• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Someone please, end my suffering. I for the life of me could not get back to Pro 600 because I kept getting wave after wave of just...people who were just bad. I can't count how many times we'd lose from either: beating the quota but everyone dying before the last seconds were up, one egg away and time runs out, or no one taking out bosses and we get massacred.

I had waves that were just super pleasant. Everyone worked together, we used "This Way" and such efficiently, had each other's back. And it was great. Then...you get those ones where...I dunno man. I can't tell you how many times I revived someone, then left to do something else, only to hear "Help!" a few seconds after I would leave from the same person. Army of Cohoks? Everyone hops in a cannon except for me...and I'm holding a charger and trying to get the 20 quota myself.

And people? With any roller except for carbon, you can roll over like everything. You don't have to keep swinging. I wanna love this mode, I really do. I use it for quick cash, chunks, and for when I wanna take a break from turf war/rank. Please stop making me dread this mode.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Absolutely Absol I hadn't thought about that! It is funny, but I don't know that I want life imitating art all that much.

So I jumped back on Salmon Run last night because I wanted to earn some more ability chunks and because why not really. I liked the weapons on the shift and surely things couldn't go as badly as they did last time, right?

Short answer, no. Not at all. Although I did lose the first couple of rounds and i was starting to regret my decision, things took a change for the positive for once. After those first couple of dismal defeats things turned around. Wave after wave started to come together, even the ones that we probably should have lost like those Goldie Gusher waves that we all love so much. I am back up to Pro 300 and looking to make a push into 400 soon!

I think my point still stands though. Pro rank needs to have some kind of barrier for entry other than roughly one hour of playtime. I am just happy to be back to where I was! Now I need to steel myself for the push into 400.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Depending on how many people play Salmon Run at a specific time; I think a system where the queue tries to search for other people on your profresh level would be good. Then if it fails to find anyone around your rank in 15 seconds, it'll just boot you into searching for ranks below you.

So if you're Profresh 200 and the system can't find anyone around Profresh 200 to pair with you, then the game will start looking for Profresh 100 people to pair with you and so forth.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Depending on how many people play Salmon Run at a specific time; I think a system where the queue tries to search for other people on your profresh level would be good. Then if it fails to find anyone around your rank in 15 seconds, it'll just boot you into searching for ranks below you.

So if you're Profresh 200 and the system can't find anyone around Profresh 200 to pair with you, then the game will start looking for Profresh 100 people to pair with you and so forth.
As per my post on the last page, if I started to get paired with Profresh 300's after a few seconds of waiting, I would drop ranks SO fast it would make my dualies spin. -and not in the "Oh hey, I won!" way.
I'm pretty sure the system already does try to pair you with people of your own profresh level as it is.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
As per my post on the last page, if I started to get paired with Profresh 300's after a few seconds of waiting, I would drop ranks SO fast it would make my dualies spin. -and not in the "Oh hey, I won!" way.
I'm pretty sure the system already does try to pair you with people of your own profresh level as it is.
It does? I know it does for the lower ranks, but for Profresh I thought it just lumped you together regardless of rank.

Ex: Profresh 40 getting put togther with Profresh 400.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
It does? I know it does for the lower ranks, but for Profresh I thought it just lumped you together regardless of rank.

Ex: Profresh 40 getting put togther with Profresh 400.
I can't say I have concrete evidence of this, but with the implementation of these additional ranks my assumption is that they'd be treated as distinct ranks. On top of this, I've played through 100-400 on three accounts and I notice a distinct skill discrepancy between 300-399 and 400+, and I hardly think it's the placebo effect or some equivalent. We're talking only getting through all three waves twice over the span of 1200 reward points in 300, and not failing any at 400+.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Oh ho ho ho! I see you there Octobrush! You think you're gonna lull me into a false sense of security, don't you? Only to shred my ranking hard with your bad Salmon Run shenanigans? Well you've got another thing coming, sir!

I'm glad you said that there isn't any concrete evidence of that because it sounds like something that could be labeled as confirmation bias. I just had a near flawless run going from 200 to 300 just the other day. Surely if there are issues getting from 300 to 400, many of those same issues would arise getting to that lower plateau. It leads me to believe that when you are in the pro ranks, you get groups together with whoever just happens to be playing in a similar rank. Awesome communicator and Salmon Slayer at rank 700? Sure! Scrappy little squid on a sugar high and a lack of discipline at rank 20? Why not! You're all Profreshionals after all!

I beg to differ on that, Mr. Grizz...

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Getting much better at salmon runs in some ways a bit worse in others. I'm trying to be more acrobative(that even a word) jumping and squidding up walls trying to jump next to the huge wall of chums rather than going around the longer way. It has been rare that I've lost one recently.

BUT! Now I'm taking more chances which equates to more dead. Some rounds go amazing, some rounds I die at least 3 times just trying to get around the wall of chums instead of going in there and killing through them.(granted when avoiding it tends to be more of a I got the charger and don't want to waste 15-20secs taking out these little bastages when the roller can do it basically standing there)

But, tit for tat aside I should be one win away from cracking into the professional levels above professional. A lot of my issues raising my professional level seems to be who I choose to play with. And i didnt get that until i just started freelancing it due to the other person not wanting to play.

But I'm looking forward to the next salmon run again. Hopefully I'm not one of "those dudes" when you see me in the upper professionals. Looking forward to not dragging the team down behind me and killing every single stinger and drizzler torpedo.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I definitely agree that it doesn't take a lot of proficiency to get to profreshional. My wife got there, and she has no concept of game strategy or nuance. She can aim and move pretty accurately, and that's it. I recently had to explain to her, after watching her shoot chum while standing 5 feet from the basket with an egg on her back, that the orange eggs don't help, getting the gold eggs to the basket is the only thing that matters (and of course she HATES it when I tell her how to play). I have never once seen her use a special either. So yeah, profreshional may be the highest title, but it really doesn't imply any kind of knowledge or proficiency about the game.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Hmm, speaking of being with co-workers with different Prof ranks... I'm pretty sure that quota wasn't consistent or in(de)creasing for me when I kept/gained/lost points in my rank. Sometimes, it was lower but with different co-workers, it was higher, even I lost points.
I guess it is something with person that had lower/higher points than me hosting a game. Well, I don't think that I encountered Prof 40 player hosting. We do pair up with same ranked co-workers, afterall. I guess...? Am I wrong?

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
It all really depends on the ranks of the people around you. I don't know the facts about this so it could be wrong, but I think what is happening to determine how many eggs you need to get is that the games takes some kind of an average ranking score between the four players present and sets the requirements from there. Which is why sometimes you get a huge number of eggs to deposit in a round and other times it is a lighter requisite. All the more reason why higher ranked pros need to know the weapons before going in!

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The 'Pro' rank has been a real conundrum lately if you ask me. The kid side of me is thinking yeah we are all pros and can do a serviceable job with each weapon assigned but the squid side of me is yelling how in the eff are these people pros let alone in the 200+ side of the pay scale!?!

Could it be that being a 'Pro' you feel like you can lean on your co-workers and slack a little or do something that more than likely will get you splatted thinking 'meh my crew will bail me out?' I think you could of had that attitude a few months ago and get away with it more times than not. Lately? Hells no. With a decent load-out it can be a struggle at times and a tricky load-out if you are not dropping bosses as they spawn its usually a slaughter. I may be way off base with my thoughts but I know one thing for sure Mr. Grizz`s hires lately have been sub par to say the least.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Yeah, I have to agree. Just the more I play, the more I sit here and think "How are these people up in the ranks?". But then I look back and see I made it to pro in like half an hour or so and I go, "Oh yeah. It's not that hard".

Besides the people who take it serious and such, I run into a few grade A people where it's either:

A: They play and mess around far too much. Sure squidbagging and shooting each other and circling is fun before the wave starts, but they do it during and don't pay attention and get splatted.

B: I get people who think they're MLG. Where 3 people are down, and all in range of reviving with a bomb and such. Like literally, we're all right there and they're not surrounded. Instead, they try and go head on either trying to defeat all the bosses or deposit eggs and get splatted. And this is before we're even close to hitting the quota and have like 30 seconds left.

C: Literally, no joke, I've had people trying to hide around or behind me, luring bosses my way (usually my back is turned), and I in turned either get splatted, or splat the boss for them, and they continue to do this the entire wave. Not defeating bosses, but just piggy backing off of the people getting rid of bosses.

Like...I would never be able to play a game knowing I'm a liability to my teammates. It's gotten to the point where if I have two or all my teammates like that, I either don't revive them, or I throw myself into the water to end the run faster. I know I shouldn't be doing that and it's not the best thing to be doing. But I can't stand some of the runs I have and I just want to get them over with faster. I'm no pro player or anything, but trying isn't that hard.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Woohoo!!!! Hit my first time with over 100+ eggs (102) (Profresh +100) (Egg start level at 17 during that round).
Also wow, i still LVP'd that round by having 8 eggs less than the third person, but still, i didn't die every second as i usually do in terribly high rooms like that, but i still think i did contributed something, AND i learned something about high "Profreshional" players, they use All of their ink before retreating or grabbing an egg, and they DO care for teammates as soon as they die, so i finally feel like i have teammates that knows the value of Teamplay!

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Quick question about Salmon Run. What determines when your points go down? I used to think it was if you lose twice in a row, you'd lose your 10 or 20 points. But I went about 6 straight losses and the game kept my points untouched.

iced potato

Senior Squid
Quick question about Salmon Run. What determines when your points go down? I used to think it was if you lose twice in a row, you'd lose your 10 or 20 points. But I went about 6 straight losses and the game kept my points untouched.
It depends on the wave you lose on. It's -20p if you lose the first wave, -10p if you lose the second wave and no points are lost if you lose the final wave.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
It depends on the wave you lose on. It's -20p if you lose the first wave, -10p if you lose the second wave and no points are lost if you lose the final wave.
Thanks for that. Though most of those waves I lost on was either the first or second one. But I just wanted to check. Thanks.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
i learned something about high "Profreshional" players, they use All of their ink before retreating or grabbing an egg, and they DO care for teammates as soon as they die, so i finally feel like i have teammates that knows the value of Teamplay!
Pretty much this. The good Profreshionals (a.k.a. the ones who take this all rather seriously) will do exactly these things. Sometimes, if you wish upon the right star, they may even follow you to an encounter and help you take control of an area before you need to be revived! It's a really strange concept, I know. But stick it out and you may just find one of those magical teammates who really know how to be a for real team player! Kind of like your very own personal fairy godmother....or fairy godfather.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
I always try to keep at least an eighth of a tank of ink. too often I would run out of ink turn around to a drizzler going across the field with a wall of Chums and .cohawks behind me. With zero ink in the tank unusually dead right there.

I am getting better but I still haven't got better than professional 0 to 99. I keep on losing a round and then winning and on and on and on. Perpetually either one or two wins away from ranking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom