• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Kirby Social Thread

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I wonder what the next Kirby game will be like if they aren't done with the series. I feel they're not, but I honestly am excited to hear what the next title might be.

I hope they remaster the Dark Matter trilogy in those new, glorious 3D graphics they used for RTDL, TD, and Robobot <3
Either that or an airride remaster because sequels aren't really HAL's thing with kirby, especially considering the directors wishes to not do constant sequels before he left the company (though he still works on smash).
They'll never be done with Kirby. It's just too easy to make Kirby fit into... well, damn near anything, really. Any idea Nintendo's not sure'll work but also isn't sure how to make fit with the not-quite-as-malleable Mario will most likely be handed to Kirby (except for the really wierd stuff like Splatoon, that gets to be its own thing).

As for the spoiler, I agree. Maybe expand those a bit too, I'm sure it could be done (perhaps some amiibo bonuses? Make those Kirby amiibo do something beyond Robobot bonuses! Or maybe bonus levels after normal 100% completion? Or being able to play as Gooey as 1-player? Not sure if that one can be done now tho...).

I liked the original subspace emissary a lot so this seems interesting to me. A massive kirby storyline that flows between multiple kirby characters (prior bosses that may be revived/redeemed, enemy "helpers", and of course the main characters like dedede, metaknight, and bandana dee) and not just kirby himself WOULD be interesting after all.
This.
So much this.
All of my this.
I didn't know I wanted this, but now, I do.
Only if it has Ribbon and the Animal Helpers returning tho. Adeleine and Gooey I can take or leave (though personal bias says put Adeleine in as Paint Kirby ability rep, and Gooey'd be cool), but Ribbon and the Animals need to come back (especially if they're going to have shoot-em-up sections again, I think I mentioned somewhere back in the thread that they could have Ribbon fly Kirby through those to let him use his power-ups during those sections, giving them variety. Animals I just want back because they're cool). They are non-negotiable.
Oh, and bring back playable Bandana Dee. That would be cool as well.

And maybe have Sonic show up at the end? Just so the inspiration is obvious...

On the subject of Kirby games we'd like... I've been playing Shoot-Em-Ups lately, and now I kinda want a Kirby shmup now.
Kirby'd be able to fly via the warp star, of course. He'd have a default straight shot of just small stars, which would be a wider forward shot normally and a condensed shot while focused (holding a button to move more slowly and fire a marginally different shot-type), and also the Inhale on a different button that can be used on certain enemies. Inhaling enemies gives Kirby a Helper (it floats around you and attacks with you, a thing in a bunch of shmups I think, or at least it is in Touhou), which would be different depending on the enemy inhaled. Kirby's Helpers would each have unique skills, and here are some possible Helpers:
Fire: King Leo hovers in front of Kirby and shoots a flamethrower forward. Shoots a short-range wide shot while unfocused, shoots a mid-range slight spread while focused.
Ice: Chilly (whatever the snowman dude is called) orbits around Kirby and generates a circle of ice around himself, damaging nearby enemies. Floats near Kirby while focused, floats farther away from Kirby while unfocused.
Spark: The spark enemy that looks like a green Hershey Kiss floats in front of Kirby and generates electricity while the fire button is held, then shoots a lightning-blast forward once fire is released. Charging longer shoots a larger, stronger bullet. Same focused or unfocused.
Leaf: Leafan (the leaf enemy from Return to Dream Land, with green petals on its head) generates a swarm of leaves around itself while the fire button is held, then shoots the leaves in a spread-shot when fire is released. The spread-shot gets wider (with more leaves) with longer charge. Same focused or unfocused.
Fighter: Knuckle Joe fires rapid-punches to mid-range. Floats left and right while unfocused, nearly stays still while focused.
Paint: Adeleine (is my bias showing?) flings paint-blobs forward in wide spreads. Orbits around Kirby unfocused, holds still behind Kirby while focused.
Sword: Blade Knight floats up to the first enemy Kirby lines up vertically with and repeatedly swings its sword at them. Same focused or unfocused.

And for the shmup requirement smart-bomb, there are 3 options:
Mike: Has 3 stocks. Shoots a sound-wave in a large circle around Kirby, destroying bullets and damaging enemies. Weaker than Crash, but has more stocks.
Crash: Has 1 stock. Shoots a full-screen explosion. Stronger than Mike, but only has one stock.
None: Has 0 stocks. Lets you have an extra Helper (4).

You can have up to 3 Helpers at a time (4 if you have no smart-bomb). Swallowing an enemy to make a new Helper while you have the maximum number of Helpers replaces the oldest Helper with the newly-created one.

Bosses would be giant enemies like Whispy Woods (the first boss, as always), Kracko (this seems like an easy choice), Kabula/Kaboola (again, an easy choice), and then Meta Knight (who would be fairly small, like you, and give you a Sword-power before you start the fight), King Dedede (bringing the hammer down on that there Kirby), and Dark Matter (who would fight in Sword-guy form, then dark-blob form, then finally in giant-eye-of-bloody-death form). And for a true final boss, maybe Shadow Kirby (who would steal your Helpers before the fight (or just generate 4 pre-selected ones if you don't have enough) and split you into 4 Kirbys like in The Amazing Mirror, giving you 3 Kirbys as Helpers that just give you 4 times your standard shot for the duration of the sort-of-mirror-boss-fight) or Galacta Knight (because Galacta Knight), or maybe Susie (in her Robobot armor, summoning other machines).

For additional characters, you could have Meta Knight (who would move faster than Kirby, would have an unfocused shot of shooting swords straight forward, would have a focused shot of short-range sword-slashes, and would have a Blade Knight Helper) and Ribbon (whose shot is shooting a spread shot of crystals, and she'd have a pair of crystals that shoot other crystals straight forward, playing more like a standard shoot-em-up character).

This would never, ever happen. But I just had to get it out there.

See? Kirby can be fit into ANY IDEA

cuteness overload
Does this place actually exist
Where
Also that Waddle Dee is adorable
And they put a hat on it
I can't even
Help
Send help
too much cute
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
That all sounds really neat!
Though I don't think Hal will do any of it. Oh well, I'm happy with the games we have now too.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
That all sounds really neat!
Though I don't think Hal will do any of it. Oh well, I'm happy with the games we have now too.
Yeah, there's no way that'd happen. It was just bouncing around in my head for a while and I needed to get it out.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Yeah true. Perhaps someday, though.
I feel HAL fancies new concepts and remasters over sequels too, since that's why the creator of Kirby left HAL; Nintendo was trying to push sequels for the games that didn't need sequels and he got stressed out by it from what I read. Sad... but I guess this explains why a lot of games like Air Ride didn't get sequels.

Remasters are better anyways.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Well, I'm not as much of a Kirby fangirl as you guys all are (jk :p) but I wanna join this thread! Sounds really fun!
I've played Epic Yarn, Return to Dreamland, and about half of Mass Attack. Not much, but at least it's something.

Also, @Magolor, I get the C-R-O-W-N-E-D reference (I actually get a Kirby reference for once!). Pretty good theme, but I think Triple Deluxe's final boss music (specifically Dirty & Beauty: Phase 2 of the boss) beats it. But just by a little.

I really wanna play air ride... But I have an emulator, and I can't push the joysticks with a certain pressure on it. It's either at 100% or nothing. Do you need percise joystick manipulation to play Air Ride?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Do you need percise joystick manipulation to play Air Ride?
I think... yeah, pretty much. Some vehicles are really insensitive and so do normally require full-strength tilts for any turns, but most will be very hard to control if that's all you have.

On the other hand, I just remembered that, looking through the top global Time Trials for Mario Kart 8, you come across a fair few people who've done it using the D-Pad exclusively, and that game is, though less slippery than Air Ride, not fundamentally different. So perhaps you could give it a shot?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Also, @Magolor, I get the C-R-O-W-N-E-D reference (I actually get a Kirby reference for once!). Pretty good theme, but I think Triple Deluxe's final boss music (specifically Dirty & Beauty: Phase 2 of the boss) beats it. But just by a little.
Ah! Magolor's honestly my favorite boss in both design and battle-wise, so that's why all of my stuff is set to match him.
To be fair, Sectonia's bossfight was really hard for me. Perhaps it was the platforms such as the jewels and easy-to-fall-off platforms. However, I adored the music. Dirty & Beauty was an amazing song and the robobot remix is also really good.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It's safe to say that the forums dedicated to kirby are becoming more active
there was recently a tad of drama regarding a member that clearly doesn't like the franchise trying to demotivate us from reviving it, but...

http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/forums/index.php if anyone's interested in joining.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Ah! Magolor's honestly my favorite boss in both design and battle-wise, so that's why all of my stuff is set to match him.
To be fair, Sectonia's bossfight was really hard for me. Perhaps it was the platforms such as the jewels and easy-to-fall-off platforms. However, I adored the music. Dirty & Beauty was an amazing song and the robobot remix is also really good.
One of these days, I'll beat Return to Dream Land (I'm so close! I don't need all the gears to do the final boss, right?)... And 3 (damn World 3 Gordo minigame)...
Well, after spending some (read: a lot of) time with Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, once that comes out (hopefully I'll finish one of those before October, but knowing me...).

It's safe to say that the forums dedicated to kirby are becoming more active
there was recently a tad of drama regarding a member that clearly doesn't like the franchise trying to demotivate us from reviving it, but...

http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/forums/index.php if anyone's interested in joining.
Hey, just signed up! Thanks for the heads up, mate!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Hey, just signed up! Thanks for the heads up, mate!
It may take a little bit for the first post to be approved by mods since the mods are scarce but it'll be amazing to keep working on reviving the forums!
Thanks for your help.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Ends up they're making a museum dedicated to kirby for a limited time. I'm not going to be able to go again because of work, but i do know loyal fans will probably certainly post videos. This is a good year to be a Kirby fan....

... In Japan. America still gets nothing. Apparently even in the Nintendo NY shop there's only two shelves dedicated to Kirby.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Ends up they're making a museum dedicated to kirby for a limited time. I'm not going to be able to go again because of work, but i do know loyal fans will probably certainly post videos. This is a good year to be a Kirby fan....

... In Japan. America still gets nothing. Apparently even in the Nintendo NY shop there's only two shelves dedicated to Kirby.

Aww, that sucks. But then again, Nintendo is in Japan and gets most of its support there.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Aww, that sucks. But then again, Nintendo is in Japan and gets most of its support there.
True, but there's also the fact that Kirby's franchise (as it is) appeals more to the cute tastes of Japan for all ages, even adults.
Here, people call Kirby a baby game- and most of the time they had to edit the cover art to be "angry american kirby" just to get it to sell. This also explains why some of the older commercials for Kirby were so weird and out of character- even involving violence out of nowhere and making Kirby come off as a "tough badguy" or something along those lines.

In Japan, Kirby's seen for who he is- A cute pink puff that's incredibly friendly and loving. Even for the bosses he defeats, if you think about it he forgave all of them. He's very, very forgiving. That's something hardcore american fans don't seem to like too much for characters, considering it something from childrens games because "nobody wants to see characters get redeemed!" since apparently that's something that only happens in kids games, right!? Wow!

So of course Nintendo gives more love to Kirby in Japan. They actually appreciate the game for what it is.
Nintendo fans in america seem to mostly care about the other franchises like Mario and Pokemon more than Kirby anyways, so i'm not getting my hopes up to find any Kirby merch in america any time soon.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
We should just move to Japan guys. I really want to go to that Kirby Cafe!!!!! :(

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
We should just move to Japan guys. I really want to go to that Kirby Cafe!!!!! :(
True. I plan on learning Japanese primarily since I want to be multilingual anyways, alongside Korean and Spanish and perhaps other languages. I prefer the foods in Japan as well- and honestly the fact they have much more merchandise relating to video games like Kirby there only adds to the reasons, even though it isn't the primary reason I wish to move there. While Kirby Cafe is temporary, I feel that in its success more Kirby based shops will be show up. They may be limited time as well, but it's just a gut feeling I have. They wont give up on it especially since it's making them lots of money.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
True. I plan on learning Japanese primarily since I want to be multilingual anyways, alongside Korean and Spanish and perhaps other languages. I prefer the foods in Japan as well- and honestly the fact they have much more merchandise relating to video games like Kirby there only adds to the reasons, even though it isn't the primary reason I wish to move there. While Kirby Cafe is temporary, I feel that in its success more Kirby based shops will be show up. They may be limited time as well, but it's just a gut feeling I have. They wont give up on it especially since it's making them lots of money.
I actually plan on learning Japanese too! I'm focusing on Hiragana characters for now since Katakana was a little confusing for me at the moment. (Katakana characters look so similar to each other! It's super annoying!!!). I really want to visit Japan first before moving, just to make sure I like it over there. I've tried a few Japanses cuisines, but I really want to try Takoyaki!!!! Being such a huge gamer, I would love to get more video game related merchandise without paying $20 dollars just for shipping and handling. Kirby is so much more popular over there, that I wouldn't be surprise if more Kirby shops open up.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Eh. Japan's a nice country, but you wouldn't want to live there. It's got as many problems as America and Canada, just different ones. Work schedules so grueling that employees hope a tsunami hits them so they get a day off (yes, really), for one.

As for the merch and cafes, I guarantee we'll never see much of it. Japan puts Japan first more often than not in all matters, not just video games.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Eh. Japan's a nice country, but you wouldn't want to live there. It's got as many problems as America and Canada, just different ones. Work schedules so grueling that employees hope a tsunami hits them so they get a day off (yes, really), for one.

As for the merch and cafes, I guarantee we'll never see much of it. Japan puts Japan first more often than not in all matters, not just video games.
I was most worried about work if I moved there, I suppose, but isn't that a bit over the top? Tsunamis aren't exactly... a fun thing to think about, but you're talking to someone that really doesn't like the idea of most natural disasters. I don't know what life is like in japan, but I know that much like any other place in existence it's going to have it's downsides as well as it's upsides. As an adult I expect that with things now and that's just how it is.

And of course, because again: American fans don't care about anything that isn't 'hardcore' most of the times. That's probably a bit of a stereotype, but it feels true as hell considering that's probably a primary reason Nintendo doesn't give a damn about marketing its game merch for Kirby here too much. I can have my dreams though, since I doubt I can get there this year when apparently Kirby things keep popping up, even for a trip.

Sorry if this is repetitive or something. I'm half asleep still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom