• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is anyone else bummed about Splatoon's interactivity?

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
I don't mind having voice chat off, it beats listening to some ten year old threatening to 'do' your mom.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Ugh I'm so sick of this voice chat crap it's not even giggle-able.
Well it's obvious it's important to a lot of players. Have you ever used Xbox Live? If you have, I'm sure you understand the importance of this.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I don't like the reasoning behind why they don't include voice chat it is insulting. Each interview have read so far just makes me less hype and me wonder why i supporting such foolishness. Nobody loses with a friend only option if your trying to appeal to everyone give people options.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I feel like in game chat isn't really necessary for the most part. Any group of four friends really planning on grinding rank would likely be communicating over a dedicated program for it, like Skype or Ventrilo. From Nintendo's perspective it's unquestionably the best bet to have no voice chat in an E10+ rated game as this prevents adults from harassing child players, and children from harassing each other when they play. Overall it keeps a cleaner and nicer in game environment than allowing in game chat. The lack of custom games with friends is a bit weird though, hopefully we'll get it in a patch down the road.
I'm gonna have to agree with this. Just to re-emphasize what I think is important, if you're going to be playing with your friends, you can likely figure out a way to talk to them while playing. Like, even if you can't use Skype or something of that nature, you can still likely set up something even like a group phone call or some such, it's definitely not outside the realm of possibilities. And I've found that Skype mobile, while not perfect, definitely isn't as bad as it used to be, and the call quality isn't too much worse than on a computer, from my experience.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of custom rooms. Well y'all say that you can set that up apparently but my question is if you can set up a game with both teams filled. If you can't, then that can really hurt the game from a competitive standpoint. If any organization wants to set up some third party competitive league, something similar to, say, UGC in TF2, they wouldn't really be able to do that if you can't set up a custom game of both teams, which could really suck for player who want that more competitive experience.

And I swear if my whole game lags because of one idiot in the server with bad ping I'm gonna scream to the moon. I don't think that will be the case, considering all other shooters only let the person with the poor connection feel the effects, but we'll have to hope.

Oni

Full Squid
everything probably already has been said but w/e

Would have muted EVERYone anyway so no voice chat is minor. can just use something else.

the apparent inability to make private matches or custom matches is a bit frustrating though. RIP any chance of competetive splatoon :rolleyes:

(loving the multiple Steven Universe avatars I have seen so far lol)

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
I have to say that I understand we have skype and raidcall but isn't the gaming community very social? Sure we got turds around but that doesn't take away the social aspect.

I don't even have that much friends I hang out IRL. Many of those I met while playing matches. That's another reason why voice chat should have been in the game. Even if the person is a stranger, we can still talk to them and make potential friends.

DaKid

Pro Squid
Well it's obvious it's important to a lot of players. Have you ever used Xbox Live? If you have, I'm sure you understand the importance of this.
No. I don't care about voice chat but the constant groaning about it and derailing of threads to moan more about it is at its peak of annoyance. We've known about this for quite some time either find an alternative or get over it. We get it. I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone.

Lyn

Premium
No. I don't care about voice chat but the constant groaning about it and derailing of threads to moan more about it is at its peak of annoyance. We've known about this for quite some time either find an alternative or get over it. We get it. I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone.
You can always unwatch the thread(s). You can't really blame them for being concerned about things that affect their gameplay.

DaKid

Pro Squid
It doesn't affect the overall gameplay of the game. You can still play the game as normal as ever with out it.

Lyn

Premium
It doesn't affect the overall gameplay of the game. You can still play the game as normal as ever with out it.
It affects their overall ability to do teamwork, which upsets some players (including me).

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
It still doesn't mean we should just give up. I view this case similar (but not THAT MUCH) to Battlefront. Look at all the crap DICE made and people are speaking up. We're doing the same and yet we have to shut up....

Reactions: Lyn

DaKid

Pro Squid
People like you exactly completely exaggerate the need of teamwork in the game. The game was made so you don't need communication to know what you need to do. Look at your map, look at the environment, you know what to do. You don't need to tell people what to do or people tell you what to do unless you're extremely incompetent. "Go paint there" "Do this". Don't insult people's abilities to play a simple game.

Lyn

Premium
People like you exactly completely exaggerate the need of teamwork in the game. The game was made so you don't need communication to know what you need to do. Look at your map, look at the environment, you know what to do. You don't need to tell people what to do or people tell you what to do unless you're extremely incompetent. "Go paint there" "Do this". Don't insult he peoples abilities to play a simple game.
While I think "people like you" is awfully rude, the fact you haven't even used Xbox Live makes me wonder why you are arguing against something you don't fully understand. You'll need teamwork to decide who uses what weapon, and what route you all take. If you had used these kinds of things in games before, you'd see it's not just one person bossing everyone around. It's everybody together discussing things and taking action as a team. It's very important in any ranked or competitive shooter.

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
People like you exactly completely exaggerate the need of teamwork in the game. The game was made so you don't need communication to know what you need to do. Look at your map, look at the environment, you know what to do. You don't need to tell people what to do or people tell you what to do unless you're extremely incompetent. "Go paint there" "Do this". Don't insult people's abilities to play a simple game.
But also at the same time, what if we want to talk to those who we're working with? Not for teamwork but just for chats.

Reactions: Lyn

Lyn

Premium
But also at the same time, what if we want to talk to those who we're working with? Not for teamwork but just for chats.
That is also a thing. When people say "it's as simple as Skype" it means we have to have Skype at the ready, AND add everyone we want to play with. How are you going to add a random to Skype? How do you know if they even have a computer?

DaKid

Pro Squid
That's what I sympathize with the most. The lack of just talking to friends. But it's not a big deal to me.

While I think "people like you" is awfully rude, the fact you haven't even used Xbox Live makes me wonder why you are arguing against something you don't fully understand. You'll need teamwork to decide who uses what weapon, and what route you all take. If you had used these kinds of things in games before, you'd see it's not just one person bossing everyone around. It's everybody together discussing things and taking action as a team. It's very important in any ranked or competitive shooter.
My rudeness is only your interpretation of how I'm saying things. I'm talking normally if this was a face to face conversation. I have played games with voice chat. Most of them are way more complexed than Splatoon so comparing your experiences with them to Splatoon, which is a very simple game in comparison doesn't really work.

The N

Inkling
NNID
meruna
I really dont mind the lack of voice chat. The most time of it is toxic. Also i dont mind the lack of custom settings if the normal settings are good to go. The endless discussion about the rules in smash bros always bugged me. I am glad that we dont have to handle the rules for competetive play. Everyone is playing with the same rules just like it should be for a competetive game.

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
I wouldn't say that. Of course this game isn't out but remember...people find ways to make a certain game competitive and I feel ranked battles will open in. So while the concept will be simple, I feel it will later get more complex later. Regardless, I feel any shooter should have voice chat no matter how simple or hard the game is unless that system have party chat.

This is one of the reasons i'm holding off on buying the game when it launch. It makes me feel it won't be worth $60.

DaKid

Pro Squid
Well if something as tiny as voice chat's exclusion calls you off a whole game, I can't help but cal you petty and have your priorities shot out of wack. I've seen people say that, completely throwing out what they liked about the game before voice chat was even mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom