1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Movement Mechanics

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Mithical1, Apr 23, 2015.

1. FunkyLobster

FunkyLobster Inkling Commander

NNID:
    FunkyLobster
    hitboxes are probably the same since it is squid form, but since youre going back and forth between human i guess you could technically consider yourself easier to hit

also since you're moving up and down so fast you'll technically be harder to hit, but your movement is predictable doing it, so more skilled players might be able to kill you easily... not sure

2. SpecialtySake

SpecialtySake Pro Squid

With a whole team using this as approach, it can really be intimidating. Especially in early competition. Team spaced well+ splatterjumping to a target = high chance of victory!

3. FunkyLobster

NNID:
    FunkyLobster
    yup, using splatterhopping is probably going to rank you up pretty quickly

can't wait to see what other ATs are discovered once the game's launched!

4. kaptinkillem

kaptinkillem Inkling

speaking of teams, is anyone looking to put a team together? I don't know anyone who is gonna get the game when it launches and I'd like to find a solid group to play with, and practice

5. SpecialtySake

SpecialtySake Pro Squid

I'm down to team up if possible! I'm graduating HS by release date, so I'll be able to play a bit regularly.

Anyways, about full team splatterhopping, Would it be better to stagger them in teams, or try and sync up?

6. WECKmaster329

WECKmaster329 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    WECKmaster329
    I have a feeling that once the full arsenal has been revealed, there are going to be some ATs for each specific weapon. When the game launches, the first thing I'm gonna do is try to get as many weapons as I can to experiment with them.

7. Bottlecapn

Bottlecapn Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Bottlecapn
    Sure, I'd be down for that. I'll make sure to keep in touch m80s @SpecialtySake @kaptinkillem

8. kaptinkillem

kaptinkillem Inkling

Great to hear guys :) . I'm excited to try out the sniper, but im worried it wont have the same kind of cool movement options, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out

9. Flying_Tortoise

Flying_Tortoise Sushi Chef

Idk about that. You need someone with the Roller to at least make a path behind everyone. B/c when you die that means you'd have to do the AT (has someone given it a name? SquidSquipping?) again. And I think it'll end up being slower than regular swimming thru a path but only experience with the game will tell that

10. kaptinkillem

kaptinkillem Inkling

I have a feeling the roller will not be very useful, i think against good players they'll just be shot before they can get close, but I could be wrong

11. SpecialtySake

SpecialtySake Pro Squid

Gotcha, gotcha. Best as an initial approach, I suppose.
    Yeah, I tend to see roller players get shot up bad on those gameplay vids..

12. Flying_Tortoise

That is why you have a teammate defend you ;)
    2 is better than 1 (yes, but you both have to be good at your job)

13. Platypudding

Platypudding Full Squid

It seems to me like splaterhopping's benefits will mostly be in battle. Being able to switch up your hitboxes and mobility suddenly is going to be useful during fights. It doesn't look like it has any positives for map movement though, especially because it involves shooting less ink than normal.

14. Flying_Tortoise

We believe it'll be good for the beginning of the match when there is no paint on the ground already, or trying to infiltrate enemy paint when no one is their and take territory from the inside out.

Idk about mid battle, perhaps if you are surrounded in the other teams ink that may be your best way to runaway, but the ink seems rly large... I'm sorry soldier but in that situation...you may not get out of there alive o_o

15. kaptinkillem

kaptinkillem Inkling

Yah I guess I didnt really think about the ink spreading thing, the best thing about splatterjumping is I dont need to focus on paint spread early, if I have teammates willing to do it, cuz I can get to a good vantage point to try to get some early pick offs

Flying_Tortoise likes this.
  16. Regiruler

Regiruler Inkster Jr.

I think it's somewhat of an overrated technique.
    1. It's only feasible via splattershot (this isn't really a knock against it, as many movement based techniques will likely be exclusive to it given the heavy amount of fine tuning it must have as the game's primary weapon)
    2. In terms of quick point A to point B, I think the rifle weapons will be far less likely of screwing up. Yes, it's a tad more visible, but the failure rate isn't as low. It also may or may not be faster, but depends on how much speed you lose when changing back and forth.

17. SpecialtySake

SpecialtySake Pro Squid

I think I'm going to go for playing the Roller. Seems like VERY useful support at a glance.

18. FunkyLobster

NNID:
    FunkyLobster
    honestly i the fact it's only possible via splattershot weapons (splattershot, pro variant, jr variant, .52 gal, etc) is a benefit to those weapons rather than a drawback to the technique. it furthers their image as an all around weapon, and it can compete with more mobile weapons like the paintbrush because of it

19. Regiruler

Regiruler Inkster Jr.

Isn't jr the one with the highly erratic shot pattern though? God help you if you miss.

Are the others even fast enough?

EDIT: I should further clarify. I wasn't saying the technique was bad. I'm simply saying it's overrated: given the limited pool of weapons that can use it, I doubt that it will be completely game-defining.

20. kinetik07

kinetik07 Senior Squid

[​IMG]

Seems like you can extend it a bit depending on the angle you shoot so you're not limited to jumping through single puddles

EDIT: although, turning while splatterhopping doesn't look like it's worth it

Flying_Tortoise and FunkyLobster like this.