• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Most definitely. Anyone from C- to S+ has probably felt the horrid stinging of falling down with a losing streak at their side.

When you feel a losing streak coming on, my best advice is simply to stop, take a break, then take up the game again later. There are a lot of people on Splatoon that accumulate through a small funnel, trying to get to S (and you're at A+, which is a very hard place!), so also remember that you're fighting through a high pressure area.

If you're losing, and just can't stop losing, try a different weapon. If there are a ton of chargers, go for the .96 Gal Deco, Jet Squelcher, Hydra Splatling, or another weapon that you feel comfortable in keeping your distance with. If that's not working, then take a break to think up strategies.

Get maps of the current rotation and draw all over them, point out some key points that you want to capture, and formulate different scenarios where you can dissect all sorts of different weapons and situations. If you're in question of certain mechanics in the game, definitely go to recon mode. You could be the master of a certain stage, but try to learn something new and helpful. That might just give you the edge to the next group of battles.

Also, check the stage rotation, and pick them wisely. If you enter Rainmaker on Kelp Dome, and you find that the stage is just too stuffed up, or maybe all the campering rollers are out, then go into turf, and test your skills there. If Rainmaker, Tower Control, or Splat Zones isn't your jam, then battle against your friends in a private battle, or practice new techniques in turf.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be to S in no time.
I appreciate the help, but I'm already an S+ ranker. I posted this thread around September, I believe.

Still, thanks for the advice!

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
I appreciate the help, but I'm already an S+ ranker. I posted this thread around September, I believe.

Still, thanks for the advice!
Oh, geez! I'm new to Squidboards, so I really have trouble finding dates, haha. Sorry about that.

And, S+? That's wicked! You should teach me how to work that magic.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Oh, geez! I'm new to Squidboards, so I really have trouble finding dates, haha. Sorry about that.

And, S+? That's wicked! You should teach me how to work that magic.
Thanks Boss! It is true, I do have some tricks up my sleeve. If you're ever looking for Luna Blaster advice, I'm your man.

But S+? It's not all it's cracked up to be. More than not will you be finding yourself losing, and with every player having inkredible (had to do it) skill sets that perfectly compliment their weapon (myself included), some matchups are just slaughterhouses. For example, I couldn't tell what was worse last night: The fact that it was Rainmaker, the constant disconnects (but that's just my **** internet), or the E-Liters from hell.

But granted, the battles are always badass and splatting enemies feel ssoo good in this rank (I mean come on, I used to be stuck at C+, and I can keep up with the good boys, how ya like me now?!).

If there's any area in particular you need help with, just ask. For example, I may not use the Splattershot Jr. Or the E-Liter, but I still know some tips while using them. There's a few things you should always do though, with any weapon:
-Use motion controls. They suck at first, but god will you get better with them over time. Turning your character becomes like turning your head
-If you're swimming around an enemy to try and get a good shot on him/her, practice keeping your reticle on them, and adjusting your movements accordingly. It's difficult to get the hang of, but it gives you a lot of extra leeway to land a hit, since you won't be spending time lining your shot as you rise out of the ink. This is vital for a Luna user like me, since there is a small delay before every shot (it's especially noticeable when you come back out of the ink). And since the Luna is a one-shotter with direct hits, getting better aim can really save your tail. This will still work with all the other weapons too, you just need to adjust your aiming and distance of attack accordingly (well, don't try it with chargers, you'll lose lol). Close range weapons like the Tri-Slosher, most Blasters, Splattershots, Splash-O-Matic variants, and Rollers can use this very well.

Need anything else? Just ask!

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
I'm usually in about the middle on wins/losses no matter how well I'm doing,winning or losing streak. Even if it is how you suggested, I don't know why they felt that it trumps purely random matchups. I think they should make players within their own rank get matched up completely randomly, to equalize everything out. 'Cause on certain maps (like the Luna Blaster at Moray Towers) some weapons just don't do well. And if they pair players based on performance, that's why one might see a team with two E-Liters or Lunas or .52/.96 Gals, since they are bound to perform the same. It's not really a fair matchup when two of the same weapon are on one team, when they could've easily been split into the other team. It'd be understandable if it were completely random, but this is due to Splatoon's algorithms matching certain players together, whatever they actually are. And since weapons like the .52/.96 Gal and the E-Liter are very versatile and effective at every map (God did I hate admitting that), fighting more than one with a team without them makes for a bad time. I'm not ranting about what weapon is overpowered or not, just that I seem to always play against E-Liters, .52/.96 Gals, Carbon/ Krak-On Rollers, and Splattershot Jr.s in multiples of two. That's why I think that they match players based on performance. Oh, and I often find myself paired with another Luna, or other Blaster variant (but not the Rapid Blaster, oddly).

I don't think that the rank system is awful; I mean, even when I lose I still get up to 15+ kills (so I still feel good about my own performance). I just feel that if I had to pick if it was good as is or needs improvement, I'd pick the latter. Maybe if they factored in to their system how weapons are arranged, and not just players, It might work a little better. That sounds like a lot of recalibrating and modifying the current system, so I understand if they couldn't do that. I just think that it'd make matchups a little more fair.
how is two e-liters on a team unfair? if anything, it would be worse for them because their weapon comp is weak

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
how is two e-liters on a team unfair? if anything, it would be worse for them because their weapon comp is weak
Depends on the map and the skill of the eliters. Two eliters can lock down both sides of the map, and most times allow the other members of the team to push the objective to a large enough lead to win the game, if not get a KO outright.

If the eliters aren't great, then yeah, they can be a liability. And any more than 2 is probably a bad idea. But, when I see two eliters I usually don't have a great feeling about our chances.

Check out what they can do at S rank:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Depends on the map and the skill of the eliters. Two eliters can lock down both sides of the map, and most times allow the other members of the team to push the objective to a large enough lead to win the game, if not get a KO outright.

If the eliters aren't great, then yeah, they can be a liability. And any more than 2 is probably a bad idea. But, when I see two eliters I usually don't have a great feeling about our chances.

I couldn't have said it any better. It depends on the abilities of the player. Sure, there are times (especially on certain maps) where more than one charger means an instant loss, but as Tim said, they can completely lockdown a map if used effectively. I pointed it out in my original post because E-Liters are very notable to me (If I can't get my trusty Luna close enough, they wreck my shop), and I notice their matchings very often. Even on maps where the E-Liter might suffer (Like Urchin Underpass), it's still pretty common that I see them partnered up, further supporting my idea that players with the same weapons get paired together more often due to similar performances.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn

I know, what their like. Im S rank myself, but it is something you have to be prepared for. You change your play style to beat them out or scare them away. You can run cold blooded too.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I know, what their like. Im S rank myself, but it is something you have to be prepared for. You change your play style to beat them out or scare them away. You can run cold blooded too.
You can, but it doesn't always work. Also, some weapon matchups just don't work well. The Luna variants are pretty unprepared for charger shots (unless you have the special charged up, but that's not a definite thing), and are very hard to overcome ranged enemies while detected. I can sneak under them on maps like Bluefin Depot or outmaneuver them on Mahi Mahi (sometimes, anyway), but that's just with one E-Liter. With more than one, I can't approach a sniper without the other spotting me. And while yes, there are strategies that I can and do utilize to try and combat this disadvantage, it is still extremely difficult and overbearing.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
Thanks Boss! It is true, I do have some tricks up my sleeve. If you're ever looking for Luna Blaster advice, I'm your man.

But S+? It's not all it's cracked up to be. More than not will you be finding yourself losing, and with every player having inkredible (had to do it) skill sets that perfectly compliment their weapon (myself included), some matchups are just slaughterhouses. For example, I couldn't tell what was worse last night: The fact that it was Rainmaker, the constant disconnects (but that's just my **** internet), or the E-Liters from hell.

But granted, the battles are always badass and splatting enemies feel ssoo good in this rank (I mean come on, I used to be stuck at C+, and I can keep up with the good boys, how ya like me now?!).

If there's any area in particular you need help with, just ask. For example, I may not use the Splattershot Jr. Or the E-Liter, but I still know some tips while using them. There's a few things you should always do though, with any weapon:
-Use motion controls. They suck at first, but god will you get better with them over time. Turning your character becomes like turning your head
-If you're swimming around an enemy to try and get a good shot on him/her, practice keeping your reticle on them, and adjusting your movements accordingly. It's difficult to get the hang of, but it gives you a lot of extra leeway to land a hit, since you won't be spending time lining your shot as you rise out of the ink. This is vital for a Luna user like me, since there is a small delay before every shot (it's especially noticeable when you come back out of the ink). And since the Luna is a one-shotter with direct hits, getting better aim can really save your tail. This will still work with all the other weapons too, you just need to adjust your aiming and distance of attack accordingly (well, don't try it with chargers, you'll lose lol). Close range weapons like the Tri-Slosher, most Blasters, Splattershots, Splash-O-Matic variants, and Rollers can use this very well.

Need anything else? Just ask!
That's some great advice! I have a friend who is an S+, and took me into a squad battle when I had just become an A. It was quite the slaughterhouse, haha. I left the battle with 20+ kills. I have never seen a messier map. These darn messy squids!

As for weapon sets, I do not play blasters. I was never able to get into it. The slower pace of fire really made me uncomfortable. Due to having no experience in that set, the range and odd active hitbox made me incredibly vulnerable. I've seen some really terrifying Luna players, though. The real problem is when they get close to you. I play chargers for the most part, but I like to take a break with the .52 Gal or .96 Gal Deco.

Now that I think about it, I need some weapon variety. I rarely use the Carbon Roller or Heavy Splatling for ranked, anymore. Do you suggest any sets for me? By mode, perhaps. Rainmaker, Tower Control, and Splat Zones?

Did you get to S+ through solo queue, squad battles, or a mixture? I tend to lose squad battles, no matter what happens, so I hang out in solo queue. Gee, man. I could learn a lot from ya! Thank you!

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
You can, but it doesn't always work. Also, some weapon matchups just don't work well. The Luna variants are pretty unprepared for charger shots (unless you have the special charged up, but that's not a definite thing), and are very hard to overcome ranged enemies while detected. I can sneak under them on maps like Bluefin Depot or outmaneuver them on Mahi Mahi (sometimes, anyway), but that's just with one E-Liter. With more than one, I can't approach a sniper without the other spotting me. And while yes, there are strategies that I can and do utilize to try and combat this disadvantage, it is still extremely difficult and overbearing.
That's why you use the Luna Blaster Neo because the Neo helps to make pushes with bomb rush so your teammates can take out the sniper. I'm a sniper myself and its hard to get away once youre stuck in a blaster blast.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
That's why you use the Luna Blaster Neo because the Neo helps to make pushes with bomb rush so your teammates can take out the sniper. I'm a sniper myself and its hard to get away once youre stuck in a blaster blast.
For snipers, I prefer the Inkzooka. I'd rather take them out myself, since more often than not my teammates aren't very coordinated, and relying on them doesn't get me too far. But yeah, I can wreck a charger when I'm up close, but it's not the same story farther away.

Also, if you're a charger user, I have a question:
When I take out chargers, it's usually in a case where I've caught them by surprise, and they're in the middle of charging a shot for someone else (this is especially common on Museum d' Alfonso). It usually takes two shots to take them out, but I've never had a case where they seemed to even at least notice that I hit them (no reaction, no attempt to run away, no movement to aim at me, it's like I wasn't even there; they just keep charging their shot, targeting an enemy. Granted, this is only within a period of about 1 second). Is it hard to notice blaster shots that come from surprise? Is it a case of just not enough reaction time? I can understand this happening for scoped weapons, since their field of vision is severely hindered. Do you have any insight?

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
For snipers, I prefer the Inkzooka. I'd rather take them out myself, since more often than not my teammates aren't very coordinated, and relying on them doesn't get me too far. But yeah, I can wreck a charger when I'm up close, but it's not the same story farther away.

Also, if you're a charger user, I have a question:
When I take out chargers, it's usually in a case where I've caught them by surprise, and they're in the middle of charging a shot for someone else (this is especially common on Museum d' Alfonso). It usually takes two shots to take them out, but I've never had a case where they seemed to even at least notice that I hit them (no reaction, no attempt to run away, no movement to aim at me, it's like I wasn't even there; they just keep charging their shot, targeting an enemy. Granted, this is only within a period of about 1 second). Is it hard to notice blaster shots that come from surprise? Is it a case of just not enough reaction time? I can understand this happening for scoped weapons, since their field of vision is severely hindered. Do you have any insight?
Definitely for scopes but I do this too but only because I run haunt. I take out the person who I'm aiming for because they are the main person posing a threat to the team objective and if I take out that person then the person that killed me will be echolocated and be under a lot of pressure waiting for his teammates.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
That's some great advice! I have a friend who is an S+, and took me into a squad battle when I had just become an A. It was quite the slaughterhouse, haha. I left the battle with 20+ kills. I have never seen a messier map. These darn messy squids!

As for weapon sets, I do not play blasters. I was never able to get into it. The slower pace of fire really made me uncomfortable. Due to having no experience in that set, the range and odd active hitbox made me incredibly vulnerable. I've seen some really terrifying Luna players, though. The real problem is when they get close to you. I play chargers for the most part, but I like to take a break with the .52 Gal or .96 Gal Deco.

Now that I think about it, I need some weapon variety. I rarely use the Carbon Roller or Heavy Splatling for ranked, anymore. Do you suggest any sets for me? By mode, perhaps. Rainmaker, Tower Control, and Splat Zones?

Did you get to S+ through solo queue, squad battles, or a mixture? I tend to lose squad battles, no matter what happens, so I hang out in solo queue. Gee, man. I could learn a lot from ya! Thank you!
You're variety isn't too bad; it seems that you do well with longer ranges. The .52 Gal is pretty decent in close range too, so you don't seem to be doing too bad. I'm sure Blasters are pretty easy to take out with the .52, but you probably don't have as much luck with weapons like the Splattershot Jr. and Splash-O-Matic (these are all just assumptions, based on both my experience and the fire rate of the weapons, so I could be wrong). For dealing with Lunas, I have one big long recommendation-
Run Away.
Just Run Away.
Seriously, get outta there.
The Luna Blaster is like the COD equivalent to a shotgun- no range (well I mean that's not entirely true, but only because I'm really good with it). The best way to counter a gun that has a wide short range and deals massive damage is to stay out of that range. If one starts getting close (especially since you use weapons like chargers and the Gal variants), just fall back, and take 'em out from a distance. I'm the king when it comes to sneaking up on unsuspecting squids. But if they're attentive enough and pull out a little distance away from me, that's it. Clocked out. Done. I just can't do anything- I can maybe throw a Splat Bomb, but I'd have to be really lucky to take you out with it (and even if I do, I'd still get splatted beforehand). There's the specials too, but I don't really consider those too much into my strategy, since they're not always there (I don't really like having to rely on something I don't always have, especially since the Luna doesn't have very good ink coverage ability anyways). Splash Walls are great too, I CANNOT tell you how many times I've killed myself by swimming right into one (thosedamnthingsaresuchbullshitandsoembarrassingthatijustwannabreakmycontrollerwhenithappens). So yeah, that's the gist for that.

For set recommendations, I can give you advice, and maybe a little insight to how I play with them, but it may or may not work well for you. Our play styles are most likely going to be pretty different- a weapon you might be good with, I might be terrible with. What I can do is run you through how good what weapons are at what, and what situations you might find the dis/advantage for any given set. I'll go through a few that I use, and add a couple more. If there's any in particular that you want advice for, just ask me (writing this stuff is pretty fun, so I don't mind).
I'll skip blasters though; You said yourself that you stay away from them, and I've pretty much given you a description of the Luna already. Now, I won't really have too too much about good pathways and places to camp with the other weapons, since I don't hardly use them (the only other weapon I'm any good with is the Tri-Slosher [not the deco], and if I'm lucky, the N'Zap. I use the Hero-Charger Replica a little too, but if I had to rank my skill with it, I'd say I'm only at an A-/A equivalent). I'm also not going to go over the Carbon Roller or the Heavy Splatling, since you've used them before, and probably have a feel for them.
Now:

Since you seem to already be pretty well off with long range weapons, and you're looking for variety, I'm gonna stick mainly to close-mid range weapons (I feel like even if I give you any advice with chargers, you'd most likely know it already). (these pictures aren't my own, so don't ding me for stealing "such-and-such a person's" artwork)

The Slosher:
fa5bd46ba441d1a3255f003ee19ea2bf6c6af6071c666e93cd0231371eea3b94_1.jpg
Great close-mid range weapon- it's unique firing style and ability to attack over ledges make determining its exact range during battle a little edgy. It takes two shots to splat, and has a slightly less-than-average firing range. Covering turf easy with this weapon is a breeze, so rocking skills like special charge or duration up can be pretty powerful. However, while the weapon is effective close range against other mid-long range weapons (Splattershot, Chargers, Gal variants, etc.), trying to compete in a close firefight with a Luna Blaster or Splattershot Jr. or Sploosh-O-Matic etc. will leave you regretting it. With those weapons, the little extra range comes in handy. But by far, the Slosher's best ability is that it fires in an arc, one where the ink falls straight downward after its arc (that might be worded a little wrong, but you've played the game, you know what I mean). As quirky as it may seem to be tossing ink at an enemy firing straight at you, it leaves you with some great advantages.
1. You can attack from above, without actually being above.
2. You can attack from below, even with a ledge or wall covering the enemy (it reaches over).
If you're looking for the best situation with this weapon, it'd be at Moray Towers, Tower Control. First off, Moray Towers is nothing but ups and downs. And while even with the Slosher attacking from below still isn't a great idea (with the exception of the two ramps at the middle of the two towers, where you can climb up to the other team's wall), there are many great spots where you can hit an enemy WAAYYY below you. My favorite example of this is during Tower Control. As the tower converges on the first tall platform on your side, you can easily take out everyone on that tower.
Moray_Towers.jpg
See that yellow fence on the left hand side? You can shoot through that. And guess what else? The tower has to travel directly under there for a good while. While you should still check your surroundings and make sure that no enemies are sneaking up that wall or coming in from behind, you can (relatively safely, I might add) create a wall of death for all the inklings sitting on that tower. It takes a few tries to correctly gauge out the distance of the tower as it gets close (since you can't see it well from that angle), but it is a worthwhile tactic to develop.
Naturally, I recommend that you use this weapon for Tower Control, and Splat Zones (due to it's quick ink coverage and Inkstrike special). Id imagine that it'd be good on Rainmaker as well, but don't take my word for it- I suck during Rainmaker (I mean I can manage alright SOMETIMES, but I certainly don't have any really amazing ideas or counters for that mode. My play style just doesn't compliment it well, I guess). And last but not least, the subs and specials for the two variants:
Burst Bombs work like this: If you have Damage Up and/or Ink Saver Sub, they are extremely powerful, have relatively good range and aoe, and are my worst nightmare when fighting those F'ING E-LITERS THAT THINK THEY'RE SO SPECIAL WITH THEIR THREE DAMAGE UP SKILLS. Without those skills, I've found that they are a bit of a letdown when you rely on them; they always seemed to come just short of taking out an enemy before I met my demise. There's also an exploit you can use for quicker splats with the slosher, throwing a burst bomb at an enemy and immediately following with a slosher's, um, slosh. It'll take a bit of the time it takes to splat an enemy off if you can use it well, but it was never something I was able to get any good at.
Now, the Inkstrike is great all around. It's good really for any play style or game mode, but it's not the best when it comes to saving your arse when you get flanked by enemies and such (i.e. when you activate a Bubbler and take out the entire enemy team that thought they completely had you). It's more effective for doing things like getting the enemy off of the Tower and repainting a Splat Zone, and even keeping the enemy away from the Rainmaker. I've found that splats are pretty rare with this special, but it is nonetheless effective and versatile in many maps and modes.
For the Deco:
Splash Walls are about on the same wavelength as Inkstrikes for versatility, but are much more effective in smaller corridors where the only way to go is forward (Like the sides of Walleye Warehouse or Port Mackerel). And since you use the Gals, I think you know what you can do with them pretty well.
The Kraken is, well The Kraken is, you see...
NOT MY FRIEND
But it works great! It's like a Bubbler that gives you a speed boost, but lasts a little shorter. It's also another pretty versatile weapon, but you need to be careful not to get pushed off of ledges and such by enemy fire. And if you think you'll be splatted when you come out of that mode, you can always super jump away while it's still active. I can see you using it often when a close-ranger like a Luna or Sploosh-O-Matic catches you by surprise.

I've ran my whole rank solo queue, I've never done a squad match (the few friends I do have don't have a Wii U, go figure).

WELL! I wrote wayyyy more than I thought I was going to, so I'll come back a little later with more advice on other weapons. 'Cause, well, this took a while (but it was pretty fun). I don't know if I'll do another one tonight (maybe, but leaning towards less likely), but I'll probably do another one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Definitely for scopes but I do this too but only because I run haunt. I take out the person who I'm aiming for because they are the main person posing a threat to the team objective and if I take out that person then the person that killed me will be echolocated and be under a lot of pressure waiting for his teammates.
I see, and that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking that it might've been the case that they're trying to take out the other guy before they go, but I figured I'd ask since I got the chance. Also, Haunt is a great idea for this situation. Since I rely on my mains of Swim Speed Up, Damage Up/another Swim Speed Up (depending on the map rotation), and Ink Resistance Up, I don't have anywhere to put Cold-Blooded. And putting me on the radar puts me in full retreat mode (unless I'm feeling lucky, of course).

That's still interesting though, thanks for the insight! I figure I can do better if I can get an inkling (LOL) as to how the other players are thinking just a little bit. Also, stuff like that is fun to think about.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Just dropping in to say that I can eat a whole bag of chips out of frustration when I lose consecutively

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
I have this insanely bad habit of when I lose a match I proceed to enlist every single detail I saw my teammates do wrong in a group chat on Skype and it gets kind of toxic too due to how I talk when I'm chatting casually with close friends. It's become so common for me to do so that it's become a meme in there considering I'm the only one addicted to the game. Other than that, I mostly mumble a lot; sometimes just left in awe on how bad things turn out.

I should also clarify that the teammates in question aren't other people in said Skype chat, just people I get paired up with in Solo Ranked.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
I see, and that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking that it might've been the case that they're trying to take out the other guy before they go, but I figured I'd ask since I got the chance. Also, Haunt is a great idea for this situation. Since I rely on my mains of Swim Speed Up, Damage Up/another Swim Speed Up (depending on the map rotation), and Ink Resistance Up, I don't have anywhere to put Cold-Blooded. And putting me on the radar puts me in full retreat mode (unless I'm feeling lucky, of course).

That's still interesting though, thanks for the insight! I figure I can do better if I can get an inkling (LOL) as to how the other players are thinking just a little bit. Also, stuff like that is fun to think about.
If you play on a competitive team with voice chat and all like I do, then you don't need haunt and you can run cold-blooded because you can call out you killer's position. I still recommend haunt in solo queue though.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
If you play on a competitive team with voice chat and all like I do, then you don't need haunt and you can run cold-blooded because you can call out you killer's position. I still recommend haunt in solo queue though.
I've never played a squad battle, so I didn't even know there was voice chat in the game.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
There is no voice chat in the game. You use discord or skype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom