• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hard data: Gear abilities percentual effects!

Kryzz

Full Squid
NNID
Valdraya
That's interesting, definitely atleast the special duration stuff goes against what results Nintendojo came up with..
Also, ninja squid + Kraken.. slowdown? The icon does light up while in Kraken form so I assume there is slowdown

kinetik07

Senior Squid
That's interesting, definitely atleast the special duration stuff goes against what results Nintendojo came up with..
Also, ninja squid + Kraken.. slowdown? The icon does light up while in Kraken form so I assume there is slowdown
Ninja squid does affect Kraken

Kraken with base swim speed can swim from the far back wall of the testing area to this far up the wall in front.
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/mco/media/IMG_20150630_202718_zpscr41n3gp.jpg.html

With Ninja Squid Kraken ends a bit lower on the wall.
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/mco/media/IMG_20150630_202900_zps39uuzmq9.jpg.html

EDIT: this was before patch, the difference should be more significant now

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Amazing work man. I have what is probably a really dumb question but I can't figure it out in the testing area.

I've been running the custom jet squelcher with 1 damage up main and 1 damage up sub to make burst bomb + single shot 100.3 damage. I ended up getting a second damage up sub and at first thought this would be good as I could counter stray defense up subs. However, because of diminishing returns, would 1 defense up sub put my damage below 100 despite an additional damage up sub on my already 100.3 damage output? It's a shame if so as I would have a sub slot that's only useful for chargers and burst damage, but I don't want to reroll as the other two subs are great.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Me again this time with questions about Special Charge Up.

Either the numbers aren't correct or I'm doing some serious math wrong or there are diminishing returns.
I get 143 as the amount of points needed to build a special.
https://dl.bucket.pw/oeubts.webm

Last edited:

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Me again this time with questions about Special Charge Up.

Either the numbers aren't correct or I'm doing some serious math wrong or there are diminishing returns.
I get 143 as the amount of points needed to build a special.
https://dl.bucket.pw/oeubts.webm
Main ability + same secondary ability = Secondary's effect gets reduced quite a bit, I believe.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Main ability + same secondary ability = Secondary's effect gets reduced quite a bit, I believe.
Which goes against what the data in the OP says. I'd argue the entire OP might not be correct because someone else tested Special Saver with 2 Primary and 7 Subs and still isn't 100%. With that in mind you'd need not only 3 Primary but also 9 Subs to hit the cap on Special Saver. Hitting cap like this probably also applies to Special Charge Up and other abilities.

Njok

Bouncer
Hitting cap like this probably also applies to Special Charge Up and other abilities.
Ehmm, this assumption is based on what exactly?

OP has been doing these tests for us, the other players who wanna know sh*t but don't wanna spend time testing it. If he's made mistakes i'm sure he is bummed about it as well. But at least he took the time to test it.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Special Charge Up comes from my own gear and testing like I showed in the webm and gear above. I'm still rolling for more special charge ups to get more info on how much an extra sub will take off. With 3 Main Primary adding 3 Subs only decreased the gauge by 3 points from 146 to 143; however, 3 subs are apparently equal to one main which should have dropped the gauge much more than that. This is the easiest to test since there are actual numbers being shown on screen.

Damage Up will probably be my next test since we can easily see how much of an increase is given in the testing range. Luna Blaster does 125 direct hit with no damage ups. With 3 Primary and 2 Subs I do 156.4 damage. Damage Up Caps at an increase of 30% so at most I should do is 162.5. If I get one more sub and hit that then Damage Up is most likely correct.

I'm not trying to **** on OPs work. I just don't want people spreading "X Primary and X Sub will get you cap" and they spend hours rolling for it to be disappointed.

Njok

Bouncer
Special Charge Up comes from my own gear and testing like I showed in the webm and gear above. I'm still rolling for more special charge ups to get more info on how much an extra sub will take off. With 3 Main Primary adding 3 Subs only decreased the gauge by 3 points from 146 to 143; however, 3 subs are apparently equal to one main which should have dropped the gauge much more than that. This is the easiest to test since there are actual numbers being shown on screen.

Damage Up will probably be my next test since we can easily see how much of an increase is given in the testing range. Luna Blaster does 125 direct hit with no damage ups. With 3 Primary and 2 Subs I do 156.4 damage. Damage Up Caps at an increase of 30% so at most I should do is 162.5. If I get one more sub and hit that then Damage Up is most likely correct.

I'm not trying to **** on OPs work. I just don't want people spreading "X Primary and X Sub will get you cap" and they spend hours rolling for it to be disappointed.
Ok, clear answer. Sorry if i came off as harsh, it just kinda felt like you were completely dismissing OP because of a mistake. It's a good thing if there are mistakes to work together to fix it.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Okay that was easy enough to get one more damage up sub.

So yeah 3 Main and 3 Sub is not cap.

The other abilities would require timers and what not since there are no numbers.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Even 3 Main and 5 Subs doesn't hit the 30% damage cap. And yes, this is separate from the hard capped "hits to splat" thing

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
What are the skills that aren't really worth it?

I've got shoes with 1 Special charge increaser main, and 2 special charge increaser subs. But are special charge increaing skills not that useful really? I'm starting to feel so.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
What are the skills that aren't really worth it?

I've got shoes with 1 Special charge increaser main, and 2 special charge increaser subs. But are special charge increaing skills not that useful really? I'm starting to feel so.
Special charge has its uses, but on shoes in particular I don't recommend it because ink resistance is just so good as a main ability. You'll get much more use out of that than special charge. As a sub slot it's okay but I prefer ink efficiency stuff.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Special charge has its uses, but on shoes in particular I don't recommend it because ink resistance is just so good as a main ability. You'll get much more use out of that than special charge. As a sub slot it's okay but I prefer ink efficiency stuff.
Yeah I found out how effective it is. Wow! I get stuck all the time because I'm a crazy player.

Flips

Inkling
I want to mention that Yhdiste (Threadopener) is absent since a long time now.
This thread still is fantastic. Some people do own research and contribute valuable information, which is very nice.

But I think if the original post doesnt receive updates it gets difficult to bring the whole closer to the correct data. I mean its hard to compare if all is so spread.
Really, someone should take this over in a new thread to keep discussion and efforts alive.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
I want to mention that Yhdiste (Threadopener) is absent since a long time now.
This thread still is fantastic. Some people do own research and contribute valuable information, which is very nice.

But I think if the original post doesnt receive updates it gets difficult to bring the whole closer to the correct data. I mean its hard to compare if all is so spread.
Really, someone should take this over in a new thread to keep discussion and efforts alive.
I've been referring to this thread even before @Yhdiste started his own here.

It's where I and a few others have been dumping our own testing, which @Soul Train double checks before adding to the spreadsheet, and we both cross reference Nintendome's Squid Science series of videos.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the range of a weapon if I stack damage ups on it? I heard that damage ups not only increase the amount of damage you can dish out, but it also increases the effective range of a weapon; is this true?

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the range of a weapon if I stack damage ups on it? I heard that damage ups not only increase the amount of damage you can dish out, but it also increases the effective range of a weapon; is this true?
Damage Up increases all sources of damage from any range. And while your max has a cap, nothing else does. So if you stack enough to make your Splattershot Pro kill in two hits (42->50), you will be capped at 49.9. However, your minimum damage will kill in 4 hits (21->25) without the bothersome cap. Also at the range where you would normally deal 28.1 damage (4HKO), you'll do 33.4 (3HKO), so in that sense you could say your effective range has increased. Your actual ink blobs will not travel any further, however.

Damage Up also works as a "Charge Speed Up" perk, since it allows Charger weapons to kill with a lower level of charge. It won't go quite as far since range is also based on charge level, but it's still incredibly helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom