• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
That's some great advice! I have a friend who is an S+, and took me into a squad battle when I had just become an A. It was quite the slaughterhouse, haha. I left the battle with 20+ kills. I have never seen a messier map. These darn messy squids!

As for weapon sets, I do not play blasters. I was never able to get into it. The slower pace of fire really made me uncomfortable. Due to having no experience in that set, the range and odd active hitbox made me incredibly vulnerable. I've seen some really terrifying Luna players, though. The real problem is when they get close to you. I play chargers for the most part, but I like to take a break with the .52 Gal or .96 Gal Deco.

Now that I think about it, I need some weapon variety. I rarely use the Carbon Roller or Heavy Splatling for ranked, anymore. Do you suggest any sets for me? By mode, perhaps. Rainmaker, Tower Control, and Splat Zones?

Did you get to S+ through solo queue, squad battles, or a mixture? I tend to lose squad battles, no matter what happens, so I hang out in solo queue. Gee, man. I could learn a lot from ya! Thank you!
I couldn't get around to posting another weapon set today, but I haven't forgotten (my family and I are in the moving process, so go figure). I'll be posting another one soon.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I've never played a squad battle, so I didn't even know there was voice chat in the game.
I still look to see if you're on when I play. Oddly enough I haven't seen you once! :) If there were some means of sending a private message here I'd send my email address or a private message and you could just email me if you're in the mood to try squad...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I still look to see if you're on when I play. Oddly enough I haven't seen you once! :) If there were some means of sending a private message here I'd send my email address or a private message and you could just email me if you're in the mood to try squad...
You could send a conversation message, up in the top right. The odd thing is that you have to create a room before you can actually play with a friend.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
You could send a conversation message, up in the top right. The odd thing is that you have to create a room before you can actually play with a friend.
I wasn't sure if conversations were private. I'd prefer not to display my email address on a public forum.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
For snipers, I prefer the Inkzooka. I'd rather take them out myself, since more often than not my teammates aren't very coordinated, and relying on them doesn't get me too far. But yeah, I can wreck a charger when I'm up close, but it's not the same story farther away.

Also, if you're a charger user, I have a question:
When I take out chargers, it's usually in a case where I've caught them by surprise, and they're in the middle of charging a shot for someone else (this is especially common on Museum d' Alfonso). It usually takes two shots to take them out, but I've never had a case where they seemed to even at least notice that I hit them (no reaction, no attempt to run away, no movement to aim at me, it's like I wasn't even there; they just keep charging their shot, targeting an enemy. Granted, this is only within a period of about 1 second). Is it hard to notice blaster shots that come from surprise? Is it a case of just not enough reaction time? I can understand this happening for scoped weapons, since their field of vision is severely hindered. Do you have any insight?
For snipers, I prefer the Inkzooka. I'd rather take them out myself, since more often than not my teammates aren't very coordinated, and relying on them doesn't get me too far. But yeah, I can wreck a charger when I'm up close, but it's not the same story farther away.

Also, if you're a charger user, I have a question:
When I take out chargers, it's usually in a case where I've caught them by surprise, and they're in the middle of charging a shot for someone else (this is especially common on Museum d' Alfonso). It usually takes two shots to take them out, but I've never had a case where they seemed to even at least notice that I hit them (no reaction, no attempt to run away, no movement to aim at me, it's like I wasn't even there; they just keep charging their shot, targeting an enemy. Granted, this is only within a period of about 1 second). Is it hard to notice blaster shots that come from surprise? Is it a case of just not enough reaction time? I can understand this happening for scoped weapons, since their field of vision is severely hindered. Do you have any insight?
It's odd, because I've been a scope user for a long time. I still know when people are hurting me. I can't say I know why chargers just stand there and take the fire. Perhaps they're just too focused on their targets.

Do you still see charger users doing that at the S+ level? When you get close enough to them, and try to shoot them down, it'll sometimes be just too fast for them to react. If I'm running a fast shooting weapon, then I'm able to splat them before they are able to move to attack you.

On blaster shots? Most chargers try to run away. At least, I do. Sometimes it'll just be too short of a time frame for us to flee. Even if we do, the wave might splat us.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
It's odd, because I've been a scope user for a long time. I still know when people are hurting me. I can't say I know why chargers just stand there and take the fire. Perhaps they're just too focused on their targets.

Do you still see charger users doing that at the S+ level? When you get close enough to them, and try to shoot them down, it'll sometimes be just too fast for them to react. If I'm running a fast shooting weapon, then I'm able to splat them before they are able to move to attack you.

On blaster shots? Most chargers try to run away. At least, I do. Sometimes it'll just be too short of a time frame for us to flee. Even if we do, the wave might splat us.
Oh, you wanna talk about chargers at S+? I wouldn't know, because I can't even get close to them. In fact, those LOVELY AND WELL BALANCED weapons are the reasonI have dropped from S+ 32 to S 37. Ouch, right?

I dunno what was worse:

Maybe the times in Mahi Mahi where there is just no way for my Luna to take out the enemy E-Liter 3k Scopes (there was rarely just one), let alone even see them

Maybe it was when I started switching weapons around because I dropped to S+ 5, but doing even worse

Or maybe it might've been the THREE SEPERATE OCCASIONS where all three of my teammates had a total kill count of 0. Yes, 0.

There's also that part where the map rotation kicked in literally right after I dropped back to S, only to mock me by giving me the seriously worst combination possible- Rainmaker, Bluefin Depot, Moray Towers.

Actually, the worst part was when I kept playing until 4:30 in the goddamned morning desperate to go up even a little bit, only to plummet further.

So to answer your question- I have not yet had this situation occur in S+ rank, but will get back to you if/when I ever make it back to S+.

But all I wanna do right now is write a formal complaint to Shintaro Sato for his completely nonsensical matchmaking algorithm. I don't understand how one can call having two chargers in every enemy team of every matchup a "fair, randomized match."

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Oh, you wanna talk about chargers at S+? I wouldn't know, because I can't even get close to them. In fact, those LOVELY AND WELL BALANCED weapons are the reasonI have dropped from S+ 32 to S 37. Ouch, right?

I dunno what was worse:

Maybe the times in Mahi Mahi where there is just no way for my Luna to take out the enemy E-Liter 3k Scopes (there was rarely just one), let alone even see them

Maybe it was when I started switching weapons around because I dropped to S+ 5, but doing even worse

Or maybe it might've been the THREE SEPERATE OCCASIONS where all three of my teammates had a total kill count of 0. Yes, 0.

There's also that part where the map rotation kicked in literally right after I dropped back to S, only to mock me by giving me the seriously worst combination possible- Rainmaker, Bluefin Depot, Moray Towers.

Actually, the worst part was when I kept playing until 4:30 in the goddamned morning desperate to go up even a little bit, only to plummet further.

So to answer your question- I have not yet had this situation occur in S+ rank, but will get back to you if/when I ever make it back to S+.

But all I wanna do right now is write a formal complaint to Shintaro Sato for his completely nonsensical matchmaking algorithm. I don't understand how one can call having two chargers in every enemy team of every matchup a "fair, randomized match."

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
Never take a loss to heart, use it as a learning experience not a salty driven rage fest.

its okay to be upset just don't let it last longer than a few seconds or minutes :o

jsilva

Inkling Cadet

I dunno what was worse:

Sorry dude! I'll cosign your formal complaint :)

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468

I dunno what was worse:

S+ players are terrifying players. It makes me wonder if those guys have some hit mods on the game, or something. The deadly accuracy of those E-Liter 3K users is horrible. They can see you swimming around from a mile away.

Before they edited the match making, I had a few rare occurences where I'd see a couple S+ players in the lobby wirh me. I didn't see anyone from America, though. All of them were Japanese names. Almost all of them played E-Liter. I was, too, but the match turned from "Control the Tower" to "Who Can Kill the Other Charger the Most."

On the randomized business, I think the game's algorithm is just messed up. During TC, I've seen teams of all Lunas, and Splat Zones, all chargers. Fortunately, after the recent update, I rarely see S ranks or S+ people in my lobby. (Unless my vibe is higher. Then, I tend to get thrown into S hell.)

I've got another question for you. If you don't play many squad battles, this might not make sense. But… is it true that S and S+ rank players do not lose nor gain points when doing squad matches with friends? Because that's chill as heck.

Best of luck returning to S+. If you got there once, returning there will be a breeze for you. Choose your rotations sparingly. If there are certain weapon sets that really get your goat, then pick a set to combat those. You'll keep yourself safe, and you'll cover your buddies, too. I hope it goes well for ya!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
S+ players are terrifying players. It makes me wonder if those guys have some hit mods on the game, or something. The deadly accuracy of those E-Liter 3K users is horrible. They can see you swimming around from a mile away.

Before they edited the match making, I had a few rare occurences where I'd see a couple S+ players in the lobby wirh me. I didn't see anyone from America, though. All of them were Japanese names. Almost all of them played E-Liter. I was, too, but the match turned from "Control the Tower" to "Who Can Kill the Other Charger the Most."

On the randomized business, I think the game's algorithm is just messed up. During TC, I've seen teams of all Lunas, and Splat Zones, all chargers. Fortunately, after the recent update, I rarely see S ranks or S+ people in my lobby. (Unless my vibe is higher. Then, I tend to get thrown into S hell.)

I've got another question for you. If you don't play many squad battles, this might not make sense. But… is it true that S and S+ rank players do not lose nor gain points when doing squad matches with friends? Because that's chill as heck.

Best of luck returning to S+. If you got there once, returning there will be a breeze for you. Choose your rotations sparingly. If there are certain weapon sets that really get your goat, then pick a set to combat those. You'll keep yourself safe, and you'll cover your buddies, too. I hope it goes well for ya!
Yess! Splatoon has two rules:

1. Every sniper in the lobby must be on the same team.

2. The team with the most snipers wins the game.

Seriously, their idea of "let's match players of similar skill" is abhorrent! All that this means is that players who are winning are put with all the winning players, and all the losers with the losers. And once chargers and .92/.52 Gal Decos and Carbon Rollers and Blasters and Splattershot Jr.s all start doing well, they get all bunched together. It's not that these weapons are necessarily overpowered, but they are all commonly paired together. And since it's obvious that teams composed of these weapons are undefeatable, you're left with one option- Either git gud with these weapons, or get out. I get stuck with teams of three Lunas and endup fighting teams of snipers, on Camp Triggerfish. How do you think that went for us? Granted, we could win if we were able to get on their side, but that's just it- if. I only complain about it as much as I do because this is all the result of the game's matchmaking system. I just don't understand how this system trumps the basic "fight a completely random matchup of players within your rank" style. All it does is leave me, a player with a very high-risk high-reward style, down and out. It's just inexcusable- that I should have to wait for the perfect map rotation with the perfect set just to be able to use the weapon I want. Instead, all the game is promoting me to do is pick up the E-Liter, and God do I know that it won't bode well for me.

I'm not sure if your rank drops in Squad battle, but it'd be cool if it didn't; Especially since today was full of nothing but disconnects. I managed to get to S 65, but the great combo of **** internet and Splatoon's garbage servers gave me a bumpy ride down to S 19. Sooo.... I appreciate the help and advice, but I'm wayy too bitter right now to even think positively about this stupid game.

I love that I spent two whole weeks super excited to finally get to play again only for the game to once again bend me over backwards. Maybe I'm just subconsciously into that.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Sorry dude! I'll cosign your formal complaint :)
Thanks Boss- I might end up submitting them the poll I started on this thread if it gets a few more votes. We're almost at 200, and Team Bad is winning by popularity.

Although, that just means that they have the disadvantage during its Splatfest.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Never take a loss to heart, use it as a learning experience not a salty driven rage fest.

its okay to be upset just don't let it last longer than a few seconds or minutes :scared:
Well, when they happen as often as they do, it's hard to stay optimistic. Especially now, since I've gone from S+ 32 to S 19.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
Yess! Splatoon has two rules:

1. Every sniper in the lobby must be on the same team.

2. The team with the most snipers wins the game.

Seriously, their idea of "let's match players of similar skill" is abhorrent! All that this means is that players who are winning are put with all the winning players, and all the losers with the losers. And once chargers and .92/.52 Gal Decos and Carbon Rollers and Blasters and Splattershot Jr.s all start doing well, they get all bunched together. It's not that these weapons are necessarily overpowered, but they are all commonly paired together. And since it's obvious that teams composed of these weapons are undefeatable, you're left with one option- Either git gud with these weapons, or get out. I get stuck with teams of three Lunas and endup fighting teams of snipers, on Camp Triggerfish. How do you think that went for us? Granted, we could win if we were able to get on their side, but that's just it- if. I only complain about it as much as I do because this is all the result of the game's matchmaking system. I just don't understand how this system trumps the basic "fight a completely random matchup of players within your rank" style. All it does is leave me, a player with a very high-risk high-reward style, down and out. It's just inexcusable- that I should have to wait for the perfect map rotation with the perfect set just to be able to use the weapon I want. Instead, all the game is promoting me to do is pick up the E-Liter, and God do I know that it won't bode well for me.

I'm not sure if your rank drops in Squad battle, but it'd be cool if it didn't; Especially since today was full of nothing but disconnects. I managed to get to S 65, but the great combo of **** internet and Splatoon's garbage servers gave me a bumpy ride down to S 19. Sooo.... I appreciate the help and advice, but I'm wayy too bitter right now to even think positively about this stupid game.

I love that I spent two whole weeks super excited to finally get to play again only for the game to once again bend me over backwards. Maybe I'm just subconsciously into that.
Gee, man. How idealistic (more like impossible) would it be to see a decently balanced team? One roller? One shooter? One blaster? One charger? That'd sure be the day!

If I got a teams like that more than once, I'd throw in the towel and hail these match making systems. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often. The one time that I had a decently balanced team, a bunch of chargers stepped on our heads.

Even though it helps, those people who have damageupdamageupdamageupdamageupdamageup for their stats are proving absolutely nothing. Let's squish all of the "I think I'm good" E-Liters together, take away all of their damage up gear, and watch them get squished.

I absolutely hate squad battles. Even if you've got a well coordinated squad, I have not yet one a single squad battle. I do so well in solo queue. Got a 0-4 today in squad, and I was so humiliated. I swear. Once I got into some solo ranked, I felt fine. Even got a 17-3 on Mahi-Mahi, too.

To be honest, I'm sure every player who really wants to raise their rank has gotten bitter towards Splatoon's poor matchmaking and servers once and awhile. I just sit here salty about poor choices that I make in battle. It's only easy to get frustrated with the game if the other team flattens you. It's the most "clench your teeth really hard" feeling in the game. Except for the "I shot first and still died" business.

Finally got to A+, though. I never thought I'd leave A.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Well since i've been in a losing streak recently, i thought i might come here again.
So after not playing splatoon for 2 weeks, obviously i wasn't expecting to win matches, but relearning my strategies would be easy?....Nah that'd be too simple xD

I got thrown into Pirahna Pit Splatzone's for the first time. Since it wasn't on turf, i was forced to try A+ rank Pirahna pit and optionally with the Sloshing Machine Neo. I'm not sure about how my team went, but all's i know is that we got beaten to a pulp, 3 Knock outs in a row weren't good for my rank, but personally I think i got to A+ and S by pure luck from great team members.

So i dropped into A rank, And I really see the skill difference. B+ tend to shoot a bit more inaccurately compared to A+ giving me more "reaction" time. Then i face these Smurf level 19 A- ranks tearing me apart with the Octobrush.

Never done any squad battles, and i don't think i'd want to either. I'm a bit of a selfish player that just does what i want to. So it's more of a "Deal with my strategy. And i'll learn your strategy some day" with teammates. Though that doesn't mean i don't listen to advice or commands. It's just i want to do what i think is best. But maybe that's why i'm in A rank and others are in A+ to S+ ranks xD

Oh yeah, on the subject of balanced teams. I remember getting total'd by an all Tentatek/Octoshot team when i underestimated them. Specifically when i underestimated them xD And our team was pretty well rounded as far as i can remember.

Since i'm unable to play Splatoon daily and only weekly, i'm a bit skeptical of whether i'll be dropping into A- or making it back to A+, Whichever it is, preferably, i don't want to go to B+ again xD

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Gee, man. How idealistic (more like impossible) would it be to see a decently balanced team? One roller? One shooter? One blaster? One charger? That'd sure be the day!

If I got a teams like that more than once, I'd throw in the towel and hail these match making systems. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often. The one time that I had a decently balanced team, a bunch of chargers stepped on our heads.

Even though it helps, those people who have damageupdamageupdamageupdamageupdamageup for their stats are proving absolutely nothing. Let's squish all of the "I think I'm good" E-Liters together, take away all of their damage up gear, and watch them get squished.

I absolutely hate squad battles. Even if you've got a well coordinated squad, I have not yet one a single squad battle. I do so well in solo queue. Got a 0-4 today in squad, and I was so humiliated. I swear. Once I got into some solo ranked, I felt fine. Even got a 17-3 on Mahi-Mahi, too.

To be honest, I'm sure every player who really wants to raise their rank has gotten bitter towards Splatoon's poor matchmaking and servers once and awhile. I just sit here salty about poor choices that I make in battle. It's only easy to get frustrated with the game if the other team flattens you. It's the most "clench your teeth really hard" feeling in the game. Except for the "I shot first and still died" business.

Finally got to A+, though. I never thought I'd leave A.
I'm gonna try out squad battles next time, and see if it works for me. Maybe I can work better with a consistent team, like during Splatfests. Even still, I'm taking a few days off of this game after yesterday and the day before. It was just such bullshit, so unfair, and above all else, not fun.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I'm gonna try out squad battles next time, and see if it works for me. Maybe I can work better with a consistent team, like during Splatfests. Even still, I'm taking a few days off of this game after yesterday and the day before. It was just such bullshit, so unfair, and above all else, not fun.
If you'd like to play squad with me let me know when you'll be on and I'll be on then. I'll use the Tentatek rather than the Luna Blaster for some variety.

I've been having some ridiculous and predictably repeating losing streaks on my 'fun' account for the past few weeks. Not so fun, as you said :) Though today was overall pretty fun. I've been getting a lot better at the Luna Blaster recently so I feel good about that. I'll be doing rainmaker later today, hoping I don't keep plummeting...

Yesterday I was playing and there was an S+ named 'pαm' who used the Octobrush and was fabulous. She kicked my butt in the first game but I was getting the better of her in the next, but then she was on my team for the next few games and my team was excellent. Then she disappeared and I was bugged because my teams were no longer very excellent after that...

Last edited:

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
I don't blame ya. If you're willing to share NNIDs, that's be great. Maybe we could practice together sometime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom