Is anyone else bummed about Splatoon's interactivity?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Man that sucks. My computer is a laptop so I don't have that problem. ;(
Mine is too, but the screen and keyboard are mostly broken so I have to use a usb keyboard/monitor. :(

I really don't think we should have to rely on 3rd party software to get voice chat. Why doesn't Nintendo implement a friend voice chat system across the entire Wii U? It would make sense.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
But there is custom rooms! Just no custom settings like respawn time. ;)
Whoops, yeah, that's what I meant. I would have liked to see custom rules in the custom rooms, but honestly not that big of deal.

Would it be possible to use skype on a phone (assuming you have a smartphone and wifi of course) or something? It's still a bigger bother and I can totally understand why you'd want that feature built in tho.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Last time I checked, the mobile version of Skype was pretty finicky. Even with Wi-Fi it had a habit of lagging or disconnecting. But that was a looooooong time ago, so I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
mobile skype makes me perform a blood sacrifice every time i boot it, am i the only person who has this problem? :confused:

i'm pretty pissed about the lack of control we have over the online experience, too. i think there's a lot of overreaction to it, though. on any other site about splatoon there's not a single thread without someone saying this game is going to die without voice chat. while i wish we could just mute people and move on with our day, i think the outrage behind some of the decisions made in splatoon's development are undeserved

i also wish we could make private lobbies with custom rulesets :/

Lyn

Premium
mobile skype makes me perform a blood sacrifice every time i boot it, am i the only person who has this problem? :confused:

i'm pretty pissed about the lack of control we have over the online experience, too. i think there's a lot of overreaction to it, though. on any other site about splatoon there's not a single thread without someone saying this game is going to die without voice chat. while i wish we could just mute people and move on with our day, i think the outrage behind some of the decisions made in splatoon's development are undeserved

i also wish we could make private lobbies with custom rulesets :/
Yeah, Skype is mean.
Also, that's a big issue I have. People saying "What would you need to change???", like, do they not realise the point of custom games.. Play any FPS game.

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
For online shooters I feel I rarely use voice chat at all when playing with random people in matchmaking and ends up being more of a distraction to me.
And I'm fine with no voice chat due to the obvious issue with game being kid friendly. Though, yeah I wish Nintendo would make some kind of Friend-Only Party Chat. Would be a really good compromise and I just really like chatting with friends even if we aren't playing in the same game.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I'm pretty much "indifferent" to "in agreement" with a lot of the lack of features Nintendo's announced. Like one of the game devs mentioned, there's "strategic communication" and "feeling communication" and there's not much you have to communicate in splatoon strategy-wise. You can see where all the ink is going and you have pretty much the same objective each time. Plus they mentioned that there are "Pings" you can do with the control pad to point out things to your teammates; i think it'll be fine on the "strategy communication" sans-voice chat. For everything else, well... I wouldn't really want to chat with strangers but that's just me - I'd prefer to skype with friends if anything.

As for not being able to adjust camera sensitivity in-game, I don't think it'll be a big deal; you'll mess around with it at first and then it'll be done. That's something they ought to fix though

And as far as not being able to set up custom matches, well... that is kinda limited, but at least you can have friend lobbies.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
I feel like in game chat isn't really necessary for the most part. Any group of four friends really planning on grinding rank would likely be communicating over a dedicated program for it, like Skype or Ventrilo. From Nintendo's perspective it's unquestionably the best bet to have no voice chat in an E10+ rated game as this prevents adults from harassing child players, and children from harassing each other when they play. Overall it keeps a cleaner and nicer in game environment than allowing in game chat. The lack of custom games with friends is a bit weird though, hopefully we'll get it in a patch down the road.

Locuan

Unofficial Squid Guru
I'd agree. Although as others have mentioned, it doesn't surprise me as it is a Nintendo IP. I wouldn't hold my breath but I do hope this changes in the future.

:227:

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
And here comes the reviews....

9.8/10 IGN "Too Much Ink"

Honestly since skype eats my sad excuse for bandwidth, I'll be using teamspeak.. d(T.T)b

In terms of Online modes, THEY NEED TO HAVE DEDICATED SERVERS, WITH SMART matchmaking and or region selection options. you can't just throw us in a game with people who our ping is like 300+. oh...and the game needs to show the connection quality. that's pretty important.
But considering how casual this game looks to be, they probably won't have it because "The average player won't care about it...."

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I agree with cyber. That info isn't necessary especially for nintendo ppl who are usually are pretty young.
But i wish the private rooms is possible
I've played a fair few in my day. TF2, L4D / L4D2, Killing Floor, Unreal Tournament...
sry random but Unreal Tournament?! I played that game til it died

Lyn

Premium
I'd agree. Although as others have mentioned, it doesn't surprise me as it is a Nintendo IP. I wouldn't hold my breath but I do hope this changes in the future.

:227:
Yeah, this stuff is super important for the game and it upsets me that Nintendo is overlooking it.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i said it on the squidboards beta, but no voice chat isn't as big of a deal as people think it is

games of splat zones only go for around 5 minutes and rarely into overtime, and during that amount of time the game is very hectic... the most you could really say is "hey, go into their flank," or "everyone get on the point," and there's pings for that on the d-pad. any serious teams would use a 3rd party voip like mumble or teamspeak to begin with

i do feel like voice chat should be in a game by default, and splatoon could've just included a mute option, but it's not some game killing huge deal like i've seen it made out to be

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
From what I seen, I decided to hold my purchase and wait to see what else they will offer. I just hope the IP sells from all the crap Nintendo did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom