• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is anyone else bummed about Splatoon's interactivity?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Well if something as tiny as voice chat's exclusion calls you off a whole game, I can't help but cal you petty and have your priorities shot out of wack. I've seen people say that, completely throwing out what they liked about the game before voice chat was even mentioned.
I doubt anyone isn't buying the game JUST because of voice chat. I do know of people holding off because of the rest of the things, though. That or they just don't believe there would be enough content to keep them playing. Especially for $60.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
I tend to use Skype; built-in voice chat is generally bad in most onliners I've played. I really feel for people who can't use their PCs simultaneously with Wii U, however.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
We still have to consider, at least from a competitive standpoint, the pinging system is still there, and will definitely making planning and teamwork a lot of easier. As well, there's still Nintendo Network, and I'm sure there'll be a system in place so that you can add people that you recently played with, so if they seemed neat you can add them and socialize there, since there are some minor socializing aspects implemented in that, just a bit of pm'ing at least.

Solbliminal

Inkling
I tend to use Skype; built-in voice chat is generally bad in most onliners I've played. I really feel for people who can't use their PCs simultaneously with Wii U, however.
Pretty much this. The online community can get pretty nasty to their opponents. Especially older gamers who have no sense of morality or sympathy towards the younger audience. Skype is pretty much a go-to for team communication with your friends.

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
Well if something as tiny as voice chat's exclusion calls you off a whole game, I can't help but cal you petty and have your priorities shot out of wack. I've seen people say that, completely throwing out what they liked about the game before voice chat was even mentioned.
I said it's one of the reasons.

As a matter of fact, it's part of the bigger reason. I just don't feel this game has enough content. It feels like the game should be 20 or 30 bucks at least. I may as well wait until I can buy a used copy unless more content is shown.

At least this helps saves me money to build my PC.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I mean, when you look at it, it has about as much content as any normal AAA online game you see out here, CoD, even MK, yet people still find the $60 price point reasonable. I mean, you honestly can't expect AAA console games to have reasonable price points on release, really the only time that games go for less than even $40 is when they're indie games.

Undr

Nintendo is one of the few AAA developers who understand price to content ratios. Many other publishers throw a $60 price tag on all of their games despite their content. If Nintendo is charging $60 bucks than I'm willing to trust they're doing what they feel is fair. Keep in mind that that $60 also goes towards post release development as well. Patches, balancing, potentially free additions (MK8's 200cc for example), dedicated servers, ect...

Personally I never considered this game to be anything but a $60 title.

Lyn

Premium
I mean, when you look at it, it has about as much content as any normal AAA online game you see out here, CoD, even MK, yet people still find the $60 price point reasonable.
Well considering most people are bashing on those two specific games that doesn't say much..

I'm really confused about the $60 price as well. The fact that standard multiplayer elements are missing completely turn me off from this game. If I'm being honest, I can't see myself spending any more than $15 dollars MAX on a game of this nature that only has a handful of elements that I find interesting while not having such basic **** like custom games and voice chat.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
The $60 price point is pretty easy to understand when you realize that's all you're going to have to pay... ever. Unless you want potential DLC in the future.

Nintendo doesn't charge for use of its online services. The game itself has no subscription cost to play online. You'll be able to play this game online for as long as the Wii-U network is supported, which will be for several years. Nintendo has to factor in years of server maintenance with the cost of the game. It's not really a bad deal when you look at cheaper alternatives, which either hit you with paywalls or are full of advertisements...

Lyn

Premium
The $60 price point is pretty easy to understand when you realize that's all you're going to have to pay... ever. Unless you want potential DLC in the future.
DLC has already been confirmed... :/

I'm really confused about the $60 price as well. The fact that standard multiplayer elements are missing completely turn me off from this game. If I'm being honest, I can't see myself spending any more than $15 dollars MAX on a game of this nature that only has a handful of elements that I find interesting while not having such basic **** like custom games and voice chat.
I agree almost completely, while I'd say $15 is a lot cheaper than would be necessary I'd pay like $40 for it, not $60. :(

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
$40 is for spin-off titles like Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. Something where the foundation already existed and all they did was expand on it.

Splatoon is an entirely new IP that spent years in development. It is a total AAA experience. That can you can play online, for free, for the entire life of the console it's on.

Lyn

Premium
$40 is for spin-off titles like Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. Something where the foundation already existed and all they did was expand on it.

Splatoon is an entirely new IP that spent years in development. It is a total AAA experience. That can you can play online, for free, for the entire life of the console it's on.
Yes, but it doesn't really have enough announced content to be worth $60. Maybe that will change. Even the most basic shooters like COD have had more announced content since the first trailer than this unfortunately. :/

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I'm alright with the price-tag, so long as the quality is superb. even with the lack of some core multiplayer features..

Lyn

Premium
I'm alright with the price-tag, so long as the quality is superb. even with the lack of some core multiplayer features..
I'll see.. I'm not content with it yet, but they will hopefully announce more before the game is released.

Solbliminal

Inkling
I'll see.. I'm not content with it yet, but they will hopefully announce more before the game is released.
I'm pretty sure before this game was planned, they at one point were wanting to make it a Mario title to solidify the sales. And when it comes to most Mario games, you can almost always expect the best quality. The fact they didn't go the Mario cash in route shows that they have faith in this series as a standalone, so I'm positive the game will be worth its price.

Personally, I could care less that it is $60 or if it even gets paid DLC. As an artist aspiring to do game design myself, I can understand and appreciate the amount of care and attention that goes into games. Especially those of Nintendo's standards. Every bit of what I've seen is worth every penny of that $60 imho.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I'll still get it if it's $60 but I won't complain if they go with a lower price :scared:

The official Japanese Splatoon advertises it at 5700 yen, which is just under $50 USD, and I've seen it for as low as ~$35 USD on EU pre-order sites. Also, the official NA Splatoon page still isn't showing a price even though it looks like the site was updated recently, so there's still a chance for it to be <$60 on release. Maybe they haven't decided on a launch price for NA yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom