• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Help get a Spectator Mode and LAN Support added to Splatoon!

Rosencats

Inkling
NNID
waluigiisgood
Seriously, I would LOVE spectator mode. And while we're at it, can you change up Battle Dojo so that it isn't just the awful balloon popping mode?

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
nintendo uploading a video where the word "esports" is used in regards to splatoon gives some interesting vibes
Yeah, I saw that when watching evo and was absolutely floored. Just the fact that they put that ad out means so much for the future of this game.

Fun fact, the guy they were quoting is @TheRapture, Squidboards Admin

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
Signed, this seems to be necessary to make the competitive scene recognizable and widely seen, so I hope Nintendo helps us with that.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
nintendo uploading a video where the word "esports" is used in regards to splatoon gives some interesting vibes
Yo how come people aren't more hype that they not only used that specific quotation, but that is was from the admin of squidboards. This means it's not just trinen watching what we're doing around here. That's good news :D

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef

Private lobbies apparently only have 8 slots, maybe you can enable / disable spectators in the "Set Teams" menu :/
I doubt they are going to put a spectator mode, but honestly once people start playing in tournaments and realize how important spectator mode is the demand of it will be insane. So hopefully people realize this soon :)
edit: but that is such an awesome picture. Kreygasm lol

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I've been dying for a spectator mode as well. I don't know how likely it would be for this game due to the console's capabilities and all, but we can definitely try. I would also add a Console Wide Chat System to this list, which I've been craving for a while. Even if they don't allow public chat, which I have to respect because of parental concerns and all, I still think that chats with people you have befriended online or IRL is totally logical.

PolygonGeorge

Inkster Jr.
Nothing was said about a LAN mode unless I'm missing something.
Read it on here so credit to thefro.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/kFHtLiG2XnyX_TCjRUk5u5WMbILrzLZC

From the article:

• Private Battle: Two to eight friends can battle together in customizable matches. Private Battle also allows players to hold small-scale custom tournaments using up to 8 Wii U consoles and games on a single Internet connection.
I know its not technically a LAN mode but with the Wii U not having the Ethernet slot its basically the best thing we could have hoped for I guess.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
it's WLAN (pretty sure that's the proper term).
Well the good thing is that we can at least hold locals now :D which means more communities can start arising and getting better.
I was talking to someone about using it for a big national tournament because I originally believed that WLAN wouldn't be appropriate for the event, but he was saying that it is still experimental? So it could perhaps work, we would need many many routers tho lol.

But with locals now being possible everyone will hopefully realize how much spectator mode is necessary to help stream tournaments. Hopefully everything keeps looking towards the Community's favor :)

superman

Senior Squid
Only use WLAN for a tournament if you ban:
  • Microwaves
  • Light Bulbs
  • 'Cell Phones
  • Computers
  • Radios
  • A lot of other stuff I forgot to mention
If anyone tells you WLAN is good enough don't trust them with any electronics, EVER!
Also it doesn't matter which medium you use (e.g. radio, copper, fiber) as long as you are in the same network

Just get ethernet adapters (they're like 15€ over here), a dumb ethernet switch with at least 9 ports (dumb as in only electronic switching without logic to it) and a router that's not complete **** and you're good to go. If you want to save money you can go for 100 Mbit/s or "fast ethernet" components because the ethernet adapters are only 100 Mbit/s.

A setup like this would be somewhere around 185€ including ethernet adapters. I think that's a fair price to run locals.

If you wanna go all out you could get 8 raspberry pis with a usb soundcard that have a line in and set up a mumble server to allow voice chat with mixed game and voice audio.

If anyone needs advice on how to setup networking for locals feel free to contact me.

Last edited:

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Another good thing about the update that could help the spread of locals: we're not restricted to 4v4 for matches. Even teams of 2-3 could also get the competitive blood pumping if numbers are low.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Only a crazy person would be against this! I'm not that socially connected as my name implies so I probably can't make a big difference, but I've yeah'd all your miiverse post and will write my own soon!

EDIT: Also signed the petition and will see about using that image in my signature on this site and others!

EDIT2: And finally I made a miiverse post! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkXcKGWOg

Last edited:

WydrA

Inkling Commander
What is LAN?
LAN stands for local area network. It basically allows several systems to be able to connect to each other "directly" instead of having to connect all the way to a lobby and then connect back to each other.
That's a very simplified version but hopefully you get the idea.
This would be useful for splatoon because it would allow people to vs. without needing internet and it would also significantly reduce ping times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom