LFG: NA & EU May Splatfests - TMNT

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I spotted that myself when I looked at some footage on YouTube as the EU Splatfest hadn't yet started. It is indeed the Flight vs Invisibility Shifty, and chances are this is due to the tournament style Splatfest gimmick they're running with this month. I'd say we'll see another repeat Shifty next 'Fest for round 2 (or maybe this one again, who knows) and the finals will be the "real" Splatfest for this month where we get given the Shifty Japan had in their most recent Splatfest. It makes sense considering the alternative is to receive 3 weeks of seeing a rather concerning looking Shifty, so I'm all for it. It is kind of giving weight to my theory that after Splatfest #12 the devs will just rotate through all the Shifty Stations we've seen since launch, which I wouldn't mind if it means seeing some of the great ones like in Chicken vs Egg. In any case it's proof that Nintendo is holding on to all the Shifty Station maps and not just wiping them forever when they finish the Splatfest (each Shifty gets downloaded to your console alongside team ink colours, shirt design and text for both Pearl and Marina so they can just spit out the corresponding text for whoever wins), so again, high chance of seeing all of them return within the 2nd year of Splatfest.
Well, if that's the case, then does that mean we'll only get Super Sea Snails for the last Splatfest? If so, there's not really a point in playing these earlier rounds in the tournament.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Managed to get to queen for this Splatfest without any incident. I won 17 and lost 12, so I contributed a few wins to my team. I actually had some really fun matches. Not many obnoxious matches where one team spawncamped the other for the entirety of the match. Had a couple of matches where even though I lost, I was happy since they were still enjoyable, and I can say that I gave it my all......I wish I could always have this mentality.

For this Splatfest, I decided to just mess around with Gloogas. Did rather decent with them despite never using them before in pvp. It was pretty fun to use. Had a pretty alright score too.

DcdOI2FVQAEQuLM.jpg

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
This Splatfest was quite memorable since it was the first time I got to play with people on my Friends List! The chat was decent, though it had issues where people would suddenly be dropped from it, but we still managed and won a few rounds. Not as often as in solo, but still fun!

Overall, I did really well and got to King quickly. Can't wait to play with my friends again next week!

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Guys...Has anyone run into this problem? Everything went to black and for some reason I can't ink the floor. Walls I can somehow still do though.

Edit: In lighter news, I won my last match and we were down to 3v4. :D

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I really don't know why, but this splatfest was kinda boring. Without the novelty of a new station, and it being about a cartoon i didn't care about it felt really dull in it's entirety. So i basically rocked meme weapons until i reached royalty. If you saw someone failing horribly with the Tetra's/Undercover on Team Raph, that was probably me. Sorry about that!

On the flipside, i finally got to see this little easter egg for myself!

Part of me hoped that the Splatfest had a new stage that had slight changes per splatfest, but we're all going to get the same ones over again. I really hope we're not going to get the chokehold of death or the glass doors of suffering again.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, this was a pretty good fest. I didn't have a lot of time to play video games this week, so I just went for Queen and called it a day.
Got 20 wins and 5 loses as team Raph, so I had a nice stress-free road to Queen inbetween hectic IRL stuff, which was definitely good. Color scheme was nice too.

I honestly don't recall ever playing this Shifty Station, despite taking part in the Invisibility/Flight fest, but I did really enjoy this layout. It's too bad I only got to play on it for 5 matches or so.

I mostly stuck to some easy weapons since I wasn't really in the mood to put too much effort into it right now. Played some Neo Splash and some Slosher.
Part of me hoped that the Splatfest had a new stage that had slight changes per splatfest, but we're all going to get the same ones over again.
It might just be that since there's three Splatfests in NA/EU this month two of those are gonna have old maps while the finale will have the new one. I don't think this proves that there's going to be no new ones at all.

Though I wouldn't mind. Getting only 24h for one map is ridiculous, so getting a second round with all of them would be nice.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Guys...Has anyone run into this problem? Everything went to black and for some reason I can't ink the floor. Walls I can somehow still do though.

Edit: In lighter news, I won my last match and we were down to 3v4. :D
That's likely to be an issue with running the Switch for too long, it starts to play up and Splatoon is one of the games where it starts to go really wrong when the Switch starts running into issues. There's stuff like this that's happened before, and you can deliberately trigger a different issue by constantly entering and exiting the friend list in the lobby so the game is forced to keep rendering all your friends profile pictures until after enough times of going back and forth it starts rendering everything wrong and not functioning as intended (this is more likely overloading the GPU as opposed to a potential overheating problem). The first instance I saw of it is right here:

As for the Splatfest, it wasn't that enjoyable and I bailed the second I hit Raph King, had some questionable teammates at times and I couldn't be bothered to play seriously, so I messed around for a while with different weapons and eventually went Splattershot so I could level up faster and guarantee wins. It was nice to return to that Shifty, but it was such a lame Splatfest I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. I'm not entirely enthused for Round 2 either, but I'll play because I want to participate in all the 'Fests where possible.

Cephalobro

Meh, this Splatfest started badly for me, but I had winning streaks later. I get more bothered by the fact that Aerosprays appear more often here than anywhere else, both strange and annoying.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Splatfest recap please.

Magitroopa

Full Squid
NNID
Magitroopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-6452-9209-2706
RESULTS
POPULARITY:
Raph: 42.23%

Leo: 57.77%

SOLO WINS:

Raph: 51.82%
Leo: 48.18%

TEAM WINS:

Raph: 55.86%
Leo: 44.14%

CONGRATS TEAM RAPH!!!!

You'll be competing on May 19 against the winner of the May 12 Splatfest (Mikey/Donnie)!

Cyan

Inkling Commander

I'll put this warning out for anyone who may not be aware. Due to how close each Splatfest will be to each other you have a very small window of time to go view the news and grab your snails, as when Round 2 gets announced in game you'll lose access to the results and therefore won't get the snails from this one. I've updated the original post with a very minor edit for the finals.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Man, that was a lot closer on for Solo than I expected base on my experiences. Well, that's the first batch of 24 snails!

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Meh, this Splatfest started badly for me, but I had winning streaks later. I get more bothered by the fact that Aerosprays appear more often here than anywhere else, both strange and annoying.
After I tried to win using real weapons, I ended up finishing with the aerospray RG. I had so many battles with the blaster where I had the most splats but least points on my team and we lost. I eventually caved because the aero is a turf god. I usually just throw the sprinkler wherever there's a large space while building my special. I actually ended up 6-1 with the aero while the one loss was with a disconnect. I was averaging ~6.5 splats, ~1050 points, and ~5 specials per game with it.

I was really disappointed with this splatfest, as it was not fun for me at all. I picked team Leo because I remember Raph being a **** and Leo was objectively the best of the four in real life. It was obvious from the start that Leo was more popular–really long waits in the lobby and battles against Leo–and really bad, as I could not win against Raph teams while I obliterated Leo teams. I had a poor showing in Splatfest power, only reaching 2070 while dropping as low as 1900 and losing against a team with 1800. My only hope for the next fest is that the trend of the popular team losing stops, as the last few splatfests have been really one-sided and un-fun for me.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
After I tried to win using real weapons, I ended up finishing with the aerospray RG. I had so many battles with the blaster where I had the most splats but least points on my team and we lost. I eventually caved because the aero is a turf god. I usually just throw the sprinkler wherever there's a large space while building my special. I actually ended up 6-1 with the aero while the one loss was with a disconnect. I was averaging ~6.5 splats, ~1050 points, and ~5 specials per game with it.
Well you're an anomaly among Aerospray players. Cause you're more likely to see Aerospray players that are unlikely to get more than 3 splats if even 3. You might get some good coverage but that doesn't mean jack if the opponents are all ready to cover it back up.

Aerospray just isn't a good stand alone weapon in the hands of most people.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Well you're an anomaly among Aerospray players. Cause you're more likely to see Aerospray players that are unlikely to get more than 3 splats if even 3. You might get some good coverage but that doesn't mean jack if the opponents are all ready to cover it back up.

Aerospray just isn't a good stand alone weapon in the hands of most people.
I would argue that no weapon is good in the hands of most people.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I would argue that no weapon is good in the hands of most people.
Fair, but the Aerospray is a weapon with an intentional below average combat ability designed primarily for turf, given its low range, low accuracy, and low damage. Stick that onto players who aren't the most combat adept and you got a double wammy.

While Turf War is a mode which is based on turf coverage, that alone will not win most matches. Combat is still important and if you lack the ability and the equipment, you set yourself up for disaster in the long run.

If you do have smarts to have combat aptitude with the Aerospray, great, but most people aren't. But otherwise, I think a lot of the people using Aerosprays would really benefit more from using more rounded weapons, like a Splattershot or even an Octobrush, and having a play style which is more rounded.

Non-combative play styles really aren't that great, some degree of aptitude in either offensive or defensive combat is really necessary to find consistent success. Finding a weapon that helps reach that middle group if part of it.

Which is why I don't like seeing Aerospray users that much, since they try to push one aspect too much they ignore the other important half of Turf Wars.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think the people who aren't good at killing with the Aerospray probably are good at killing with other weapons either. The Aerospray falls into the same kind of category as the Sploosh and other short-rangers in that a lot of people who clearly aren't that good at the game use them because they turf well.

It's less that it's a hard weapon to sufficiently rack up kills with, and more that it's favored by people who just aren't very good at the game.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
So did anyone notice the little sticker on the Dualie Squelchers?

Hype.
Custom Dualie Squelchers
Sub: Splat Bomb
Special: Sting Ray

The nostalgia/hype is real! Does anyone else dodge roll and stand still just to get that wonderful Dual Squelcher egg?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Ouch, yet another loss. Inb4 popular team always loses conspiracys rise again!

Also, could someone with Splatnet 2 access do me a favor and check if I made the Top 5? Dunno why this stuff isn't accessible in game.

Custom Dualie Squelchers
Sub: Splat Bomb
Special: Sting Ray

The nostalgia/hype is real! Does anyone else dodge roll and stand still just to get that wonderful Dual Squelcher egg?
Latest datamine shows the special was changed to Ink Storm. Wish it had actually been out already as it's probably even better for turf war than the vanilla Dualie Squelchers. Also, no idea what you mean by Dual Squelcher egg. :L

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom