• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I hate being "that guy" who faults his team for their demotion in rank but when your S+ teammates bring H-3 Nozzlenose's into ranked mode and on top of that don't make any effort to go anywhere near the rainmaker the entire match it's really frustrating. Splatoon's ranked system is silly
Yeah. I know people say not to blame teammates, and DUDE even did a whole youtube rant about it....but when I got 8/2 and the rest of my team goes 1/3,1/4,1/5 I cant help but think it wasn't me...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Yeah. I know people say not to blame teammates, and DUDE even did a whole youtube rant about it....but when I got 8/2 and the rest of my team goes 1/3,1/4,1/5 I cant help but think it wasn't me...
I'm the same in that area. I'll get in surplus of 15/8 when everyone else is around 4/4 for most matches. The difference with me though- I'm a Luna user, and I prioritize taking out enemies over the objective. So it's not really that I'm better than my teammates, just that I try to make it easier for my teammates to do the hard part, actually winning. I'm good at sneaking up on enemies though, so it usually works out well (though I can't tell you how many times it's ended up where the entire enemy team is splatted and no one is at the objective).

Also, I love your signature

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I started playing on my second/fun account today with low expectations (for whatever reason), but in a surprise not-losing-streak I got up to S :) And I did it at level 26 which is better than my main account (and I didn't camp at level 20), which is funny since I was trying to just have fun and get better at the Luna Blaster. I did have some frustrating games but overall it was positive.

It is actually refreshing playing in the S lobbies again. I'm sure I'll get a losing streak, or two or three, but I really enjoy these games.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
So I was going to go on here to talk about how great Splatoon was today.

BUT NO.
NO NO NO.
THE GAME HAD TO **** ME.
SO I PLAYED RAINMAKER. BIG ****ING MISTAKE.
I GOT TO S 94. 94! GREAT! I LOVE SPLAT ZONES! ME AND MY TRUSTY LUNA KICKED ***!
BUT THE GODS OF RNG MUST HAVE SEEN THIS, AND DECIDED, "F.UCK THAT GUY. LET'S GIVE HIM RAINMAKER. AT FLOUNDER HEIGHTS.
AS AN ADDED BONUS, WE'LL GIVE HIM MUSEUM D' ALFONSO, BUT HE'LL NEVER ACTUALLY GET TO PLAY ON IT."

MY *******, KNOWING THAT I AM ABSOLUTE GARBAGE AT RAINMAKER, THOUGHT "SOUNDS GREAT! I'LL NEVER GET BETTER AT RAINMAKER IF I DON'T PLAY IT!" WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID WAS "THE LUNA DOESN'T HAVE THE SUFFICIENT RANGE TO BE OF ANY USE AGAINST THE PLETHORA OF SPLATTERSHOTS AND DUAL SQUELCHERS OUT THERE, NOT TO MENTION THE COWARDLY LITTLE ROLLERS THAT LIKE TO LIE IN WAIT FOR YOU (EVEN THOUGH I DO THE EXACT SAME THING WITH THE LUNA), I SHOULD BACK OFF, AND DO SOMETHING ELSE."

I ****ING SWEAR. I PLAYED MUSEUM D' ALFONSO FOUR TIMES. OUT OF 50 (ROUGHLY, YOU CAN'T EXPECT ME TO COUNT IT, BUT I GUARANTEE THAT 50 ISN'T MUCH OF AN EXAGGERATION). THERE'S MY FIRST PROBLEM. THERE'S NO WAY THAT'S RANDOM. I'M NOT SAYING THERE'S SOME GAME DEVELOPER OUT TO GET ME, BUT THAT THIS GAME'S MATCHUP CALCULATOR IS COMPLETE TRASH. 4 A RANKS AND 4 S RANKS? SURE, LETS PUT 3 S RANKS ON ONE SIDE, AND ONE ON THE OTHER. THAT'S A FAIR MATCHUP. LETS MAKE SURE EVERY SNIPER IS ON THE SAME TEAM TOO. OH YEAH, DON'T FORGET THAT EVERY ****** THAT HAS A BUBBLER NEEDS TO BE ON THE SAME TEAM, WE CAN'T HAVE THIS GUY WINNING.

AND DON'T EVEN ****ING GET ME STARTED ON THE HORSESHIT THAT IS THEIR POINT SYSTEM. WOW, MY FIRST WIN AFTER LIKE 10 LOSSES! AGAINST TWO S+ RANKS, WHEN WE JUST HAD NORMAL S RANKS! SWEET! oh. 4 points.
DAMNIT! I LOST AGAIN! WE HAD TWO A+ RANKS AND TWO S RANKS, AND THEY HAD ONE A AND A+ RANK INSTEAD OF TWO A+ RANKS. oh. -8 points. YEAH. OKAY. SURE. WHATEVER. NO PROBLEM.

AGGGGHHHHH GO **** YOURSELF SPLATOON! I'M OVER THIS ****! THIS IS THE 7TH GOD DAMN TIME THAT YOU'VE PUT ME UP INTO THE 90'S, ONLY TO DROP ME ALL THE WAY ****ING DOWN. GREAT, NOW I'M BACK TO S 40. IT ONLY TOOK MILLIONS OF +2 VICTORIES TO EVEN GET NEAR YOU, BUT NOOOOOOO. WE CAN'T HAVE THAT! THANKS AGAIN! ONCE AGAIN, I SCREWED MYSELF. ONCE AGAIN, I SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT JUST BECAUSE I WANTED TO PLAY SPLATOON A LITTLE LONGER. ONCE AGAIN, I LET MY PRIDE GET COMPLETELY CRUSHED AS I REALIZE HOW HORRIBLE IT IS THAT I'M GETTING THIS ****ING ANGRY AT A ****ING VIDEO GAME. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO ANGRY IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I REALLY WISH THAT SOMETHING COULD BE DONE TO FIX RANKED MODE, BUT I'M NOT EVEN ALL THAT CONFIDENT THAT IT IS ALL THAT BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. WAS IT REALLY JUST BAD LUCK?

Best wishes, Ethan Salinas~

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I feel a little better now that I ranted about it. I'm glad I started this thread.

Dark G

Inkling
NNID
Neil94
lmao what a rant that was. If I've learned anything from Splatoon's ranked system it's that S+ doesn't necessarily mean you're better than S or even A ranks but rather you were extremely lucky to be on a balanced team. Don't stress yourself out over your rank man. Although, I do admit I was pretty upset when I lost my S+ after how long it took me to achieve it. Now I really just don't care lol

Dark G

Inkling
NNID
Neil94
Yeah, Dude's an amazing player but that video was just wrong. Ranked Mode is a lottery

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
lmao what a rant that was. If I've learned anything from Splatoon's ranked system it's that S+ doesn't necessarily mean you're better than S or even A ranks but rather you were extremely lucky to be on a balanced team. Don't stress yourself out over your rank man. Although, I do admit I was pretty upset when I lost my S+ after how long it took me to achieve it. Now I really just don't care lol
Well I'm sure it's a lot easier to take a drop from S+ since that's the highest you can go anyways. Once you get there, falling wouldn't be as big a deal, since that's the only way you could go anyways (at least that's how I see it). I was getting kinda sad at S 94 though, because I was thinking about how once I make it to S+ there won't really be a goal for me to push for anymore. I guess I should be thanking Splatoon for making it just a little longer.

LaJoJoe

Inkster Jr.
NNID
LaJoJoe
Yo I feel isan you cant JUST brush it off like that man like you lose your skill when ur roasting ***** of other squids I frikin hate splatoon cause of that ****! and you should be able to vchange in an online match to waste less time, like squad battles

Ollie

Inkling
NNID
Olliastic
So I was at S 65 earlier this evening, I'm now at S 3....
I play e-liter and hero charger replica. This game feels so broken some days. I don't know what the algorithm is but I agree with jsilva on this, it seems like the matchmaking sometimes greatly affects and fosters a losing streak.
At first I thought maybe I'm raging and that's bringing down my performance... but to end the last match at 15:2 with teammates scoring - 6:11, 8:6, AND 1:5... not to sound arrogant but I doubt it's me. We literally lost the zone by one point because no one finished inking the area.
I'm a charger, I'm taking people out left and right... teammates are off trying to charge their special. How dense are these players!? and i'm sorry but I seem to have such crappy luck with Asian players, they're always terrible on my team. Shooters jumping in front of me to shoot ink from a ledge! When I use the nzap you better believe I'm right in the middle of the action not blocking our own chargers shots. Hell i'm right in the middle of the action with the hero charger most the time.

It honestly felt like i was being paired up with the least aggressive players available. Most matches the opponents had team members practically playing in our base the whole time. I have photographic evidence of my losing streak, evidence that shows how infuriatingly unbalanced each losing match was (surprisingly I did well most of the time).
My favorite moment was when I decide to switch to the nzap and my teammates are then dominated by a single sniper. It's way too much work being an nzap going after a sniper in Arrowana mall while his teammates protect him (unlike mine). So I go back to prep my e-liter and I get matched in a team with 2 other e-liters. WHAT?! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!? Why is the game still doing this!?

Constantly being killed from behind, not one match did a teammate of mine make it past mid stage into enemy territory.
Sigh I just don't understand, Am I the only one that wishes the point system factored in individual performance?

Also where can I sign up for an US East coast squad? I'm tired of going solo.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
So I was going to go on here to talk about how great Splatoon was today.

BUT NO.
NO NO NO.
THE GAME HAD TO **** ME.
SO I PLAYED RAINMAKER. BIG ****ING MISTAKE.
I GOT TO S 94. 94! GREAT! I LOVE SPLAT ZONES! ME AND MY TRUSTY LUNA KICKED ***!
BUT THE GODS OF RNG MUST HAVE SEEN THIS, AND DECIDED, "F.UCK THAT GUY. LET'S GIVE HIM RAINMAKER. AT FLOUNDER HEIGHTS.
AS AN ADDED BONUS, WE'LL GIVE HIM MUSEUM D' ALFONSO, BUT HE'LL NEVER ACTUALLY GET TO PLAY ON IT."

MY *******, KNOWING THAT I AM ABSOLUTE GARBAGE AT RAINMAKER, THOUGHT "SOUNDS GREAT! I'LL NEVER GET BETTER AT RAINMAKER IF I DON'T PLAY IT!" WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID WAS "THE LUNA DOESN'T HAVE THE SUFFICIENT RANGE TO BE OF ANY USE AGAINST THE PLETHORA OF SPLATTERSHOTS AND DUAL SQUELCHERS OUT THERE, NOT TO MENTION THE COWARDLY LITTLE ROLLERS THAT LIKE TO LIE IN WAIT FOR YOU (EVEN THOUGH I DO THE EXACT SAME THING WITH THE LUNA), I SHOULD BACK OFF, AND DO SOMETHING ELSE."

I ****ING SWEAR. I PLAYED MUSEUM D' ALFONSO FOUR TIMES. OUT OF 50 (ROUGHLY, YOU CAN'T EXPECT ME TO COUNT IT, BUT I GUARANTEE THAT 50 ISN'T MUCH OF AN EXAGGERATION). THERE'S MY FIRST PROBLEM. THERE'S NO WAY THAT'S RANDOM. I'M NOT SAYING THERE'S SOME GAME DEVELOPER OUT TO GET ME, BUT THAT THIS GAME'S MATCHUP CALCULATOR IS COMPLETE TRASH. 4 A RANKS AND 4 S RANKS? SURE, LETS PUT 3 S RANKS ON ONE SIDE, AND ONE ON THE OTHER. THAT'S A FAIR MATCHUP. LETS MAKE SURE EVERY SNIPER IS ON THE SAME TEAM TOO. OH YEAH, DON'T FORGET THAT EVERY ****** THAT HAS A BUBBLER NEEDS TO BE ON THE SAME TEAM, WE CAN'T HAVE THIS GUY WINNING.

AND DON'T EVEN ****ING GET ME STARTED ON THE HORSESHIT THAT IS THEIR POINT SYSTEM. WOW, MY FIRST WIN AFTER LIKE 10 LOSSES! AGAINST TWO S+ RANKS, WHEN WE JUST HAD NORMAL S RANKS! SWEET! oh. 4 points.
DAMNIT! I LOST AGAIN! WE HAD TWO A+ RANKS AND TWO S RANKS, AND THEY HAD ONE A AND A+ RANK INSTEAD OF TWO A+ RANKS. oh. -8 points. YEAH. OKAY. SURE. WHATEVER. NO PROBLEM.

AGGGGHHHHH GO **** YOURSELF SPLATOON! I'M OVER THIS ****! THIS IS THE 7TH GOD DAMN TIME THAT YOU'VE PUT ME UP INTO THE 90'S, ONLY TO DROP ME ALL THE WAY ****ING DOWN. GREAT, NOW I'M BACK TO S 40. IT ONLY TOOK MILLIONS OF +2 VICTORIES TO EVEN GET NEAR YOU, BUT NOOOOOOO. WE CAN'T HAVE THAT! THANKS AGAIN! ONCE AGAIN, I SCREWED MYSELF. ONCE AGAIN, I SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT JUST BECAUSE I WANTED TO PLAY SPLATOON A LITTLE LONGER. ONCE AGAIN, I LET MY PRIDE GET COMPLETELY CRUSHED AS I REALIZE HOW HORRIBLE IT IS THAT I'M GETTING THIS ****ING ANGRY AT A ****ING VIDEO GAME. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO ANGRY IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I REALLY WISH THAT SOMETHING COULD BE DONE TO FIX RANKED MODE, BUT I'M NOT EVEN ALL THAT CONFIDENT THAT IT IS ALL THAT BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. WAS IT REALLY JUST BAD LUCK?

Best wishes, Ethan Salinas~

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I play e-liter and hero charger replica. This game feels so broken some days. I don't know what the algorithm is but I agree with jsilva on this, it seems like the matchmaking sometimes greatly affects and fosters a losing streak.
At first I thought maybe I'm raging and that's bringing down my performance... but to end the last match at 15:2 with teammates scoring - 6:11, 8:6, AND 1:5... not to sound arrogant but I doubt it's me. We literally lost the zone by one point because no one finished inking the area.
I'm a charger, I'm taking people out left and right... teammates are off trying to charge their special. How dense are these players!? and i'm sorry but I seem to have such crappy luck with Asian players, they're always terrible on my team. Shooters jumping in front of me to shoot ink from a ledge! When I use the nzap you better believe I'm right in the middle of the action not blocking our own chargers shots. Hell i'm right in the middle of the action with the hero charger most the time.

It honestly felt like i was being paired up with the least aggressive players available. Most matches the opponents had team members practically playing in our base the whole time. I have photographic evidence of my losing streak, evidence that shows how infuriatingly unbalanced each losing match was (surprisingly I did well most of the time).
My favorite moment was when I decide to switch to the nzap and my teammates are then dominated by a single sniper. It's way too much work being an nzap going after a sniper in Arrowana mall while his teammates protect him (unlike mine). So I go back to prep my e-liter and I get matched in a team with 2 other e-liters. WHAT?! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!? Why is the game still doing this!?

Constantly being killed from behind, not one match did a teammate of mine make it past mid stage into enemy territory.
Sigh I just don't understand, Am I the only one that wishes the point system factored in individual performance?

Painful drop ... sorry man :(

I'm on the east coast and Isan is really close. I can't speak for Isan but I'd be happy to play with you. I'll make a friend request from my two accounts. I've been wanting to play squad battles but haven't yet.

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
Im currently having a bay day. Its seems nobody on my team can do ****. The salt is high.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Yo I feel isan you cant JUST brush it off like that man like you lose your skill when ur roasting ***** of other squids I frikin hate splatoon cause of that ****! and you should be able to vchange in an online match to waste less time, like squad battles
Um, I'm sorry? I can't tell if you're upset with me or not for ranting. That's the whole purpose of this thread though, so if you are upset, you could rant about it.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu

Welcome to the club, my friend. I know exactly how you feel with the bullshit weapon matchups, and especially the crap teammates. With the Luna (Rainmaker at Museum d' Alfonso), I snuck up from the side and took out ALL FOUR of the enemy teammates, and what was my squad doing? Squid partying because I got a quadruple kill. THEY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE RAINMAKER, WE STILL LOST.

Going off of what jsilva was saying, I'm UTC 4 right now, but pretty soon I'll be moving back to Arizona. In the meantime, I'd be happy to play with you, if you'd like. A sniper and a blaster make a pretty good combo.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Just had probably the stupidest series of games ever...

It was so obviously the case that I was being matched on weaker teams repeatedly. I really want a challenge where I have to work hard, that's fun, even if I lose. What I experienced was not fun.

The stupidity happened to my daughter yesterday too. She sunk from B+ down to B despite playing well in the games relative to the other players. To make her feel better I decided to play on her account to get her back up to B+ but I lost my first game because my team was so weak! Really?! That's how determined Splatoon's losing agenda is that I can't even carry a B team because the teams are so imbalanced! That was no accident. She is back up to B+ at least, which is where she belongs. Me, I'm down to S 8 on my 'fun' account which wasn't so fun today.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Just had probably the stupidest series of games ever...

It was so obviously the case that I was being matched on weaker teams repeatedly. I really want a challenge where I have to work hard, that's fun, even if I lose. What I experienced was not fun.

The stupidity happened to my daughter yesterday too. She sunk from B+ down to B despite playing well in the games relative to the other players. To make her feel better I decided to play on her account to get her back up to B+ but I lost my first game because my team was so weak! Really?! That's how determined Splatoon's losing agenda is that I can't even carry a B team because the teams are so imbalanced! That was no accident. She is back up to B+ at least, which is where she belongs. Me, I'm down to S 8 on my 'fun' account which wasn't so fun today.
On December 17, 2015, new update data for the Splatoon game will become available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Wii U console is connected to the Internet.

Matchmaking adjustments
  • In Regular Battle and Splatfest, players of similar skill will be matched more often.

This is a snippet of the 2.4.0 patch notes. It seems like our suspicions were correct, they do match players together based on how they're playing. I don't know if this includes Rainmaker or not, but it sure feels like it. It's a decent idea, always giving players a challenging fight. But in practice, all it's done is put all of the weaker players together for a slaughterhouse, one where you're either lucky and didn't get thrown in it, or where you're in for a bad time.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
On December 17, 2015, new update data for the Splatoon game will become available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Wii U console is connected to the Internet.

Matchmaking adjustments
  • In Regular Battle and Splatfest, players of similar skill will be matched more often.

This is a snippet of the 2.4.0 patch notes. It seems like our suspicions were correct, they do match players together based on how they're playing. I don't know if this includes Rainmaker or not, but it sure feels like it. It's a decent idea, always giving players a challenging fight. But in practice, all it's done is put all of the weaker players together for a slaughterhouse, one where you're either lucky and didn't get thrown in it, or where you're in for a bad time.
Interestingly, with both of my accounts (which as you may remember are both start-overs after deleting my first account) I was intelligently matched in regular battles. By level 6 or 7 I was always being matched with level 35 and higher, often all level 50 lobbies. I was confused when I read those notes when they were released because it felt like it was already matching well!

I'm quite certain it doesn't apply to ranked battles however.

Speaking of losing streaks, mine continued when I played later tonight, as low as A+ 24! Evidence it's not random? The first time in all my games that I was on the higher ranked team the S on my team went 0/8...against A's and A+'s. Just one of numerous small examples that losing streaks are not accidental. Hopefully I'll get back up to S soon. This was supposed to be my fun account, still not so fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom