• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Pretty much this. The good Profreshionals (a.k.a. the ones who take this all rather seriously) will do exactly these things. Sometimes, if you wish upon the right star, they may even follow you to an encounter and help you take control of an area before you need to be revived! It's a really strange concept, I know. But stick it out and you may just find one of those magical teammates who really know how to be a for real team player! Kind of like your very own personal fairy godmother....or fairy godfather.
Talking about emptying your ink tanks when retreating.
Don’t forget your splat bomb is a thing and it has more use then beating maws/flyfish.
When for example picking an egg from a stash, throw a bomb in the middle of them to splat the probable snatchers and stalling their stealing attempt before retreating.
Especially when using weapons with a low ink consumption, a splat bomb can put a big dent in an upcoming wave of mooks so you or your team have a much easier time steam rolling them.
Last, bombs are a really good way to revive your teammates.
Lack range? throw a bomb
Teammate obstructed by wall or height difference? lob an bomb
Fun thing is if each teamate is splatted but a bomb is still live, the game will await it’s explosion possible reviving teammates just yet.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Teammate obstructed by wall or height difference? lob an bomb
Fun thing is if each teammate is splatted but a bomb is still live, the game will await its explosion possible reviving teammates just yet.
This is an incredibly important thing to remember. Not to sound pretentious, but I've had a disproportionate number of games where less I'm the last alive and I have to use some creative tactics to stall the game to save people. If your teammates are too far away to revive and there's only a few seconds left, this is the perfect opportunity to swing your controller and lob a bomb straight up. It can totally win games.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
These are all things I knew about usage of bombs in Salmon Run, but some of them I have a hard time finding an application for. Such as stalling the match by throwing a bomb straight up. I don't think about these things even though I should. Using them to revive teammates? It's usually my go to revival technique!

Also, I legitimately didn't know that the bomb at the base of the Stinger would damage the rest of the pots. That will come in quite handy to know! :D

D

Deleted Member

It's worth remembering that you can use your specials to revive team mates too! Stingray is great because of it's almost instant recovery and infinite range, inkjet is good because you're higher up so it's harder to hit you, splat bomb rush covers a lot of ground and also of course behaves like a regular splat bomb, and splashdown is okay for revival but I mainly use it for wide suppression and clearing and area!

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
It's worth remembering that you can use your specials to revive team mates too! Stingray is great because of it's almost instant recovery and infinite range, inkjet is good because you're higher up so it's harder to hit you, splat bomb rush covers a lot of ground and also of course behaves like a regular splat bomb, and splashdown is okay for revival but I mainly use it for wide suppression and clearing and area!
One more thing about the Inkjet is that you can jump a little higher while flying and use this to bounce your way on top of the egg basket, effectively safespotting on Griller and Glowfly waves. You can do it on other waves too, just be wary of the Stingers and Flyfish.

Also, because I refuse to let this go, I'm absolutely convinced that Profreshional 400 is treated as a distinct category and doesn't lump in Profreshional 300's; if nothing else, it prefers to pair you with other 400s before lower Profreshional ranks.
The other day I was playing on my alt account, doing whatever I can to get from 300 to 400, and it was a disaster. People not noticing that it was high tide and sliding straight into the "water", two or three people jumping off the top of the ship into the water while shouting "Booyah!" all the way down at the start of the wave, people bouncing around left and right in their life ring while I'm trying to save them with a Goo Tuber (and I already suck with Chargers in PVP), all three other people getting splatted during mothership as it begins to touch down... I'm not kidding when I say we went from 10/19 to 0/19 because I couldn't take on the ship alone, survive, and save them at the same time.

Eventually I determined that the best way of passing through this rank was by going rogue. If a teammate got themselves killed because they overextended waaay too much, I wouldn't save them. That sounds like an awful idea in a team based game, but the general idea was that if I saved them, it would lure a bunch of bosses too far away from the egg basket and making the quota would be too difficult. I'd make them take the walk of shame back up to the basket while I stayed nearby and took out Steel Eels, Scrappers, and Steelheads while taking out the Flyfish that spawn on the left and right (Marooner's Bay). -It totally worked, and after like 1800 points I finally broke free of 300 and got Profresh 400 on the alt account too.

And then today, on our new Dualie/Rapid/Squeezer/? waves, I played right as the shift opened because that's when it's usually easiest, and sure enough it was infinitely easier than the 300-400 grind I had the other day. I played later on in the evening on my main account, after the best-of-the-best finished their shifts, and it was just as easy.

I'm going to rule out anything account-related, such as hidden algorithms that say "This person needs to be on this team, and this alt-account needs to be paired with these players.". I'm also going to rule out the fact that this rotation was easier; the squeezer really doesn't contribute much in the wrong hands and there were plenty of times when the random weapon was something like the Tenta Brella. And I lastly want to rule confirmation bias; I've been through the 300 grind long enough to see a significant discrepancy between the skill levels.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
As well as you don't even have to fire at your teammates with the inkjet. Simpy moving over them is enough inking to revive them as well.

But I have to say I'm pretty okay with this Salmon run. The randomized weapon has been helping more than it's been crippling, so that's good. But I am proud of my previous squad. Had a Salmon is restless wave, which I thought we were gonna fail because...well usually I fail waves like that. But they saw me climb and stall on a wall to make it easier for them, and not get myself killed. Whenever the glowflys changed, they followed suite and wall stalled. I'm a proud squid right now. We even got 100 eggs.

It's always great to spread a few helpful tips with your mates when possible. Well if they pick up on it that is.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Not gonna lie, it does sound like confirmation bias, but I will take my own notes when I get there and see if anything lines up with what you have been saying. There are plenty of factors that make sense about the idea. It would seem to me that by making the metaphorical pilgrimage to the 400 rank, you've been through the worst that the land has to offer and now you can rest easy with others who have been through the travels you have and can ease your pain. At least I hope that's what is going on and it isn't just getting really lucky with the matchmaking.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Lost Outpost load-out today was Aces I think. Decent power and ink coverage. Got the Grizzco Blaster once and dont think I saw one charger between any of us during all shifts. I got one form of dualie 50% of the time with my random weapon rounds.

Todays shifts did not feel like work at all. Its been a while.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, this was really smooth sailing! I think I lost one wave 3 thanks to an idle player, but outside of that it was perfect. 3 out of 3 weapons were able to take out Stingers easily, so that always helps.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
What are the Grizzco weapons?

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I wanted someone to name them...

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
What is everyone's fixation with jumping on the basket that opens during low tide on Marooners bay after a low tide? Yeah, cool, you can jump on it and not drown in the water, but what does that accomplish? I've had 3 different people do that and cost us the last wave because they're just standing there not helping.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
What is everyone's fixation with jumping on the basket that opens during low tide on Marooners bay after a low tide? Yeah, cool, you can jump on it and not drown in the water, but what does that accomplish? I've had 3 different people do that and cost us the last wave because they're just standing there not helping.
I've seen fewer people doing this recently; I guess the trend is dying down. I think it's stupid too - it's like "I know we may be on wave 3 and won't be demoted for losing because of you, but if we win then we all get a raise, and if you help then we get more eggs and more points because of it.".

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Some people are just fascinated with doing things that you shouldn't be able to do, like the basket leap. Some people are so crazed with being able to do something that is considered to be off limits that they will just give it all up to be one of those people who can say that they've been on the outside of the world looking in. Some people love knowing that they can defy the rules and do their own thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom