on your weps acc number. This can be replicated in the testing room i beleive.

I think the closer you are the less accuracy is applied to the game.
I was saying I was incorrect in the accuracy, but if you've played .96 a lot, it is very RNG heavy to hit at max range sometimes. It misses a lot at full range, since the bullets are slow, and off center, making them drift away in the time it takes to get to the target.
ok thanks for clearing that up. The point about slow firing bullets makes sense in combination with accuracy issues makes a lot of sense. And yeah, I know 96 was very RNG dependant since often zoning enemies could be a good stratagy against short ranged foes. The better RNG will certainly help a lot.

Edit: BTW sorry for the awful formatting
Edit 2: fixed ^

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I'm unfamiliar with the current accuracy numbers, but I just had a thought: Is the increase additive or multiplicative?
Id assume its multiplicative. Because additive would make jet squelcher broken. If its additibe it wouldnt change much and where it sits with other weps. It would just have a 96 stat instead of 94.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Stage adjustments
  • Saltspray Rig: Adjustments to prevent players from taking certain shortcuts in all modes.
  • Bluefin Depot: Fixed a problem where players could go inside a certain object in Rainmaker mode.
  • Flounder Heights: Adjustments to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in Tower Control mode.
Any guesses what sort of shortcuts they are referring to? And are they that match breaking?

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I'm not understanding the RIP 96 comments. The damage was slightly reduced, but it is still a 2 shot, just requires users to use some damage up if necessary. The big thing that stood out to me was the reduced spread. I would say the 96 got buffed more than nerfed. If the issues with missing shots due to random spread have disappeared I may try using the weapon more often.

Award

I'm wondering if the designers had a little too much saki when they designed this thing. The spc charge nerf list seems almost random. Jr. in the 60% bracket?? Huh? Nerfing Krak-On's spc charge when that's the main element of that roller? Little odd.

The weapon nerfs/buffs....Hydra, cool, some others kind of cool. Finally 96 is weakened. But WTF did they do to chargers? I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I'm thankfully a multi-weapon main so if chargers are now not viable I can always go brush/roller/sploosh/hydra, and I welcome more chances to take a hydra than I used to have, and part of me is happy since NOBODY is going to want to play eliters anymore, which is a good thing since I haven't been able to play it recently due to the fact that every team consists of 3-4 chargers when I do. So something making them less popular is good. However, the massive decrease in uncharged range makes them useless except for the very slow occasional full charge shots. Players that were already salty about "chargers are useless on your team" are going to have a field day over them now, as eliter k/d's are going to drop exponentially and their turfing will suck to match. It's now reduced to a pure support weapon which indeed makes it useless among the midrange shooter fest.

They needed to curb the effects of scummed damage up stackers, so that a non-scum-stacked eliter isn't disadvantaged compared to scum stacked eliters. Now they just made eliter a little bit of a joke between the slower swim speed, and the inability to shoot more often than every 5 seconds. The biggest effect, though is they may have killed off the scoped versions of all chargers for good. The only way to use them was to charge-while aiming - but you'd never have time with aware targets to do that to full charge. The fact it now has no advantage over unscoped for uncharged shots, and the need to charge up to full charge?

Does anyone know if "uncharged shot range reduced to match [unscoped] means the NEW -20% god-awful nerf for unscoped, or if it means the OLD range for unscoped. A 20% range loss is pretty severe in how it changes the whole way eliters are used and dramatically reduces their usefulness.

The 6% charge speed buff MAY mitigate it, but, IMO the main effect of this is that you NEED to hold your charge and flick shot which pretty much removes scoped eliters from any and all usability in the game giving unscoped all the advantages.

That's really awful. I know the popularity of eliter had to be curbed, but not the the point of obsoleting a weapon.

On the other hand, all the more reason for me to continue playing with H3 and Bamboozler if C3K isn't usable anymore!

Also, slosher is the new May 2015 roller. :rolleyes:

Edit: The big issue here is no player at the high ranks can afford to simply sit waaay back at the designated perch for the entire match and do nothing but snipe. You have to join the fray and be aggressive, even with eliter. With this nerf, it reduces the mobility of eliter and removes most of the ability to shot at midrange, meaning all eliters are going to be stuck as "perch snipers" - a role I'm not even certain is viable in high ranks outside of organized squads.

Last edited:

tape1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
tape11
Switch Friend Code
SW-3407-1101-4635
An Ink Mine can be set when one has already been placed. Note: Placing the second Ink Mine will cause the first unexploded Ink Mine to disappear.
So we got remote detonators now? This is awesome. That sub needed a buff.

Also the tentatek got nerfed but the other splattershots didn't? The Wasabi Splattershot might displace the Tentatek in splat zones then.

Award

The ink mine thing is at least a really good improvement I've called for a few times!

tape1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
tape11
Switch Friend Code
SW-3407-1101-4635
No, the Ink Mine pretty much works like Sprinklers. It doesn't actually explode.
Damn, that's too bad. At least there's now a way to replace them I guess.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Any guesses what sort of shortcuts they are referring to? And are they that match breaking?

They're probably referring to the part of saltspray rig where you climb up the ledge where snipers go to reach the center of the stage. The only shortcuts I see from Flounder heights is the building and the tower can be used as leverage to help get into the enemy base (thanks to the grates place near the base or sniper point). At least it isn't crazy like the restricted zones in rainmaker stages. Why would they have restricted zones near the base? The only ones who "benefit" from it are those who are at the base/spawn point since they aren't reachable to the opposing team. Walleye Warehouse and Flounder heights are the only ones with restricted spots and people with the rainmaker have to jump off their ledges. To be honest, I'm surprised that urchin underpass doesn't have one since their's a corridor that anyone can reach, not to mention the added climbable boxes placed on rain maker. In fact, I'm surprised urchin underpass hasn't been nerfed. There are spots where sprinklers benefit from the stage's surroundings like the trees or the rafter (that tall thing in the center of the stage).

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
There's no way the vanilla Jet will be used in favour of the Custom, and that is simply down to Splash Walls and Inkstrike vs Burst Bombs and Kraken. Burst Bombs, even with the nerf next week, are more flexible and better fitted to the Jet than the Splash Wall, since the Burst Bombs shorten the TTK. I suggest a build that has some Damage, Ink Recovery and Swim Speed. Cold Blooded wouldn't hurt either, since the weapon relies on range, and being marked for 9 seconds (as of 2.7.0) will enable the enemy team to get close, and the Jet suffers in CRC. Splash Walls are on their way out as it is, since they are weak and are easy to counter. The Kraken saves you in those CRC situations, and is still a Get Out of Jail card, whereas the Inkstrike will not save you. Even with the 50% increase in your strafe movement, Swim Speed is more useful than Run Speed as slow strafe weapons benefit from swimming between shots and the Swim Speed perks greatly benefit the Kraken special.
I think Burst Bombs are used to round out the Custom Jet Squelcher as they give you a way to defend yourself in close quarters. The new Burst Bombs will have the same or neglible increase in TTK compared to the current set up we have now. The difference will be that you're going to be losing 40% of your ink reserves for launching a Burst Bomb.

I think that's why it could possibly make the Custom Jet Squelcher more viable; because of the Burst Bomb's new ink consumption. The Custom will no longer be as well rounded as its defense against close range weapons is about to be severely nerfed. It feels to me like they're trying to make the Squelcher a long range only weapon, and at long ranges both perfom equally.

Anyway it's waaay too early to tell, but that's my theory on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom