• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If every weapon can take care of Stingers, I'd say it's a good shift, so this one was definitely a good shift. Though sadly I lost two matches and then didn't have the opportunity to play anymore so I went down 100 Profresh points.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
That last shift was fairly easy. Didn't mind playing it while it was on the entire time honestly. Made it to almost 700, but I'd say that was a good shift. Even beat the max hazard level with ease.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Fun load out today and on my favorite map. Kind of on the fence with the sloshing machine though. Would rather see the other 2 in the slosher class personally.

Last edited:

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I didn't care for the sloshing machine. Mobility was hard. I'm also not to big on the squeezer. This wasn't a good shift for me. Oh well... Always next time.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Don't you just love when you're playing Ink Cannons and the two people on the field DON'T pick up the clearly open eggs and instead try to slay bosses...

Seriously just had a match end with us 2 short because the two guys decided it was a smart idea to tackle two Steelheads, instead of go get those 9 completely open eggs to the right side. I was manning the cannon on the far left.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I stopped getting notifications…whyyyy?
I think Profreshionals probably mostly know how to handle most weapons, even if they don't use them in multiplayer. At any rate, they're not as hard to pick up in SR as in other modes.
NO NO NO NONONONONO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I'm sorry that this is quite a while after to respond, but this is just so not true! I will agree that weapons are easier to use in SR, but that doesn't mean that people can still use them! Look at this rotation — e-liter, squeezer, sloshing machine, and n-zap — and tell me people know how to use these weapons. I had e-liter on a glowfly wave and did not miss a shot and we still got wiped! I don't think I am that good at using chargers, but without sounding arrogant I have been by far the best e-liter I have seen on this rotation.

I thought this rotation would be good due to the absolute beast that the e-liter is and the relatively good painting of an n-zap and squeezer, but after many shifts I am currently at 380 with only ~maybe~ 1.5 available hours to get back to 400. None of these weapons are bad, it's just that nobody knows how to use them properly.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's always exceptions, sure. But overall, I think most people in Profreshional have probably played the game quite a bit to be experienced. But even I can get overwhelmed or even screw up in SR. It can get pretty crazy.

Overall, people can definitely use the Zapper or the Squeezer. Those weapons don't require a lot of skill to use in SR.

And you can 'not miss a shot' all you want with the E-liter, ultimately the E-liter simply can't contribute a lot in Glowfly waves. Not only that, but with Glowfly waves, if you lose it's more about people just not dealing with that wave properly than not dealing with weapons properly.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Yeah, I got stuck with the E-liter a few times during a glowfly wave. I just had to hope and pray that either: A: my teammates didn't die on me while I went and collected eggs. Or B: If they all did die, I didn't have a useless special like stingray or bomb rush so I could stay alive AND revive members. You can only do so much with a charger during that wave...which is needless to say...not really a lot.

But it's great the E-liter can one or two shot bosses with a full charge. Though...too many people I was with tried facing enemies head on with it...or not reviving from a safe distance...and costing us the wave. Overall...this isn't really too bad of a rotation, in my opinion. Beats the one we had two rotations ago I think.

But can I ask, are people like...blind to stingers? Like...very few people bother to take them down unless they're one of the first to appear in a wave. But people I seem to get grouped with seem to ignore them a lot in favor of collecting eggs (that are literally right near stingers) or going after other bosses. Granted, any boss Salmon can be a problem if left alone for too long, but too many stingers can leave multiple, or just one, member useless until you either: fail the wave, the wave is over, or they get splatted and the stingers harass someone else.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There's always exceptions, sure. But overall, I think most people in Profreshional have probably played the game quite a bit to be experienced. But even I can get overwhelmed or even screw up in SR. It can get pretty crazy.
It takes a dozen victorious rounds to get to Profreshional. Just 12. That's a bit over an hour of gameplay. Most people don't do it that swiftly of course, but the the barrier to Profreshional is VERY small and so even C players can get there. There is absolutely no guarantee of "experience" and that's why randos are the devil :P

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Got back up to professional. It seems when the wife and I team up and look for 2 other people we have AWEFUL luck with the other 2. But when I que up solo I won every single round up to professional and a few after.

It's not like she is a bad player(though she usually has double the amount of deaths I do) she almost always is within 1-4 golden eggs of what I get.

I think the e-liter is my least favorite sniper due to how slow it is. During round 3 high tide especially I really have a hard time being able to stand in one spot long enough to get a full charge off. I usually just fan the trigger until the chum and smallfries bite the dust, and hope my teammates can take care of the rest while I run away.

The sloshing machine is another one that I've never used up until this last Salmon Run. Pretty decent. Not my favorite by a long shot but it blows the squeezer out of the water. I hate having to shove my head down a salmonids throat to be close enough to kill it with that thing.

All in all I got 1300 points pretty quickly so I'm satisfied with the last Salmon Run.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
But can I ask, are people like...blind to stingers? Like...very few people bother to take them down unless they're one of the first to appear in a wave. But people I seem to get grouped with seem to ignore them a lot in favor of collecting eggs (that are literally right near stingers) or going after other bosses. Granted, any boss Salmon can be a problem if left alone for too long, but too many stingers can leave multiple, or just one, member useless until you either: fail the wave, the wave is over, or they get splatted and the stingers harass someone else.
I usually try my best to take out Stingers, but majority of the time they spawn opposite of where the action is taking place. It can be a struggle sometimes to get to them when you have other salmon in your way; the same goes for Drizzlers.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I usually try my best to take out Stingers, but majority of the time they spawn opposite of where the action is taking place. It can be a struggle sometimes to get to them when you have other salmon in your way; the same goes for Drizzlers.
Which happens a lot as I do find myself running across the map to deal with them a lot of the times. And I'm not faulting the people who do try, or can't race across the map because of all that's going on. But I mean more of the people who go to pick up eggs/deal with another boss Salmon that is near the stinger. Instead of just getting rid of it while they're there, they choose to ignore it instead. I've seen multiple people do this. Am I just really unlucky with that?

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
I almost always run straight to a stingray whenever I see it so that I can take it out even if I could only grab one of the eggs and the other to go back to the water.

My question is how hard is it really to hit the little balls at the drizzlers throw out? I always go for that because that means that I'm not going to get killed by a drizzler after dodging 7 tenta and missiles and a steel eel. I completely get it if you're not in the right line to hit it straight back to the drizzler and kill it. That's fine. Just hit it so that it doesn't go off and rain over everybody's head especially on high tide round 3.

my biggest stumbling block is to get the fly fish. if you get on them immediately you have enough time to throw your first bomb into one side charge up your ink tank enough to get the second bomb into the other side. but if for whatever reason I'm not close enough to get that first one in there I don't know what happens to my brain but it becomes almost impossible for me to lob the bomb in there if I'm moving around or trying to dodge something.

By far the grand majority of my deaths come from the drizzler and the fly fish, with the Stinger coming in at 3rd.

4th is getting smacked by a Chum while you're trying to jump away from it sending you going much farther than you wanted to into the water.

I have however noticed a vast Improvement of my games since I've started prioritizing walls over floors and dead people over close easy to get golden eggs. because it doesn't matter if you get six eggs in a row in just a few seconds turned in if everyone but you is now dead. and squidding up walls has helped immensely with things like grillers and glowflies.

Although I'm still finding that if I don't blow both of my Stingray or inkjet specials during the mothership round we lose every time. come on dude with the sniper we got to work for a living here.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I am once again questioning whether or not I deserve to be in Profreshional rank. Just got done playing since I need to leave for my job IRL soon, but I thought I'd take a crack at Salmon Run since the weapons in the rotation are strong (at least in my hands) and those ability chunks and drink tickets aren't going to earn themselves! I started at Profreshional 300 and felt that there was a good chance that I could rank up or at least break even. Here's how it went down.

I rarely had a match play out in any way that didn't involve failing in the second wave. All in all I lost every match...every match that I played today. Be it through everyone ignoring eggs to continue to slay bosses with less than 30 seconds left to go, choosing not to use the cannons in the Cohock wave on the shore, an extreme lack of knowledge of the weapons available for use, or some combination of the above. I stopped once I hit Pro 210 and just decided to call it a day, feeling like a colossal failure in every way possible.

Is it really too much to think that once you hit Pro rank that you would know that the only way you are going to do well is be collecting Golden Eggs? Y'know, the one big thing we are all looking for in these shifts in the first place?! More often than not, failure came from no one seemingly knowing that they needed to collect these eggs. In fact, playing the objective in general seemed like too much to ask from them. Use the cannons during the Cohock wave to ease the stress on the people running eggs? No way! We'll just run around like psychotic hamsters and everything will work out just fine! Take out the crate carriers to get eggs in the Mothership wave? Why would we do that when we can wait for them to drop off their cargo and then fight all the Chums and Small Fries that come out! Oh, and the Gusher wave should never come up in these circumstances. All of the gushers are so close together and there are so many of them that no clue really gets you anywhere close to the right one. Even slowing down and using the clues given by hitting just one and going from there, I have to continue to hit four or five more just to get clued in on which one the right one is! With ~10 of them so crammed together, there is almost no way to get enough eggs except through sheer dumb luck.

But my biggest complaint is still, and will always be, the excruciatingly frustrating lack of knowledge on the weapons in the rotation. Once again, this is Pro rank we're talking about. Not Go-Getter. Not Intern. Not even Pro 40. I am...er, was Pro 300. At this point, one would think that enough time and patience has elapsed that people would have at the very least some basic idea of how the weapons work. But no. Not even one little hint of a clue. Unless it's an N-Zap, Splattershot or Aerospray, you can count on no one knowing what to do with it. E-Liter, the big daddy of the Charger family. Charge up, let loose a laser of destruction. Takes some aim, but otherwise can decimate what ever it hits! Give it to a common Salmon Run worker, and they will use it to pick their noses. Squeezer, a member of the Nozzlenose family. Fires a single, long ranged shot with a tap that is more powerful than the shots you get by holding your fire. Ideal for taking out bosses at range. Give it to a common Salmon Run worker and they will try to drink it. Sloshing Machine, an odd but effective member of the Slosher family that fires twisting shots that have an AoE and deal great damage with direct hits! Give it to a common Salmon Run worker and they will try to stick their heads into it. I think this about sums things up rather nicely...

It takes a dozen victorious rounds to get to Profreshional. Just 12. That's a bit over an hour of gameplay. Most people don't do it that swiftly of course, but the the barrier to Profreshional is VERY small and so even C players can get there. There is absolutely no guarantee of "experience" and that's why randos are the devil :p
Takeaway message: It is too easy to get to Profreshional in Salmon Run! Having a group of people in a rank that demands precision, proper movement skills, and a good working baseline knowledge of the weapons at hands that can perform none of these pre-requisites for said rank and dragging down the experience. Something needs to be done about this. Maybe erect a barrier to entry, like needing to have used every type of weapon for at least 10,000 to 20,000 points? I don't know, but the way things are now is unacceptable.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Hmm, when I started Salmon Run, it actually took me while to reach Profreshional due to my unluckiness getting decent co-workers. :(

Oh yeah, having 1000% Fresh in single player mode would be ideal requisite (well, probably overkill). Even better, having completed every level in Octo Expansion is another requirement (haha worst idea ever).

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I never realized how difficult people had it in Profresh 300-390. I'm playing on my sniper-only account and working my way up the ranks, and HOOboy. We have teams where two people still die at the start of high tide because they don't look, we have people that Leeeeroy Jeeeenkins their way into a gold egg even though a Steelhead has bombed the area... I've never gone 12 saves and 0 deaths before and STILL failed the waves, but there you go.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Absolutely Absol I am one of those players that did get to 1000% fresh in Octo Valley and enjoyed every moment of it. Sometimes to a lesser extent than with other times (that stupid UFO boss). But I liked learning about the nuances of all the weapons and what they could do to turn the tides all on their own. I appreciated taking what I was given and using it to improve myself further. I actively enjoy educating myself. I don't want to be the team's liability. In the matches when it turns out that I am that person, I strive to better myself because I don't want to be that guy. Sadly, I don't think that this ideal is something that most GrizzCo employees seem to strive for.

For someone like me, Pro 300-390 is an unmitigated disaster. I want to rank up to 400 and beyond because I want to prove to myself that I am good enough to make that goal. But I know I can't do that on my own. I need people that want to reach for the stars as well! It is a team based experience and getting nothing but players that want to treat everything like CoD (pun only partially intended) frustrates and saddens me.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I never realized how difficult people had it in Profresh 300-390. I'm playing on my sniper-only account and working my way up the ranks, and HOOboy. We have teams where two people still die at the start of high tide because they don't look, we have people that Leeeeroy Jeeeenkins their way into a gold egg even though a Steelhead has bombed the area... I've never gone 12 saves and 0 deaths before and STILL failed the waves, but there you go.
There have been soooo many times that I think to myself that I should take a screenshot because I was 9/0 with saves or even 11/0 and we still lost but I don't because I would have dozens of useless images. I couldn't make it back to 400 on this rotation during my second attack because I lost my first shift and could crawl my way back.

On the topic of weapons and Grizzco in general; there needs to be something in place to improve the quality of play at its highest level. I had a shift where on the first wave I had e-liter and we all rushed to find the first boss, as usual. I missed a few shots while dealing with smallfry while the team sucked, but then I managed to single-handedly kill off 4 bosses with only a few shots. It was one of those amazing moments when you really feel like you are doing well. The wave goes on and I notice that we have almost no eggs despite killing almost all of the bosses. Then I realize — we have a hard-core egg-guard. This guy is camped at the very end of the map hitting "this way!" next to 9~10 eggs, all from that initial boss massacre. Somehow we managed to win the first wave, only with a late push to get 3 eggs in the last 10 seconds. We then lose in the next wave. Badly. At the end screen, I didn't take a picture, I see that this guy had ONE egg to go with 0 saves and 4 deaths. This is obviously the exception and not the rule, but I have to know: how did this idiot make it all the way up to here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom