• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Arright, here's a couple off the top of my head, hope they're useful:

If you get a roller, put yourself on cleaning duty. Stay behind your teammates and make sure they always have a clear route to the egg basket, and maybe mow down chums and smallfries along the way (be careful with cohocks though, unless you've got the Dynamo Roller, in which case feel free to bask in your power). Also, keep an eye on your teammates and revive them immediately.

If you get splatted, try to get into the crossfire so your teammates can revive you without making detours.

Once the quota is met, surival comes first. Don't take any unnecesary risks just for a a few extra golden eggs, and if a teammate nearby gets splatted, revive them ASAP. Often the action gets focused on a small portion of the map toward the end of a wave; if this is the case, don't feel guilty for running away if you're the last one standing and there's only 10-15 seconds left. You're not abandoning your team, you're ensuring at least one of you makes it. Be careful though, because it's all on you from that point.

If the glowflies swarm around you, retreat immediately to the highest point of the level (the nose of the ship in Marooner's Bay, or the pedestal behind the egg basket in Lost Outpost and Spawning Grounds), or any high point that only has one ramp leading to it. This forces the salmonids into a bottleneck that conveniently allows you and your teammates to stand and mow them down. You can also try painting a wall to some height and retreating into it; you won't be able to help your teammates though, and if they get splatted you're pretty much screwed.

A similar tip applies to grillers: if you're targeted, retreat to an elevated point that also offers a long drop (e.g. the elevator in Marooner's Bay, or the window behind the egg basket in Lost Outpost). Wait for the griller to approach, then just before it gets to you, drop down. Since grillers can only travel on even paths, they have to go all the way around, giving your team ample time to take them down.

Sound advise.
On the glowfly round in general I think your best option is to have the crew hug the egg basket.
The front of the ship is called the Bow (bou) ;).

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
A bit of a late response, but I do like the idea of throwing some general tips here. There's a few finer points I'm still in the dark about.

Some I can try to regurgitate:

With Grillers, it's sometimes a good idea to find a step that is up to your knee. Grillers can't move down or over ledges. If you use it, you can jump up and down the step to make the Griller very predictable and easy to beat. Either that, or find one away from your team, so you can take on a Griller by yourself while the team deals with the other one. A couple of good locations are right outside of a window in Lost Outpost, and along the grates in Spawning Grounds. If I have a decent shooter weapon or Slosher, I can solo a Griller while my teammates take on the other.

With the Mothership, most people know to use Stingray on it when it is about to take the eggs. What alot of them don't seem to know is where to aim. If you aim in the center of the Mothership, and on the top, where all of the baskets are, you'll shoot down alot more baskets. Most people I see usually shoot in the center of the Mothership. Also I think it's only worth using Stingray on the first time it tries to steal your eggs. During the second time, there's not enough time to collect any of the eggs you shoot down. However if it's the third wave, and you still have two Stingrays, may as well use both of them.

Those are the only things I can think of that might not be common knowledge.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Don't ever egg guard. Egg guarding is when you sit still on a bunch of eggs that are far from basket, sitting there to prevent snatchers from taking them.

The few times i lose in SR freelance, it's mostly because somebody tried to egg guard. The worst thing about it to stop somebody from egg guarding is to play along, fooling them into thinking their strategy is working. It isn't.

When you egg guard, you effectively don't do anything. You don't thin the horde, ink more paths or take out other bosses. The active team is effectively reduced to 3, not to mention you're an isolated target. The moment salmon show up at your position you're pretty helpless and you have to travel all the way back to your team if you get killed.

Where you defeat bosses matters, as it's the difference between spending 1 second dropping eggs or 20 seconds traveling back and forth. It doesn't matter if there are like 30 eggs at the far reaches of the map, getting them is so much of a hassle they're practically worthless.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
All solid advise I think. Just not sure how we can compress it so I can try to stick it in the OP.

Been a pro since like the 3rd SR ever and did not know that griller trick. Good stuff,

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Don't ever egg guard. Egg guarding is when you sit still on a bunch of eggs that are far from basket, sitting there to prevent snatchers from taking them.

The few times i lose in SR freelance, it's mostly because somebody tried to egg guard. The worst thing about it to stop somebody from egg guarding is to play along, fooling them into thinking their strategy is working. It isn't.

When you egg guard, you effectively don't do anything. You don't thin the horde, ink more paths or take out other bosses. The active team is effectively reduced to 3, not to mention you're an isolated target. The moment salmon show up at your position you're pretty helpless and you have to travel all the way back to your team if you get killed.
Yes, totally, absolutely, definitely.

To add to this, which is sorta related. I think it's important to know when to leave some distant eggs if the main area is getting swarmed with salmonid. In the time you could collect six eggs off to the far side of the map, you could take down 4 bosses closer to the basket for more eggs and it keeps the team together and ready for more action.

I notice most of my team wipes these days come from everyone being too far apart and individually getting swarmed. In part because of one or two members thinking the eggs a stinger left on a dock is more important than the two steel eels in the center causing havoc.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Are masks a fashion item in JP or what i don't understand

The game really likes adding them in the game, but they all look fugly imho.

Foxtrot

Full Squid

In Asian countries Facial masks are extremely common place. The population is usually so high in most areas that people use them as to not catch/spread sickness in crowded areas, theyre also used to keep warm in the cold. As such theyve become a fashion piece in themselves in Asia, predominantly Korea and Japan.

What does the mask look like? Im away from the game so I cant see it. I don't generally mind the masks, so long as the pattern isnt fugly. Also why havent we gotten any shoes yet? We've had 3 shirts, 2 headgear as of now, but no shoes at all.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral

Small snippet from the link..

Studies have found that among many young Japanese, masks have evolved into social firewalls; perfectly healthy teens now wear them, along with audio headsets, to signal a lack of desire to communicate with those around them. This is particularly true for young women seeking to avoid harassment on public transit, who also appreciate the relative anonymity the masks provide.

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

Foxtrot. Just a plain white mask.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Griller round with this load out.. Forgettaboutit. That dynamo roller is slower than a sea slug going up hill.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
The Dynamo is a wondrous thing
It halfens its ink tank in just one swing
Its weaknesses are plain to see
Regardless of those, lend it to me!~

Myeah... ;D Anyhoodles, this last Salmon Run could be a toughie as some of the weapons can be hard to master. But they were so much fun, though. I really like both the Dynamo and the Inkbrush. The Inkbrush is a life saver in many chaotic games. :) I'm getting much better at utilising the Dynamo's ink tank. I just have to remember to keep filling it back up.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Dang I thought this run would be terrible, but then something happened.

264 points to my super bonus, 2nd wave, with me equipped with the dynamo roller. It began to get dark and I though: "dang it were gonna get destroyed by the grillers, I mean cmon, it's high tide!" But then the gushes started popping up. Then mr frizz announced that it was the Goldie was hiding around here somewhere. I was playing with the dynamo and I knew the trick to get a lot of eggs. Long story short, I got over 40 eggs that round...but then got wiped the final round because 2 of my teammates disconeced. Still got a lot of points though! :D

AA Battery

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunshinett
This was one hectic shift. The Dynamo and the Inkbrush, the slowest-to-attack weapon and a weaker close-range weapon that’s a bit slow to splat, in the same rotation ^.^’. Though the Lost Outpost made the Inkbrush’s roll very helpful, as the stage’s mostly horizontal. The Squiffer was helpful as well, as in a square map like the Lost Outpost, the salmonids are generally within an arm’s reach, so you don’t have to go too far out of your way and expose yourself to danger. I had a couple crew-wipes, but this rotation was still fun. I had a lot more disconnections than usual though, anyone else?

Last edited:

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
really want to like the GooTuber....

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Salmon Run has been quite crazy so far. So you have things like this happening (props to my freelance colleague there!)...

As well as the the obligatory "Libra no, why are you doing this?" signature jump.
Do not try this at home, kids.

And now to the tips exchange since I've been freelancing quite a lot today, I cannot stress what Elecmaw said enough: For the love of cheetos, do not egg guard at the end of the universe. In fact, do not egg guard at all. The only rounds I lost was due to not only one, but two apparently self-proclaimed pro egg-guards who ended up being the least productive fellas I've ever seen. Do you know what being overrun by a horde feels like? Cause that's what being overrun by a horde feels like. Hope you enjoy your shiny golden egg collection in your watery grave, cause if they don't end up where you need them to be they're kinda worthless, y'know? :D

Now here's what you can consider doing instead: If the eggs are close enough, throw a bomb just as you swam away a bit, the snatcher will die and it will give you enough time to collect the eggs. Don't make this your primary focus though, if there's something better to do at this very moment, consider just taking that one egg and killing more bosses closer to the basket, you'll end up cashing in more.

Now for some random one-liner fortune-cookie tips of the day:
  • If you see a teammate within your bomb throwing range, throw a bomb to save a life.
  • Stingray makes for an eggcelent Flyfish obliterator. Consider using it in wave 3 to save some time taking them down.
  • Do not undererstimate stingers for they wipe a whole crew in wave 3 if left alone for too long, especially towards the end.
  • If you happen to stand next to a Drizzler balloon, shoot it. Your teammates will thank you.
  • If you see a colleague in trouble, help him out. Take out chum about to splat him, ink him some ground so he can escape.
  • If your quota is met and you're in a pickle, see if you can focus on reviving or running away. Don't try to be a hero for that one extra egg. It's not worth it!

Last edited:

archie

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7575-5779-9669
Oh man. Last night I played like ten runs of SR in a row, and every one of them had a griller wave. One of them had two.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Last night, one of my runs had two teammates were almost useless... first wave, they didn't notice there was low tide despite me and other teammate spamming "This Way!". Until they splatted by Stinger. Barely past first wave.
On second wave, it's low tide again. They joined in but they proceeded to do nothing for last 30 seconds. They're in squid forms jumping on high ground, leaving me and useful teammate do hard work.
Finally, on wave 3, they acted like serious Grizzco workers. What's up with those players?

Oh, I forgot to mention... it's Profreshional, around 140, IIRC.

Village Squidiot

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5320-0179-1531
Yes, totally, absolutely, definitely.

To add to this, which is sorta related. I think it's important to know when to leave some distant eggs if the main area is getting swarmed with salmonid. In the time you could collect six eggs off to the far side of the map, you could take down 4 bosses closer to the basket for more eggs and it keeps the team together and ready for more action.

I notice most of my team wipes these days come from everyone being too far apart and individually getting swarmed. In part because of one or two members thinking the eggs a stinger left on a dock is more important than the two steel eels in the center causing havoc.
Another good tip to the alternative of egg guarding is when you swim back to the basket just turn real quick and toss a bomb back to the eggs. this is also very useful if youve got a weaker weapon and arent good up close in the fire fight but still wanna help your team and get eggs. you can swoop in and grab an egg and then peel out and toss a bomb back to help clear some of the horde for your team mates so they can also get out of there alive

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom