1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Help get a Spectator Mode and LAN Support added to Splatoon!

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Aweshucks, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Rosencats

Rosencats Inkling

NNID:
    waluigiisgood
    Seriously, I would LOVE spectator mode. And while we're at it, can you change up Battle Dojo so that it isn't just the awful balloon popping mode?

2. Aweshucks

Aweshucks Kinda a loser
    Event Organizer

NNID:
    Aweshucks
    Yeah, I saw that when watching evo and was absolutely floored. Just the fact that they put that ad out means so much for the future of this game.

Fun fact, the guy they were quoting is @TheRapture, Squidboards Admin

WydrA likes this.
  3. SuperMii3D

SuperMii3D Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    PizzaDeliveryKid
    Signed, this seems to be necessary to make the competitive scene recognizable and widely seen, so I hope Nintendo helps us with that.

Flying_Tortoise likes this.
  4. WydrA

WydrA Inkling Commander

NNID:
    xWydrAx
    Yo how come people aren't more hype that they not only used that specific quotation, but that is was from the admin of squidboards. This means it's not just trinen watching what we're doing around here. That's good news :D

Flying_Tortoise and Pivi like this.
  5. superman

superman Senior Squid

[​IMG]

Private lobbies apparently only have 8 slots, maybe you can enable / disable spectators in the "Set Teams" menu :/

6. Flying_Tortoise

Flying_Tortoise Sushi Chef

I doubt they are going to put a spectator mode, but honestly once people start playing in tournaments and realize how important spectator mode is the demand of it will be insane. So hopefully people realize this soon :)
    edit: but that is such an awesome picture. Kreygasm lol

[EJ]_Locke and WydrA like this.
  7. BeanYak

BeanYak Full Squid

NNID:
    Catman789
    I've been dying for a spectator mode as well. I don't know how likely it would be for this game due to the console's capabilities and all, but we can definitely try. I would also add a Console Wide Chat System to this list, which I've been craving for a while. Even if they don't allow public chat, which I have to respect because of parental concerns and all, I still think that chats with people you have befriended online or IRL is totally logical.

suavevillain likes this.
  8. PolygonGeorge

PolygonGeorge Inkster Jr.

At least now we know the LAN mode is officially coming on the 6th so all we need to worry about is spectator mode. Come on Nintendo! I have faith.

Protom, BeanYak and Flying_Tortoise like this.
  9. Poxnixles

Poxnixles Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Vitiel
    Nothing was said about a LAN mode unless I'm missing something.

10. PolygonGeorge

PolygonGeorge Inkster Jr.

Read it on here so credit to thefro.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/kFHtLiG2XnyX_TCjRUk5u5WMbILrzLZC

From the article:

• Private Battle: Two to eight friends can battle together in customizable matches. Private Battle also allows players to hold small-scale custom tournaments using up to 8 Wii U consoles and games on a single Internet connection.
    I know its not technically a LAN mode but with the Wii U not having the Ethernet slot its basically the best thing we could have hoped for I guess.

11. Flying_Tortoise

Flying_Tortoise Sushi Chef

it's WLAN (pretty sure that's the proper term).
    Well the good thing is that we can at least hold locals now :D which means more communities can start arising and getting better.
    I was talking to someone about using it for a big national tournament because I originally believed that WLAN wouldn't be appropriate for the event, but he was saying that it is still experimental? So it could perhaps work, we would need many many routers tho lol.

But with locals now being possible everyone will hopefully realize how much spectator mode is necessary to help stream tournaments. Hopefully everything keeps looking towards the Community's favor :)

12. superman

superman Senior Squid

Only use WLAN for a tournament if you ban:
    • Microwaves
    • Light Bulbs
    • 'Cell Phones
    • Computers
    • Radios
    • A lot of other stuff I forgot to mention
    If anyone tells you WLAN is good enough don't trust them with any electronics, EVER!
    Also it doesn't matter which medium you use (e.g. radio, copper, fiber) as long as you are in the same network

Just get ethernet adapters (they're like 15€ over here), a dumb ethernet switch with at least 9 ports (dumb as in only electronic switching without logic to it) and a router that's not complete **** and you're good to go. If you want to save money you can go for 100 Mbit/s or "fast ethernet" components because the ethernet adapters are only 100 Mbit/s.

A setup like this would be somewhere around 185€ including ethernet adapters. I think that's a fair price to run locals.

If you wanna go all out you could get 8 raspberry pis with a usb soundcard that have a line in and set up a mumble server to allow voice chat with mixed game and voice audio.

If anyone needs advice on how to setup networking for locals feel free to contact me.

#72 superman, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  13. Poxnixles

Poxnixles Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Vitiel
    Another good thing about the update that could help the spread of locals: we're not restricted to 4v4 for matches. Even teams of 2-3 could also get the competitive blood pumping if numbers are low.

BeanYak likes this.
  14. jason1637

jason1637 Senior Squid

NNID:
    jason1637
    I signed it. I hope it will help get these features.

WydrA likes this.
  15. Cobbs

Cobbs Senior Squid

NNID:
    CCobbs
    This is important to me as a commentator. I'd love to produce Splatoon commentary videos on my channel, but unlike Smash 4 this doesn't have a spectating feature or replay feature.

BlurB, WydrA, Aweshucks and 1 other person like this.
  16. BaraBeast

BaraBeast Inkling

NNID:
    BaraBeast
    I signed all the things and liked all the pages. Even sent a tweet to the official nintendo account asking them to add these features. I love this game more than any game I've played in years and I'd love to play competitively and see it get big.

17. Lonely_Dolphin

Lonely_Dolphin Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Einsam_Delphin
    Only a crazy person would be against this! I'm not that socially connected as my name implies so I probably can't make a big difference, but I've yeah'd all your miiverse post and will write my own soon!

EDIT: Also signed the petition and will see about using that image in my signature on this site and others!

EDIT2: And finally I made a miiverse post! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkXcKGWOg

#77 Lonely_Dolphin, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    [EJ]_Locke likes this.
  18. Avatar K

What is LAN?

19. WydrA

WydrA Inkling Commander

NNID:
    xWydrAx
    LAN stands for local area network. It basically allows several systems to be able to connect to each other "directly" instead of having to connect all the way to a lobby and then connect back to each other.
    That's a very simplified version but hopefully you get the idea.
    This would be useful for splatoon because it would allow people to vs. without needing internet and it would also significantly reduce ping times.

Aweshucks likes this.
  20. MintChipper

MintChipper Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    TonyEH
    After watching many Ink or Sink matches, this game needs a spectator mode, it sucks that you can't get any other player's perspectives, and different views of the maps would be cool too, a top-down view would be so cool, as you can fully see how the team defends, offends, and many other things.