I'm sick of ________

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Carl's infinite is not only difficult to set up, it's difficult to continue the timing for extended periods of time. Carl will slowly move backwards as he's doing it, so the player has to adjust Carl so he remains where he is. In addition, Carl is in midair during this infinite combo, and the move has him hover in the air until it's done. The timing has to be pretty much frame-precise so he stays hovering, or at least doesn't fall too far down that the infinite combo breaks. That being said, this move is also a grab, so it's not prone to damage-scaling. About six cycles will do in Ragna, and about 12 cycles will do in Tager. (In short, it's not an instant win button, but something that takes great practice and dedication to do. Still extremely infuriating if you're on the receiving end of it though.)

Carl no longer has either infinite from Continuum Shift and onwards, and instead he and Ada get special abilities that help deal with what were once major problems for Carl players (such as Ada automatically deflecting all projectiles that hit her as long as she's active). As a result, Carl now plays more normally, using his entire repertoire of moves instead of just two.

I don't care much about winning or losing in Splatoon, especially Turf War, but I know some people care really, really much. They're the sort who'll throw tantrums and throw the GamePad at the screen if they get in a losing streak. They'll blame you if you wander off and let the spawn-camping break (though personally, I don't care about that either), though when the situation happens, I just go somewhere else as they pretty much have the situation covered.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Carl's infinite is not only difficult to set up, it's difficult to continue the timing for extended periods of time. Carl will slowly move backwards as he's doing it, so the player has to adjust Carl so he remains where he is. In addition, Carl is in midair during this infinite combo, and the move has him hover in the air until it's done. The timing has to be pretty much frame-precise so he stays hovering, or at least doesn't fall too far down that the infinite combo breaks. That being said, this move is also a grab, so it's not prone to damage-scaling. About six cycles will do in Ragna, and about 12 cycles will do in Tager. (In short, it's not an instant win button, but something that takes great practice and dedication to do. Still extremely infuriating if you're on the receiving end of it though.)

Carl no longer has either infinite from Continuum Shift and onwards, and instead he and Ada get special abilities that help deal with what were once major problems for Carl players (such as Ada automatically deflecting all projectiles that hit her as long as she's active). As a result, Carl now plays more normally, using his entire repertoire of moves instead of just two.

I don't care much about winning or losing in Splatoon, especially Turf War, but I know some people care really, really much. They're the sort who'll throw tantrums and throw the GamePad at the screen if they get in a losing streak. They'll blame you if you wander off and let the spawn-camping break (though personally, I don't care about that either), though when the situation happens, I just go somewhere else as they pretty much have the situation covered.
Ugh, at least that stupid combo is no longer there, then. I'd nearly forgotten about the horrid thing until you mentioned it. That was the first I'd heard of it being intentional though. Here's hoping they dont do that again...

And yeah, it's kinda sad that some people that play Splatoon (or whatever can get so freaking angry about a loss. It makes me think of watching people play Dota / League / Smite online, and seeing how frequently angry and aggravated they are. And really, I.... just dont get it. Why play the game in question if you're not having a good time at all? What's the point?

I mean, I can understand some frustration when something goes wrong in a ranked mode. Particularly when you can genuinely attribute it to the fact that you're playing with randoms. But if someone's getting that angry even in non-ranked modes.... they seriously need to take a break and step away for awhile. I mean, really, that sort of behavior isnt really acceptable.

This is why I just leave if the game is forcing me into those few stupid maps I hate: my enjoyment of the game goes out the window and is replaced by hate, so there's no point in still going forward and just creating lots of anger. Alot of people though, would keep playing anyway, despite that....

rndethan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rndmuch
I'm sick of when you're in the lead in rainmaker and one of your dumb teammates decides to bring the rainmaker all the way back to your side, just for other team to take him/her out and quickly grab the rainmaker to get the lead...

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
And yeah, it's kinda sad that some people that play Splatoon (or whatever can get so freaking angry about a loss. It makes me think of watching people play Dota / League / Smite online, and seeing how frequently angry and aggravated they are. And really, I.... just dont get it. Why play the game in question if you're not having a good time at all? What's the point?

I mean, I can understand some frustration when something goes wrong in a ranked mode. Particularly when you can genuinely attribute it to the fact that you're playing with randoms. But if someone's getting that angry even in non-ranked modes.... they seriously need to take a break and step away for awhile. I mean, really, that sort of behavior isnt really acceptable.

This is why I just leave if the game is forcing me into those few stupid maps I hate: my enjoyment of the game goes out the window and is replaced by hate, so there's no point in still going forward and just creating lots of anger. Alot of people though, would keep playing anyway, despite that....
They play these games because they want to win. They want to rub it in other people's faces that they've won. They want to feel superior to someone else. They have a strong competitive streak that causes them to really enjoy victory but in exchange really detest losses. You see this in all sorts of games at all levels of play--remember the Zidane headbutt at the end of the 2010 World Cup? (This was shortly after the finals, when the players were walking off the field. A team member from the winning team did a courteous "good game" wave to Zidane, and Zidane, apparently incredibly angry, headbutted the guy in the gut, knocking him to the floor.)

These people play to scratch that itch. They have a powerful urge to win. It's better that they're doing it over sports or video games (or board games, or pinball, or some other kind of game--these types exist in all of them), because without that kind of outlet where no real harm is done, they're going to take it out on other people when not playing, and that inevitably becomes violent. In half of all **** cases where the police caught the rapist, they discovered the rapist to do so to dominate over someone else--in other words, to "win." (This is known as "power ****." A similar type, "anger ****," which is **** to vent frustration over an unrelated grievance, makes up about 40% of cases. This means only one-tenth of all rapes is truly done primarily for sexual satisfaction.) This same mindset is also the prevailing reason for random killers, spree killers, and arsonists.

I'm not saying that they'll all become rapists, murderers, and arsonists--most would just resort to simple bullying or something else that's small. What I mean is that there probably ARE a number of people who would become criminals had they not found some sort of game to be a source of their need to feel superior.

As for why they feel the need to feel superior? There are many reasons. Maybe they're at the bottom of the social ladder when not playing, whether in school, at work, or at home. Inversely, maybe they're at the TOP of the social ladder and that these games are the one thing that can make them feel inferior. Or maybe that's just how their personalities are and they either don't realize or don't care that they're messing up other people's experience.

Let me tell you something: I quit playing in tournaments for the Pokémon Trading Card Game because of these people. They will do ANYTHING in order to win. This includes having their friends be judges (no official needs to know), using a deck-shuffling technique that keeps their cards in the same order, and employing a number of psychological tricks to disrupt your rhythm and make you nervous. Basically, these guys are more or less practicing gamesmanship, a technique to winning games by tricking the opponent into not playing at their best. Though maybe it's best you don't read that, because it could make your blood boil.

I'm sick of when you're in the lead in rainmaker and one of your dumb teammates decides to bring the rainmaker all the way back to your side, just for other team to take him/her out and quickly grab the rainmaker to get the lead...
Oh yeah, that reminds me: I've seen a few people who, when they get the Rainmaker, will wander about directionlessly, usually somewhere near the middle of the stage, and if no opponents are around, will just hide in ink and sit there.

I'm guessing these people mistake the countdown over the Rainmaker for the goal.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Well, this thread kinda turned south...

Though, there is something I've been getting sick of lately: the way the game handles "random". There are plenty of times in private battles where we can end up with the same gametype or the same teams. Kind of irritating.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
They play these games because they want to win. They want to rub it in other people's faces that they've won. They want to feel superior to someone else. They have a strong competitive streak that causes them to really enjoy victory but in exchange really detest losses. You see this in all sorts of games at all levels of play--remember the Zidane headbutt at the end of the 2010 World Cup? (This was shortly after the finals, when the players were walking off the field. A team member from the winning team did a courteous "good game" wave to Zidane, and Zidane, apparently incredibly angry, headbutted the guy in the gut, knocking him to the floor.)
I disagree with a lot of things about Bartle's Theory, especially about Killers/Clubs. I think of that particular branch of people as players who are interested in competitive play and tournaments, rather than people who are just into petty sadism. It's about dominance, yes, but not so much about griefing and more figuring out a way to win the game. A killer by bartle's definition wouldn't say "gg", yet it's still a very common gesture. Losses shouldn't bother killers that much since it'll allow them to re-evaluate their weaknesses. They differ from achievers because they don't have a fixed goal in mind, they just want to get better playing against other players.

I still think it's kind of silly to dedicate an entire class of players to griefers when in reallity they really aren't common. Griefers are a breed of people who would rather hack the game or find creative curse-words to upset others, basically ruin the experience and not nessecarily play the game by it's own rules at all.

And if i'm being honest here, playing videogames and raping aren't related in the slightest so why did you bring that up? That's kind of wierd.

Last edited:

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
Not only that, but it was Rainmaker too! I

And if i'm being honest here, playing videogames and raping aren't related in the slightest so why did you bring that up? That's kind of wierd.
ear **** by the five years playing CoD (or the dude spaming c'mon)

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
I'm sick of the last second Kraken
I can't stress this enough.

Oh and as far as camping goes, I'm for it. Yeah it's cheap and annoying, but if your team is doing so bad that they are pushed back to the spawn then it's a competitive force that tells you "I deserve this."

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I was my friend who is significantly lower level than me, and I am playing the vanilla splattershot. It's his lobby, so most of the players are low level and C rank or lower. One of our guys disconnected, so I rush to their spawn and keep them there the whole game (I let up with about 30 seconds left). I went 17-0. I felt REALLY bad afterword. I wouldn't want someone doing that to me.

I think I might have said this before, but I'm sick of getting put in S and S+ lobbies in Turf War. I'm only A- and I go to TW to relax a bit. I don't always want to play on the edge of my seat in every mode. I can barely keep up sometimes.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
The only thing that's more annoying then getting stuck on a tiny pixel of enemy ink is probably getting body-blocked by your allies. Even worse if you (and the ally that body-blocked you) gets splatted because the ally in front of you blocked all of your shots. :\

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I kind of disliked N-ZAPs before (despite using the '89 a fair bit) because of their deceptive range, but now that they are way faster, oy gevald and I happy when I splat them.

I still use the '89, though. Can't beat 'em? Join 'em!

Also getting kind of sick of having a level 50 in every match. I'm a level 34, I'm middling, it's really hard to play and learn when I'm getting blasted from every direction by people who have way more experience than me. The best matches are always the ones that are close and between equally experience teams, and I wish the matchmaking took that into account.

I mean, I got dumped into a lobby that had SIX level 50s in it, one 34 (moi), and one 23. I think I was alive a grand total of twelve seconds.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I disagree with a lot of things about Bartle's Theory, especially about Killers/Clubs. I think of that particular branch of people as players who are interested in competitive play and tournaments, rather than people who are just into petty sadism. It's about dominance, yes, but not so much about griefing and more figuring out a way to win the game. A killer by bartle's definition wouldn't say "gg", yet it's still a very common gesture. Losses shouldn't bother killers that much since it'll allow them to re-evaluate their weaknesses. They differ from achievers because they don't have a fixed goal in mind, they just want to get better playing against other players.

I still think it's kind of silly to dedicate an entire class of players to griefers when in reallity they really aren't common. Griefers are a breed of people who would rather hack the game or find creative curse-words to upset others, basically ruin the experience and not nessecarily play the game by it's own rules at all.

That's fine. Bartle's Taxonomy came from the early 90's, and the gaming landscape has changed since. It does make me wonder though, since the games back then had no anonymity, how he found so many instances of offline GIFT.

Playing video games is a way to vent off a type of frustration or to expend energy that, otherwise, could be directed at people. I must admit that violent criminals are a worst-case scenario though; far more common is mundane stuff like bullying and general sociopathy.

Bowrock

Inkster Jr.
NNID
N.Bowrock
I'm sick of lag. S-rank is impossible because of it.
What is the point of a weapon that is supposed to kill in two hits if you need to hit the opponent six times to splat them?
I'm sick of japanese players splatting me without emerging from their ink, too.

mimasho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mimasho
I'm sick of no one on my team touching the RM and not clearing the path when I grab it...
it's like...they want me to protect them all because I have the rainmaker ? ; A ;
(they're all A ranked or higher so they should know better ? either way rip my rank again)
Also sick of losing 12 points because someone on my team DC's 20 seconds into ranked -___-

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
ELiters on Moray at any mode, are you against fun?
And people spamming "C'mon!" (Which would be "To Me!" in other regions) when they are in the enemy's turf and they get splatted which in turn gets me splatted once I super jump to them.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara

Dont be so sure.

My experience with genuine competitive gaming communities is that, for the most part, they are one *NASTY* group. I cant emphasize that word strongly enough. I mean, holy hell. It's the sort of thing that makes one weep for humanity as a whole, after witnessing the sad, pathetic depths that SO VERY MANY within said communities will sink to.

Much of what I've seen is from the fighting game genre (and let me tell you, it's BAD), but that one is not even remotely close to being the worst of it.

But yeah, a huge number of people like that really do indeed do it just to be able to lord over someone else, to "put someone in their place", to be at the top of the pile.... and this includes during "friendly" matches against totally new players. They'll get in as many insults and such as they possibly can, and if there's a chance to use a cheap mechanic or a glitch to make the newbie even more embarassed? Of COURSE they'll do it!

I cant even count how many times I"ve witnessed this. It's downright depressing.

The only good part about it is the seriously amazing satisfaction that comes from defeating someone who is acting like that. It's... absolutely priceless.

I mean, I can understand being competitive... but "being competitive" does not = "being a total *******". Good luck explaining that to alot of them though... sigh

ELiters on Moray at any mode, are you against fun?
And people spamming "C'mon!" (Which would be "To Me!" in other regions) when they are in the enemy's turf and they get splatted which in turn gets me splatted once I super jump to them.

Bah, Moray ITSELF is against fun.

Or at least, that's how I've constantly seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom