• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How many of us have made it in to A+ Rank in Splatzones?

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
A lot of people do. It can get out of hand really, the complaining. the most I do is just say "Come on" or "BS" to myself, then move on after a few seconds. It's just not worth it and you can only blame Nintendo for it. The main reason I don't like playing Rollers is because of how badly the online is in their favor. But until Ninty patches the net-code and not make it dip almost everyone's connection, it'll be a reoccurring problem

Honestly imo you have all the rights in the world complaining about lag if, say, you get splatted out of thin air and the enemy is clearly somewhere completely else far off. That stuff is infuriating. You shouldn't complain about lag if there's plausibility and your death could have been preventable in one way or another. Generally though, calling johns is pretty much a constant in every rank of gaming, beginners or experts. Human nature.

ThatSrb2DUDE

Senior Squid
NNID
ThatSrb2DUDE
I don't claim to understand exactly what goes into this game's netcode or precisely how much your distance from others affects latency (from a mathematical standpoint), but I have to wonder how Nintendo would be able to address this issue at all, short of lobbying entire countries to improve their Internet infrastructure. I do agree that latency does help rollers (and to some extent blasters) more than it should, however. Way too many "you are already dead" scenarios to be acceptable for, say, a tournament environment down the road. At least the Kraken itself is getting nerfed.
The main reason for why it happens is because I'm a person in England that always connects in to Japanese hosts/lobbies. The one day when the Japan had there Splatfest I had no problems because the majority of the time I was connecting to EU & NA.

Power

Inkling Commander
After playing some splatzones today I encountered worse lag than I ever had before. Is there a way for Nintendo to fix this or is it just the reality of a worldwide online game.?

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Personally got to A- a few days ago, I personally don't think I will stay at A+ , if I get there, but as long as I'm an A, its fine with me.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Interesting. It must be because of the high traffic on Nintys already mediocre servers.
it's the opposite. there aren't many A rank players, and people who have hit A rank don't necessarily stick around (either because they just wanted to get A and be done, or they don't find ranked interesting anymore). as such whatever matchmaking there is can't pair you up with people from your general area because there are no people from your general area. as such, those few laggy players who spoil games are more likely to end up in your game and not someone else's.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
So from what I've read... It's a monster getting past B+... It seems I've confirmed that B+ is that void that no one returns from.
What's your general plan on chokepoint-heavy maps like mackerel and mall? What about vertical maps like blackbelly and saltspray?

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
What's your general plan on chokepoint-heavy maps like mackerel and mall? What about vertical maps like blackbelly and saltspray?
Generally I don't like to jump in by myself and without consideration of opponents. Typically, I wait for an ally to come to my side and we both push forward. I personally like throwing bombs (My abilities let me throw more and farther bombs) so placing those well can scare the enemy back. My aim with the actual gun is absolutely terrible, so I would mostly provide cover fire for the teammate that I'm buddying with. As for Saltspray and Blackbelly, those are stupidly easy for me to win on to be quite honest. On Blackbelly, I can essentially constantly throw bombs in the zones, and Saltspray I sit on the ramp that leads north from the Splat Zone.

So I guess my startegy is to stay back and stay alive and shoot from afar mostly to help out teammates. I realize my rank would be waaaay higher if my aim wasn't so god damn atrocious... I should probably start running rollers...

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Generally I don't like to jump in by myself and without consideration of opponents. Typically, I wait for an ally to come to my side and we both push forward
perhaps you should consider pincering rather than lining up to be destroyed.

come in from a different angle and you will be able to cut off escape routes and you won't both die to a single tentatek spray.

you have the right instincts (i.e. not facerushing) but two people in the same place is not as good of an idea as it might sound

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
So from what I've read... It's a monster getting past B+... It seems I've confirmed that B+ is that void that no one returns from.
I actually was A/60 at my highest point and now have fallen into B+

I swear, i'm sick and tired of not even licking A+...

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I managed to get to A+ 99 on my main account. Im gonna go for it again on my alt once it reaches level 10

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
perhaps you should consider pincering rather than lining up to be destroyed.

come in from a different angle and you will be able to cut off escape routes and you won't both die to a single tentatek spray.

you have the right instincts (i.e. not facerushing) but two people in the same place is not as good of an idea as it might sound
Perhaps I didn't make it clear: That's what I try to avoid and it's what I meant by "keeping my distance"

All in all though, I'm just bad at the game and am in no way blaming my failures on my team.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
it's the opposite. there aren't many A rank players, and people who have hit A rank don't necessarily stick around (either because they just wanted to get A and be done, or they don't find ranked interesting anymore). as such whatever matchmaking there is can't pair you up with people from your general area because there are no people from your general area. as such, those few laggy players who spoil games are more likely to end up in your game and not someone else's.
I can't speak for lag because I've been getting some good connection today.
But what I have been seeing is a ton of players ranging from A+ to B+ which searching in A-.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
I'm an Inkbrush and Rapid Blaster main who's A+ 99. Yeet.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Yesterday I got dropped consistently on C rooms (I was B- originally) with EU guys, so in 3 hours I made it from B- to A+. I had some crazy K/D scores (26-3, 22-2, 20-0...) and I could totally dominate every match, I only lost like 2 or 3 times in the whole session. The C guys were really weak with a few exceptions and were consistently repeating the same mistakes: squid jumping to the middle of the Splat Zone, shooting to the floor instead of right ahead, not using alternate routes...I changed lobbies 2 or 3 times but I always ended in C rooms, with some Bs and B+s. Curiously I think I was the only one who ranked up, the B guys all fell into C and no C got promoted to B during my playtime.

So, great that I´m A+ now, but at the same time I feel it´s undeserved due to not fighting real opposition. Still, much better than being the only EU guy in a full japanese room with lag. It´s really frustrating to hit one guy 5 times with a .52 Gal and have him survive and splat you in return.

Let´s see if I can make it to 99 points in real A rooms.

Power

Inkling Commander
Yesterday I got dropped consistently on C rooms (I was B- originally) with EU guys, so in 3 hours I made it from B- to A+. I had some crazy K/D scores (26-3, 22-2, 20-0...) and I could totally dominate every match, I only lost like 2 or 3 times in the whole session. The C guys were really weak with a few exceptions and were consistently repeating the same mistakes: squid jumping to the middle of the Splat Zone, shooting to the floor instead of right ahead, not using alternate routes...I changed lobbies 2 or 3 times but I always ended in C rooms, with some Bs and B+s. Curiously I think I was the only one who ranked up, the B guys all fell into C and no C got promoted to B during my playtime.

So, great that I´m A+ now, but at the same time I feel it´s undeserved due to not fighting real opposition. Still, much better than being the only EU guy in a full japanese room with lag. It´s really frustrating to hit one guy 5 times with a .52 Gal and have him survive and splat you in return.

Let´s see if I can make it to 99 points in real A rooms.
And when you do get to that A+ 99, I would suggest challenging yourself even more by trying new weapons and such. :D

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
My brother's an A+ 99 with his Krak-On Roller
Idk if that's common

All we see are Japanese players when he plays ranked oddly enough. He thinks NA players that are A+ are scarce and a myth

Wobbles

Inkling
NNID
confetti720
I kind of want to stream a bit and try to teach people some basic strategies and tactics that I see most people (even in the A- through A+ ranks) fail to do. Maybe do a C- -> A+ stream to show stuff in action. Would that be interesting for people?

Mostly I want to explain the most common errors I see that cause people to throw games away.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
And when you do get to that A+ 99, I would suggest challenging yourself even more by trying new weapons and such. :D
I´m constantly trying new weapons, though when things get serious I always fall back to my .52Gal, Kelp charger or Elite 3K depending on the map rotation. I´ve been liking the Blasters recently but they´re impossible to use in laggy rooms, with such low firing speeds if a hit doesn´t register you´re dead meat :( I always perform poorly with any Roller, InkBrush or Nozzlenose, so any f those would be a real challenge :D

Anyway, yesterday I couldn´t find a good room, it was all japanese guys all over again. I don´t know if it´s just me but I really think the lag problem is getting worse, the past days it´s really hard to find a lag free room. I´m not a super player, if my hits don´t register how am I supposed to fight against A+ guys? Yesterday I sniped a guy with a fully charged Elite shot, I even got the "zing" sound you get when you kill someone...well, he just went on as if nothing happened, turned Kraken and killed all my team in the Splat Zone. In almost every match I get instances where I need to hit a guy 4 or 5 times with the .52 Gal to kill him and I´m using several Damage Ups in my gear so everyone should die in 2 hits.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I kind of want to stream a bit and try to teach people some basic strategies and tactics that I see most people (even in the A- through A+ ranks) fail to do. Maybe do a C- -> A+ stream to show stuff in action. Would that be interesting for people?

Mostly I want to explain the most common errors I see that cause people to throw games away.
I could literally write up something tomorrow on this and post it but yes, this would help because I want to see (and maybe compare) if we're all thinking the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom