Making a hypothetical balance patch and screwing with some kits

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
in your joke modpack, you should make panicking alla mambo a curling bomb and replace the battle music with gummy bear screw it i will list some ideas below
That would be funny. But maybe it might be better fit in another thread

a hot mess

Inkling Fleet Admiral
painfully and slowly rotting in my bed <3
Pronouns
Any
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
if you can change textures, change callie's hat to raw meat
make the ink have the glitter texture at all times
imprint this thing's face on the rainmaker
1710728490728.png

change whatever texture you like to quandale dingle

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
in your joke modpack, you should make panicking alla mambo a curling bomb and replace the battle music with gummy bear screw it i will list some ideas below
This is legitimately hilarious
my subweapon is wheel fish now lmao

That would be funny. But maybe it might be better fit in another thread
...fair

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Idea I had while in this thread. What if dart only cost 30% of the ink tank? I feel like this fixes the main problem with it which is that missing is just extremely punishing

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
Idea I had while in this thread. What if dart only cost 30% of the ink tank? I feel like this fixes the main problem with it which is that missing is just extremely punishing
30% is genuinely insane in that you can suddenly throw three darts and kill someone. I kinda like that it is punishing and if the tripwire does damage, I think it’d be fine

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
30% is genuinely insane in that you can suddenly throw three darts and kill someone. I kinda like that it is punishing and if the tripwire does damage, I think it’d be fine
It's still 90% of the ink tank for a combo that's probably not too consistent. it is kinda funny though

although I don't think the dart-only kills will be too good, it's definitely a very substantial buff

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
It's still 90% of the ink tank for a combo that's probably not too consistent. it is kinda funny though

although I don't think the dart-only kills will be too good, it's definitely a very substantial buff
It sounds like a substantial buff but then there’s a problem to consider that was the case with the op dart challenge. In that it will still be fundamentally horrible. Just becomes something that occasionally kills people

Last edited:

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
It sounds like a substantial buff but then there’s a problem to consider that was the case with the op dart challenge. In that it will still be fundamentally horrible. Just becomes something that occasionally one kills people
Would increasing the delay between consecutive darts help with this? It's not on inkipedia right now, but it appears to be about 30 frames. I think upping it to 45 is a reasonable amount, since the only reason you'd need two in a row faster than that is if you're trying to hit someone with multiple (which is the problem the nerf is trying to fix). This would give players 90 frames to react to getting hit by 3 darts instead of 60.

Players could potentially run two of them and try to both hit the same player with darts to get around this, but at that point I think it's more of a gimmick strategy, and would be tough to execute in practice.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
Would increasing the delay between consecutive darts help with this? It's not on inkipedia right now, but it appears to be about 30 frames. I think upping it to 45 is a reasonable amount, since the only reason you'd need two in a row faster than that is if you're trying to hit someone with multiple (which is the problem the nerf is trying to fix). This would give players 90 frames to react to getting hit by 3 darts instead of 60.

Players could potentially run two of them and try to both hit the same player with darts to get around this, but at that point I think it's more of a gimmick strategy, and would be tough to execute in practice.
That would help but would also make the sub feel horrible to use. And I just feel anything below 40% of the ink tank is dumb, especially when something doesn’t need to be that cheap. It would feel wayyy too gimmicky in comparison to every other sub in the game. Keeping the tripwire would make it genuinely problematic at a cheaper cost, and removing it at that cost once again fails to address the main problem in that relying on directs is just not good for it.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
That would help but would also make the sub feel horrible to use. And I just feel anything below 40% of the ink tank is dumb, especially when something doesn’t need to be that cheap. It would feel wayyy too gimmicky in comparison to every other sub in the game. Keeping the tripwire would make it genuinely problematic at a cheaper cost, and removing it at that cost once again fails to address the main problem in that relying on directs is just not good for it.
It would only affect the time between 2 consecutive darts. This isn't really how the sub wants to be used most of the time, so I don't think it would feel worse to use.

The reason relying on directs isn't good for it is that it's too expensive when you miss. Making it 30% makes it much less of a commitment to use.

You're right, I didn't think about the tripwires though. That could get annoying. I still feel like this is the best direction to go with the sub but I'm not sure how we could make the tripwires more useful without them being problematic.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
It would only affect the time between 2 consecutive darts. This isn't really how the sub wants to be used most of the time, so I don't think it would feel worse to use.

The reason relying on directs isn't good for it is that it's too expensive when you miss. Making it 30% makes it much less of a commitment to use.

You're right, I didn't think about the tripwires though. That could get annoying. I still feel like this is the best direction to go with the sub but I'm not sure how we could make the tripwires more useful without them being problematic.
Between two consecutive darts is not the problem. Between a dart and a main weapon is the problem. Because of that, what it was likely designed to do (be a cheap trap to locate and combo) will feel so much worse to do, specifically with RPD and for when directs DO happen, many others that use dart to combo.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Between two consecutive darts is not the problem. Between a dart and a main weapon is the problem. Because of that, what it was likely designed to do (be a cheap trap to locate and combo) will feel so much worse to do, specifically with RPD and for when directs DO happen, many others that use dart to combo.
You brought up the dart challenge, so I thought you were talking about how you would be able to throw 3 darts in a row and splat somebody. I suggested the dart->dart interval nerf to make this strategy less effective.

I don't understand why you're saying that it will feel worse to trap and combo with. Can't you use repeat frames (like you mentioned here) to only change the interval between consecutive darts and nothing else?

As for the tripwires, they only last 2 seconds so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue, since with the nerf I suggested, by the time the third dart is out, the first one only has half a second left. The tripwire damage could also be lowered to 15 or 20 if necessary.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
You brought up the dart challenge, so I thought you were talking about how you would be able to throw 3 darts in a row and splat somebody. I suggested the dart->dart interval nerf to make this strategy less effective.

I don't understand why you're saying that it will feel worse to trap and combo with. Can't you use repeat frames (like you mentioned here) to only change the interval between consecutive darts and nothing else?

As for the tripwires, they only last 2 seconds so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue, since with the nerf I suggested, by the time the third dart is out, the first one only has half a second left. The tripwire damage could also be lowered to 15 or 20 if necessary.
My point is, if you throw a dart and try to throw a slosh or a shot to follow up, 15 frames is a LOT of extra time to wait which would NOT feel good to use. I also just checked and repeat frames don’t exist as a parameter to dart.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
My point is, if you throw a dart and try to throw a slosh or a shot to follow up, 15 frames is a LOT of extra time to wait which would NOT feel good to use.
Yeah, this wasn't the intention of the nerf.

I also just checked and repeat frames don’t exist as a parameter to dart.
Would it be possible to add it? Idk how difficult adding code is, but the code itself doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, especially considering it is already on some other things.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
Yeah, this wasn't the intention of the nerf.

Would it be possible to add it? Idk how difficult adding code is, but the code itself doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, especially considering it is already on some other things.
I found where I could maybe put it to test it out. Probably tomorrow to see if it changes anything. I still don’t like the thought of a sub at 30% though

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I found where I could maybe put it to test it out. Probably tomorrow to see if it changes anything. I still don’t like the thought of a sub at 30% though
While there are a lot of things with repeat frames, none of the subs actually have them which is kind of interesting. I admittedly can’t help but feel like you’re trying to make dart a weapon within itself

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
While there are a lot of things with repeat frames, none of the subs actually have them which is kind of interesting. I admittedly can’t help but feel like you’re trying to make dart a weapon within itself
I mean... why not?
A weaker sub that you can use more often sounds really cool to me. They tried this in Splatoon 1 with burst bomb, but it turned out not to be a weaker sub (it was 25%, now it has to be 45% lol) and I think dart is their second attempt at this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom