• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Help get a Spectator Mode and LAN Support added to Splatoon!

Purplesarus

Inkling
NNID
triminun
hhhmmmm does the wii u even have LAN support inside in general

mean the would be a really good idea but i dont even know if the wii u has something like LAN

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Eh, it would be better than what we have right now, which is nothing. I'll take what I can get

caLviN-1260

Inkling
NNID
caLviN-1260
It's a nice idea but Nintendo has no reason to implement these features when the competitive community is so small. There needs to be a lot of growth before Nintendo has a reason to add these. Almost every major competitive title has these features, but those games also have enormous competitive fan bases, and that's why they eventually got implemented. Splatoon simply doesn't have the numbers yet.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
It's a nice idea but Nintendo has no reason to implement these features when the competitive community is so small. There needs to be a lot of growth before Nintendo has a reason to add these. Almost every major competitive title has these features, but those games also have enormous competitive fan bases, and that's why they eventually got implemented. Splatoon simply doesn't have the numbers yet.
I completely agree. It doesn't help that not everyone is shouting for it. But should all go according to plan, we do believe this will happen once tournaments get off the ground, bringing in more of a viewer base, then once our numbers grow and we all realize how important these 2 are to further grow our community, we will all be shouting for it.
We are a brand new community, a lot of us are new to shooters, and so it will take some time to realize that eventually it needs to be done.
So again, I agree but I'm hopeful.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Well it's a catch 22.
Technically, we do have the numbers. Splatoon has great attach rate, probably coming in at somewhere close to 1.5 million in sales. If all those people wee to cry out for spectator, Nintendo would fund it if it is at all possible.
The problem is there isn't a high enough percentage of that 1.5 million that are interested in seeing Splatoon grow into an e-sport, and so the cry for spectator isn't really loud enough yet. but in order to get the bystanders to want spectator, they need to be able to get invested in competitive Splatoon. in order to get them invested in Splatoon we need spectator mode, so we can more easily present the interesting gameplay, start casting, streaming tournies, etc. But in order to get spectator we need more people to cry out for it...

You see what I'm getting at.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Well it's a catch 22.
Technically, we do have the numbers. Splatoon has great attach rate, probably coming in at somewhere close to 1.5 million in sales. If all those people wee to cry out for spectator, Nintendo would fund it if it is at all possible.
The problem is there isn't a high enough percentage of that 1.5 million that are interested in seeing Splatoon grow into an e-sport, and so the cry for spectator isn't really loud enough yet. but in order to get the bystanders to want spectator, they need to be able to get invested in competitive Splatoon. in order to get them invested in Splatoon we need spectator mode, so we can more easily present the interesting gameplay, start casting, streaming tournies, etc. But in order to get spectator we need more people to cry out for it...

yes, however now that Im seeing tournaments start to be willing to commentate on matches through the hard way, we at least have that to show people how awesome competitive splatoon will be. I greatly hope the TO's of all tournaments use their positions to guide the community to the end goal of a REAL Spectator mode and REAL LAN (not wlan).

caLviN-1260

Inkling
NNID
caLviN-1260
Well it's a catch 22.

Fair enough, very understandable, but you're gonna have to grind it out without Specator mode etc. Every other competitive title had to do it that way too, nothing starts out as a giant esport (or at least not usually, some games are made with that intention from the beginning, but that's only in very recent years). League, Call of Duty, CS:GO, Starcraft and especially Smash all started without company support when it came to the competitive side of things, but the community built itself up over time. Splatoon can totally do it, you're just gonna have to do it without a Spectator mode most likely.

I could be completely wrong, and maybe Nintendo will add these features you're requesting, I just feel like it's unlikely. Through hard work and effort, like the stuff I'm seeing EndGameTV and other well designed/run tournaments do, you'll be able to gather enough attention where Nintendo sees it as beneficial to add those type of features to Splatoon. ^^

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Fair enough, very understandable, but you're gonna have to grind it out without Specator mode etc. Every other competitive title had to do it that way too, nothing starts out as a giant esport (or at least not usually, some games are made with that intention from the beginning, but that's only in very recent years). League, Call of Duty, CS:GO, Starcraft and especially Smash all started without company support when it came to the competitive side of things, but the community built itself up over time. Splatoon can totally do it, you're just gonna have to do it without a Spectator mode most likely.

I could be completely wrong, and maybe Nintendo will add these features you're requesting, I just feel like it's unlikely. Through hard work and effort, like the stuff I'm seeing EndGameTV and other well designed/run tournaments do, you'll be able to gather enough attention where Nintendo sees it as beneficial to add those type of features to Splatoon. ^^
really liked this post. Also I actually didn't know CS:GO and StarCraft didn't have company support in the beginning. Makes me more pumped that there have been other examples of the community pushing for it

caLviN-1260

Inkling
NNID
caLviN-1260
really liked this post. Also I actually didn't know CS:GO and StarCraft didn't have company support in the beginning. Makes me more pumped that there have been other examples of the community pushing for it
Sorry I have to make a correction, CS:GO did have competitive support from the beginning but only because of the original Counter-Strike's success. Valve immediately implemented competitive features because they already had an enormous competitive community from CS 1.6 moving over to CS:GO. I should have just said Counter-Strike by itself. Anyway yah, when these games came out, it was their communities that built the competitive scene. Blizzard/Valve didn't do anything in the very early stages as far as I know, but both eventually grew enough that Valve and Blizzard both support the competitive scenes in some way or another.

WydrA

Inkling Commander

Oh yeah for sure. Not making excuses, Just clarifying the situation :)

I do think Nintendo will get around to it as long as Splatoon continues down this path. They've made it very clear they want the game to go the E-sports route, so as long as the demand is there, it seems they'll be very willing to help out.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
Oh yeah for sure. Not making excuses, Just clarifying the situation :)

I do think Nintendo will get around to it as long as Splatoon continues down this path. They've made it very clear they want the game to go the E-sports route, so as long as the demand is there, it seems they'll be very willing to help out.
Agreed. This isn't even a claim, it's fact. Remember when Nintendo played ads for Splatoon prefaced with "Splatoon is made for eSports" from Rapture?

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Has anybody talked to Trinen about LAN and Spectator Mode? I would be interested to hear his opinion on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom