• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Interestingly, with both of my accounts (which as you may remember are both start-overs after deleting my first account) I was intelligently matched in regular battles. By level 6 or 7 I was always being matched with level 35 and higher, often all level 50 lobbies. I was confused when I read those notes when they were released because it felt like it was already matching well!

I'm quite certain it doesn't apply to ranked battles however.

Speaking of losing streaks, mine continued when I played later tonight, as low as A+ 24! Evidence it's not random? The first time in all my games that I was on the higher ranked team the S on my team went 0/8...against A's and A+'s. Just one of numerous small examples that losing streaks are not accidental. Hopefully I'll get back up to S soon. This was supposed to be my fun account, still not so fun.
I dunno man, There was a point during my last losing streak (my major rant one) where I (still S rank) found myself playing against entire teams of A rankers. They might not have explicitly stated that ranked mode was changed to be like this, but I think it might've already been like this, before the change to Turf Wars and Splatfest. Not that they're trying to hide it or anything, more like that's just how it's been. With no update to it, there would be no reason to mention it.

In other news;
IMG_2268 [687386].JPG

I am now the worst of the best.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
How does one deal with losing streaks... that consist entirely of disconnects?

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I dunno man, There was a point during my last losing streak (my major rant one) where I (still S rank) found myself playing against entire teams of A rankers. They might not have explicitly stated that ranked mode was changed to be like this, but I think it might've already been like this, before the change to Turf Wars and Splatfest. Not that they're trying to hide it or anything, more like that's just how it's been. With no update to it, there would be no reason to mention it.

In other news;
View attachment 2494

I am now the worst of the best.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~
Awesome! :)

In other news, I went the other direction. Three days straight of mostly being matched on the weaker team. Unbelievable. Got down as low as A 16. My son (who is a high S and quite good) was sitting next to me and in disbelief I asked him, 'Is it me?' (Sometimes I don't always notice if I'm playing badly.). He says, 'No, you're playing well, it's your teams'. He'd otherwise love the opportunity to tell me if I'm playing badly.

I played for hours to get myself back up. My last games once I got back up to the top end of A were a stupid joke—weaker team, stronger team, weaker team, stronger team, etc., over and over and over. Random...no way!

I'm done for a week. Time to escape the cruelty the Splatoon developers inflict on us.

By the way, I've been mixed up in crazy arrangements for months in ranked. I'm not seeing any difference.

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Awesome! :)

In other news, I went the other direction. Three days straight of mostly being matched on the weaker team. Unbelievable. Got down as low as A 16. My son (who is a high S and quite good) was sitting next to me and in disbelief I asked him, 'Is it me?' (Sometimes I don't always notice if I'm playing badly.). He says, 'No, you're playing well, it's your teams'. He'd otherwise love the opportunity to tell me if I'm playing badly.

I played for hours to get myself back up. My last games once I got back up to the top end of A were a stupid joke—weaker team, stronger team, weaker team, stronger team, etc., over and over and over. Random...no way!

I'm done for a week. Time to escape the cruelty the Splatoon developers inflict on us.

By the way, I've been mixed up in crazy arrangements for months in ranked. I'm not seeing any difference.
It seems like when one of us advances, the other plummets.

HellfireX14V

Inkling
NNID
GregArashi
Personally, I either take a break from Splatoon or at least the rank battle and play something else. Another thing I would do is choose the weapon that best suit with the stage and type of match, lastly, I can play the map by myself by pressing Y for recon play, get the feel of the stage and look for weak points in that stage.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
From what I've been reading, Ranked algorithms are broken as Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom combined. Go home splatoon programmers, your drunk. And probably high. At the same time.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
From what I've been reading, Ranked algorithms are broken as Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom combined. Go home splatoon programmers, your drunk. And probably high. At the same time.
I think that it's just a case of good intentions gone wrong. If players are paired based on performance, the majority of matches will work fairly well. This works adversely as well, meaning (I think) players on a losing streak get paired up. I could be wrong, but this is how I feel about it.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I think that it's just a case of good intentions gone wrong. If players are paired based on performance, the majority of matches will work fairly well. This works adversely as well, meaning (I think) players on a losing streak get paired up. I could be wrong, but this is how I feel about it.
Like you I don't think it's broken, though my guess is that the Splatoon developers are fully aware of what's going on and overall it's what they want (with acceptable deviations due to not being able control or predict everything).

Contrary to your experience, usually when I'm on a losing streak I'm typically on the bottom of the list after the game (i.e. I've lost more games in the past 10 games than my teammates have) and when I'm on a winning streak I'm usually on the top. That might suggest they balance players who are on losing/winning streaks.

Though that kind of throws a bit of a wrench in my ideas that losing streaks are influenced by Splatoon's matching, but I've seen losing streaks too often and too extreme and under too outrageous of circumstances to dismiss them as an anomaly. The same undoubtedly can go for winning streaks as well, and I personally don't like it when my team easily dominates the opposing team since it doesn't feel like a deserved win.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Like you I don't think it's broken, though my guess is that the Splatoon developers are fully aware of what's going on and overall it's what they want (with acceptable deviations due to not being able control or predict everything).

Contrary to your experience, usually when I'm on a losing streak I'm typically on the bottom of the list after the game (i.e. I've lost more games in the past 10 games than my teammates have) and when I'm on a winning streak I'm usually on the top. That might suggest they balance players who are on losing/winning streaks.

Though that kind of throws a bit of a wrench in my ideas that losing streaks are influenced by Splatoon's matching, but I've seen losing streaks too often and too extreme and under too outrageous of circumstances to dismiss them as an anomaly. The same undoubtedly can go for winning streaks as well, and I personally don't like it when my team easily dominates the opposing team since it doesn't feel like a deserved win.
I'm usually in about the middle on wins/losses no matter how well I'm doing,winning or losing streak. Even if it is how you suggested, I don't know why they felt that it trumps purely random matchups. I think they should make players within their own rank get matched up completely randomly, to equalize everything out. 'Cause on certain maps (like the Luna Blaster at Moray Towers) some weapons just don't do well. And if they pair players based on performance, that's why one might see a team with two E-Liters or Lunas or .52/.96 Gals, since they are bound to perform the same. It's not really a fair matchup when two of the same weapon are on one team, when they could've easily been split into the other team. It'd be understandable if it were completely random, but this is due to Splatoon's algorithms matching certain players together, whatever they actually are. And since weapons like the .52/.96 Gal and the E-Liter are very versatile and effective at every map (God did I hate admitting that), fighting more than one with a team without them makes for a bad time. I'm not ranting about what weapon is overpowered or not, just that I seem to always play against E-Liters, .52/.96 Gals, Carbon/ Krak-On Rollers, and Splattershot Jr.s in multiples of two. That's why I think that they match players based on performance. Oh, and I often find myself paired with another Luna, or other Blaster variant (but not the Rapid Blaster, oddly).

I don't think that the rank system is awful; I mean, even when I lose I still get up to 15+ kills (so I still feel good about my own performance). I just feel that if I had to pick if it was good as is or needs improvement, I'd pick the latter. Maybe if they factored in to their system how weapons are arranged, and not just players, It might work a little better. That sounds like a lot of recalibrating and modifying the current system, so I understand if they couldn't do that. I just think that it'd make matchups a little more fair.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I
I'm usually in about the middle on wins/losses no matter how well I'm doing,winning or losing streak. Even if it is how you suggested, I don't know why they felt that it trumps purely random matchups. I think they should make players within their own rank get matched up completely randomly, to equalize everything out. 'Cause on certain maps (like the Luna Blaster at Moray Towers) some weapons just don't do well. And if they pair players based on performance, that's why one might see a team with two E-Liters or Lunas or .52/.96 Gals, since they are bound to perform the same. It's not really a fair matchup when two of the same weapon are on one team, when they could've easily been split into the other team. It'd be understandable if it were completely random, but this is due to Splatoon's algorithms matching certain players together, whatever they actually are. And since weapons like the .52/.96 Gal and the E-Liter are very versatile and effective at every map (God did I hate admitting that), fighting more than one with a team without them makes for a bad time. I'm not ranting about what weapon is overpowered or not, just that I seem to always play against E-Liters, .52/.96 Gals, Carbon/ Krak-On Rollers, and Splattershot Jr.s in multiples of two. That's why I think that they match players based on performance. Oh, and I often find myself paired with another Luna, or other Blaster variant (but not the Rapid Blaster, oddly).

I don't think that the rank system is awful; I mean, even when I lose I still get up to 15+ kills (so I still feel good about my own performance). I just feel that if I had to pick if it was good as is or needs improvement, I'd pick the latter. Maybe if they factored in to their system how weapons are arranged, and not just players, It might work a little better. That sounds like a lot of recalibrating and modifying the current system, so I understand if they couldn't do that. I just think that it'd make matchups a little more fair.
Interesting idea. I had been thinking weapon matchups were part of the equation, but maybe not. Sometimes it can be silly. Like having 3 snipers on Tower Control and none of them are willing to get on the tower :) I was thinking that maybe they do insane weapon matchups to give you the opportunity to try and be inventive. But maybe it's just a side effect.

I've actually been using the Luna Blaster in every situation on my second account. I'm wanting to try and come up with ways to get around its weaknesses in certain situations (like you said with Moray Towers) and still be useful. Varying success so far but I usually do well so I'm keeping at it.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I was gonna complain about a losing streak or something, but I remembered that I've been cooped up with my ridiculous family in a hotel room for the past two weeks.

That's right, this is a personal blog now.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I was gonna complain about a losing streak or something, but I remembered that I've been cooped up with my ridiculous family in a hotel room for the past two weeks.

That's right, this is a personal blog now.
So the thread is now, 'How do you deal with being cooped up in a hotel room with your family for two weeks?' :)

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Please just a few more days! I'm having Splatoon withdrawals!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED PIRANHA PIT YET

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I guess I can't complain that I still haven't gotten to play Splatoon; I mean, my rank hasn't gone down at all........
(Currently Dead Inside)

Also, can someone tell me when the next Splatfest is? I wanna know if I'm gonna miss Past vs. Future.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well I guess I can't complain that I still haven't gotten to play Splatoon; I mean, my rank hasn't gone down at all........
(Currently Dead Inside)

Also, can someone tell me when the next Splatfest is? I wanna know if I'm gonna miss Past vs. Future.
I believe it is this weekend, the 16th.

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
All you have to do is find something to smash (preferably something you don't care about) and quench your anger however you see fit.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
This is a field I tend to struggle with. I'm currently at A+ (4) after dropping from 96. As I've ranked up, I've encountered constant streaks where I'd drop two or three full ranks. I know the smart thing to do is to take a break and cool down, but I wonder if anyone else struggles with what feels (at least to me) like giving up after a losing streak.
Most definitely. Anyone from C- to S+ has probably felt the horrid stinging of falling down with a losing streak at their side.

When you feel a losing streak coming on, my best advice is simply to stop, take a break, then take up the game again later. There are a lot of people on Splatoon that accumulate through a small funnel, trying to get to S (and you're at A+, which is a very hard place!), so also remember that you're fighting through a high pressure area.

If you're losing, and just can't stop losing, try a different weapon. If there are a ton of chargers, go for the .96 Gal Deco, Jet Squelcher, Hydra Splatling, or another weapon that you feel comfortable in keeping your distance with. If that's not working, then take a break to think up strategies.

Get maps of the current rotation and draw all over them, point out some key points that you want to capture, and formulate different scenarios where you can dissect all sorts of different weapons and situations. If you're in question of certain mechanics in the game, definitely go to recon mode. You could be the master of a certain stage, but try to learn something new and helpful. That might just give you the edge to the next group of battles.

Also, check the stage rotation, and pick them wisely. If you enter Rainmaker on Kelp Dome, and you find that the stage is just too stuffed up, or maybe all the campering rollers are out, then go into turf, and test your skills there. If Rainmaker, Tower Control, or Splat Zones isn't your jam, then battle against your friends in a private battle, or practice new techniques in turf.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be to S in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom