• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

NA Splatfest: Are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

Early Bird or Night Owl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
A bunch of low level players leveling their splatfest tees before splatfest. Alts. Every last one of 'em. Noobs don't even consider leveling up a splatfest tee.
There were times I did not bother to level up the shirt and my team won the Splatfest anyway and times when I did level and lost them.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Premium
A bunch of low level players leveling their splatfest tees before splatfest. Alts. Every last one of 'em. Noobs don't even consider leveling up a splatfest tee
That's quite an assumption and a hasty generalization right there. One of my friends and I have played since launch, and neither of us bother with our Splatfest tees until we're forced to during the Splatfest itself.

A year ago I would work hard to get the slots unlocked on the thing, but I stopped bothering with it back in December. I don't really see a benefit to expending the effort ahead of time when I can focus on having fun instead. It's just a game after all.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Anecdote related to Splatfest Tees: the other day in S Ranked, I saw one Roller-user (don't remember which weapon, exactly) with theirs equipped. By the looks of it, when levelling it up pre-Fest, they'd happened to get two Special Saver subs, so they had decided to run a gear set based around that theme - industrious!

Has anyone here ever gotten an amazing initial roll on one of their Splatfest Tees and been sad to lose it after the event?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Anecdote related to Splatfest Tees: the other day in S Ranked, I saw one Roller-user (don't remember which weapon, exactly) with theirs equipped. By the looks of it, when levelling it up pre-Fest, they'd happened to get two Special Saver subs, so they had decided to run a gear set based around that theme - industrious!

Has anyone here ever gotten an amazing initial roll on one of their Splatfest Tees and been sad to lose it after the event?
Yes! I got two strength and one bomb range up on it, which fit perfectly into my pre-nerf splattershot (burst bombs) build. Ultimately, losing it was fine because special saver wasn't all that important, but it was good for that splatfest.

I always level my shirt early so that I can determine what other gear I can use that will fit with those slots. But, I'm kind of a gear junkie, so...

Last edited:

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

I got triple damage up a Splatfest or 2 ago. It was my first(and only) natural rolled shirt ,.,

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
That's quite an assumption and a hasty generalization right there. One of my friends and I have played since launch, and neither of us bother with our Splatfest tees until we're forced to during the Splatfest itself.

A year ago I would work hard to get the slots unlocked on the thing, but I stopped bothering with it back in December. I don't really see a benefit to expending the effort ahead of time when I can focus on having fun instead. It's just a game after all.
Same, I don't level up my splatfest tees pre-fest either, but that was more or less my point. Not ALL veterans level up splatfest tees but generally noobs don't. Most of the people that do are the crazy competitive obsessed it rolls, mostly high rank/level people and their alts. Who among the group that has less than 30 hours in on the game and is in the low levels is really running around leveling up splatfest tees? It's something that people seem to think of later when they have nothing else to level up.

I had one with double damage and a damage main back in one of the mid-winter fests. I hated to give that thing up. My chargers would have loved it...

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Premium
I got triple damage up a Splatfest or 2 ago. It was my first(and only) natural rolled shirt ,.,
That happened to me back with one of the first Splatfests.

Same, I don't level up my splatfest tees pre-fest either, but that was more or less my point. Not ALL veterans level up splatfest tees but generally noobs don't. Most of the people that do are the crazy competitive obsessed it rolls, mostly high rank/level people and their alts. Who among the group that has less than 30 hours in on the game and is in the low levels is really running around leveling up splatfest tees? It's something that people seem to think of later when they have nothing else to level up.
Again, it's an assumption. I was so hyped for the Splatfests in the beginning (GO TEAM CAT!) that I would always work on my Splatfest tee beforehand. My fiançée did the same as well when I gave her the game late last year. And neither of us are competitive players.

Honestly, I stopped unlocking the slots beforehand as my life has been falling apart; I've stopped caring. I'd probably still be working on the tees otherwise and maybe if things turn around I'll start working on those slots again.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Most of the time I'll work to get my shirt leveled up before the Splatfest begins, so I can play at more-or-less full strength. Rarely if ever do I get a good roll on the shirt, though, so I guess it's not the most important thing in the world.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
That happened to me back with one of the first Splatfests.

Again, it's an assumption. I was so hyped for the Splatfests in the beginning (GO TEAM CAT!) that I would always work on my Splatfest tee beforehand. My fiançée did the same as well when I gave her the game late last year. And neither of us are competitive players.

Honestly, I stopped unlocking the slots beforehand as my life has been falling apart; I've stopped caring. I'd probably still be working on the tees otherwise and maybe if things turn around I'll start working on those slots again.
Not so much an assumption as a broad but generally accurate stereotype of noobs and competitive players. It doesn't apply to everyone but as a broad stroke it's fairly accurate ;)

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I think judging from what I have seen. It seems like Night Owl is the more popular time. I hope the more popular team has a decent chance to win this team. I rather choose a Splatfest team that I truly support for instead of lying and joining the other team for the sake of having a better chance at winning the Splatfest.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Honestly, I don't feel all that attached to either team... I'd much rather wake up at a reasonable hour than stay up late or get up early. That said, I have a hard time staying up past 2 a.m. and have to get up a bit early for work, so I guess on balance I'm an early bird.

After a long play session today, it's mostly level 50 A and S ranks with a low level player thrown in just to mess with everyone. It was really bad today especially. Had several instances of a lobby with nothing but level 50s, and a level 8 or 9.

Though funny enough, looking at my plaza, there are a lot of very low leveled players appearing with their Splatfest miiverse post, and most of them are night owls. So there is a decent population, but not enough for the game to put them all together I guess.
Doesn't your own rank/level have an impact on who ends up being in your turf war lobbies? Most of my TW lobbies are like the ones you described: mostly level 50s with the occasional lower level squidkid. But when I join up with people who are a different level/rank than I am, I've noticed that the rest of the people in the lobby also tend to be lower levels that what I usually see in TW. Granted, that's just my experience; I don't really know how TW matchmaking works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom