1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

NA Splatfest: Are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by G1ng3rGar1, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Early Bird or Night Owl?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2016.
  1. Early Bird

29.3%
  2. Night Owl

61.0%
  3. Haven't chosen yet/in another region!

9.8%
  1. Hero of Lime

Hero of Lime Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Link643
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5339-5185-8796.
    That's just what they want you to think! They are a crafty bunch. ;)

LupusFreak, Award, Dual and 1 other person like this.
  2. ShinyGirafarig

ShinyGirafarig Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
  3. SyMag

SyMag SOLDIER 1st Class

NNID:
    PKThunda
    So like Ranked matches? Eh.

Oh damn son

Minato Arisato, Award and Dual like this.
  4. SyMag

SyMag SOLDIER 1st Class

NNID:
    PKThunda
    This and Brawl in the Family are my favorites!

5. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    There were times I did not bother to level up the shirt and my team won the Splatfest anyway and times when I did level and lost them.

Award, Dual, G1ng3rGar1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. SyMag

SyMag SOLDIER 1st Class

NNID:
    PKThunda
    I never pre-level my Splatfest tees. :p

Award, Dual and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  7. G1ng3rGar1

G1ng3rGar1 Inkling Fleet Admiral

Sometimes I do, most times I don't

Award, SyMag and Dual like this.
  8. Ikaheishi

Ikaheishi Bobble-chan
    Premium

That's quite an assumption and a hasty generalization right there. One of my friends and I have played since launch, and neither of us bother with our Splatfest tees until we're forced to during the Splatfest itself.

A year ago I would work hard to get the slots unlocked on the thing, but I stopped bothering with it back in December. I don't really see a benefit to expending the effort ahead of time when I can focus on having fun instead. It's just a game after all.

9. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Cuttleshock
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6317-8240-9812
    Anecdote related to Splatfest Tees: the other day in S Ranked, I saw one Roller-user (don't remember which weapon, exactly) with theirs equipped. By the looks of it, when levelling it up pre-Fest, they'd happened to get two Special Saver subs, so they had decided to run a gear set based around that theme - industrious!

Has anyone here ever gotten an amazing initial roll on one of their Splatfest Tees and been sad to lose it after the event?

Dual and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  10. SupaTim

SupaTim Prodigal Squid

NNID:
    SupaTim101
    Yes! I got two strength and one bomb range up on it, which fit perfectly into my pre-nerf splattershot (burst bombs) build. Ultimately, losing it was fine because special saver wasn't all that important, but it was good for that splatfest.

I always level my shirt early so that I can determine what other gear I can use that will fit with those slots. But, I'm kind of a gear junkie, so...

#190 SupaTim, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    LupusFreak likes this.
  11. G1ng3rGar1

G1ng3rGar1 Inkling Fleet Admiral

I got triple damage up a Splatfest or 2 ago. It was my first(and only) natural rolled shirt ,.,

Dual likes this.
  12. Award

Award Squid Savior From the Future

Same, I don't level up my splatfest tees pre-fest either, but that was more or less my point. Not ALL veterans level up splatfest tees but generally noobs don't. Most of the people that do are the crazy competitive obsessed it rolls, mostly high rank/level people and their alts. Who among the group that has less than 30 hours in on the game and is in the low levels is really running around leveling up splatfest tees? It's something that people seem to think of later when they have nothing else to level up.
    I had one with double damage and a damage main back in one of the mid-winter fests. I hated to give that thing up. My chargers would have loved it...

Dual and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  13. Ikaheishi

Ikaheishi Bobble-chan
    Premium

That happened to me back with one of the first Splatfests.

Again, it's an assumption. I was so hyped for the Splatfests in the beginning (GO TEAM CAT!) that I would always work on my Splatfest tee beforehand. My fiançée did the same as well when I gave her the game late last year. And neither of us are competitive players.

Honestly, I stopped unlocking the slots beforehand as my life has been falling apart; I've stopped caring. I'd probably still be working on the tees otherwise and maybe if things turn around I'll start working on those slots again.

Award likes this.
  14. Flareth

Flareth Inkling Fleet Admiral

Most of the time I'll work to get my shirt leveled up before the Splatfest begins, so I can play at more-or-less full strength. Rarely if ever do I get a good roll on the shirt, though, so I guess it's not the most important thing in the world.

Dual likes this.
  15. Award

Award Squid Savior From the Future

Not so much an assumption as a broad but generally accurate stereotype of noobs and competitive players. It doesn't apply to everyone but as a broad stroke it's fairly accurate ;)

16. CM2

CM2 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    chenmaster2
    I think judging from what I have seen. It seems like Night Owl is the more popular time. I hope the more popular team has a decent chance to win this team. I rather choose a Splatfest team that I truly support for instead of lying and joining the other team for the sake of having a better chance at winning the Splatfest.

17. Babycowland

Babycowland Semi-Pro Squid

Honestly, I don't feel all that attached to either team... I'd much rather wake up at a reasonable hour than stay up late or get up early. That said, I have a hard time staying up past 2 a.m. and have to get up a bit early for work, so I guess on balance I'm an early bird.

Doesn't your own rank/level have an impact on who ends up being in your turf war lobbies? Most of my TW lobbies are like the ones you described: mostly level 50s with the occasional lower level squidkid. But when I join up with people who are a different level/rank than I am, I've noticed that the rest of the people in the lobby also tend to be lower levels that what I usually see in TW. Granted, that's just my experience; I don't really know how TW matchmaking works.

Award, SyMag, Dual and 1 other person like this.
  18. SyMag

SyMag SOLDIER 1st Class

NNID:
    PKThunda
    I think I'll have to resort to using the patented "SyMag Splatfest Pick-a-Side-for-Me Test™" again:

Comparing the levels and ranks of those in my lobby at showtime

Dual likes this.
  19. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    I was feeling morbid at work today and thought I would like to join Team Never Wake Up At All.

I'm feeling better now.

Mr. 9, Award, SyMag and 2 others like this.
  20. SupaTim

SupaTim Prodigal Squid

NNID:
    SupaTim101
    Well, it looks like I won't be Splatfesting after all. A good friend died and the funeral is Saturday.

You guys better rep night owls for me!

SyMag, Dual, CM2 and 1 other person like this.