• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I find that I can get way more done with the Hydra compared to other weapons like, just as an example, the Tenta Brella. The Tenta Brella may have some powerful shots and a huge shield, but that shield doesn't really help against most of the bosses that come your way. Combine that with a slow rate of fire and the limited movement that comes from having a heavy weapon to lug around and you've got a recipe for disaster in the fast paced working environment that Mr. Grizz likes to put us in.

I fully admit that the Hydra Splatling has a similar problem in the fact that it is also a big, heavy thing to lug around. But the difference comes in that the Hydra is much more adaptable thanks to it not needing a full charge to get some shots off. The benefit of waiting to get a full charge is that you get a longer, higher damage volley. Useful for mowing down waves of lousy Salmonid mooks as they approach as well as taking out things like Steel Heads, Steel Eels, and Drizzlers quickly and from a safe distance. But partial charges are good for things like Chums, Cohocks, Smallfries, and really anything that is a little too close for you to wait for a full charge. This keeps your options open and you in a safer, more reactionary position!

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I actually find that the tenta brella is the next best thing to a Dynamo for glowfly rounds, and I'm pretty decent at taking out sneezy steel head boys with it. I also think it chews through cohocks. But what you say is true, and, as with all heavy weapons in SR, you do have either be 9 steps ahead or rely on your teammates for mobility.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I actually don't mind the Tenta Brella too much to be honestly. It isn't great and it isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it fires fast enough to at least get a shot and move on.

Compare this to the Dynamo which takes a century to wind up, that's why I really hate using it. Tenta Brella, I can at least use it pretty effectively to deal with stuff, at least no worse than a Blaster minus a bit of splash.

Hydra, it is a mixed bag, if I'm able to consistently serve on the backline most of the time, it is great, but Flyfish essentially kill anything good about the weapon.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Those weapons are more suited for support; if you have competant teammates then they put in work.
Agree whole heartily.

I don`t get to salty when I get assigned the Tenta. It really shines during the shifts worked at Marooner's Bay imho.

Tonight`s load-out looks like it should be a gravy shift.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
There's a few tricks I've come up with lately. They're nothing game breaking, but they could help save time.

Using falloff damage to kill Steel Eels. This is mostly when you have a shooter. In most situations, it is better to just go behind it, but sometimes the Steel Eel likes to block his weak point. So if you aim above the Steel Eel and let your ink fall on its weak point, then you don't have to go around and kill it. It's especially helpful when you have a Jet Squelcher or SS Pro, and the Steel Eel is on a choke point.

Throwing a bomb at Drizzlers. I never thought about this until recently. I always go on about weapons that can kill Drizzlers in one round. Throwing a bomb at a Drizzler right before it opens up, then unloading on it should help weapons that can't quite make it. I never got a chance to test it, since every time I tried it with Undercover Brella, a teammate just had to help me. I'll try it with Dualie Squelchers on this loadout if I get a chance.

Flingza combo. I love Flingza in SR. The vertical swipe has so many uses. Reviving teammates from a long range. Instantly killing Steelheads. Painting a path. You can also combo it with your roll to quickly kill some enemies. This is especially helpful against Cohocks. A vertical flick + a roll will kill a Cohock.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I actually don't mind the Tenta Brella too much to be honestly. It isn't great and it isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it fires fast enough to at least get a shot and move on.

Compare this to the Dynamo which takes a century to wind up, that's why I really hate using it. Tenta Brella, I can at least use it pretty effectively to deal with stuff, at least no worse than a Blaster minus a bit of splash.

Hydra, it is a mixed bag, if I'm able to consistently serve on the backline most of the time, it is great, but Flyfish essentially kill anything good about the weapon.
Thing with the dynamo is how strong it's roll is.
It can one-shot even cohocks and thus can easely take care of mooks alone while the rest focuses on bosses.
Flicks shouldn't be used for defeating stuff a lot, occasionally to revive teammates or take out that steelhead or other boss in a pinch, but otherwise rolling is the way to go with it and will keep out of trouble.

Also something I noticed about the tenta brella, it's shield has barely any defensive properties but it's launched shield is surprisingly good at mooks.
It mows them down while giving an opening to close in on a group.
Very fun to use in a glow fly round too, it's worth luanching your shield before going in if you got the chance.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Tenta brella's shield is wonderful for glowfly waves. Just launch shield, then one shot goldies. Makes the wave a breeze. Got a little over 50 eggs twice that way when it was in rotation. It's a pretty powerful, albeit slow weapon, but it's pretty easy to manage.
-----

Also to add on. The dualie squelchers can actually take out drizzlers in one go. All you have to do is make sure you roll and time when you start shooting, and you'll get rid of them. Managed to max out to profreshional 999. It was very tedious and time consuming, but at least I got some more cash and chunks out of it. This rotation wasn't all that bad.

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I rather enjoyed the last Salmon Run shift. I didn't get to max rank or anything, but the rounds were rather easy and the weapon loadout worked rather well. Having to say that the Rapid Blaster Pro was the weak weapon of the bunch is rather saying something about the shift in general. Looking forward to the next shift, especially if Splatfest gets on my nerves!

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Was anyone else getting massive crazy lag during salmon run yesterday?

It was so bad I would squid through a bunch of eggs and either make it almost 10 meters or so however that computes to the game but quite a distance away before it actually pick the egg up. Sometimes it wouldn't pick up an egg at all and I'd have to go back two or three times to actually get the egg to pick up.

Ended up taking a break from Salmon Run and doing some Turf War and a little bit of ranked and did not have the same problem.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Squids, a question that has weighed on my mind for some time.

Is Lost Outpost a good map or a bad map, and why do you feel this way?

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020

Hm...that is a toughie. Honestly, I go from hating it, to kind of liking it? Like all the walls is a blessing for more passageways and easy escapes and such. The inner base can be a blessing...but awful as well. But my main gripe with this area is that large grate area. You know...where a ton of flyfish/stingers have the habit of spawning and being awful to deal with. Cuz guess what? You can't swim away, being most of it is grates...nets. So good luck getting beaten to death with frying pans or drowning if you get stuck there.

Also I feel that high tides on this area gives me more trouble on this then say...Spawning Grounds and Salmonoid Smokeyard, personally. Things get condensed so easily. Sure, you have those little areas to sneak out around and stuff, but with all the cohoks and salmons, and steel eels, and missiles...then again, that's a problem on all stages so it's not Lost Outpost exclusive. But just...things get so cooped up and with 3 of the 4 of your entrances/exits being blocked almost exclusively, it's a mess.

I'm leaning more on it's a bad map side, but I'm sure others have more...informative...can't think of the word I'm looking for. Opinions rather.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224

All things considered, out of all the maps currently available, it is probably the one I favor the most.

Out of all the Low Tides, this one is probably the most manageable, all land based enemies only can go through key choke points and for the most part Flyfish tend to be close to the basket.

The walls are a great asset for Grillers, assuming your team takes advantage of it.

Mothership on this map usually isn't too bad, since everything relavively easy to get to you don't have to deal with unnecessary terrain.

Is like the only map where I don't mind mid-tide Goldie Seekie.

Main downside is how annoying dealing with Flyfish on the netted area is and the middle can get overwhelmed, especially if it is a bunch of Steelheads.

In essence, I dislike this map the least. Marooner's Bay is evil mainly cause the shore to the left of the ship (not bad on high-tide). Salmonoid Smokeyard is just pure evil, especially on high-tide. Spawning Grounds is okay, nothing good, but nothing too bad.

Last edited:

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
FYI this month's Grizzco gear are Jika-tabi, Japanese toed work boots. It only makes sense to the Japanese players but it's very fitting with the rest of the Grizzco gear.
I thought maybe it was a clue that inklings have weird, two-toed feet.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I thought maybe it was a clue that inklings have weird, two-toed feet.
Nope! Though you probably figured this one out already by wearing the sandals

Their toes do have a odd block-like quality to them, just like their hands. I'm unsure whenever this is to keep the polygons to a lower count or if it's actual inkling anatomy.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Managed to max out to profreshional 999. It was very tedious and time consuming, but at least I got some more cash and chunks out of it. This rotation wasn't all that bad.
Question: What is the average amount of Job Points you get from winning at that level?

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Question: What is the average amount of Job Points you get from winning at that level?
I don't remember the exact number. I went and checked, and your pay grade is 435%. So if you average around 80 or so eggs per successful wave, you're racking in about 387 points. If around 90, around 430 I think? If I did the math right.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
Nope! Though you probably figured this one out already by wearing the sandals

Their toes do have a odd block-like quality to them, just like their hands. I'm unsure whenever this is to keep the polygons to a lower count or if it's actual inkling anatomy.
True. Sandals. Five toes. They should be more tentacle-ly.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Ya know? Losing by one point always stings. But you wanna know what's worse than just losing by one point because of no eggs around or everyone dies? Either:

A. You lose because someone has an egg, is near the basket, but don't realize they have an egg somehow (literally just had this happen).

Or B: The last batch of eggs/egg is by the basket, you go to pick it up to reach quota, but someone swoops in and takes it, doesn't realize it, and leaves with it.
------
And also, can someone explain to me what just happened. Flyfish spawned, naturally I wait for it to stop and open its missile launchers. The launchers opened...but the flyfish never stopped moving and started firing its missiles. I didn't save it as I was just like...the heck? Pretend like you're on the starting area near the basket, and you're facing towards the shoreline where low tide happens. And the flyfish spawned in the top right, and usually it stops near the platform. But literally as it was firing, it moved all the way down to the bottom right of the map.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom